PDA

View Full Version : Campbell a fine consolation for Buffalo

madness
04-05-2010, 08:04 PM
In light on Sunday night's Donovan McNabb trade to the Washington Redskins , Campbell could be on his way to Buffalo. The Bills made a play for McNabb and reportedly are interested in acquiring Campbell, who now is unnecessary in Washington.

To take the matchmaking process a step beyond the initial imagery of Campbell lying in a fetal position, I reached out to Scouts Inc. analyst Matt Williamson for his take on whether Campbell would excel under Bills head coach Chan Gailey.

"If I were Buffalo, I would send my second-round pick to Washington right now for Campbell," Williamson said. "Right now."

Campbell is coming off a season in which he completed 64.5 percent of his passes for 3,618 yards and 20 touchdowns with 15 interceptions.
P
"I like the fit," Williamson said. "Campbell has upside to me, and I actually thought last year was his best yet. The poor guy has gone through coordinators and offensive systems at a remarkable rate since joining the league. That is just too difficult. You can't succeed that way.

"In Buffalo, you would hope that he would have Gailey at least for two years and, hopefully, more. There would be much less pressure overall on him. It would be a run-first offense, and I think he certainly has the arm strength and overall physicality to succeed in that weather and environment.

"His style of play seems to fit the system, environment and franchise as a whole."

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/12217/campbell-a-fine-consolation-for-buffalo

Patti120
04-05-2010, 08:08 PM
Guy must be hitting the peace pipe b/c there is no way I'd give a 2nd for him. 4th or 5th definitely but our 2nd pick? WTH!

justasportsfan
04-05-2010, 08:08 PM
a 2nd? IMO Washington would take a 3rd next year to gain back what they lost for Mcnabb .

YardRat
04-05-2010, 08:10 PM
Not for a 2nd.

madness
04-05-2010, 08:13 PM
I think it was Williamson's way of saying Buffalo needs to jump on this opportunity as quickly as possible.

Dicknoze69
04-05-2010, 08:22 PM
I think it was Williamson's way of saying Buffalo needs to jump on this opportunity as quickly as possible.

Williamson is also a huge proponent of FootballOutsiders.com, a website that focuses on metric analysis of players. They had Campbell as very slightly worse than McNabb last year and didn't think acquiring McNabb is very much of an upgrade.

ServoBillieves
04-05-2010, 08:22 PM
Did anyone else just get that crazy contact/second hand high for him saying a second round pick?

TacklingDummy
04-05-2010, 08:25 PM
Campbell is coming off a season in which he completed 64.5 percent of his passes

That's because 302 of them were for less than 10 yards, Commander Checkdown.

He completed 38 of 93 passes that were over 10 yards, which is 40%.

TacklingDummy
04-05-2010, 08:28 PM
by comparison P. Manning had 173 pass attempts over 10 yards, 87 Complete, for 50%.

A. Rogers: 145 PA, 66 complete, 46%

Brees: 161 PA, 96 Comp., 59.6%

McNabb: 110 PA, 56 Comp, 50.9%

Brady: 153 PA, 70 Comp, 45%

Favre: 128 PA, 62 Comp, 48%

Young: 62 PA, 30 Comp, 48%

Big Ben: 137 PA, 69 Comp 50%

Rivers: 161 PA, 79 Comp, 49%

Campbell blows.

tampabay25690
04-05-2010, 08:35 PM
Did anyone else just get that crazy contact/second hand high for him saying a second round pick?

A 2-3 rd next year Im fine with and it can be a 2nd on performance..

BertSquirtgum
04-05-2010, 09:01 PM
2nd round pick? that's f**king laughable

i think he blows guy but he didn't have any help. his offensive line was just as sh**ty as the bills'

Jaybird
04-05-2010, 09:04 PM
I don't see Nix giving up a second, especially in a deep draft. We all know he wants to build this team from draft day.

Maybe a lower pick and a player, or a pick from next year

Syderick
04-05-2010, 09:04 PM
Maybe not a 2nd rounder, however the fact that Campbell could be a fit for the Bills is interesting.

jdbillsfan
04-05-2010, 09:05 PM
I would get rid of my Sunday ticket as soon as the Campbell era starts.

TonyIncredible
04-05-2010, 09:10 PM
oh god please bills don't go through with this

TigerJ
04-05-2010, 09:34 PM
Let's hope the Washington braintrust doesn't make a habit of reading Tim Graham's blog. We don't want them to get any ideas about what to ask for Campbell. Say, here's an idea. Washington needs a safety. Think Buffalo could afford to give up one of four starting caliber safeties on the roster?

