PDA

View Full Version : Umberger on Washington

RockStar36
04-05-2010, 09:31 AM
. "They play the wrong way. They want to be moving all the time. They float around in their zone, looking for breakaways and odd-man rushes.

"A good defensive team is going to beat them (in the playoffs). If you eliminate your turnovers and keep them off the power play, they're going to get frustrated because they're in their zone a lot."

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/Umberger-mocks-Caps-indirectly-makes-case-for-p?urn=nhl,231973

SkateZilla
04-05-2010, 10:21 AM
They why havent any teams done this?

BlackMetalNinja
04-05-2010, 10:30 AM
I don't know, it was similar last year, but scoring got them a long way in the playoffs... and I think they're even better this year.

RockStar36
04-05-2010, 10:49 AM
I'm not doubting they are good, but I have to wonder how much they benefit from being in the league's worst division.

This is the same division that allowed Buffalo to outscore the opposing team 27-8 over the span of 5 games recently.

OpIv37
04-05-2010, 11:33 AM
They why havent any teams done this?

I think the argument is that Western Conf teams are better defensively and will be able to shut Washington down offensively.

I don't necessarily agree, but it seems like that was Umberger's point.

I think Washington stands a fair chance at beating a WC team in the finals if they make it that far, but I'd give any of the top 3 teams in the West a slight advantage over Washington.

OpIv37
04-05-2010, 11:35 AM
I'm not doubting they are good, but I have to wonder how much they benefit from being in the league's worst division.

This is the same division that allowed Buffalo to outscore the opposing team 27-8 over the span of 5 games recently.

I said about 2 weeks ago that the Sabres would have 100 points as well if they could play in that crappy division. Still, the Caps' "Goals for" and goals differential is absolutely incredible, and it's pretty clear the team has talent beyond just being in a crap division.

The only thing that should be worrying Caps fans right now is their questionable goaltending. If they don't win it all, that will be the main reason why.

BlackMetalNinja
04-05-2010, 12:54 PM

This is the same division that allowed Buffalo to outscore the opposing team 27-8 over the span of 5 games recently.Yeah, I brought that up in another thread last week. I hate that division with a passion.

SkateZilla
04-06-2010, 10:09 PM

Interesting Point, Very Interesting.... So The "Wins" and "Pts" could be Padded by playing bottom tier teams all season.

Vs Eastern Conference: 43-10-9, 95 Pts

Vs ATL Division
14-3-3, 31 Pts

Vs NE Division
11-4-4, 26 Pts

Vs SE Division
18-3-2, 38 Pts

Vs Western Conference: 10-5-3, 23 Pts

Vs CEN Division
4-1-2, 10 Pts

Vs NW Division
3-2-0, 6 Pts