PDA

View Full Version : Flozell Adams to get cut

patmoran2006
04-02-2010, 11:38 AM
Reports out of Dallas is that Cowboys OT Flozell Adams will be cut today.

Hmm.. Think there'll be interest here?

THATHURMANATOR
04-02-2010, 11:39 AM
yes

Slim
04-02-2010, 11:40 AM
Would be a good stop-gap. He's getting very old though, and he along with Cornell Green would draw a good amount of yellow laundry onto the field.

Goobylal
04-02-2010, 11:41 AM
Why would they cut him?

ddaryl
04-02-2010, 11:41 AM
He turns 35 next month... Does he have much left in the tank ????

Italian Stallion
04-02-2010, 11:42 AM
NO. With him and Cornell Green as the tackles we would never get to see this new offense Gailey is installing...because no snap would ever occur due to the amount of these bafoons illegal procedure penalties.

Absolutly would be PISSED if we sign him.

Slim
04-02-2010, 11:42 AM
This would allow us to go BPA at #9.

Dicknoze69
04-02-2010, 11:43 AM
Why would they cut him?

Doug Free arguably played better than Adams did at LT last season.

patmoran2006
04-02-2010, 11:44 AM
I say no.

He'll be 35 next season, near end of his career and is a penalty machine.

Plus, he'll want significant money.

justasportsfan
04-02-2010, 11:44 AM
camp body. Why not?

PromoTheRobot
04-02-2010, 11:45 AM
It's Earth Month...so we must be recycling every other team's garbage.

PTR

jimbohastle51
04-02-2010, 11:47 AM
nice find pat. he is the perfect stop gap for us. especially if we need a left tackle but my draft a left handed QB. with flozell if we do not draft tebow than we still have an above average LT and if we did draft a QB like tebow than we wouldnt have a bunch of guaranteed money locked up in a LT when a RT is the blindside. this would open us to take best player available at 9.

Dicknoze69
04-02-2010, 11:47 AM
I say no.

He'll be 35 next season, near end of his career and is a penalty machine.

Plus, he'll want significant money.

It really comes down to how much money Flozell wants. If he wants big bucks, no way. If he comes cheap because of lack of suitors, then sure. Either way, it won't affect our draft plans significantly because we still need OT help.

BuffaloBlitz83
04-02-2010, 11:48 AM
How is Flozell Adams garbage? He is a very good LT. He is dirty but he'd be our dirty player!

ddaryl
04-02-2010, 11:50 AM
We're rebuilding. This guy is not the answer for a team desperate for a long term solution at LT

Better off making the trade for Gaither IMO. If we signed him for depth it would be a good move because you need quality depth to absorb injuries and the obvious need to give guys a breather

OpIv37
04-02-2010, 11:53 AM
How is Flozell Adams garbage? He is a very good LT. He is dirty but he'd be our dirty player!

He WAS a very good LT. The dude is done. I'd take 2004 Flozell Adams in a heartbeat, but not 2010 Flozell Adams.

Ickybaluky
04-02-2010, 12:05 PM
Why would they cut him?

He was due to make $7.5M in salary, and they have a young OT in Doug Free who they think can step in and play the position.

They cut Ken Hamlin, too. He was way overpaid as well.

WeAreArthurMoates
04-02-2010, 12:07 PM
I'd be all for him if he was the RT, unfortunatly, we paid Green to that. I'd rather have Saffold in the 2nd than him.

TigerJ
04-02-2010, 12:11 PM
camp body. Why not?If what Pat says about him wanting significant money is true, that may not work. He'll want a good chunk of that money to be in the form of a signing bonus on a multi-year deal. Even though the league is uncapped at the moment, you know the Bills are not going to dabble in that kind of financial risk taking.

Beebe's Kid
04-02-2010, 12:24 PM
Would be a good stop-gap. He's getting very old though, and he along with Cornell Green would draw a good amount of yellow laundry onto the field.

