PDA

View Full Version : **My Exclusive Interview with The Zone's Own DB**

T-Long
04-06-2010, 07:35 PM
Check out my latest interview with the one and only Draftboy, via NFL.com

This past week I had the opportunity to sit down with columnist Matt Elder, a featured NFL scouting writer for DraftNasty.com. This website was founded by former NFL Pro Bowl safety and current NFL Network analyst Corey Chavous. Elder touched base on some of this year’s most intriguing NFL Draft prospects and gave his insight on where he thinks the Bills will go.

read more.. (http://blogblitz.nfl.com/buffalo-bills/entry/blog_blitz_q_and_a1)

Night Train
04-06-2010, 07:43 PM
Check out my latest interview with the one and only Draftboy, via NFL.com

read more.. (http://blogblitz.nfl.com/buffalo-bills/entry/blog_blitz_q_and_a1)

You have time from stalking Clausen to do this ? :D

T-Long
04-06-2010, 07:46 PM
You have time from stalking Clausen to do this ? :D
haha, I'm actually more of a fan of the Bills trying to land a franchise QB then I am of the man himself. He is realistically going to be there at 9 and I think they need to roll the dice and let Gailey and Cortez mold him into the QB this team has lacked since Kelly left.

BuffaloBlitz83
04-06-2010, 07:54 PM
Nice interview. I thought DB said earlier today, he didn't see Campbell as a first round LT but he ranked him 3rd ahead of Trent Williams, Anthony Davis.

DraftBoy
04-06-2010, 07:58 PM
Nice interview. I thought DB said earlier today, he didn't see Campbell as a first round LT but he ranked him 3rd ahead of Trent Williams, Anthony Davis.

I dont but I still like his upside more than those two.

bigbub2352
04-06-2010, 08:10 PM
great job boys, DB good analysis as always, i love Bulaga at 9 but you dont see us taking a QB at all? i was thinking Skelton in the 4th

Nighthawk
04-06-2010, 09:10 PM
Ehh, I'm not sure about DB's rankings, but it was a good interview....good job.

Romes
04-06-2010, 09:22 PM
I disagree with everything DB said. I haven't read it yet. I'm just disagreeing on principle.

:D

JCBills
04-06-2010, 09:27 PM
Good interview Terry, but I don't know about some of DB's choices for the Bills draft. 6'5'' 303 lb NT in the 2nd? Love the Carrington and Barnes picks though.

BillsWin
04-06-2010, 09:35 PM
Why would you interview that tool?

mikemac2001
04-06-2010, 09:45 PM
the zone's own douchebag?

DraftBoy
04-06-2010, 10:14 PM
great job boys, DB good analysis as always, i love Bulaga at 9 but you dont see us taking a QB at all? i was thinking Skelton in the 4th

No I dont really see it happening as of right now.

DraftBoy
04-06-2010, 10:14 PM
Ehh, I'm not sure about DB's rankings, but it was a good interview....good job.

That's the way I want it! :up:

DraftBoy
04-06-2010, 10:19 PM
I disagree with everything DB said. I haven't read it yet. I'm just disagreeing on principle.

You would! Where have you been recently? Haven't seen you around.

BuffaloBlitz83
04-06-2010, 10:20 PM
I can't see Clausen falling

DraftBoy
04-06-2010, 10:21 PM
Good interview Terry, but I don't know about some of DB's choices for the Bills draft. 6'5'' 303 lb NT in the 2nd? Love the Carrington and Barnes picks though.

He has the frame to easily add 15 pounds, has a great motor, and is one of the smartest DT's in the draft. He made plays despite taking on constant double teams since he was the only guy on that line who was worth blocking. He completely had his way with fellow draftee Sergio Render when they played VT, as well as Thomas Austin (Clemson) two years ago.

DraftBoy
04-06-2010, 10:22 PM
Why would you interview that tool?

I bribed him.

DraftBoy
04-06-2010, 10:22 PM
the zone's own douchebag?

You know how long it took me to secure that title?

BuffaloBlitz83
04-06-2010, 10:23 PM
What about NT Cam Thomas!

JCBills
04-06-2010, 10:31 PM
He has the frame to easily add 15 pounds, has a great motor, and is one of the smartest DT's in the draft. He made plays despite taking on constant double teams since he was the only guy on that line who was worth blocking. He completely had his way with fellow draftee Sergio Render when they played VT, as well as Thomas Austin (Clemson) two years ago.

