PDA

View Full Version : QB as leader, QB as entertainer

Bill Cody
04-06-2010, 11:25 AM
*We need a leader at QB. A guy that guys believe in and will run through a wall for. JP wasn't, he had more doubters than supporters. Trent seems to have lost the confidence of the team after he got dinged up and starting hearing footsteps. Can he get that back? It's possible but I doubt it. Is Clausen a leader? From what I've read he seems more like an arrogant *****. Jason Campbell? He seems to play just well enough to lose. Where am I going with this? Bear with me a minute.

*Drew Bledsoe was the last QB to give us hope, give us some entertainment on Sunday. Losing sucks no matter what but I totally cannot stand is losing boring. That's what the batch of bums we've been trotting out in the last few years have done, bored the hell out of me. Give me a 70 yard bomb like Drew could throw. Give me a QB keeper like Flutie. Make me care damn it. So....

*Along those lines there's 2 guys I'd be happy about us acquiring. Troy Smith (cost maybe a 5th) and Colt McCoy (late 1st, early 2nd). Both these guys are winners. Both are leaders. Both are guys that make plays with their feet and are FUN to watch. Let's bring the fun back on Sunday. I'd be happy if we got both, see who pans out. We need a QB. Just no more *****s. No more losers. No more guys that are like watching paint dry. Bring in some guys with heart and guts. Who's with me??

justasportsfan
04-06-2010, 11:31 AM
If Leadership is your main thing, TEbow is the ultimate leader.

BidsJr
04-06-2010, 11:34 AM
*We need a leader at QB. A guy that guys believe in and will run through a wall for. JP wasn't, he had more doubters than supporters. Trent seems to have lost the confidence of the team after he got dinged up and starting hearing footsteps. Can he get that back? It's possible but I doubt it. Is Clausen a leader? From what I've read he seems more like an arrogant *****. Jason Campbell? He seems to play just well enough to lose. Where am I going with this? Bear with me a minute.

*Drew Bledsoe was the last QB to give us hope, give us some entertainment on Sunday. Losing sucks no matter what but I totally cannot stand is losing boring. That's what the batch of bums we've been trotting out in the last few years have done, bored the hell out of me. Give me a 70 yard bomb like Drew could throw. Give me a QB keeper like Flutie. Make me care damn it. So....

*Along those lines there's 2 guys I'd be happy about us acquiring. Troy Smith (cost maybe a 5th) and Colt McCoy (late 1st, early 2nd). Both these guys are winners. Both are leaders. Both are guys that make plays with their feet and are FUN to watch. Let's bring the fun back on Sunday. I'd be happy if we got both, see who pans out. We need a QB. Just no more *****s. No more losers. No more guys that are like watching paint dry. Bring in some guys with heart and guts. Who's with me??

Bledsoe was a Bum when we got him and did nothing while he was here to change that.

Bill Cody
04-06-2010, 11:38 AM
If Leadership is your main thing, TEbow is the ultimate leader.

He is a leader. But I have doubts about his ability to deliver the ball with that motion. If he could fix that you might have something.

justasportsfan
04-06-2010, 11:41 AM
He is a leader. But I have doubts about his ability to deliver the ball with that motion. If he could fix that you might have something.
do Troy Smith and MCcOy have the arm to deliver the ball in buffalo weather?

trapezeus
04-06-2010, 11:46 AM
mccoy is a product of beating up on weak teams. against decent teams he struggled.

tebow's throwing motion will be fine if you give him time to throw.

Bill Cody
04-06-2010, 11:47 AM
Bledsoe was a Bum when we got him and did nothing while he was here to change that.

Ridiculous. Drew haters make me laugh. He came here to a team that was a laughingstock and carried them on his back from 3-13 to 8-8 in his first year, threw for 4300 yards, 24 tds and increased our points scored by 114 in one year. With zero offensive line help. He got worn down by all the hits he took but Drew was a warrior. But this is not a Drew thread and I'm not getting sucked in to a back and forth by commited haters like you and Justa. Comment on the topic or STFU.

