PDA

View Full Version : Gloom! Despair!

rbochan
04-05-2010, 09:24 AM
The Sabres are 7-3-0 in their last 10 games. They have the best scoring depth in the NHL, 12 players with 10 goals or more. Pittsburgh and Chicago are tied for 2nd with 11. The Sabres are also 11th in overall scoring.

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh19/rbochan/sanford_heartattacks.jpg

OpIv37
04-05-2010, 11:41 AM
Of course, we lost the last 2 to mediocre division rivals by a combined score of 7-2 and are letting Ottawa hang around rather than clinching the division.

Yet, no one seems to have a problem with that except me....

RockStar36
04-05-2010, 12:07 PM
Of course, we lost the last 2 to mediocre division rivals by a combined score of 7-2 and are letting Ottawa hang around rather than clinching the division.

It's ok to have a problem, but it's not as bad as you make it. You've even said before that you're bi-polar when it comes to your sports teams.

They need either 2 points or one Ottawa loss to clinch the division.

At the end of the day, winning the division this season was way better than any of us thought. We should be very happy with the overall picture.

trapezeus
04-05-2010, 12:14 PM

i'm with you. i think the sabres are flexing against weaker opponents and uninspired against tougher opponents. this goes back to be a hard working team and a team that needs more grit.

Nighthawk
04-05-2010, 12:16 PM
The Sabres are 7-3-0 in their last 10 games. They have the best scoring depth in the NHL, 12 players with 10 goals or more. Pittsburgh and Chicago are tied for 2nd with 11. The Sabres are also 11th in overall scoring.

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh19/rbochan/sanford_heartattacks.jpg

Anybody stating that there are no problems with the Sabres going into the playoffs is either blind or has no clue about what they're talking about.

SabreEleven
04-05-2010, 12:41 PM
This has been stated before but the playoffs and regular season are two different animals. The intensity is turned up about 100 degrees in the playoffs. You can go 82 and 0 and lose in the first round. IMO, the Sabres just don't have what it takes to be successful in the playoffs. They showed that the other night when Montreal came and ***** slapped them and it took like a good little girl.

OpIv37
04-05-2010, 12:44 PM
It's ok to have a problem, but it's not as bad as you make it. You've even said before that you're bi-polar when it comes to your sports teams.

They need either 2 points or one Ottawa loss to clinch the division.

At the end of the day, winning the division this season was way better than any of us thought. We should be very happy with the overall picture.

I think it's more a case of actually watching the team. I can't figure out how they've earned as many points as they have playing like this. Their PP is horrendous, they rarely produce scoring chances and when they do, they whiff. They get very few odd man rushes and breakaways, and even fewer goals off of those situations. They don't stand up for each other or their star goaltender and they almost always get outhit. And they have no true goal-scorers.

rbochan points out the goal distribution as if it's a good thing. Granted, we don't want to be Ottawa and have all our points come from one line, but at the same time, the even goal distribution is also a sign of not having a single consistent scorer.

At the end of the day, I still see a lot of the same issues that kept us out of the playoffs the last two years. The main reason we are winning is because of Miller, coupled with a few unexpected surprises like Myers and the resurgence of Tallinder. But I'm still very concerned that those issues are going to make this a very short playoff run.

RockStar36
04-05-2010, 01:00 PM
I think it's more a case of actually watching the team. I can't figure out how they've earned as many points as they have playing like this. Their PP is horrendous, they rarely produce scoring chances and when they do, they whiff. They get very few odd man rushes and breakaways, and even fewer goals off of those situations. They don't stand up for each other or their star goaltender and they almost always get outhit. And they have no true goal-scorers.

rbochan points out the goal distribution as if it's a good thing. Granted, we don't want to be Ottawa and have all our points come from one line, but at the same time, the even goal distribution is also a sign of not having a single consistent scorer.

At the end of the day, I still see a lot of the same issues that kept us out of the playoffs the last two years. The main reason we are winning is because of Miller, coupled with a few unexpected surprises like Myers and the resurgence of Tallinder. But I'm still very concerned that those issues are going to make this a very short playoff run.