NOT THE DUDE...
04-05-2010, 09:51 PM
george wilson for campbell...

TonyIncredible
04-05-2010, 09:53 PM
george wilson for campbell...

that would be way too generous on our part

tat2dmike77
04-05-2010, 10:09 PM
by comparison P. Manning had 173 pass attempts over 10 yards, 87 Complete, for 50%.

Campbell blows.

No reason for the stats we all should know that Campbell blows. Wash has been waiting for him to him that one good season he had at Auburn. He is a backup nothing more.

JCBills
04-05-2010, 10:38 PM
Graham has been writing some junk lately. He's using the "multiple reports" of speculation that we tried to get McNabb. Then Andy Reid comes out and says the Eagles weren't contacted by Buffalo after the trade. He tries using multiple links to make it seem like more sources, but it's different people referring to the same speculative report from a while back.

Billz_fan
04-05-2010, 10:44 PM
I would get rid of my Sunday ticket as soon as the Campbell era starts.

I agree, so this is what it has come to ? J Campbell an opportunity for a 2nd rnd pick ? Ohh god we have fallen much farther than I thought.

JCBills
04-05-2010, 11:08 PM
I agree, so this is what it has come to ? J Campbell an opportunity for a 2nd rnd pick ? Ohh god we have fallen much farther than I thought.

2nd was just some nut's idea of what a good move would be.

A 4th-6th possibly packaged with a player is more realistic.

NOT THE DUDE...
04-06-2010, 01:52 AM
i dont know if i really want campbell... but when was the last time we had a qb throw for over 3600 yds and at least 20 tds...???

NOT THE DUDE...
04-06-2010, 02:48 AM
I guess we have no choice but to give campbell a shot, he would be a upgrade...

jamze132
04-06-2010, 04:02 AM
It's no secret that Jason Campbell isn't the cream of the crop. But he is eons ahead of the QBs on our roster now.

I say we go get Campbell so we can get these stupid dreams of Jimmy Clausen out of our heads. I really do not want us to draft Clausen at #9. If we traded down, and then were able to get him, fine.

don137
04-06-2010, 05:17 AM
The Redskins will need a back up because I believe they got rid of Collins so send either Fitzpatrick/Edwards and a 4th or 5th for Campbell. Draft a QB in round 3 and address other needs in round 1 and 2 like OT and DT.
I am not a big fan of Campbell however he is better than what we have now and if the Bills draft a QB he will not be ready.

Night Train
04-06-2010, 05:34 AM
Campbell is coming off a season in which he completed 64.5 percent of his passes for 3,618 yards and 20 touchdowns with 15 interceptions.

There are 3 kinds of lies. Lies, Damn lies & Statistics ! ~ Mark Twain

Actually, I don't think he's bad at all.. for a Saturday pick.

Anyone watch NFL Network yesterday while they were talking about the McNabb trade ? They kept showing film of the Skins offense. Campbell would barely get out from under Center and was repeatedly drilled into the turf, with no chance of getting the ball to anyone. No QB could have done a thing behind that O Line, which was far worse than the Bills. ( But they have Dockery ! :rolleyes: ). Zorn hung him out to dry with poor coaching and a bad supporting cast.

He throws a very nice ball and wouldn't be a bad transition guy at all. Not a star but not a hopeless washout like Jake D, Anderson or many others that have been out there.

For a 4th or 5th rounder ? Sure. That still leaves the Bills with 8 picks going into that weekend and could allow the Bills more courage to accept a trade down offer if it pops up. That would add even more picks.

Campbell and Brohm, with Trentative and Fitzpatrick on their way out ? That sounds good to me.

TacklingDummy
04-06-2010, 05:41 AM
I guess we have no choice but to give campbell a shot, he would be a upgrade...
The problem is, he's not an upgrade and he's not the future, so why bother?

JCBills
04-06-2010, 05:58 AM

You keep saying this despite dozens of provided examples of him yes in fact being an upgrade.

X-Era
04-06-2010, 06:07 AM
You keep saying this despite dozens of provided examples of him yes in fact being an upgrade.

We need a proven winner who will lead this team... we need a franchise QB. Campbell is not that. If hes an upgrade, hes a marginal upgrade. And then he doesn't give us our franchise guy, he costs us a pick, and may make us less likely to draft a QB who might actually become the guy.