Yeah, but I don't think they'll take a guy that early hoping he can get up to even reasonable NT weight, and 6'5'' is pushing it. From what I understand with Oghobaase, he's probably more of a mid rounder, maybe could go in the 3rd, but there are quite a few DTs ahead of him IMO.

JCBills
04-06-2010, 10:34 PM

Not even the best DT on that stacked UNC defense, which has 3-4 possible 1st-2nd rounders in the 2011 draft. I think he plays a little too high, and can get tied up by one blocker too easily too often.

Dicknoze69
04-06-2010, 10:42 PM

I think Thomas benefited a great deal from the McCargo-syndrome, where a dominant defensive lineman makes his other defensive linemates look better then they really are.

DraftBoy
04-06-2010, 10:43 PM
Yeah, but I don't think they'll take a guy that early hoping he can get up to even reasonable NT weight, and 6'5'' is pushing it. From what I understand with Oghobaase, he's probably more of a mid rounder, maybe could go in the 3rd, but there are quite a few DTs ahead of him IMO.

Very well could but keep in mind all 3-4 NT's are going to go higher than maybe their talent indicates. Watch out as well for D'Anthony Smith of LT to go higher than expected.

Romes
04-06-2010, 10:54 PM
You would! Where have you been recently? Haven't seen you around.

Yeah, combination of work and timezone have made it difficult. Still check in daily though. Keep up the good work man. :up:

JCBills
04-06-2010, 10:55 PM
Very well could but keep in mind all 3-4 NT's are going to go higher than maybe their talent indicates. Watch out as well for D'Anthony Smith of LT to go higher than expected.

I think so too, I think there could be up to 12 DTs taken in the first 64 picks. Maybe 10? We'll know in 2 weeks :O

Yeah he had some buzz early, but the talking heads haven't said a peep about him, so he gets no publicity, but I've seen him as a sleeper on a few places, very few. I haven't seen any of him, but I know he put on a show at his pro day, and those who have watched him closely see some serious potential.

Also liked the Kafka call on the underrated list. Dude fires the ball with a pretty quick release and can make a play with his feet, also beat a lot of good teams.

psubills62
04-06-2010, 11:02 PM
Emailing a bunch of lists does not constitute an interview.

Haha, just kidding. Not sure about some of the draft picks, though I would personally love to get Barnes. It looks like DB would be ecstatic if we simply picked a small-school prospect every time we could.

DraftBoy
04-06-2010, 11:09 PM
Emailing a bunch of lists does not constitute an interview.

Haha, just kidding. Not sure about some of the draft picks, though I would personally love to get Barnes. It looks like DB would be ecstatic if we simply picked a small-school prospect every time we could.

Let's just say Id be by far the happiest Bills fan!

BillsWin
04-06-2010, 11:39 PM
I bribed him.
Sounds like the low, selfish, pitiful thing you would do...

Being serious now, I agree with most of what you said in the interview. You and I don't often see eye to eye on QB's.

Though, we both agree Snead is the third best one out there, if only by default. I too think Tebow is third round worthy at best (not taking into account his intangibles that are making some people drool), and although I agree there is a chance Clausen falls, I like him a lot more than any of the other prospects out there (aside from Bradford).

I think McCoy needs some work, and Pike/LeFevour are nothing special. Skelton has a nice arm, but I don't like him for some reason...

shelby
04-07-2010, 04:10 AM
Good job!

SABURZFAN
04-07-2010, 04:58 AM
good job, guys. a few things that raised my interest in this interview...

- Snead is 3rd best QB- the guy has fallen off the map on some sites i read
- Selvish Capers 6th best T- ahead of Brown and Saffold
- Jared Odrick 8th best DT- some sites have him ranked higher
- JPP 5th overall in the mock draft- a reach in my opinion
- Haden 23rd overall- i read some sites saying he's the best CB
- Dez Bryant 25th overall- IMO big fall for a very talented player
- Clausen 26th overall (that had to kill T-Long)- i know DB didn't do any trade scenarios but i think somebody trades up to get him
- Oghobaase considered as a 2nd rounder- i read other sites and get the impression that he's a mid-rounder

not saying DB is wrong because i feel he's more accurate than some so-called experts. it was nice to get a different read on things.

jamze132
04-07-2010, 07:12 AM
Not too bad guys, good job.

