• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mr. Miyagi
    Lecter's Little *****

• Sep 2002

Training Camp Preview: Buffalo Bills

Notable Offseason Moves: If you ask Travis Henry, I'm pretty sure he'd say the most notable move was the drafting of running back Willis McGahee in round one. Not only is McGahee damaged goods, but the Bills had more pressing needs on the defensive side of the ball. Henry did not take the pick well at first, but has since accepted it—at least publicly.

That wasn't the only bold move pulled off by Buffalo's front office. Faced with tough economic circumstances, the Bills were forced to trade franchise wide receiver Peerless Price to the Falcons for a first-round pick that turned out to be McGahee. (I'm not hating on Willis, but I get the feeling the Bills are going to regret that trade. Electric All-Pro for injured rookie? Straight up? Are they kidding?)

The free agency period brought about a swap of kickers, as Mike Hollis was replaced by former-Seahawk Rian Lindell. This was one of the more curious moves of the offseason, as Lindell is a downgrade from Hollis. Some see Lindell as a sleeper because of Buffalo's productive offense, but I'm content to sleep on him.

The Bills also made free agent trades at running back and tight end. Shawn Bryson and Larry Centers were replaced by former-Bronco Olandis Gary, and Jay Riemersma was let go in favor of former-Brown Mark Campbell.

Buffalo used the offseason to improve its defense with big names like Takeo Spikes and Sam Adams, but the passing game took a beating. Price, Centers, and Riemersma caught 45 percent of Drew Bledsoe's attempts last season. Josh Reed, Gary, and Campbell may match their 169 receptions this year, but I doubt it.

Fanball is a daily fantasy sports platform. Compete against friends or strangers in various contest formats for fun or for prizes.

I'm not hating on Willis, but I get the feeling the Bills are going to regret that trade. Electric All-Pro for injured rookie? Straight up? Are they kidding?)

This was one of the more curious moves of the offseason, as Lindell is a downgrade from Hollis. Some see Lindell as a sleeper because of Buffalo's productive offense, but I'm content to sleep on him.

Price, Centers, and Riemersma caught 45 percent of Drew Bledsoe's attempts last season. Josh Reed, Gary, and Campbell may match their 169 receptions this year, but I doubt it.
    Who wants to bet the moron who wrote this is a cheesy Phish fan?
  • venis2k1
    Youboty can hope
    • Jul 2002

There was ALOT more involved than Price for Willis straight up, it was more like nothing for willis straight up

Comment

• venis2k1
      Youboty can hope
      • Jul 2002

Also we offered Hollis more than fair market value, he turned it down and ended up taking less...I love TD.

Comment

• BillsFanInMass
        The Stoner Zoner
        • Feb 2003

yeah this guy is a schmuck who wrote this

Comment

• Doc
          • Dec 2002

Actually the guy is pretty good and a Bills fan I believe. He just didn't like the McGahee pick, which a lot of Bills fans were divided over. At the end he does say that you have to root for McGahee.

Comment

• Mr. Miyagi
            Lecter's Little *****

• Sep 2002

Yeah I read the end of it and felt pretty motivated. He's just pretty critcal on some of the moves. Maybe the guy's Wys.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
              Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
              • May 2003

What a lot of these "experts" fail to understand is that we have retooles our O as well as our D. Campbell gives you more blocking than JR, ditto SG vs. LC. OG is a great backup for TH. WE WILL RUN MORE, PASS LESS, thus the losses of PP, JR. and LC are not as crucial as some make them out to be.
              Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• BillsNYC
                Man of the People
                • Jul 2002

this guy is like michael moore...hes picking out pieces of a much bigger story and using them to his benefit.
                Thank you.

Comment

• Jeff1220
                  H to the 12:20
                  • Jul 2002

I don't understand how Riems is a loss. I was very high on this guy a few years back and really thought he'd turn into a special TE. He never did though, and with practically no blocking ability, he had to be known as a pass-catching TE. Well, he didn't do that very well either. Every once in a while JR'd get a big first down (just enough to get a little notice), but more often it was a dropsie. See ya Jay! Have fun in Pittsburgh.

A one dimensional player, who doesn't even do that one thing very well, is a waste of space.

Comment

Working...
                  X