PDA

View Full Version : Can someone give me a legitimate reason why Clausen will be a bust?

THATHURMANATOR
04-05-2010, 08:06 AM
Most people just say that "he doesn't seem like an NFL QB to me" or "He will be a bust" without any reasoning.

I have only see a few people actually give me a legitimate reason.

Everytime I saw him play this season he played great.

His stats, accuracy, size and arm strength are all great.

Don't act like I am some ND homer either because I hate ND.

buffalobillsfan95
04-05-2010, 08:13 AM
i've once read that it was his ego... but i like him more cuz of his ego because he's tuff, wants to win, and wasn't T.O the same way and he had a great carreer

Mathja
04-05-2010, 08:17 AM
Isn't there some kind of formula that Parcells uses to determine if a college qb will be a success in the pros? number of years/games started, number of wins, completion percentage?????
I think this guy probably meets all of the criteria for success. Throw into the mix a 28 to 4 TD to interception ratio this year and years in Charlie Weiss' pro-style offense and to me it seems like as good a bet as any at that position.
Here is the problem -- People don't like his perceived ****y attitude. People actually don't like his appearance (he does look like a punk in some pictures floating around). Lastly, people are afraid to swing and miss on a top-10 QB. It's a career killer for talent evaluators because it's such a highly publicized draft pick.
I think his talent is there. I think the Bills have been pretty bad, basically since Jim Kelly left. If you have a shot to finally draft what could be a franchise QB, you've got to take it.

methos4ever
04-05-2010, 08:20 AM
For me, the tangible reasons would be his happy feet, his throwing off of the back foot (because of the aforementioned happy feet) and his tendency at times to go from looking off the safety to staring down Golden (or Floyd) the entire play.

My irrational reason is that he's a doucher. I love Rivers, who is also a bit of a doucher, but to me, Clausen's "douchbaggery" is more annoying than inspiring. However, should he become a Bill, he might be a doucher, but by God, he's our doucher....

THRILLHO
Let me amend everyone's statement about Clausen being bust:

"If Jimmy Clausen is drafted by the Buffalo Bills, he will bust."

ddaryl
he has a weird haricut....

my only beef is his accuracy. I saw lots of passes he has thrown be more of a testament to Tate's ability as a WR to go and get the ball.

Comparing him to bradford it is easy to see how much more accurate bradford is in comparison...

but Clausen has the arm needed for Buffalo, where Bradford might struggle here in the winter...

I would not be upset if we end up drafting Clausen at #9

patmoran2006
04-05-2010, 08:21 AM
Statistical-wise, there's not really anything you can say about him, other than he takes too many sacks.

His 2009 numbers were outstanding.

He threw 16 TDs and 2 INT over his last seven games and had at least 325 yards passing in three of his last four games.

However, 5 of those last 7 games were losses, which is a reason he gets criticized a lot--- for not being able to get Notre Dame more wins.

I'm not saying its justified or not, I'm saying its the way it is.

OpIv37
04-05-2010, 08:23 AM
as a Notre Dame fan, I watched pretty much every snap the guy ever played.

He's accurate, he doesn't throw INT's and while his arm strength isn't the greatest, it's certainly not a liability.

But I still think he has the potential to be a bust.

He has a weird delivery (the aforementioned back foot/happy feet thing), he benefited from having good WR's, he tends to be on the immature side and while he does want to win, he doesn't seem to be a natural leader. For me, that's where the concern comes in.

Mathja
04-05-2010, 08:23 AM
A few more thoughts.
Having a good young QB completely changes the perception of a franchise. A lot of coaches probably didn't want to even consider the Buffalo head coaching vacancy (Cowher, Shanahan, Chucky) -- and I bet that had a lot to do with the QB situation.
The jets were a doormat. They draft Sanchez (and add a coach with some spunk) and now they're viewed upon as a contender -- and they obviously are. Free agents notice that. And current players start to think of themselves as winners.
One more thing...i think that Clausen's personality on the field seems a lot like Phillip Rivers. And as a fan, we really know a lot more about his personality on the field than off of it. Many are speculating about what he's like off the field and with his teammates, but the stories that came out this week seem to completely debunk that his teammates don't like him.
I'm on board to give this guy a shot at QB if he's there at 9.

