PDA

View Full Version : Report: Bills made offer, extension for McNabb

patmoran2006
04-04-2010, 10:28 PM
It’s public knowledge that the Buffalo Bills were interested in dealing for Donovan McNabb, who was traded to the Washington Redskins on late Sunday. What wasn’t known to this point is if the Bills actually made a trade offer to Philadelphia.

According to a Sunday night column (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AjbpMMLqKoqbzkGXmv2cG485nYcB?slug=jc-mcnabbtrade040410) from Jason Cole at Yahoo Sports, the Bills not only made an offer for McNabb, but were willing to give him an extension.

“When the Buffalo Bills expressed interest – and even were willing to give McNabb a contract extension – he passed on the offer.” Cole wrote in his column.

So regardless if you want to blast the Bills for failing to land McNabb, give Buddy Nix and the front office credit for attempting to better the team with a significant move. And assuming Cole’s column is accurate, you can’t tee off on Ralph Wilson for being cheap. Reportedly, he was willing to sign off on a contract extension that will surely command an annual eight-figure salary.

The bottom line is plain and simple; McNabb didn’t want to come to Buffalo. Andy Reid showed enough respect for his quarterback of 11 years to trade him to a team he wanted to play for unless there other options weren’t available.

You can’t fault for McNabb not wanting to come to Buffalo. He’s 33-years old and probably near the downside of his prime. The Bills are basically starting over with yet another regime and McNabb didn’t want to be part of a rebuilding project.

And don’t finger point at the Bills either—they did attempt to land him, and going as far to offer a lucrative extension shows Wilson was willing to pay the price.

Goobylal
04-04-2010, 10:30 PM
So pat, Ralph WAS willing to give McNabb an 8-figure salary, eh? ;)

patmoran2006
04-04-2010, 10:33 PM
According to Jason Cole, it sure sounds that way.

BuffaloBlakely14
04-04-2010, 10:33 PM
At least this may be proof of a new wind swirling at One Bills Drive, and hopefully we can put together a respectable organization and a couple years of success and maybe just maybe Buffalo can once again be a place where players want to come to, that is the most important thing that happens in the next year or two.

Mr. Pink
04-04-2010, 10:35 PM
Like this is news?

Didn't Donovan publicly state he had ZERO interest in coming here a month ago?

patmoran2006
04-04-2010, 10:41 PM
Like this is news?

Didn't Donovan publicly state he had ZERO interest in coming here a month ago?

I've never seen a report where it said that the Bills actually made an offer for McNabb, and were willing to give him an extension.

So I'd say yes.

clumping platelets
04-04-2010, 10:43 PM
:sadwalk:

BillsWin
04-04-2010, 10:45 PM
Key fact in all this was that he is 33. I'm sorry, but instead of giving up picks AND paying McNabb an extension, I would rather draft Clausen, let him sit or win the starting job fair and square, while using our second round pick on getting our young QB protection. Whether that is Saffold, some other prospect or Gaither.

Kudos to the Bills for trying though.

Mr. Pink
04-04-2010, 10:51 PM
I've never seen a report where it said that the Bills actually made an offer for McNabb, and were willing to give him an extension.

So I'd say yes.

Technically you're right...

The organization wasted hours, time and effort on a guy who had no interest coming here. His lack of interest was public knowledge.

Of course they can sit back and offer an 8 figure salary to the guy....why? They knew from the word go he wasn't going to come here.

But, this thread will be full of, "hey, at least they tried" posts!

Buddo
04-04-2010, 11:20 PM

The organization wasted hours, time and effort on a guy who had no interest coming here. His lack of interest was public knowledge.

Of course they can sit back and offer an 8 figure salary to the guy....why? They knew from the word go he wasn't going to come here.

Actually, by your logic, they wouldn't have had to waste much time and effort to make an offer, if they knew it was going to be refused.
How long does it take to say $11 million per year for 3 years, if you know you are going to be refused?
Less time than it took to type it, that's for sure.

djjimkelly
04-05-2010, 12:23 AM
the positive i take from this is very simple.

the bills dont like our own qbs

and im very fine with that

Demon
04-05-2010, 12:59 AM
Nice find Pat.

It's good to know the Bills tried. Them setting their sights on McNabb really tells me that they think they can get Clausen with a later pick or have another QB on their sights, maybe John Skelton?

I'm glad the Bills didn't get McNabb though. He's old and he wouldn't have the talent here to succeed. It would have given us false hope. I'm ok with another horrid season next year to get another top pick and build through the draft that way.

raphael120
04-05-2010, 01:02 AM
I dont know about you, but I don't find this kind of news encouraging, I find it discouraging.