In addition to what you've said, the reason they have 96 points so far as opposed to the past two seasons where they missed out is (IMO) based on the fact that they are winning the close games (for the most part).

The past two seasons they would blow a game late in the third and not get any points.

This season there have been numerous times where they held a lead and didn't blow it or came back to get the 1 or 2 points needed.

shelby
04-05-2010, 02:53 PM
Oh...sorry...i thought this was a discoPatti thread.

:ontome:

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
04-05-2010, 03:55 PM
I'm going to say this again, they want to win the N.E. Div. @ home tomorrow on fan appreciation night.

Nighthawk
04-05-2010, 05:16 PM
Oh...sorry...i thought this was a discoPatti thread.

:ontome:

Nah, it's just another stupid thread...

RockStar36
04-05-2010, 05:24 PM
Nah, it's just another stupid thread...

No, what's stupid is the doom and gloom attitude.

Anybody that has watched this team over the season realizes there are some issues with the team. I'm pretty sure you can pick any team in the NHL right now and there are some legit concerns for each of them heading into the postseason.

The point most of us make is that despite these concerns, we should be rallying around the team as they hit the playoffs for the first time years. We should be fired up for it. You literally never know what is going to happen once the playoffs start. And last time I checked, the Sabres have one major advantage on their side.

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
04-05-2010, 06:14 PM

Anybody that has watched this team over the season realizes there are some issues with the team. I'm pretty sure you can pick any team in the NHL right now and there are some legit concerns for each of them heading into the postseason.

The point most of us make is that despite these concerns, we should be rallying around the team as they hit the playoffs for the first time years. We should be fired up for it. You literally never know what is going to happen once the playoffs start. And last time I checked, the Sabres have one major advantage on their side.

well said,

also can I add this

Ruff, the all-time winningest coach in Sabres’ history, has a .591 playoff winning percentage and is the Sabres’ all-time leader in playoff games coached (88), and wins (52), surpassing Scotty Bowman’s mark of 18 wins (set over five seasons). His 52 career playoff wins are tied for 14th place on the all-time list. Among coaches with 40 or more playoff wins, Ruff is in the top 5 in terms of career winning percentage.
http://sabres.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=36593

SabreEleven
04-05-2010, 06:43 PM
Too bad Lindy don't play the games.

OpIv37
04-05-2010, 09:32 PM

This is ridiculous. Just because someone sees issues with the team doesn't automatically mean that they don't watch the games and cheer just as loud as those of you who would rather not discuss the issues.

Buffalogic
04-06-2010, 02:22 AM
It's really not that bad...

Sabres lost their last two games. Both division teams. Toronto has been winning lately so they were hot. We beat them like 9 or 10 games in a row, the streak had to end sometime. They were probably tired of getting embarrassed by the Sabres and got up for the game and the Sabres under estimated them.

And Montreal was fighting for their playoff lives. They are a desperate team that still can be bounced from the playoffs. They played like it. We played like we didn't really care. And we had all those call ups in for our 'name' players.

Oh and before those last two games they won what 7 out of 8 games?? I mean come on.

Op if you were a caps fan you would just complain how the D was too soft and they will never win in the playoffs playing like that. Nothing would please you. You'd rather be a naysayer because you are so used to losing. I can understand that being a Buffalo sports fan myself, but it's just so damn gloomy and dramatic.

jamze132
04-06-2010, 04:22 AM
This team is in cruise mode right now and its going to bite them in the ass when the playoffs start when we are facing a team that is playing their best who had to scrape to just get in. The 1 and 2 seeds in the playoffs are a scary spot to be in.

BlackMetalNinja
04-06-2010, 07:57 AM
This is ridiculous. Just because someone sees issues with the team doesn't automatically mean that they don't watch the games and cheer just as loud as those of you who would rather not discuss the issues.Um, where exactly was that said, because I just read his post like 5 times and still don't see that anywhere.