THATHURMANATOR
04-05-2010, 08:28 AM
he has a weird haricut....

my only beef is his accuracy. I saw lots of passes he has thrown be more of a testament to Tate's ability as a WR to go and get the ball.

Comparing him to bradford it is easy to see how much more accurate bradford is in comparison...

but Clausen has the arm needed for Buffalo, where Bradford might struggle here in the winter...

I would not be upset if we end up drafting Clausen at #9
Is Bradford more accurate in comparison though? Clausen completed 68% of his passes last year.

THATHURMANATOR
04-05-2010, 08:30 AM

He's accurate, he doesn't throw INT's and while his arm strength isn't the greatest, it's certainly not a liability.

He has a weird delivery (the aforementioned back foot/happy feet thing), he benefited from having good WR's, he tends to be on the immature side and while he does want to win, he doesn't seem to be a natural leader. For me, that's where the concern comes in.
The only reason you give here is "Happy Feet" which can be easily corrected.

His arm motion in his delivery looks text book.

methos4ever
04-05-2010, 08:38 AM
The only reason you give here is "Happy Feet" which can be easily corrected.

His arm motion in his delivery looks text book.
Thurm, that's true, but even when he had a clean pocket he had the happy feet, which is to me disconcerting. I think that if he is here in Buffalo, that happy feet problem would be exacerbated.

And to follow up on the accuracy statement made by a poster above, there's a difference to me in Bradfords throws to a receiver in stride and where only they can get them (spread offense or not) compared to some of Clausen's rainbows, where a fantastic catch by his receiver allowed his percentage to stay sky high.

THATHURMANATOR
04-05-2010, 08:47 AM
And to follow up on the accuracy statement made by a poster above, there's a difference to me in Bradfords throws to a receiver in stride and where only they can get them (spread offense or not) compared to some of Clausen's rainbows, where a fantastic catch by his receiver allowed his percentage to stay sky high.

This "Clausen rainbow prayer" throws are WAAAAY overstated as well. Sure there were some but definitely not a large percentage of his completions. IMO a lot of his deep passes were right on the money and hit the receivers in stride.

Mr. Pink
04-05-2010, 08:53 AM
He suffers from Brady Quinn syndrome...

Puts up his big numbers against weaker schools and somewhat disappears against more talented schools.

Problem is in the NFL there are no Nevada's to beat up on to pad your stats.

The other problem is Quinn was a much better QB in the same system and we've all seen how well the skills transfered.

Is that a legitimate reason Corey?

THATHURMANATOR
04-05-2010, 08:55 AM

Puts up his big numbers against weaker schools and somewhat disappears against more talented schools.

The other problem is Quinn was a much better QB in the same system and we've all seen how well the skills transfered.

Actually not at all. It is exactly what I am talking about.

I am talking arm strength, accuracy, size, accuracy etc.

methos4ever
04-05-2010, 08:59 AM
This "Clausen rainbow prayer" throws are WAAAAY overstated as well. Sure there were some but definitely not a large percentage of his completions. IMO a lot of his deep passes were right on the money and hit the receivers in stride.
I'll agree to disagree with you on that, and point to the fact that a majority of his throws deep that weren't of the "rainbow prayer" variety were against inferior competition.

I'll point to my alma mater (Pitt) in particular, where I saw several rainbows, but mostly good solid throws due to Wannstedt's reliance on off coverage with sub par corner/safety talent.

Mr. Pink
04-05-2010, 09:00 AM

He can beat up on lesser talent because he does have talent but not enough talent to help/carry the team to victories against stronger opposition.

In the NFL all the opponents are stronger...even the lowly Cleveland Browns.

Better way of putting it?

THATHURMANATOR
04-05-2010, 09:01 AM
He can beat up on lesser talent because he does have talent but not enough talent to help/carry the team to victories against stronger opposition.

In the NFL all the opponents are stronger...even the lowly Cleveland Browns.

Better way of putting it?
No.