Bill Cody
04-06-2010, 11:48 AM
do Troy Smith and MCcOy have the arm to deliver the ball in buffalo weather?

Did Flutie?

Bill Cody
04-06-2010, 11:50 AM
mccoy is a product of beating up on weak teams. against decent teams he struggled.

tebow's throwing motion will be fine if you give him time to throw.

Colt McCoy is the most accurate passer in the draft. If Tebow doesn't radically redo his motion he will get strip sacked at least once a game IMO.

OpIv37
04-06-2010, 11:53 AM
Are we still arguing about Drew Bledsoe? The guy hasn't been on the team in 5 years and hasn't even been in the league in 3 years.

Anyone care to re-hash the RJ-Flutie argument while we're at it?

Bill Cody
04-06-2010, 11:57 AM
Are we still arguing about Drew Bledsoe? The guy hasn't been on the team in 5 years and hasn't even been in the league in 3 years.

Anyone care to re-hash the RJ-Flutie argument while we're at it?

No we aren't. This could be an interesting thread if people wanted it to be. Care to comment on the thread topic or just be annoying?

OpIv37
04-06-2010, 12:04 PM
Troy Smith would be fun to watch... on another team. But he seems very Vick-like, in the sense that he'll make a big play from time to time, but in between he'll make a bunch of stupid mistakes that will make everyone in WNY independently utter a string of profanities at the exact same time.

I really don't know enough about Colt McCoy to comment, but I would not trade up to get him. First, we have no OL or WR's, which means having a QB does us nothing at this point. Second, we have too many holes to waste picks trading up for a QB.

ZAZusmc03
04-06-2010, 12:04 PM
I would live to see someone come in here and bring excitement back I this team. A guy tht can make all the throws is good in my book, but someone that can use their legs would be a plus. Even if its not Vince young type speed, I'd be happy with a big Ben type who shakes off tackles and makes plays.

justasportsfan
04-06-2010, 12:07 PM
Did Flutie?
no, which is why we would never have won a SB with him.

justasportsfan
04-06-2010, 12:08 PM
Ridiculous. Drew haters make me laugh. He came here to a team that was a laughingstock and carried them on his back from 3-13 to 8-8 in his first year, threw for 4300 yards, 24 tds and increased our points scored by 114 in one year. With zero offensive line help. He got worn down by all the hits he took but Drew was a warrior. But this is not a Drew thread and I'm not getting sucked in to a back and forth by commited haters like you and Justa. Comment on the topic or STFU.

Drew was nothing but a stop gap.

better days
04-06-2010, 12:13 PM

You have doubts about Tebows ability to throw the ball, but not McCoys or Smiths?

Bill Cody
04-06-2010, 12:15 PM
Troy Smith would be fun to watch... on another team. But he seems very Vick-like, in the sense that he'll make a big play from time to time, but in between he'll make a bunch of stupid mistakes that will make everyone in WNY independently utter a string of profanities at the exact same time.

Uttering profanities would be an upgrade over falling asleep in my book.

I really don't know enough about Colt McCoy to comment, but I would not trade up to get him. First, we have no OL or WR's, which means having a QB does us nothing at this point. Second, we have too many holes to waste picks trading up for a QB.

My thought on this are simple. We can't attract free agents right now. The team stinks and Ralph is an anchor around our necks, FA's are waiting for the old coot to kick off to see whether Buffalo is still going to have a team. So like it or not we have to put all our eggs in Buddy Nix's basket. So let's give him a pile of eggs. Trade down a couple times, grab some extra choices and draft McCoy around 25. This is supposed to be a deep draft. Nix needs to hit a few home runs to give us hope.

Nighthawk
04-06-2010, 12:16 PM
I'm a big fan of Colt McCoy and I just believe he has the ability to be a solid player in the NFL. I'd love for the Bills to get him.

better days
04-06-2010, 12:18 PM
Colt McCoy is the most accurate passer in the draft. If Tebow doesn't radically redo his motion he will get strip sacked at least once a game IMO.

Both Colt McCoy & Troy Smith have WEAK arms. Nix said he wanted a QB with a good arm for the Buffalo weather. You will never see either of those two in a Bills uniform, thank God.

