PDA

View Full Version : Draft Profile: Saffold's game a credit to Bills assistant

Michael82
04-05-2010, 09:00 AM
In a draft class where up to six offensive tackles could come off the board in round one, Indiana tackle Rodger Saffold is not likely to be among them. That doesn’t mean he doesn’t have a promising NFL career in front of him. One need look no further than one of Buffalo’s second-round draft choices of a year ago in Andy Levitre.

Saffold’s draft stock is largely deemed to be in the same range, and it wouldn’t be surprising if the Bills personnel department felt similarly.

While Saffold has spoken with quite a few NFL franchises – including the Jacksonville Jaguars, Indianapolis Colts, San Diego Chargers, Miami Dolphins, Atlanta Falcons and Oakland Raiders – the Bills have one added connection providing Buffalo with intimate knowledge about the pass protecting Hoosier.

Saffold’s former offensive line coach at Indiana, Bobby Johnson, joined Chan Gailey’s staff just over a month ago as the assistant offensive line coach. The impact that Johnson had on the development of Saffold was significant.

“Of course, Coach Johnson, it’s always good seeing your coach down there,” Saffold told BuffaloBills.com of his meeting with Johnson and the Bills front office at the NFL combine. “Of course when you get in there for the interview and he’s looking at you, you kind of want to look around at everybody. It really makes you feel more comfortable, especially with me being the only Indiana offensive lineman there.”

A reunited partnership between the two would only serve to help Saffold’s transition to the professional ranks. The bulky tackle is fully aware of the positives that come from further work with Johnson, who obviously already knows his strengths and weaknesses........

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-3/Draft-Profile-Saffolds-game-a-credit-to-Bills-assistant/4d971e0b-d0de-4824-a851-73b910b78969

WeAreArthurMoates
04-05-2010, 09:16 AM
I love Saffold as a 2nd round pick, though I think we may have to move up just a tad to get him.

Michael82
04-05-2010, 11:40 AM
I love Saffold as a 2nd round pick, though I think we may have to move up just a tad to get him.

I have a feeling that we'll draft either Jimmy Clausen, CJ Spiller or Dez Bryant with our first round pick, then I could see us trading back into the 1st round to select Saffold. I would love the move too. :up:

madness
04-05-2010, 12:08 PM
I think he's better suited as a RT or G in a zone blocking scheme. I really like the guy but I'd have concerns if we drafted him as a LT and I wouldn't feel comfortable trading up to grab him.

Night Train
04-05-2010, 01:20 PM
Saffold showed in the East-West Shrine game that his footwork was as good as any LT in this draft and has started there for 3 1/2 years. I still have that game on the DVR and the eyes don't lie. He was the best player in the game. He can play the position effectively.

If the Bills receive an offer for the #9 pick and trade down in Round 1, he comes into play.

Forward_Lateral
04-05-2010, 01:35 PM
Is it possible that the Bills would reach for him at 9?

psubills62
04-05-2010, 02:00 PM

I would have to imagine that if they're targeting him in Round 1, they will either trade up from their position in Round 2 or trade back quite far from #9.

ddaryl
04-05-2010, 02:50 PM

B.N. yes, but not A.N. IMO

I think our A.N. era will usher in much better drafting

JCBills
04-05-2010, 03:08 PM
Saffold showed in the East-West Shrine game that his footwork was as good as any LT in this draft and has started there for 3 1/2 years. I still have that game on the DVR and the eyes don't lie. He was the best player in the game. He can play the position effectively.

If the Bills receive an offer for the #9 pick and trade down in Round 1, he comes into play.
I remember him jumping off the screen too. He erases people. Hence my sig lol.