OpIv37
04-06-2010, 08:01 AM
Um, where exactly was that said, because I just read his post like 5 times and still don't see that anywhere.

He said the "doom and gloom attitude" was stupid, then he goes off about rallying behind the team. The implication is that people who don't think the team is going to win somehow don't want the team to win. It goes back to that old argument about hope vs expectations.

I hope the Sabres put together an improbable run and finally win a Cup. But when I watch the team, I simply can't see that as a reasonable expectation.

RockStar36
04-06-2010, 08:08 AM
He said the "doom and gloom attitude" was stupid, then he goes off about rallying behind the team. The implication is that people who don't think the team is going to win somehow don't want the team to win. It goes back to that old argument about hope vs expectations.

I hope the Sabres put together an improbable run and finally win a Cup. But when I watch the team, I simply can't see that as a reasonable expectation.
No, that isn't it. I know you want the team to win and I'm pretty sure all the others also want the team to win.

But to me it seems like you guys can't even enjoy a game. The minute they lose one or two in a row, the world comes crashing down.

I know they have issues. I've written about them plenty of times so it's not like I'm ignoring them and being a "blind homer".

The point of the thread is that they are 7-3-0 in their last 10 games. Right now those 7 wins in the last 10 games are the most wins in the conference in that same stretch. But you wouldn't know that by visiting this board because they have just dropped the last two games which automatically means they will be swept in the first round.

It's a loser mentality. Pittsburgh got shut out at home by Tampa Bay and I highly doubt their fans were flipping out about it to the same extent that everyone here was.

BlackMetalNinja
04-06-2010, 08:23 AM

I hope the Sabres put together an improbable run and finally win a Cup. But when I watch the team, I simply can't see that as a reasonable expectation.I read it and I see "we all know we have problems, why do you guys make them out to be 10x worse than reality". As we've said to you numerous times, we know there are flaws and we've pointed them out from time to time. But to dwell on them endlessly when this team is far exceeding everybody's expectations this year and is a Top 3 team in the Conference is ridiculous. Might it cost them in the postseason? Sure... Might they continue to exceed expectations? Sure...

Even when you try to point out the good things this team is doing on occasion, it's usually in the form of backhanded compliments. You seriously just rather be negative all the damn time, there is no two ways about it. It's not "homer" vs. "realist"... It's the fact that you are a pessimistic person in relation to the Buffalo Sabres, plain and simple.

RockStar36
04-06-2010, 08:27 AM
I'd be willing to bet any amount of money that if some of you were Caps fans, you would be *****ing about suspect goaltending and the issues RJ Umberger mentioned over the weekend instead of being happy that they just clinched the President's Trophy.

rbochan
04-06-2010, 08:50 AM
... Pittsburgh got shut out at home by Tampa Bay and I highly doubt their fans were flipping out about it to the same extent that everyone here was.
lol
Visit their boards. You'd be mistaken. In fact, it's been like that on every board, for every team. All season.
You've done it, I've done it, everyone's done it. I just decided to poke some fun at it for a change instead of ***** and whine.

OpIv37
04-06-2010, 08:54 AM
No, that isn't it. I know you want the team to win and I'm pretty sure all the others also want the team to win.

But to me it seems like you guys can't even enjoy a game. The minute they lose one or two in a row, the world comes crashing down.

I know they have issues. I've written about them plenty of times so it's not like I'm ignoring them and being a "blind homer".

The point of the thread is that they are 7-3-0 in their last 10 games. Right now those 7 wins in the last 10 games are the most wins in the conference in that same stretch. But you wouldn't know that by visiting this board because they have just dropped the last two games which automatically means they will be swept in the first round.

It's a loser mentality. Pittsburgh got shut out at home by Tampa Bay and I highly doubt their fans were flipping out about it to the same extent that everyone here was.

See, this is what some of you don't understand: the last two games are the SYMPTOM, not the PROBLEM. You act like I've been high on this team all year then suddenly changed my view due to two loses.