Bill Cody
04-06-2010, 12:19 PM
You have doubts about Tebows ability to throw the ball, but not McCoys or Smiths?

I have some doubts about all three. Tebow to me is the biggest project. If these guys didn't all have some question marks we wouldn't have a shot at them. But my point is if your QB isn't a leader, what have you got?

Bill Cody
04-06-2010, 12:24 PM
Both Colt McCoy & Troy Smith have WEAK arms. Nix said he wanted a QB with a good arm for the Buffalo weather. You will never see either of those two in a Bills uniform, thank God.

McCoy's arm is not that weak. Neither is Smith's. Not rockets and I agree that is a plus in Buffalo especially, but JP had a rocket, that isn't what makes a QB a success. Check out this report of Colt's pro day.

http://collegesportsblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2010/04/colt-mccoy-connects-with-coaches-scouts.html

better days
04-06-2010, 12:33 PM
McCoy's arm is not that weak. Neither is Smith's. Not rockets and I agree that is a plus in Buffalo especially, but JP had a rocket, that isn't what makes a QB a success. Check out this report of Colt's pro day.

http://collegesportsblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2010/04/colt-mccoy-connects-with-coaches-scouts.html

So it looks like his arm is back to where it was before the injury. He still never had a strong enough arm to cut through the winds in Buffalo & the Noth East in general. He may be a decent QB in a dome, down south or out west, I just don't think he would do that well in Buffalo.

Bill Cody
04-06-2010, 12:43 PM
So it looks like his arm is back to where it was before the injury. He still never had a strong enough arm to cut through the winds in Buffalo & the Noth East in general. He may be a decent QB in a dome, down south or out west, I just don't think he would do that well in Buffalo.

I think his arm strength is adequate now but arm strength can be developed. Tom Brady had adequate at best arm strength coming into the league,which is one reason he slipped so far in the draft. He worked at it. If you recall his first year starting he connected on very few deep balls. Nobody's talking about arm strength for Brady anymore. The thing you want to look at even more than arm strength is accuracy. McCoy is the most accurate QB in this draft including Bradford. And he is a born leader.

better days
04-06-2010, 12:46 PM
I think his arm strength is adequate now but arm strength can be developed. Tom Brady had adequate at best arm strength coming into the league,which is one reason he slipped so far in the draft. He worked at it. If you recall his first year starting he connected on very few deep balls. Nobody's talking about arm strength for Brady anymore. The thing you want to look at even more than arm strength is accuracy. McCoy is the most accurate QB in this draft including Bradford. And he is a born leader.

Well Tebow is also a born leader & is pretty accurate. I think he will fix his throwing motion before McCoys arm gets all that much stronger

Bill Cody
04-06-2010, 01:08 PM
Well Tebow is also a born leader & is pretty accurate. I think he will fix his throwing motion before McCoys arm gets all that much stronger

You may be right but I don't think so. I believe Tebow's motion is a mess at the NFL level and he will get chosen after CM because of it. Colt McCoy is like Drew Brees. Not ideal size, not ideal arm strength, but very very accurate and a leader.

I'm not a big Tebow fan but I'd rather watch him have the occassional strip sack than watch the snoozefest we've been trotting out there in recent years. Tebow would not be boring I'd grant you that. I like his competitiveness.

better days
04-06-2010, 01:18 PM
You may be right but I don't think so. I believe Tebow's motion is a mess at the NFL level and he will get chosen after CM because of it. Colt McCoy is like Drew Brees. Not ideal size, not ideal arm strength, but very very accurate and a leader.

I'm not a big Tebow fan but I'd rather watch him have the occassional strip sack than watch the snoozefest we've been trotting out there in recent years. Tebow would not be boring I'd grant you that. I like his competitiveness.

I agree about the BORE that this team had become under Dick, I think McCoy would also be more exciting to watch than Trent & Ryan have been.

Griff
04-07-2010, 12:52 AM
know whats fun? winning, if we get another big armed stud who can't win a game you'll wish for some safe wins.