Yasgur's Farm
04-06-2010, 06:10 AM

TD... Isn't it you who's fond of providing the "definition of insanity"?

JK brah.

Jan Reimers
04-06-2010, 07:14 AM
I don't think even the Bills are clueless enough to give up a second for Campbell. But they've proven me wrong before.

OpIv37
04-06-2010, 07:29 AM
In light on Sunday night's Donovan McNabb trade to the Washington Redskins , Campbell could be on his way to Buffalo. The Bills made a play for McNabb and reportedly are interested in acquiring Campbell, who now is unnecessary in Washington.

To take the matchmaking process a step beyond the initial imagery of Campbell lying in a fetal position, I reached out to Scouts Inc. analyst Matt Williamson for his take on whether Campbell would excel under Bills head coach Chan Gailey.

"If I were Buffalo, I would send my second-round pick to Washington right now for Campbell," Williamson said. "Right now."

P
"I like the fit," Williamson said. "Campbell has upside to me, and I actually thought last year was his best yet. The poor guy has gone through coordinators and offensive systems at a remarkable rate since joining the league. That is just too difficult. You can't succeed that way.

"In Buffalo, you would hope that he would have Gailey at least for two years and, hopefully, more. There would be much less pressure overall on him. It would be a run-first offense, and I think he certainly has the arm strength and overall physicality to succeed in that weather and environment.

"His style of play seems to fit the system, environment and franchise as a whole."

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/12217/campbell-a-fine-consolation-for-buffalo

Tim Graham is an idiot.

First, he writes an article commending the Bills' FO for trying to get McNabb, as if this is Pee Wee soccer and we all get ice cream and trophies for "good effort."

And now, this crap.

malvado78
04-06-2010, 07:40 AM
We need a proven winner who will lead this team... we need a franchise QB. Campbell is not that. If hes an upgrade, hes a marginal upgrade. And then he doesn't give us our franchise guy, he costs us a pick, and may make us less likely to draft a QB who might actually become the guy.

Oh c'mon you just don't like the way Campbell-Era sounds for a screen name.

:lmao:

TacklingDummy
04-06-2010, 07:44 AM
And Ive proven multiple times that he's not an upgrade, so what makes someone elses opinion my valid than mine? Nothing.

I don't want to hear any of these pro-Campbell people *****ing if the Bills trade for him and they continue to be mediocre and to suck.

justasportsfan
04-06-2010, 10:21 AM
And Ive proven multiple times that he's not an upgrade, .
you have? stats prove otherwise.

To be honest with you, I don't like Campbell either, but one can argue he's better than Trent and Fitz.

tat2dmike77
04-06-2010, 10:27 AM
you have? stats prove otherwise.

To be honest with you, I don't like Campbell either, but one can argue he's better than Trent and Fitz.

Like it has been stated he is a upgrade but only a small upgrade. Why give up a 2nd rd pick for a guy who has been average at best. I would rather have that 2nd rd pick than Campbell who would be nothing more than a band aid on hatchet cut at this point.

Bill Cody
04-06-2010, 10:48 AM
two points:

1) There is a 0% chance we would give a 2nd for Campbell. a 5th maybe.

2) Campbell is better than JP but he reminds me of JP because what limits him isn't physical it's mental. It just takes Campbell too long to process his reads so he ends up dumping it off. I think he's better than what we have but the upside is limited. That's appraently what Mike Shanahan just decided after no doubt watching a lot of JC tape.

tat2dmike77
04-06-2010, 10:51 AM
two points:

1) There is a 0% chance we would give a 2nd for Campbell. a 5th maybe.

2) Campbell is better than JP but he reminds me of JP because what limits him isn't physical it's mental. It just takes Campbell too long to process his reads so he ends up dumping it off. I think he's better than what we have but the upside is limited. That's appraently what Mike Shanahan just decided after no doubt watching a lot of JC tape.

Thats not a fair comparison

Bill Cody
04-06-2010, 10:54 AM
Thats not a fair comparison

not fair to whom?

tat2dmike77
04-06-2010, 10:59 AM
not fair to whom?

Campbell come on saying he is better than JP. Thats like saying i prefer fresh bread to moldy bread.

Campbell is not the answer like i said he would just be a band aid at this point.

And why are you bringing up JP?

Bill Cody
04-06-2010, 11:07 AM
Campbell come on saying he is better than JP. Thats like saying i prefer fresh bread to moldy bread.