You don't think he would start?

Kendall Simmons was a stop-gap... A guy you sign in the off season with hopes of him being a productive member of your first team is not a stop-gap. Although from reading around here, McNabb would be a stop-gap.

justasportsfan
04-02-2010, 12:25 PM
If what Pat says about him wanting significant money is true, that may not work. He'll want a good chunk of that money to be in the form of a signing bonus on a multi-year deal. Even though the league is uncapped at the moment, you know the Bills are not going to dabble in that kind of financial risk taking.
forget that then. He can retire .

patmoran2006
04-02-2010, 12:25 PM
This is what I blogged about it..

In a town as rabid about their football team as the Buffalo Bills, there is bound to be debate amongst fans when any notable football player hits the open market. That will likely be the case in the coming days after the Dallas Cowboys released former Pro Bowl offensive tackle Flozell Adams on Friday.

The fit only seems natural. Adams is a five-time Pro Bowler and a household name league-wide, and it doesn’t take an expert to realize Buffalo is in dire need of talent at left tackle.

Having said that, there’s no way the Bills should pursue him.

For starters, he’ll be 35 years old when next season starts. According to Stats, Inc Adams gave up a career-high eight sacks last year and was penalized nine times. He was also fined $50 grand for shoving New York Giants defender Justin Tuck from behind after a play had been blown dead.

The Bills already signed an offensive tackle long in the tooth in 11-year veteran Cornell Green last month, not to mention Adams won’t come to Buffalo on the cheap.

If the organization is smart it’ll stick to their plan of finding a left tackle early in the draft. When it comes to the offensive line the team needs a long-term solution, not another stop gap like Green. Plus, you can never predict how they’ll finish this season or if they’ll get a chance to draft a top three tackle in 2011.

If Trent Williams or Bryan Bulaga is on the board it should take Buddy Nix about four seconds to submit one of their names. Of course, Jimmy Clausen could have something to say about that if he’s there too.

But even if they are unable to resist Clausen, Buffalo should target a young tackle soon after.

The Bills are probably not contenders for 2010 and employing a pair of short term tackles makes too little sense for a guy like Nix.

The Spaz
04-02-2010, 12:27 PM
NO!

tatersalad
04-02-2010, 12:27 PM
He is streight garbage

NOT THE DUDE...
04-02-2010, 01:07 PM
we could get flozell adams for 2 years and then draft a lt in the 2nd round and go bpa in the first. i say do it...

SirMcGee
04-02-2010, 01:15 PM
Flozell Adams sucks. He's not what he used to be. This is why he's penalized so many times. He can't move his feet, so he has to resort to holdng, tripping and whatever else he needs to do.

No thanks

Mr. Miyagi
04-02-2010, 01:23 PM
Flozell Adams is this year's Orlando Pace.

Old and done.

Bill Cody
04-02-2010, 01:46 PM
Flozell Adams is this year's Orlando Pace.

Old and done.

I don't think he is. He is deaf in one ear which is the cause of all the false start penalties, those are annoying but the package as a whole is still pretty good. I think he has a couple solid years left, I really do. If we miss out on Bulaga and Williams we will still draft a tackle but it will likely be a project. I'd take Flo as a 2 year band aid all day. It's not like we have anything there now.

tatersalad
04-02-2010, 03:37 PM
I don't think he is. He is deaf in one ear which is the cause of all the false start penalties, those are annoying but the package as a whole is still pretty good. I think he has a couple solid years left, I really do. If we miss out on Bulaga and Williams we will still draft a tackle but it will likely be a project. I'd take Flo as a 2 year band aid all day. It's not like we have anything there now.

lokking at ur Avatar i see why you say that

BillsMan80
04-02-2010, 03:52 PM
There's actually a good reason to pursue this if he can come at a reduced price. For starters, most Offensive Tackles out of college can step right in and play. At other positions of our need like QB, WR, DL, etc, there is somewhat of a learning curve and it takes some time. This would allow Nix to really fortify the rest of the roster talentwise in time for when we are truly ready to compete and get to the playoffs. It would be a whole lot easier if two years down the line we have an established QB if Clausen is there, or an established defense if we go that way, or established playmakers on offense in Spiller or Bryant should we go that way.