It does not explain anything in regards to physical aspects. IE arm strength, accuracy, size, etc.

methos4ever
04-05-2010, 09:06 AM
Thurm, perhaps Op can speak to this more as a ND fan, but I'll readily admit I'm a ND hater. However, I am now a bigger fan of ND because of Clausen going there. When he stated in HS he wanted to go to ND because of the pro coaching and the ability to prove his family is not filled with busts at the NFL level I applauded him.

However, as I watched him in games, decisions as a quarterback on the field and behaviors on the sideline turned me off on the kid.

He's got a bust factor that is scarier than Losman to me, because frankly at least at the time there was a hope we'd have him on the bench for a while behind Bledsoe. If we get Clausen and he starts week one with his shortcomings not being addressed, he may fail before year 3. He's risky, very risky. To me.

THATHURMANATOR
04-05-2010, 09:08 AM
Thurm, perhaps Op can speak to this more as a ND fan, but I'll readily admit I'm a ND hater. However, I am now a bigger fan of ND because of Clausen going there. When he stated in HS he wanted to go to ND because of the pro coaching and the ability to prove his family is not filled with busts at the NFL level I applauded him.

However, as I watched him in games, decisions as a quarterback on the field and behaviors on the sideline turned me off on the kid.

He's got a bust factor that is scarier than Losman to me, because frankly at least at the time there was a hope we'd have him on the bench for a while behind Bledsoe. If we get Clausen and he starts week one with his shortcomings not being addressed, he may fail before year 3. He's risky, very risky. To me.
Are people just messing with me now?

Again people talk about this "bust factor" but don't explain why at all.

Behaviors on the sideline? What???

OpIv37
04-05-2010, 09:14 AM
As far as off the field incidents go, I only remember one and it involved a photo of him drinking underage. Personally, I could care less- I drank underage in college, as did pretty much everybody that I know.

His on the field decision-making improved tremendously from his first season at ND to this most recent one. The only real decision-making problem I can recall him having is looking for the big play too often, which is a bi-product of having Floyd and Tate as WR's.

His on-the-field attitude and sideline demeanor is where it breaks down for me though. All the great QB's seem to be able to take over games and will their teams to victories, whereas Clausen (and ND's offense as a whole) seemed to have more of a "Gee, I sure hope this works!" attitude.

Basically, I think Clausen has the physical tools to be a great QB, but I'm not sure if he has the maturity or the attitude, and that's what concerns me.

Mathja
04-05-2010, 09:14 AM
Thurm, that's true, but even when he had a clean pocket he had the happy feet, which is to me disconcerting. I think that if he is here in Buffalo, that happy feet problem would be exacerbated.

Nobody in the NFL has happier feet than Peyton Manning. Look at the tape.

THATHURMANATOR
04-05-2010, 09:15 AM
As far as off the field incidents go, I only remember one and it involved a photo of him drinking underage. Personally, I could care less- I drank underage in college, as did pretty much everybody that I know.

His on the field decision-making improved tremendously from his first season at ND to this most recent one. The only real decision-making problem I can recall him having is looking for the big play too often, which is a bi-product of having Floyd and Tate as WR's.

His on-the-field attitude and sideline demeanor is where it breaks down for me though. All the great QB's seem to be able to take over games and will their teams to victories, whereas Clausen (and ND's offense as a whole) seemed to have more of a "Gee, I sure hope this works!" attitude.

Basically, I think Clausen has the physical tools to be a great QB, but I'm not sure if he has the maturity or the attitude, and that's what concerns me.
Better answer.

Everyone matures as they get older though.

dasaybz
04-05-2010, 09:18 AM

I think this is more of a reflection on Weiss and not Clausen. Weiss always had that look on his face. You know, the one where it looks like he's about to drop a huge **** in his gigantic pants.

Mathja
04-05-2010, 09:20 AM

I think the 28-4 TD to INT ratio says a lot about his on-field decision-making. Is there a better category to quantify this aspect of his game?

And by the way, i think the ND defense was more responsible for their win-loss record than Jimmy Clausen was. Weiss got fired because he didn't pay enough attention to the defense -- both on the field and during the recruiting season.

methos4ever
04-05-2010, 09:25 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but is there any argument that's going to sway anyone on any of these conversations? I know you're looking for evidence to change your mind, but it seems nothing short of a Perry Mason-esque closing will do that.