ZAZusmc03
04-07-2010, 07:16 AM
I think the fact that DB takes a long and hard look at smaller school guys makes this thing so much more realistic. I feel like the "experts" really just use big name schools and players and don't look into the fact that there could possibly be better talent on smaller schools.

DraftBoy
04-07-2010, 07:35 AM
Sounds like the low, selfish, pitiful thing you would do...

Being serious now, I agree with most of what you said in the interview. You and I don't often see eye to eye on QB's.

Though, we both agree Snead is the third best one out there, if only by default. I too think Tebow is third round worthy at best (not taking into account his intangibles that are making some people drool), and although I agree there is a chance Clausen falls, I like him a lot more than any of the other prospects out there (aside from Bradford).

I think McCoy needs some work, and Pike/LeFevour are nothing special. Skelton has a nice arm, but I don't like him for some reason...

:cheers:

DraftBoy
04-07-2010, 07:41 AM
good job, guys. a few things that raised my interest in this interview...

- Snead is 3rd best QB- the guy has fallen off the map on some sites i read
- Selvish Capers 6th best T- ahead of Brown and Saffold
- Jared Odrick 8th best DT- some sites have him ranked higher
- JPP 5th overall in the mock draft- a reach in my opinion
- Haden 23rd overall- i read some sites saying he's the best CB
- Dez Bryant 25th overall- IMO big fall for a very talented player
- Clausen 26th overall (that had to kill T-Long)- i know DB didn't do any trade scenarios but i think somebody trades up to get him
- Oghobaase considered as a 2nd rounder- i read other sites and get the impression that he's a mid-rounder

not saying DB is wrong because i feel he's more accurate than some so-called experts. it was nice to get a different read on things.

On Snead...Yea Ive seen the same but the only guy Id consider ahead of him is McCoy who imo has a very low ceiling, which is to say he is close to done developing. He is at best a Chad Pennington style QB in this league.

Capers-I like him more than most and Im not buying into the Saffold hype based solely on one week of practice. He was solid but not dominant at Indiana in a weak Big 10. Brown I like but he is raw and Capers is a better run blocker.

Odrick-Not a fan, he does everything well and nothing great. He just doesn't impress me like he does others. I could see him early in Round 2, but I think its too high. He needs to be a 3-4 DE, though. Im interviewing him next week actually.

JPP-No doubt but somebody is going to fall in love with that athletic ability and Kansas City desperately needs some pass rush out of their 3-4. JPP is raw as hell and takes terrible angles but when asked to just get after the QB, you see the one thing he is really capable of doing. Id compare him to Maybin coming out.

Haden-He is shooting himself in the foot, bad workouts, horrible interviews, and crap representation. Don't be shocked if 1 or 2 CB's go ahead of him. He has two weeks though to turn it around.

Bryant-I agree he's a top 5 talent, but he won't go that high. He isn't a bad kid either but his attitude sucks and now he is whining about being labeled as a bad guy. He's shown a lot of immaturity and his workouts were so so.

Clausen-I agree, I envision a trade up for Jimmy.

Ogho-I like him a lot more than others and don't be surprised to see him come off in Round 2 or 3.

Thanks for the comments.

DraftBoy
04-07-2010, 07:42 AM
I think the fact that DB takes a long and hard look at smaller school guys makes this thing so much more realistic. I feel like the "experts" really just use big name schools and players and don't look into the fact that there could possibly be better talent on smaller schools.

I take great pride in going the extra mile to look at guys that will go later in the draft and not just go after the big names. Joique Bell is a name you all need to get familiar with, he is a hell of a back and could be an NFL starter if given the chance.

ZAZusmc03
04-07-2010, 07:45 AM
I take great pride in going the extra mile to look at guys that will go later in the draft and not just go after the big names. Joique Bell is a name you all need to get familiar with, he is a hell of a back and could be an NFL starter if given the chance.

Most of us appreciate that extra mile. To me its just as exciting researching and checking out the guys we pick up in the later rounds or UDFA's. Really, those are the guys that can make a huge difference in whether the draft is a success or not.

BlackMetalNinja
04-07-2010, 07:50 AM
As if we don't hear enough straight from the source itself???

Dude
04-07-2010, 07:51 AM
Good interview, but you are wrong about Tony Pike, especially this:
Then you see his backup come in and out-perform him and soon those questions start to become even bigger.Collaros did not "outperform" Pike. He is a completely different QB that brought different skills to the field. Both QBs won all their regular-season games so I don't see how one outperformed the other. Had you watched their games instead of just reviewing a few tapes you'd know this. Pike probably won't go high in the draft, but whoever is smart enough to take him will be getting a steal.

