• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rbochan
    Zamboni Driver
    • Jun 2008

Gloom! Despair!

The Sabres are 7-3-0 in their last 10 games. They have the best scoring depth in the NHL, 12 players with 10 goals or more. Pittsburgh and Chicago are tied for 2nd with 11. The Sabres are also 11th in overall scoring.

...Rob

The American Dream isn't an SUV and a house in the suburbs;
    it's Don't Tread On Me.
  • OpIv37
    Acid Douching Asswipe
    • Sep 2002

Re: Gloom! Despair!

Of course, we lost the last 2 to mediocre division rivals by a combined score of 7-2 and are letting Ottawa hang around rather than clinching the division.

Yet, no one seems to have a problem with that except me....
    MiKiDo Facebook
    MiKiDo Website

Comment

• RockStar36
      Dude's Little Ignorant Crony
      • Sep 2004

Originally posted by OpIv37
      Of course, we lost the last 2 to mediocre division rivals by a combined score of 7-2 and are letting Ottawa hang around rather than clinching the division.

It's ok to have a problem, but it's not as bad as you make it. You've even said before that you're bi-polar when it comes to your sports teams.

They need either 2 points or one Ottawa loss to clinch the division.

At the end of the day, winning the division this season was way better than any of us thought. We should be very happy with the overall picture.

D & S Sports

Comment

• trapezeus
        Legendary Zoner
        • Oct 2004

i'm with you. i think the sabres are flexing against weaker opponents and uninspired against tougher opponents. this goes back to be a hard working team and a team that needs more grit.

Comment

• Nighthawk
          Getting old waiting for a championship in Buffalo!
          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by rbochan
          The Sabres are 7-3-0 in their last 10 games. They have the best scoring depth in the NHL, 12 players with 10 goals or more. Pittsburgh and Chicago are tied for 2nd with 11. The Sabres are also 11th in overall scoring.

Anybody stating that there are no problems with the Sabres going into the playoffs is either blind or has no clue about what they're talking about.

Comment

• SabreEleven
            • Aug 2002

This has been stated before but the playoffs and regular season are two different animals. The intensity is turned up about 100 degrees in the playoffs. You can go 82 and 0 and lose in the first round. IMO, the Sabres just don't have what it takes to be successful in the playoffs. They showed that the other night when Montreal came and ***** slapped them and it took like a good little girl.

Comment

• OpIv37
              Acid Douching Asswipe
              • Sep 2002

Originally posted by RockStar36
              It's ok to have a problem, but it's not as bad as you make it. You've even said before that you're bi-polar when it comes to your sports teams.

They need either 2 points or one Ottawa loss to clinch the division.

At the end of the day, winning the division this season was way better than any of us thought. We should be very happy with the overall picture.
              I think it's more a case of actually watching the team. I can't figure out how they've earned as many points as they have playing like this. Their PP is horrendous, they rarely produce scoring chances and when they do, they whiff. They get very few odd man rushes and breakaways, and even fewer goals off of those situations. They don't stand up for each other or their star goaltender and they almost always get outhit. And they have no true goal-scorers.

rbochan points out the goal distribution as if it's a good thing. Granted, we don't want to be Ottawa and have all our points come from one line, but at the same time, the even goal distribution is also a sign of not having a single consistent scorer.

At the end of the day, I still see a lot of the same issues that kept us out of the playoffs the last two years. The main reason we are winning is because of Miller, coupled with a few unexpected surprises like Myers and the resurgence of Tallinder. But I'm still very concerned that those issues are going to make this a very short playoff run.
              MiKiDo Facebook
              MiKiDo Website

Comment

• RockStar36
                • Sep 2004

I think it's more a case of actually watching the team. I can't figure out how they've earned as many points as they have playing like this. Their PP is horrendous, they rarely produce scoring chances and when they do, they whiff. They get very few odd man rushes and breakaways, and even fewer goals off of those situations. They don't stand up for each other or their star goaltender and they almost always get outhit. And they have no true goal-scorers.

rbochan points out the goal distribution as if it's a good thing. Granted, we don't want to be Ottawa and have all our points come from one line, but at the same time, the even goal distribution is also a sign of not having a single consistent scorer.

At the end of the day, I still see a lot of the same issues that kept us out of the playoffs the last two years. The main reason we are winning is because of Miller, coupled with a few unexpected surprises like Myers and the resurgence of Tallinder. But I'm still very concerned that those issues are going to make this a very short playoff run.
                In addition to what you've said, the reason they have 96 points so far as opposed to the past two seasons where they missed out is (IMO) based on the fact that they are winning the close games (for the most part).

The past two seasons they would blow a game late in the third and not get any points.

This season there have been numerous times where they held a lead and didn't blow it or came back to get the 1 or 2 points needed.

D & S Sports

Comment

• shelby
                  The Vanilla admin
                  • Jul 2002

Oh...sorry...i thought this was a discoPatti thread.

Comment

• BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
                    All-Pro Zoner
                    • Jan 2004

I'm going to say this again, they want to win the N.E. Div. @ home tomorrow on fan appreciation night.
                    Last edited by BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan; 04-05-2010, 03:56 PM.

Comment

• Nighthawk
                      Getting old waiting for a championship in Buffalo!
                      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by shelby
                      Oh...sorry...i thought this was a discoPatti thread.

Nah, it's just another stupid thread...

Comment

• RockStar36
                        • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Nighthawk
                        Nah, it's just another stupid thread...
                        No, what's stupid is the doom and gloom attitude.

Anybody that has watched this team over the season realizes there are some issues with the team. I'm pretty sure you can pick any team in the NHL right now and there are some legit concerns for each of them heading into the postseason.

The point most of us make is that despite these concerns, we should be rallying around the team as they hit the playoffs for the first time years. We should be fired up for it. You literally never know what is going to happen once the playoffs start. And last time I checked, the Sabres have one major advantage on their side.

D & S Sports

Comment

• BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
                          All-Pro Zoner
                          • Jan 2004

Anybody that has watched this team over the season realizes there are some issues with the team. I'm pretty sure you can pick any team in the NHL right now and there are some legit concerns for each of them heading into the postseason.

The point most of us make is that despite these concerns, we should be rallying around the team as they hit the playoffs for the first time years. We should be fired up for it. You literally never know what is going to happen once the playoffs start. And last time I checked, the Sabres have one major advantage on their side.
                          well said,

also can I add this

Ruff, the all-time winningest coach in Sabres’ history, has a .591 playoff winning percentage and is the Sabres’ all-time leader in playoff games coached (88), and wins (52), surpassing Scotty Bowman’s mark of 18 wins (set over five seasons). His 52 career playoff wins are tied for 14th place on the all-time list. Among coaches with 40 or more playoff wins, Ruff is in the top 5 in terms of career winning percentage.
                          The official National Hockey League website including news, rosters, stats, schedules, teams, and video.
                          Last edited by BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan; 04-05-2010, 06:21 PM.

Comment

• SabreEleven
                            • Aug 2002

Too bad Lindy don't play the games.

Comment

• OpIv37
                              Acid Douching Asswipe
                              • Sep 2002

This is ridiculous. Just because someone sees issues with the team doesn't automatically mean that they don't watch the games and cheer just as loud as those of you who would rather not discuss the issues.
                              MiKiDo Facebook
                              MiKiDo Website

Comment

Working...
                              X