To Recap:

Pros
He's gotten better every year he's played
He's been in the fishbowl of Notre Dame
Most Pro ready Junior most likely ever
Played in a pro system that has been proven to be successful in NFL
Ridiculous TD-Int / Accuracy
Has the loyalty of many of his teammates

Cons
Turns some off with attitude
Will rainbow throws
Had a phenomenal cast of offensive talent (don't forget Carlson)
Can have happy feet even in a clean pocket (to be fair from some of his bad line experiences)

And to the poster with regard to Peyton's happy feet you are correct, you get no fight out of me. However, Peyton's happy feet also include not resetting his reads, which does happen to Clausen as he starts to move around the pocket. Peyton, while he is very frenetic with his feet, stays within the tackles.

DrGraves
04-05-2010, 09:25 AM
The Bills are only capable of drafting busts.

dasaybz
04-05-2010, 09:27 AM

You mean like Jairus Byrd?

DraftBoy
04-05-2010, 09:35 AM
Thurm nobody can give you a legitimate reason because you're just going to say "well he can fix that" as a response. This is pointless, you've been given numerous reasons to have pause for concern in this thread and in the 20 or 30 other Clausen threads. If you don't want to accept them that's your thing, and its no big deal, but the negatives are out there.

THATHURMANATOR
04-05-2010, 09:48 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but is there any argument that's going to sway anyone on any of these conversations? I know you're looking for evidence to change your mind, but it seems nothing short of a Perry Mason-esque closing will do that.

To Recap:

Pros
He's gotten better every year he's played
He's been in the fishbowl of Notre Dame
Most Pro ready Junior most likely ever
Played in a pro system that has been proven to be successful in NFL
Ridiculous TD-Int / Accuracy
Has the loyalty of many of his teammates

Cons
Turns some off with attitude
Will rainbow throws
Had a phenomenal cast of offensive talent (don't forget Carlson)
Can have happy feet even in a clean pocket (to be fair from some of his bad line experiences)

And to the poster with regard to Peyton's happy feet you are correct, you get no fight out of me. However, Peyton's happy feet also include not resetting his reads, which does happen to Clausen as he starts to move around the pocket. Peyton, while he is very frenetic with his feet, stays within the tackles.
Good post. Now we are getting somewhere.

OpIv37
04-05-2010, 09:50 AM

well, the Bills are terrible at evaluating talent, and when they do actually find raw talent by dumb luck, they're even worse at developing that talent into legit NFL playmakers.

So, it's not entirely true that the Bills are only capable of drafting busts, but being drafted by Buffalo definitely increases a player's changes of becoming a bust.

THATHURMANATOR
04-05-2010, 09:50 AM
Thurm nobody can give you a legitimate reason because you're just going to say "well he can fix that" as a response. This is pointless, you've been given numerous reasons to have pause for concern in this thread and in the 20 or 30 other Clausen threads. If you don't want to accept them that's your thing, and its no big deal, but the negatives are out there.
You are correct but that is just my opinion.

I know you have probably already said these 20 times but I think this thread is actually starting to go somewhere.

What are your reasons you think Clausen will be a bust/good qb?

OpIv37
04-05-2010, 09:52 AM
I think this is more of a reflection on Weiss and not Clausen. Weiss always had that look on his face. You know, the one where it looks like he's about to drop a huge **** in his gigantic pants.

very possible.... I know the look. But I always thought it was because Weis's pregame meal was an entire bucket of KFC and a large vanilla frappachino.

psubills62
04-05-2010, 09:53 AM
I'm sure many people have already pointed these out to you, but here you go:

http://billszone.com/fanzone/showpost.php?p=3072626&postcount=1

http://billszone.com/fanzone/showpost.php?p=3073305&postcount=7

Novacane
04-05-2010, 10:19 AM
he doesn't seem to be a natural leader.

That's reason enough for me to not want him. We've had enough qb's like that.

PcA125
04-05-2010, 10:32 AM

I think this is a valid point, Quinn put up some pretty great numbers and stunk it up in the NFL. However, I did like last year when he had some drives down the field even when he was not 100% (I think it was his foot, I dont really watch too much ND football) That shows me leadership and command/ respect of his team.