You like to take this myopic view and say "well it's just one game, you can't win them all." But what you don't see is that the reasons we lost the one game- or two in this case- are the same problems that have plagued this team all season and the same problems that will keep us from beating the better teams that we will have to face in the playoffs.

Pittsburgh also won the Cup last year and went to the finals the year before. Pittsburgh also has two star players who are both better than anyone on our team.

OpIv37
04-06-2010, 08:56 AM
I read it and I see "we all know we have problems, why do you guys make them out to be 10x worse than reality". As we've said to you numerous times, we know there are flaws and we've pointed them out from time to time. But to dwell on them endlessly when this team is far exceeding everybody's expectations this year and is a Top 3 team in the Conference is ridiculous. Might it cost them in the postseason? Sure... Might they continue to exceed expectations? Sure...

Even when you try to point out the good things this team is doing on occasion, it's usually in the form of backhanded compliments. You seriously just rather be negative all the damn time, there is no two ways about it. It's not "homer" vs. "realist"... It's the fact that you are a pessimistic person in relation to the Buffalo Sabres, plain and simple.

The point is that until the good is good enough to get us the Cup, it doesn't matter. The goal isn't to be 3rd in the conference or win the division or exceed the expectations- it's to win the Cup. And we're not going to do it because of the bad.

trapezeus
04-06-2010, 03:57 PM
it is cool that the team got into the playoffs and anything can happen.

but for predictable results, they will not win the cup. They won't get to the ECF based on their play throughout the season. They have relied heavily on Miller. In games when miller gives up 2 goals, you have no idea if a team that can score will show up or not.

If miller can have constant shutouts or 1 goal games, they probably can win that battle of attrition. but that's a lot ot ask from a goaltender, in the playoffs.

And then you mix in the issue that no one stands up for miller when he gets run. he obviously is effected by it, and you know in the playoffs he's a target. no one beats any for running into him or other players. you don't think a scrappy lower seed is going to sense that weakness and make the sabres have to try and be physical?

The sabres aren't well rounded enough yet.

But that being said, there is the chance they catch lightning in a bottle and can put together a ridiculous run. I sincerely hope that is the case.

RockStar36
04-06-2010, 05:00 PM

but for predictable results, they will not win the cup. They won't get to the ECF based on their play throughout the season. They have relied heavily on Miller. In games when miller gives up 2 goals, you have no idea if a team that can score will show up or not.

If miller can have constant shutouts or 1 goal games, they probably can win that battle of attrition. but that's a lot ot ask from a goaltender, in the playoffs.

And then you mix in the issue that no one stands up for miller when he gets run. he obviously is effected by it, and you know in the playoffs he's a target. no one beats any for running into him or other players. you don't think a scrappy lower seed is going to sense that weakness and make the sabres have to try and be physical?

But that being said, there is the chance they catch lightning in a bottle and can put together a ridiculous run. I sincerely hope that is the case.

It's probably 50/50 on defending Miller, depends who is on the ice.

It should be 100/0 on defending him though. I hate when they don't, but it's usually the softies like Pominville that won't do anything.

BlackMetalNinja
04-06-2010, 05:03 PM

But that being said, there is the chance they catch lightning in a bottle and can put together a ridiculous run. I sincerely hope that is the case.I agree with basically all of this... The point is, expectations from most, and most certainly Op was that they wouldn't even MAKE the postseason. Therefore, most fans would rather enjoy the fact that they are better than expected, rather than focus on why they aren't good enough theoretically to win the Cup. Yes, I know full well that is the ultimate goal every season, but it doesn't make it a realistic expectation, nor it is reason to be completely disappointed if they don't accomplish it.

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
04-06-2010, 05:12 PM
I'm going to say this again, they want to win the N.E. Div. @ home tomorrow on fan appreciation night.