Besides, I don't really see what's so special about any tackle other than Okung. Bulaga is good, but he seems like a good technician who really has reached his peak and he seems to be a guy that doesn't have that high of a ceiling and is more of a safe pick than an elite pick which is what you are looking for at 9. Trent Williams has major issues as there are big time questions as to whether he's really a Left Tackle or not and he has attitude issues and effort issues. I wouldn't touch a guy like that in the Top 10. And finally Anthony Davis as we all know is a huge boom-or-bust pick and a guy I would stay away from, from having seen him in Jersey at Rutgers.

While it would be nice to have a long term answer at LT, I am not sure it's there this year or we wouldn't be better off getting an elite talent elsewhere while bringing in Adams for 2 years or so.

Night Train
04-02-2010, 03:59 PM
He goes to a contending team, needing depth or insurance.

Not a team like the Bills who will need at least 2 more years of drafting to dig out of their current mess.

I've heard Nix say building through the draft is the way to go at least 10 times since January. I guess some are still not listening.

Mr Bills
04-02-2010, 05:15 PM
I wouldn't mind him at the right price. Signing him is not going to change the fact that we need to draft a LT in the first 2 rounds. Keep in mind, all of the top OTs taken last year (all much more talented than this year's except for Okung) played mostly RT in their rookie season so don't expect guys like Trent Williams, Rodger Stafold to come in and play LT right away.

Buddo
04-02-2010, 05:20 PM
He goes to a contending team, needing depth or insurance.

Not a team like the Bills who will need at least 2 more years of drafting to dig out of their current mess.

I've heard Nix say building through the draft is the way to go at least 10 times since January. I guess some are still not listening.

While I wouldn't argue the point about Nix building through the draft, I would say that I could see him pulling the trigger if Adams wasn't after silly money, and Nix believed he could still be good enough to start.
I think Nix would be prepared to do this, mainly due to the additional flexibility it could give him in the draft.
I would also see him still draft another tackle prospect, but perhaps not until the 3rd round, when the guy you get will not be ready to start immediately, but could be able to later on in the year if need be. That sort of move, could free up the #9 pick for us to take Dan Williams, for example, and give us a true basis for the switch to the 3-4.
I doubt it will happen tbh, but those are circumstances under which I could see it occurring, and I think that would fall more in line with 'plugging a gap' through FA, than being anything else.
I personally would still prefer to be drafting our LT with the #9 pick, but so much still depends on who jumps on other OTs and QBs, as to make a definitive decision, pretty much impossible to come by atm.

PECKERWOOD
04-02-2010, 10:42 PM
SIGN HIM NOW!!!!

Adams/Levitre/Hang/Wood/Davis

We'd have a poor man's Cleveland Browns OL, Trent Edwards would be a happy man.

Stewie
04-03-2010, 12:56 PM
Is he better than the best LT on our roster? If he is, bring him in for the right price. The draft is a crapshoot.

YardRat
04-03-2010, 02:05 PM
Is he better than the best LT on our roster? If he is, bring him in for the right price. The draft is a crapshoot.

Considering ours play like they are deaf in both ears, he just might be.

paranoid
04-03-2010, 06:57 PM
That's a nice article, Pat.

It seems that a lot of this rests on what Adams is looking for in compensation. A seasoned vet at LT would be beneficial for the right price (our line needs all the help it can get), but it doesn't detract from our need to draft in new blood. I just hope they don't go all Dockery/Walkery on us in desperation-based, expensive O-line vet signings. I don't see it from this regime, but you never know.

casdhf
04-04-2010, 02:53 PM
He is streight garbage lol