On a side note... we can try to scare other teams with THE CLAW:brace:

better days
04-05-2010, 10:33 AM

I would also be concerned about the fact that he was Coached by the best Offensive pro style coach in college. Has he maxed out his potential?

Night Train
04-05-2010, 10:39 AM
I'm sure many people have already pointed these out to you, but here you go:

http://billszone.com/fanzone/showpost.php?p=3072626&postcount=1

http://billszone.com/fanzone/showpost.php?p=3073305&postcount=7

Those Ingtar posts were spot on, plus another site that showed how rarely the guy threw passes between the hashmarks. So reading the Safety or a LB in a middle zone is something he has little experience doing. That means the seam route to the TE or the quick slant was a rare play in his ND days.

Having watched a certain #7 recently force balls into coverage he didn't recognize, I have good reason not wishing to gamble in Round 1 on a QB who has many shortcomings.

Ginger Vitis
04-05-2010, 11:48 AM
Are the same posters complaining that Trent Edwards should have trusted his receivers more and thrown more balls up and let his receivers make plays knocking Clausen for throwing up passes and trusting Tate or Floyd to make plays?

TacklingDummy
04-05-2010, 11:53 AM
Most people just say that "he doesn't seem like an NFL QB to me" or "He will be a bust" without any reasoning.

Funny thing is the keyboard draft experts around here claim Clausen will be a bust but yet they think Campbell would be a good option for the Bills.

THATHURMANATOR
04-05-2010, 11:57 AM
Funny thing is the keyboard draft experts around here claim Clausen will be a bust but yet they think Campbell would be a good option for the Bills.
I would take Campbell but only because he is better than what we have. I would much rather have Clausen.

psubills62
04-05-2010, 12:00 PM

Hahaha how is this much of a comparison?

Speaking for myself, first of all, I don't believe Campbell is a long-term solution for us at QB. But he IS a lot better than anything we have currently.

Secondly, if we were to theoretically trade for Jason Campbell, it shouldn't cost anything more than a 3rd round draft pick or a player or two. Taking Clausen would require using a first round pick. That's a huge difference.

Would I take Clausen in the second round? Sure, he might be worth it there. Do I want him in the 1st? Not for a second.

Nighthawk
04-05-2010, 12:10 PM
Hey Thurm, you know how many people on this board can predict the bust factor with Claussen? The number is ZERO...and the people saying they don't want him are probably the same people saying they didn't want the Bills to draft Orakpo last year because he went to Texas. Nobody knows who will bust or won't bust...if they did, they'd be employed by an NFL team as a psychic!

EDS
04-05-2010, 12:22 PM

A few reasons:

Ryan Leaf
Cade McNown
Akili Smith
Tim Couch
Andre Ware
JaMarcus Russell
J.P. Losman
David Carr
Joey Harrington
Alex Smith
David Klingler
Rick Mirer
Heath Shuler
Jim Druckenmiller
Dan McGuire
Tommy Maddox

THATHURMANATOR
04-05-2010, 12:26 PM
A few reasons:

Ryan Leaf
Cade McNown
Akili Smith
Tim Couch
Andre Ware
JaMarcus Russell
J.P. Losman
David Carr
Joey Harrington
Alex Smith
David Klingler
Rick Mirer
Heath Shuler
Jim Druckenmiller
Dan McGuire
Tommy Maddox

******ed.

THATHURMANATOR
04-05-2010, 12:27 PM
Hey Thurm, you know how many people on this board can predict the bust factor with Claussen? The number is ZERO...and the people saying they don't want him are probably the same people saying they didn't want the Bills to draft Orakpo last year because he went to Texas. Nobody knows who will bust or won't bust...if they did, they'd be employed by an NFL team as a psychic!
:bf1:

Mr. Miyagi
04-05-2010, 12:31 PM
http://www.notredamesucks.org/clausen.jpg

Mr. Miyagi
04-05-2010, 12:36 PM

I am talking arm strength, accuracy, size, accuracy etc. Thurm wants hard numbers and stats but is dismissing all the issues in the intangables: character, leadership, attitude, decision making, etc.

dasaybz
04-05-2010, 12:38 PM
What issues with intangibles, character, leadership and attitude?

