PDA

View Full Version : I hope Miller doesn't have to fight his own battles

chernobylwraiths
04-07-2010, 10:21 AM
With Miller in that altercation last night, I hope to see a little more support from the team. I'd also like to see that hit on Myers in the corner again. It looked like Callahan launched himself at him.

OpIv37
04-07-2010, 10:26 AM
are you talking about the one in the 3rd period?

Tiny Derek Roy grabbed the dude from behind and Lydman came right in- the other guys had their backs turned and were already headed up ice for the breakout so they probably didn't see it.

Don't get me wrong- in general, the defense of Miller has been spotty at best. But in this particular case, I think Lydman and Roy handled it well. Miller was just in the guy's face because he was so pissed.

chernobylwraiths
04-07-2010, 10:33 AM
are you talking about the one in the 3rd period?

Tiny Derek Roy grabbed the dude from behind and Lydman came right in- the other guys had their backs turned and were already headed up ice for the breakout so they probably didn't see it.

Don't get me wrong- in general, the defense of Miller has been spotty at best. But in this particular case, I think Lydman and Roy handled it well. Miller was just in the guy's face because he was so pissed.

They handled it right? Miller was bumped into/run AGAIN and had to get in the guy's face himself. Roy grabbed him from behind because that is the best he could do and Lydman just made sure to push him away from Miller. A guy runs your goalie, you gotta DO something and we rarely do. Unless Rivet, Montadour, Gaustad, Mair are on the ice.

OpIv37
04-07-2010, 10:37 AM
They handled it right? Miller was bumped into/run AGAIN and had to get in the guy's face himself. Roy grabbed him from behind because that is the best he could do and Lydman just made sure to push him away from Miller. A guy runs your goalie, you gotta DO something and we rarely do. Unless Rivet, Montadour, Gaustad, Mair are on the ice.

Well it would have been nice if Gaustad or Mair, or even Grier or Torres, were there to really stomp the guy, but I think Roy and Lydman did about the most they're capable of, which is more than what Vanek, Connolly, Pominville, Kennedy, Hecht, Butler or Sekera would have done.

Ebenezer
04-07-2010, 10:40 AM
why does everybody think because you hit somebody back after they run the goalie that they will stop running the goalie? very strange belief amongst hockey fans. the only way to stop a guy from running the goalie is to use your hockey stick as a baseball bat to his face. torterella's teams are infamous for running goalies. think there might be a coincidence there? I would suspect they would continue to run them as long as he tells them to run them. fans need to get over this emotion - it serves no purpose. these are free thinking NHL professional hockey players who will continue to run the goalie regardless what you do.

trapezeus
04-07-2010, 11:30 AM
i hope the sabres run the opposing goalies. it's clear they don't want to fight over miller getting run, but it would be awesome if they responded with a mamoth running of the opposing goalie. that'd show some real brass and make a playoff series quite enjoyable.

RockStar36
04-07-2010, 11:40 AM
Roy stood up for his teammates twice last night and from what I can tell, that is two more times than he has all season. I was very pleased with that.

G Wolly
04-07-2010, 12:39 PM
I was seated right behind that net and saw Miller fight back and it got everyone going crazy.

Derek also went after the guy who dumped Myers in the corner.

SkateZilla
04-07-2010, 12:52 PM
you have to launch yourself at myers to hit him shoulder to shoulder, he's so effing tall..

chernobylwraiths
04-07-2010, 12:53 PM
Well it would have been nice if Gaustad or Mair, or even Grier or Torres, were there to really stomp the guy, but I think Roy and Lydman did about the most they're capable of, which is more than what Vanek, Connolly, Pominville, Kennedy, Hecht, Butler or Sekera would have done.

Actually, and I hate to say it, but Connolly has been one of the few to stand up for Miller.

chernobylwraiths
04-07-2010, 12:56 PM
why does everybody think because you hit somebody back after they run the goalie that they will stop running the goalie? very strange belief amongst hockey fans. the only way to stop a guy from running the goalie is to use your hockey stick as a baseball bat to his face. torterella's teams are infamous for running goalies. think there might be a coincidence there? I would suspect they would continue to run them as long as he tells them to run them. fans need to get over this emotion - it serves no purpose. these are free thinking NHL professional hockey players who will continue to run the goalie regardless what you do.

If there is retribution, players will be less likely to go after the goalie. Sure, they will still bump goalies, but they will do it less often. No hockey fan wants to see their team back down all the time and allow their star players to be pushed around.

I find it strange that you say they won't stop running the goalie unless you take your stick across their face though.

chernobylwraiths
04-07-2010, 12:57 PM
Roy stood up for his teammates twice last night and from what I can tell, that is two more times than he has all season. I was very pleased with that.

It is more than I've ever seen from him, even if the only thing he did is grab them.

Ebenezer
04-07-2010, 02:10 PM
If there is retribution, players will be less likely to go after the goalie. Sure, they will still bump goalies, but they will do it less often. No hockey fan wants to see their team back down all the time and allow their star players to be pushed around.

I find it strange that you say they won't stop running the goalie unless you take your stick across their face though.

That's false, it's been proven to be false and will always be false. Retribution does not equal less goalie running. It's just not true. the guys on HNIC, NHLN, Paul Hamilton and other reporters have all said the same thing. There are certain coaches and certain players that will continually run goalies regardless what you do to retaliate unless you physically take that player out of the game (hence the stick across the face comment)...and when that guy is out of the game they will just send somebody else out there to run the goalie. Retailiation does not decrease it; it's a misconception.

trapezeus
04-07-2010, 02:18 PM
That's false, it's been proven to be false and will always be false. Retribution does not equal less goalie running. It's just not true. the guys on HNIC, NHLN, Paul Hamilton and other reporters have all said the same thing. There are certain coaches and certain players that will continually run goalies regardless what you do to retaliate unless you physically take that player out of the game (hence the stick across the face comment)...and when that guy is out of the game they will just send somebody else out there to run the goalie. Retailiation does not decrease it; it's a misconception.

i disagree with this. it might not stop goalie running, but it slows down the running. if you know there is no repurcussion you go as hard as humanly possible every chance you get. If you know you're going to get popped just as frequently, it takes a toll on players and they slowly stop doing it with the same force. It becomes a mind game that the runner has to deal with. and the goalie has a piece of mind that the front of the net is going to be cleared.

RockStar36
04-07-2010, 03:15 PM
It is more than I've ever seen from him, even if the only thing he did is grab them.

In the case of the Myers hit, he did a little more than just grab Callahan.

Even if Roy doesn't drop the gloves, I think him standing up for his teammates sends a message to the rest of the team.

I'm ok with what Roy did. I'm not so sure I'd even want him dropping his gloves.

SkateZilla
04-07-2010, 04:38 PM

just ask Holweg

Mski
04-07-2010, 04:45 PM
the reason standing up for your teammates has not bearing on future actions of the other team is because of the god awful instigator rule... most you can do to stick up for a teammate is push the guy around, they're not affraid of getting whopped in a fight because of the extra 2min.

chernobylwraiths
04-07-2010, 08:59 PM
Personally, I think Miller is a little sick of the lack of physical support he gets when guys drop on him.