Campbell is not the answer like i said he would just be a band aid at this point.

And why are you bringing up JP?

Read what I said it isn't that confusing is it? QB's need to be able to process info fast. If brains didn't matter Vince Young would be league MVP. Jason Campbell has got some mold growing on his bread too.

justasportsfan
04-06-2010, 11:27 AM
Like it has been stated he is a upgrade but only a small upgrade. Why give up a 2nd rd pick for a guy who has been average at best. I would rather have that 2nd rd pick than Campbell who would be nothing more than a band aid on hatchet cut at this point.
I agree. I never want to give them a 2nd for Campbell. Just stating TD hasn't proven anything.

ZAZusmc03
04-06-2010, 11:32 AM
I wouldn't mind bringing him in, but no way would I do it for a 2nd. I don't think the skins will ge anything near that for him. according to pft he isn't coming in for workouts because of the mcnabb trade. They have no leverage. low ball it big time and see if they bite.

Mahdi
04-06-2010, 11:42 AM
Whitner could be involved here. Washington still has safety issues. Whitner and a 5th rounder for Campbell would be ok.

BillsFanInNM
04-06-2010, 12:06 PM
I really don't see the harm in trading a late round pick for Campbell. If he sucks, we'll just draft a QB from a likely better batch of QB's next year.

TacklingDummy
04-06-2010, 02:44 PM
Campbell come on saying he is better than JP.
JP was once the 11th ranked passer. What's Campbell ever done besides go 20-32?

Buddo
04-06-2010, 03:12 PM
http://blogs.nfl.com/2010/04/06/campbell-redskins-both-want-deal-to-get-done/

Not that I am especially advocating this, but as per the above, it's believed a 3rd or 4th round pick could get it done.
I certainly wouldn't baulk at the 4th rounder, but I'm less certain for a 3rd.
For the 4th, Campbell could well prove to be a decent stop gap, and actually doesn't have all that bad career numbers, especially considering his circumstances.
A proper offensive system like Gailey will install, and some continuity, could well make a genuinely decent QB out of Campbell. Not a 'franchise' QB, but better than a 'stop gap'. In a run orientated offensive system, which Gailey's will almost certainly be, he might well prove to be a better than decent option.
While I'm sure everyone would prefer to have an identifiable 'franchise' QB, I don't see on available in this draft, at least not without considerable grooming, and Campbell could provide the time required for that to take place - even if the pick came from next years draft.

mightysimi
04-06-2010, 03:51 PM
Are we sure that if no one bites that he won't just get cut? There's a few back up quality QB's around. That's if they don't love Brennan.

Buddo
04-06-2010, 03:58 PM
I don't think they will feel the need to cut him. His tender, should he sign it, isn't exorbitant, and it would only be for another year, so he would represent an inexpensive quality backup.

Buddo
04-06-2010, 04:00 PM
Also add into that, that there are rumored to be a few teams with 'interest', then they also will feel less inclined to just cut him.

Aliceinchainsbills15
04-06-2010, 04:03 PM

Campbell blows.
Dude you HAVE to take into account the oline he played with. The Redskins oline sucked. So take this from a person who lives in the DC area; Campbell has the potential to be a great QB in this league if he has a good oline for once.

JCBills
04-06-2010, 04:24 PM

Nobody is shipping Washington a 2nd for him.

We're talking about a mid round pick.

JCBills
04-06-2010, 04:31 PM
Also add into that, that there are rumored to be a few teams with 'interest', then they also will feel less inclined to just cut him.

That was aired on an ESPN affiliate owned by Dan Snyder, he could just be trying to pump up his trade value, but the general thinking is because of their attempts to deal him in the past, his trade value isn't that high. Word is he'll be available for a mid-rounder. We could probably ship any depth DB on the team + a mid-late rounder for him, they really need help in the secondary, and we have one of the deepest in the league.

acehole
04-06-2010, 07:47 PM
As long as he doesnt have a vagina like Edwards or stove top stuffing for brains like lossman we will be better at the position.

PS has TO been signed anywhere?

P

TacklingDummy
04-06-2010, 08:20 PM
Dude you HAVE to take into account the oline he played with. .
Excuses.

Dude you HAVE to take into account that Campbell sucks.

madness
04-07-2010, 07:46 AM
As long as he doesnt have a vagina like Edwards or stove top stuffing for brains like lossman we will be better at the position.

PS has TO been signed anywhere?

No, but the T.O. to Washington rumors have already started.