Got any specific examples?

Mr. Miyagi
04-05-2010, 12:40 PM

Read the last 3 pages.

THATHURMANATOR
04-05-2010, 12:58 PM
http://www.notredamesucks.org/clausen.jpg
That is clearly photoshopped for Christ sakes. COME ON PEOPLE.

THATHURMANATOR
04-05-2010, 12:59 PM

Yeah

THATHURMANATOR
04-05-2010, 12:59 PM
Read the last 3 pages.
Why nothing about that is really talked about.

Ingtar33
04-05-2010, 01:15 PM
http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=183869

I talk about Clausen there. You want reasons read that.

he'll probably be the first QB off the board unless Bradford can throw at a really high level before the draft. His height and low release point, and rather slow delivery are all big knocks against him.

His inability to look to the left side of the field during his progression scares me to death, that was what undid Rick Mirer's career. Unlike Mirer, he can actually throw the ball to that side... so maybe it's just the design of the Notre Dame offense.

Either way, it only took me 5 passes to notice that, and so i watched for it, through 119 passes 84 went right, 9 went left on a dump-off or designed screen to that side, and 6 went left because of a pre-snap read. Not one pass went left as a result of the standard progression of the play. And that really bothered me. Hell, only 20 passes were between the hash-marks (which bugged me too).

Clausen scares me when i watch him. I see his deliberate delivery, and predictable progression and i think "if i was a defensive coordinator it would be really easy to shut him down, and figure out where the play is going". Just 30 plays in and i could tell where every one of his passes was going before he made up his own mind.

On one hand that's a compliment, because he was throwing to open men. On the other hand its a big negative because i was using visual clues that every safety and CB and most LBers in the league will be able to key off. 119 pass and not one pump fake. No kidding. he didn't try once to pump fake. 119 passes and the only time he looked off a safety was during his drop back and he had already decided during the pre-snap read where he was going with the ball (he feet, hips and shoulders gave it away).. that said he did a great job looking off the safeties... even if he was giving signs where the ball was going. This was largely because he made countless excellent pre-snap reads.

He was very well coached, he's like a robot, if you've seen him throw a 10 yard out, it looked the same on every game tape. he threw it on the same moment in every one. He looked identical throwing every one. That's a big compliment to Coach Weis... he clearly coached and developed Clausen well.

Will he succeed at the pro level? Maybe. he has a lot to overcome and develop. any team taking him in round one would be advised to keep him on the bench for a few weeks. He might even see some success early if he starts right away. but the QB i saw in those 3 games wouldn't have to play long (just 2 or 3 games) before defensive coordinators started to prey on his bad habits.

Probably first QB off the board. astronomically high bust potential.

I say he has a high bust potential because he really gives away where he's throwing, and it takes far too long for the ball to leave his hand.

In the pros he'll be a sack and turnover machine until he can work those bad habits out. I'm not talking about a Tebow style slowness to his throwing motion. I'm talking about once he finds his target it takes him a long time to set his feet, and then throw, it's deliberate, slow and really cornerbacks in the pros will love him because of it.. it's a long time that he won't have in the pros, so DEs will love him too.

The only times the ball left his hand quickly was when he made a presnap read and threw on time. he did a good job of setting his feet at the top of his drop back and letting go. but if that look wasn't there and he was forced to adjust it took forever for the ball to leave his hand once he found his target.

Tebow took a lot of grief (rightly so) for his long windup because it was so obvious. Clausen's long delivery is about as slow... if not slower... but he gets no grief because it's not as obvious or consistent (it is on tape if you know what you're looking at) and it's largely dependent on the throw he's making.

OpIv37
04-05-2010, 01:38 PM
As some people have pointed out, no one knows for sure. No one can sit here and tell you "I know Clausen will be a bust because of A, B, and C." But certainly, there are concerns. So, for me, it breaks down like this.