DraftBoy
04-07-2010, 08:21 AM
Good interview, but you are wrong about Tony Pike, especially this:Collaros did not "outperform" Pike. He is a completely different QB that brought different skills to the field. Both QBs won all their regular-season games so I don't see how one outperformed the other. Had you watched their games instead of just reviewing a few tapes you'd know this. Pike probably won't go high in the draft, but whoever is smart enough to take him will be getting a steal.

No I dont think I am at all. I watched 8 Cincy games this season and about 5 from last year. Pike is not the better QB of the two.

Collaros did outpreform Pike, the team played better, he put up better stats, and he did not fall into the same funks that Pike did. If you'd like to delve further into this, Im happy to go over it with you, but what did Pike do that you did not see Collaros do on the field in the Cincy system?

I agree its a different skill set but they still ran the same plays, Collaros is a more mobile athletic QB who can create with his feet, while Pike is a more deceptive athlete and a more polished thrower.

I will tell you one thing though you are wrong about just popping in a couple of tapes, as I said above I watched plenty of Bearcat football from this past season and the season before. Most scouts watch far less tape than I attempt to do for most of the prospects I grade.

Pike could surprise me, any prospect could, that being said I dont see it happening. Im glad you enjoyed the interview despite our difference of opinion on Pike.

k-oneputt
04-07-2010, 08:28 AM
Pioli is not taking JPP at #5.

That is not his style of pick that early for a guy with such a limited background. More Al Davis that early.

I think Pioli is going o-tackle.

Dude
04-07-2010, 08:39 AM
No I dont think I am at all. I watched 8 Cincy games this season and about 5 from last year. Pike is not the better QB of the two.

Collaros did outpreform Pike, the team played better, he put up better stats, and he did not fall into the same funks that Pike did. If you'd like to delve further into this, Im happy to go over it with you, but what did Pike do that you did not see Collaros do on the field in the Cincy system?

I agree its a different skill set but they still ran the same plays, Collaros is a more mobile athletic QB who can create with his feet, while Pike is a more deceptive athlete and a more polished thrower.

I will tell you one thing though you are wrong about just popping in a couple of tapes, as I said above I watched plenty of Bearcat football from this past season and the season before. Most scouts watch far less tape than I attempt to do for most of the prospects I grade.

Pike could surprise me, any prospect could, that being said I dont see it happening. Im glad you enjoyed the interview despite our difference of opinion on Pike.And we will have to agree to disagree then. Not sure which games you watched, but you have definitely missed the mark on this one. To say that Collaros outperformed Pike is ridiculous. You can't do an apples-to-apples comparision of the two.

I get it - you're a "draft expert". Doesn't mean you're always right.

DraftBoy
04-07-2010, 08:50 AM
Pioli is not taking JPP at #5.

That is not his style of pick that early for a guy with such a limited background. More Al Davis that early.

I think Pioli is going o-tackle.

well remeber last year he tried to outsmart everyone abs go with Jackson.

Also they have Albert who by all indications is going to be there LT so why go RT at 5?

DraftBoy
04-07-2010, 08:54 AM
And we will have to agree to disagree then. Not sure which games you watched, but you have definitely missed the mark on this one. To say that Collaros outperformed Pike is ridiculous. You can't do an apples-to-apples comparision of the two.

I didn't say I was always right and I offered to compare my breakdowns with you if you wanted to see why I said what I said. It's not about I trying to convince you Im right or you trying to convince me. It was a genuine offer to go buond just two sentences and let you see what I saw and why I said what I said. If you want that Ill be happy to provide it for you.

JCBills
04-07-2010, 09:04 AM
And we will have to agree to disagree then. Not sure which games you watched, but you have definitely missed the mark on this one. To say that Collaros outperformed Pike is ridiculous. You can't do an apples-to-apples comparision of the two.

Collaros threw for 480 against UCONN. Not many people can post 555 total yds in a game.

Dude
04-07-2010, 09:11 AM
Collaros threw for 480 against UCONN. Not many people can post 555 total yds in a game.True, and I never said that Collaros wasn't a good QB. But taking the body of work of both QBs into account over the past two years, neither outperformed the other.