This whole entire offseason can be summed up to Ralph wanting to spend money too little too late and because of the piss poor product the front office has fielded, we can't attract anyone worth a damn to join our team because of the fact that our team is such a mess right now. We should just start a list of people who we tried to get to come here but couldn't because of the garbage product the Bills have had:

1. Shanahan
2. Cowher (Admittedly he didn't coach anywhere, so whatever)
3. McNabb

Who knows how many more actual real difference making coaches/player we missed out on just due to reputation.

It remains to be seen how Washington ends up like with the addition of Shanahan and McNabb, but I guarantee it'll be a better record than the Bills. (PS, the Redskins WR situation sucks even worse than the Bills, IMHO)

Demon
04-05-2010, 01:03 AM
I dont know about you, but I don't find this kind of news encouraging, I find it discouraging.

This whole entire offseason can be summed up to Ralph wanting to spend money too little too late and because of the piss poor product the front office has fielded, we can't attract anyone worth a damn to join our team because of the fact that our team is such a mess right now. We should just start a list of people who we tried to get to come here but couldn't because of the garbage product the Bills have had:

1. Shanahan
2. Cowher (Admittedly he didn't coach anywhere, so whatever)
3. McNabb

Who knows how many more actual real difference making coaches/player we missed out on just due to reputation.

It remains to be seen how Washington ends up like with the addition of Shanahan and McNabb, but I guarantee it'll be a better record than the Bills. (PS, the Redskins WR situation sucks even worse than the Bills, IMHO)

Not after they draft Dez Bryant.

raphael120
04-05-2010, 01:03 AM
Nice find Pat.

It's good to know the Bills tried. Them setting their sights on McNabb really tells me that they think they can get Clausen with a later pick or have another QB on their sights, maybe John Skelton?

I'm glad the Bills didn't get McNabb though. He's old and he wouldn't have the talent here to succeed. It would have given us false hope. I'm ok with another horrid season next year to get another top pick and build through the draft that way.

Shouldn't the Bills pursuit of McNabb tell you more about the LACK of confidence they have in the QB talent in the draft? If we were so in love with a QB in the draft, why blow a ton of money on a so called "False hope" signing. I'd take McNabb over T.O. 500 times.

raphael120
04-05-2010, 01:09 AM
Not after they draft Dez Bryant.

Touche'...but look who Mcnabb has had to work with and made over 800 yard receivers:

Kevin Curtis
Hank Baskett
Reggie Brown

Demon
04-05-2010, 01:10 AM
Shouldn't the Bills pursuit of McNabb tell you more about the LACK of confidence they have in the QB talent in the draft? If we were so in love with a QB in the draft, why blow a ton of money on a so called "False hope" signing. I'd take McNabb over T.O. 500 times.

Well, yeah that too. McNabb is a HUGE upgrade over what we have. But, we still need a lot of work. We'll need to develop a QB somehow, someway, and if the current guys can't be trusted for this year, i doubt they see them for the future. (unless they love brohm)..... let a guy sit behind McNabb for a few years and learn. Then turn the keys over.

Michael82
04-05-2010, 01:33 AM
This tells me that the season ticket renewal rate is way down and the Bills wanted to make a "splash" to sell tickets and merchandise. I have a feeling we have only sold 40,000 season tickets so far compared to the over 55,000 last year. This also tells me that the Bills will draft either Clausen or Tebow to excite some of the fan base and sell jerseys and tickets.

Thief
04-05-2010, 06:09 AM
Mr. Moran, this guy offers no source and you added the word lucrative. Come on man.

tampabay25690
04-05-2010, 06:18 AM

The logic I take is the BILLS tried to land a top 5 QB in the NFL.....

WeAreArthurMoates
04-05-2010, 07:55 AM

Ya this is what I got from it too. Im thrilled cause not only will we add one more qb, it will most likely be a starting calibar one.

Saratoga Slim
04-05-2010, 08:11 AM

Dude, I often agree with you, but this time you're way off.

Players are very often traded to teams that they don't want to go to. Why not test the Eagles' willingness to give Mcnabb veto power by providing an attractive offer? The Eagles wanted to make McNabb happy, but don't think for a second that they wouldnt have shipped McNabb to Buffalo or Oakland if they couldn't find another trade partner.

If the Bills wanted to see him here, they would have been idiots not to make a play.

Mr. Miyagi
04-05-2010, 09:31 AM
You can’t fault for McNabb not wanting to come to Buffalo. He’s 33-years old and probably near the downside of his prime. The Bills are basically starting over with yet another regime and McNabb didn’t want to be part of a rebuilding project.
How's Washington not starting over with yet another regime and rebuilding?