Lindy Ruff on clinching N.E. Division

<iframe width="480" height="289" frameborder="0" src="http://sabres.nhl.tv/team/embed.jsp?catid=668&id=65094"></iframe>

"I think it does, our fans have been great all year, we've played well in our building and it's our last regular season game and we want to win it here." ~ Lindy Ruff

MikeInRoch
04-06-2010, 05:22 PM

My problem with your viewpoint has always been about hope versus expectation. You should never, ever, about any team have an "expectation" that they will win the cup. It's simply not logical. In fact, you should never have an expectation that their chances are more than 1 in 30 going into a year.

Right now, their chances are higher than 1 in 30. So enjoy it.

JD
04-06-2010, 08:10 PM
Only 5 goals and 10 minutes left in the 3rd? We suck again!

helmetguy
04-06-2010, 08:18 PM
Only 5 goals and 10 minutes left in the 3rd? We suck again!

Depressing, ain't it?

rbochan
04-06-2010, 08:30 PM
29-0-0 when leading going into the 3rd.

http://i790.photobucket.com/albums/yy189/rbochan2/*****esl.jpg

JD
04-06-2010, 08:32 PM
Depressing, ain't it?
Can you say first-round-exit?

JD
04-06-2010, 08:33 PM
29-0-0 when leading going into the 3rd.

http://i790.photobucket.com/albums/yy189/rbochan2/*****esl.jpg
Great stat.

Also 24-4 in 1-Goal games.. defense wins championships

OpIv37
04-06-2010, 08:34 PM
My problem with your viewpoint has always been about hope versus expectation. You should never, ever, about any team have an "expectation" that they will win the cup. It's simply not logical. In fact, you should never have an expectation that their chances are more than 1 in 30 going into a year.

Absolute horse****. You may be right on opening night, but not at this point in the season. Part of the fun-and challenge- of being a fan is being able to evaluate teams (all teams, not just personal favorites) and come up with reasonable predictions. Being all "Rah-rah GOOOOOO TEAM!" is fine DURING the games- that's what being a fan is. But any ****** can be like that ALL the time. It takes intelligence and logical thinking to come up with reasonable expectations.

No one is ever 100% accurate, but I've been a lot more accurate than people on this site give me credit for.

OpIv37
04-06-2010, 08:37 PM

And one more thing- it's NEVER 1 in 30 because that assumes even odds. The NHL isn't an evenly mounted 30-side dice. Some teams are better than others. It would be stupid to think that, back in October, we had the same odds of winning the Cup as the Capitals, just like it would be stupid to think that the Islanders or Maple Leafs had the same chance of winning the Cup as us.

rbochan
04-06-2010, 08:51 PM
*****y gobbledegook

GOOD ****ING GOD DUDE. CAN YOU JUST BE HAPPY JUST FOR ONCE?

MikeInRoch
04-06-2010, 08:51 PM
I agree that it's not even odds. I never said that it was. I said that as a fan, you can't have an EXPECTATION that you have a better than 1 in 30 at the beginning of the season.

OpIv37
04-06-2010, 08:52 PM
GOOD ****ING GOD DUDE. CAN YOU JUST BE HAPPY JUST FOR ONCE?

who said I wasn't happy? He challenged me, I'm answering the challenge. Has nothing to do with tonight's game.

OpIv37
04-06-2010, 08:55 PM
I agree that it's not even odds. I never said that it was. I said that as a fan, you can't have an EXPECTATION that you have a better than 1 in 30 at the beginning of the season.

you just contradicted yourself. If the expectation is 1 in 30, you are assuming your team has an equal chance to the 29 other teams at the start of the season. That's what 1 in 30 means. At the start of the season, it is perfectly reasonable to expect your team to be better than some teams and worse than others.

MikeInRoch
04-06-2010, 09:56 PM
I didn't say that. I said you can't expect it to be HIGHER than 1 in 30.

OpIv37
04-06-2010, 09:59 PM
I didn't say that. I said you can't expect it to be HIGHER than 1 in 30.

If you expect your team to be better than ONE other team in the NHL, then you should expect the odds to be better than 1 in 30.

MikeInRoch
04-06-2010, 10:38 PM
But every team could expect that then. The sum of the expectations should be exactly 1.