Can someone give me a legitimate reason why Clausen will be a bust?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • THATHURMANATOR
    • Jul 2002

Can someone give me a legitimate reason why Clausen will be a bust?

Most people just say that "he doesn't seem like an NFL QB to me" or "He will be a bust" without any reasoning.

I have only see a few people actually give me a legitimate reason.

Everytime I saw him play this season he played great.

His stats, accuracy, size and arm strength are all great.

Don't act like I am some ND homer either because I hate ND.
  • buffalobillsfan95
    • Jan 2010

Re: Can someone give me a legitimate reason why Clausen will be a bust?

i've once read that it was his ego... but i like him more cuz of his ego because he's tuff, wants to win, and wasn't T.O the same way and he had a great carreer
    “The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.” -Albert Einstein

Comment

• Mathja
      • Feb 2009

Isn't there some kind of formula that Parcells uses to determine if a college qb will be a success in the pros? number of years/games started, number of wins, completion percentage?????
      I think this guy probably meets all of the criteria for success. Throw into the mix a 28 to 4 TD to interception ratio this year and years in Charlie Weiss' pro-style offense and to me it seems like as good a bet as any at that position.
      Here is the problem -- People don't like his perceived ****y attitude. People actually don't like his appearance (he does look like a punk in some pictures floating around). Lastly, people are afraid to swing and miss on a top-10 QB. It's a career killer for talent evaluators because it's such a highly publicized draft pick.
      I think his talent is there. I think the Bills have been pretty bad, basically since Jim Kelly left. If you have a shot to finally draft what could be a franchise QB, you've got to take it.

Comment

• methos4ever
        • Apr 2004

For me, the tangible reasons would be his happy feet, his throwing off of the back foot (because of the aforementioned happy feet) and his tendency at times to go from looking off the safety to staring down Golden (or Floyd) the entire play.

My irrational reason is that he's a doucher. I love Rivers, who is also a bit of a doucher, but to me, Clausen's "douchbaggery" is more annoying than inspiring. However, should he become a Bill, he might be a doucher, but by God, he's our doucher....

Comment

• THRILLHO
          This is great, and all I've done is enter my name!
          • Feb 2009

Let me amend everyone's statement about Clausen being bust:

"If Jimmy Clausen is drafted by the Buffalo Bills, he will bust."
          True fans want wins, not draft picks.

Comment

• ddaryl
            Everything I post is sexual inuendo
            • Jan 2005

he has a weird haricut....

my only beef is his accuracy. I saw lots of passes he has thrown be more of a testament to Tate's ability as a WR to go and get the ball.

Comparing him to bradford it is easy to see how much more accurate bradford is in comparison...

but Clausen has the arm needed for Buffalo, where Bradford might struggle here in the winter...

I would not be upset if we end up drafting Clausen at #9

Comment

• patmoran2006
              Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
              • Dec 2005

Statistical-wise, there's not really anything you can say about him, other than he takes too many sacks.

His 2009 numbers were outstanding.

He threw 16 TDs and 2 INT over his last seven games and had at least 325 yards passing in three of his last four games.

However, 5 of those last 7 games were losses, which is a reason he gets criticized a lot--- for not being able to get Notre Dame more wins.

I'm not saying its justified or not, I'm saying its the way it is.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

• OpIv37
                Acid Douching Asswipe
                • Sep 2002

as a Notre Dame fan, I watched pretty much every snap the guy ever played.

He's accurate, he doesn't throw INT's and while his arm strength isn't the greatest, it's certainly not a liability.

But I still think he has the potential to be a bust.

He has a weird delivery (the aforementioned back foot/happy feet thing), he benefited from having good WR's, he tends to be on the immature side and while he does want to win, he doesn't seem to be a natural leader. For me, that's where the concern comes in.
                MiKiDo Facebook
                MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Mathja
                  • Feb 2009

A few more thoughts.
                  Having a good young QB completely changes the perception of a franchise. A lot of coaches probably didn't want to even consider the Buffalo head coaching vacancy (Cowher, Shanahan, Chucky) -- and I bet that had a lot to do with the QB situation.
                  The jets were a doormat. They draft Sanchez (and add a coach with some spunk) and now they're viewed upon as a contender -- and they obviously are. Free agents notice that. And current players start to think of themselves as winners.
                  One more thing...i think that Clausen's personality on the field seems a lot like Phillip Rivers. And as a fan, we really know a lot more about his personality on the field than off of it. Many are speculating about what he's like off the field and with his teammates, but the stories that came out this week seem to completely debunk that his teammates don't like him.
                  I'm on board to give this guy a shot at QB if he's there at 9.

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by ddaryl
                    he has a weird haricut....

my only beef is his accuracy. I saw lots of passes he has thrown be more of a testament to Tate's ability as a WR to go and get the ball.

Comparing him to bradford it is easy to see how much more accurate bradford is in comparison...

but Clausen has the arm needed for Buffalo, where Bradford might struggle here in the winter...

I would not be upset if we end up drafting Clausen at #9
                    Is Bradford more accurate in comparison though? Clausen completed 68% of his passes last year.

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
                      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by OpIv37
                      as a Notre Dame fan, I watched pretty much every snap the guy ever played.

He's accurate, he doesn't throw INT's and while his arm strength isn't the greatest, it's certainly not a liability.

But I still think he has the potential to be a bust.

He has a weird delivery (the aforementioned back foot/happy feet thing), he benefited from having good WR's, he tends to be on the immature side and while he does want to win, he doesn't seem to be a natural leader. For me, that's where the concern comes in.
                      The only reason you give here is "Happy Feet" which can be easily corrected.

His arm motion in his delivery looks text book.

Comment

• methos4ever
                        • Apr 2004

Originally posted by THATHURMANATOR
                        The only reason you give here is "Happy Feet" which can be easily corrected.

His arm motion in his delivery looks text book.
                        Thurm, that's true, but even when he had a clean pocket he had the happy feet, which is to me disconcerting. I think that if he is here in Buffalo, that happy feet problem would be exacerbated.

And to follow up on the accuracy statement made by a poster above, there's a difference to me in Bradfords throws to a receiver in stride and where only they can get them (spread offense or not) compared to some of Clausen's rainbows, where a fantastic catch by his receiver allowed his percentage to stay sky high.

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
                          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by methos4ever

And to follow up on the accuracy statement made by a poster above, there's a difference to me in Bradfords throws to a receiver in stride and where only they can get them (spread offense or not) compared to some of Clausen's rainbows, where a fantastic catch by his receiver allowed his percentage to stay sky high.
                          This "Clausen rainbow prayer" throws are WAAAAY overstated as well. Sure there were some but definitely not a large percentage of his completions. IMO a lot of his deep passes were right on the money and hit the receivers in stride.

Comment

• Mr. Pink
                            Peterman Sucks!
                            • Mar 2006

He suffers from Brady Quinn syndrome...

Puts up his big numbers against weaker schools and somewhat disappears against more talented schools.

Problem is in the NFL there are no Nevada's to beat up on to pad your stats.

The other problem is Quinn was a much better QB in the same system and we've all seen how well the skills transfered.

Is that a legitimate reason Corey?

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by FunTimesYaY!
                              He suffers from Brady Quinn syndrome...

Puts up his big numbers against weaker schools and somewhat disappears against more talented schools.

Problem is in the NFL there are no Nevada's to beat up on to pad your stats.

The other problem is Quinn was a much better QB in the same system and we've all seen how well the skills transfered.

Is that a legitimate reason Corey?
                              Actually not at all. It is exactly what I am talking about.

I am talking arm strength, accuracy, size, accuracy etc.

Comment

Working...
                              X