Regardless, I've said my piece about DB's analysis and I don't want to turn this thread into a Tony Pike soapbox.

justasportsfan
04-07-2010, 09:53 AM
Who's draftboy? :idunno:

psubills62
04-07-2010, 10:05 AM
Capers-I like him more than most and Im not buying into the Saffold hype based solely on one week of practice. He was solid but not dominant at Indiana in a weak Big 10. .

I'm not sure if you're talking overall conference here, though that seems to be a discussion for a different day.

I would say the Big 10 has quite a few great DE's that Saffold might have faced. Heck, he went against a pretty darn good DE tandem in practices every day. Also, weren't you defending the DE's that Bulaga faced each year in another thread?

DraftBoy
04-07-2010, 10:31 AM
I'm not sure if you're talking overall conference here, though that seems to be a discussion for a different day.

I would say the Big 10 has quite a few great DE's that Saffold might have faced. Heck, he went against a pretty darn good DE tandem in practices every day. Also, weren't you defending the DE's that Bulaga faced each year in another thread?

Its not all about the DE's, the Big 10 has some good ones, Graham, Kirlew, Middleton, Kerrigan, and Heyward...but is that comparable to Dunlap, Cunningham, Hardy, Coleman, Houston, Matthews, Norwood, and Geathers?

Ill take the SEC, and ACC DL's over the Big 10 any day as of now. In a few years that may chance.

psubills62
04-07-2010, 10:41 AM
Its not all about the DE's, the Big 10 has some good ones, Graham, Kirlew, Middleton, Kerrigan, and Heyward...but is that comparable to Dunlap, Cunningham, Hardy, Coleman, Houston, Matthews, Norwood, and Geathers?

Ill take the SEC, and ACC DL's over the Big 10 any day as of now. In a few years that may chance.

I wouldn't. Did you happen to see what Iowa's DL did to the ACC champion - i.e. that team that ran all over the ACC DL's?

IMO, the SEC DE's may be a more talented group, but they're a lot more inconsistent than the Big Ten DE's. Graham, Heyward, Clayborn all showed up to play every game - can you really say the same about Dunlap and Hardy?

My main issue was with you calling the BT weak. Even if you manage to convince me that the SEC (and maybe the ACC) DL's are really better than the SEC, I'd make the argument that the BT is not far behind at all - which would typically mean that they really aren't that weak.

k-oneputt
04-07-2010, 11:00 AM
[quote=DraftBoy]well remeber last year he tried to outsmart everyone abs go with Jackson.

Also they have Albert who by all indications is going to be there LT so why go RT at 5?[/quot

Albert is not as of yet the left tackle but if so they may take your boy Bulauga and put him on the right side were he really belongs, or go Trent Williams.
Point is JPP with limited background would not be a move Pioli would go with imo. T. Jackson had plenty of background. Why you think Jackson is a bust already ?

k-oneputt
04-07-2010, 11:03 AM
Geezus don't get him going on the Big-10.

Mahdi
04-07-2010, 11:06 AM
You seem to have changed your stance on Clausen and Davis. Surprising that you have Davis ahead of Trent Williams.

Also, I can live with Bulaga but I can't stand the rest of your Bills mock. Vince Oghobasse is not that much more impressive than any other NT that can be found in rounds 4 and 5 and we already have 3 DE in Stroud, Edwards and Johsnon, possibly Williams. We don't need a 3rd round DE in Carrington.

My biggest issue overall is the lack of playmakers in your mock. We would be the same old boring Bills that can't pass the opponents 25 yard line.

Other than that yer analysis was good. Nice job.

JCBills
04-07-2010, 03:15 PM

Don't forget Clayborn (sackless vs Saffold in career), Wootton, Gibson, and Schofield.

I honestly would say they're very comparable. Yeah, you'll see more speed rushers and a total physical freak or two in the SEC, but a lot of the SEC players seem to have baggage, commitment issues, and/or take plays off. Saffold had some very challenging matchups.

patmoran2006
04-07-2010, 03:31 PM
nothing can compare to my interview with Joe Logan a few months ago.

JK. Good job T. Long

T-Long
04-07-2010, 04:07 PM
nothing can compare to my interview with Joe Logan a few months ago.

JK. Good job T. Long
None of us could ever beat that! haha

Ground Chuck
04-07-2010, 09:06 PM
Is there anything worse than internet wannabes interviewing each other?