I don't think this team should draft Clausen because:
A. The concerns about him that have been noted here and in other threads
B. At the moment, this team lacks both WR's and OL's, which would hold back ANY QB, vet or rookie
C. This is related to B- this team has a TON of holes, and drafting a QB comes at the opportunity cost of not being able to fill another position (maybe more than one if we'd have to trade up to get Clausen).

To be perfectly honest, I don't want to spend any resources on any QB this off-season due to reasons B and C above. The concerns about Clausen just make him that much less appealing IMO.

YardRat
04-05-2010, 02:10 PM
I had a really good response thought out, but then Ingtar stole it.

User Manuel
04-05-2010, 02:49 PM
he has been nothing but productive for ateam on which the offense had to often go long fields. He has a great deep and medium ball and he is fearless. so, obviously, he would be a terrible choice. seriously though, i dont know of any reason NOT to pick him.

TedMock
04-05-2010, 03:34 PM

In a clean pocket he does everything right. His mechanics are text book and he does a decent job reading the defense pre-snap. He throws an excellent short route - very accurate on short passes with a lot of zip. He dumps the ball a lot. Not necessarily a bad thing, but something to keep in mind when talking about completion percentage. He is under 6'3" and that will be a consideration, but he's not short either. His mid range passes are his worst passes. He does not seem to get any spice on the ball in the medium game and I am not quite sure why he loses that. These balls will be picks in the NFL if he doesn't figure that out. His long range passes are accurate, but float a ton. He needs to get the ball to the WR on deep routes a lot faster than he does. He won't have the advantage of a lesser defense and Golden Tate in the NFL. Overall, he lacks big time arm strength that you would want with top 10 pick. As already stated by someone else, he gets happy feet very quickly. He gets very anxious under pressure and will throw off balance just to get rid of the ball quite often before that's necessary. I do not think he is a complete bust, but he is also not a 1st round talent in most years (in my opinion).

Mr. Miyagi
04-05-2010, 03:51 PM
That is clearly photoshopped for Christ sakes. COME ON PEOPLE.
I just found it on google that's all. But does it really look shopped to you?

gonzo1105
04-05-2010, 03:57 PM
I just wanna talk about the happy feet issue with some on this board. I'm not saying this is the reason why he has "happy feet" but as a QB at the high school level, some coaches actually teach that its okay to buzz your feet. The reasoning behind the buzzing of the feet is to have more fluidity in your hips and for your feet not to go dead. The main reason for keeping the feet buzzing instead of dead is for side to side throws where you have to point your feet at your targets. Any good QB coach will tell you that you know how accurate your going to be by where your foot is pointed at, is your elbow and arm delivery up, and are your shoulders pointed at the target. Like I said i'm not in the mind of Charlie Weis or the ND QB coach but sometimes coaches dont mind the happy feet movement it just depends on your philosophy. If the Bills have a non happy feet philosophy i'm sure Clausen can adapt to it.

THATHURMANATOR
04-05-2010, 04:12 PM
http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=183869

I talk about Clausen there. You want reasons read that.

I say he has a high bust potential because he really gives away where he's throwing, and it takes far too long for the ball to leave his hand.

In the pros he'll be a sack and turnover machine until he can work those bad habits out. I'm not talking about a Tebow style slowness to his throwing motion. I'm talking about once he finds his target it takes him a long time to set his feet, and then throw, it's deliberate, slow and really cornerbacks in the pros will love him because of it.. it's a long time that he won't have in the pros, so DEs will love him too.

The only times the ball left his hand quickly was when he made a presnap read and threw on time. he did a good job of setting his feet at the top of his drop back and letting go. but if that look wasn't there and he was forced to adjust it took forever for the ball to leave his hand once he found his target.

Tebow took a lot of grief (rightly so) for his long windup because it was so obvious. Clausen's long delivery is about as slow... if not slower... but he gets no grief because it's not as obvious or consistent (it is on tape if you know what you're looking at) and it's largely dependent on the throw he's making.
How hard will it be for a coach to correct these things in your opinion?

X-Era
04-05-2010, 06:17 PM

You question was:

Can someone give me a legitimate reason why Clausen will be a bust?

My answer is:

No.

He has all the ability he needs IMO, but his demeanor at times makes me a bit leary. But, I cant call a guy a bust based on just that. He would need to prove it.