PDA

View Full Version : Kiper “hearing” no Clausen for Bills

justasportsfan
04-07-2010, 11:27 AM
ESPN draft guru Mel Kiper was asked on a national conference call with McNabb now in Washington how that would affect where Jimmy Clausen might come off the board. Kiper doesn’t see Clausen winding up with the Bills, and not because he’ll necessarily be unavailable.

“With the Redskins making the move for McNabb, there’s obviously an impact on Jimmy (Clausen),” Kiper said. “It’s going to be interesting to see where he’s going to go because nobody has a real feel for it right now. I have him going to Oakland at 8, but I still think Seattle is a possibility at 6.

“I’ve heard no to several teams, particularly Buffalo. I’ve heard no to Buffalo (for Clausen). So you’ve got to go with what you hear. I have NOT heard no to Oakland so I have him going there. I have NOT heard totally no to Seattle. I’ve heard from different people I’ve spoken to that I shouldn’t count him out for Seattle at 6.”

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2010/04/07/kiper-hearing-no-clausen-for-bills/

Dicknoze69
04-07-2010, 11:29 AM
Mort has repeatedly said the same thing with us regarding Clausen. Additionally, an insider on another board who has proven extremely trustworthy claimed that the only QB we'd take at #9 is Bradford and that we see Clausen as a fringe 1st rounder.

PIZ
04-07-2010, 11:33 AM
Mort has repeatedly said the same thing with us regarding Clausen. Additionally, an insider on another board who has proven extremely trustworthy claimed that the only QB we'd take at #9 is Bradford and that we see Clausen as a fringe 1st rounder.

What board? What insider? I'm curious because I'd like to read about it. Seems like this regime is so guarded in everything they do - there used to always be a "little bird told me" poster on just about every board, but now there is no one.

ChristopherWalken
04-07-2010, 11:37 AM
Yeah, I don't buy this. Teams don't just reveal their hand to the national media right before the draft...unless they're bluffing.

BillsMan80
04-07-2010, 11:38 AM
Like a team is really going to tell Mel Kiper what they are doing and who they are looking to draft on draft day...keep hearing what you are "hearing" Mel. Probably makes it more likely now that Mel is not hearing it.

DraftBoy
04-07-2010, 11:38 AM
Ive heard it as well from people rumbling around. I wasn't going to come out and state it clear like Mel did because I wasn't 100% convinced that it was true, but Im hearing Buffalo is not interested in Clausen.

Jaybird
04-07-2010, 11:40 AM
Ive heard it as well from people rumbling around. I wasn't going to come out and state it clear like Mel did because I wasn't 100% convinced that it was true, but Im hearing Buffalo is not interested in Clausen.

Couldn't be happier, the boy has talent but doesnt have the head for the game (just like Losman)

justasportsfan
04-07-2010, 11:41 AM
Is there a THurm suicide watch yet?

THATHURMANATOR
04-07-2010, 11:42 AM
I am fine with this I suppose but I want a freaking QB SO BADLY.. WTF!!!!!

WeAreArthurMoates
While I would of liked Clausen, he's not a sure fire pick like a Big Ben was so it wont break my heart.

DraftBoy
Couldn't be happier, the boy has talent but doesnt have the head for the game (just like Losman)

Im not saying Im completely buying it or that we should think its a done deal that we aren't taking him but with Kiper corroborating what Im hearing I feel more comfortable in thinking we will pass on him.

BillsMan80
04-07-2010, 11:44 AM
The other major intagible to throw in here is that there may be rumors of no, but what happens if say the Top 8 picks go like this...and I am just throwing this out there as an example:

1. St. Louis-Sam Bradford
2. Detroit-Russell Okung
3. Tampa Bay-Gerald McCoy
4. Washington-Bryan Bulaga
5. Kansas City-Ndamukong Suh
6. Seattle-Trent Williams
7. Cleveland-Eric Berry
8. Oakland-Anthony Davis

All of a sudden it doesn't look so much like a no or if it goes like this:

2. Detroit-Ndamukong Suh
3. Tampa Bay-Gerald MCoy
4. Washington-Russell Okung
5. Kansas City-Bryan Bulaga
7. Cleveland-Dan Williams
8. Oakland-Anthony Davis

Then what in that scenario...if Okung drops to 9 which ain't happening of course it will be a no on Clausen. Probably all depends on who is there.

justasportsfan
04-07-2010, 11:46 AM
If Clausen drops, would Tebow drop further?

tat2dmike77
04-07-2010, 11:47 AM
This why i hate these draft guys. They act like what they say is gold. Like many of you have stated no team is going lay out thier draft plan to Kiper.

DraftBoy
04-07-2010, 11:48 AM

I dont think so.

Clausen drops somebody deals up to grab him. Likely a team like the 49ers, Browns, Cheifs who don't necessairly have a massive need at QB for the immediate but want some insurance and feel like the value is too much.

SABURZFAN
04-07-2010, 11:48 AM
meanwhile.... T-Long just went to go look for the tallest building to jump off of.

DraftBoy
04-07-2010, 11:51 AM
This why i hate these draft guys. They act like what they say is gold. Like many of you have stated no team is going lay out thier draft plan to Kiper.

I will say this because I have minor experience in it now.

These guys only are able to report a small part of what they know. Im sure Coach, T-Long, and Pat could back me up. But just because you are told something doesnt mean you can report it.

Ive had agents point blank tell me that team A, has told player B that if he is the X Round he is there pick. Id love to report that but I can't because he told it to me off the record and its a relationship I want to keep.

I have no doubt Kiper, McShay, and Mayock are the same way.

BillsMan80
04-07-2010, 11:53 AM
Still, I am not sure I buy it because I highly doubt anyone really knows who the Bills really want at 9...I expect Okung, Bulaga, and Trent Williams to be gone though before 8 and I really don't think Nix and Gailey would be dumb enough to draft a fat, overrated slob like Anthony Davis in the Top 10 who is Mike Williams all over again. In fact if this team decides that Clausen isn't the guy at 9 and the top 3 tackles are gone I would sincerely hope they really do value BPA and take Spiller or Bryant.

Ed
04-07-2010, 11:57 AM
Like a team is really going to tell Mel Kiper what they are doing and who they are looking to draft on draft day...keep hearing what you are "hearing" Mel. Probably makes it more likely now that Mel is not hearing it.
It's not like Nix or Gailey are calling up Kiper to tell them what their plans are, but I'm sure Kiper has contacts with people who are close enough to the teams that they can at least give a legitimate opinion of how a team feels about a certain player. He's just reporting what he's heard, he's not stating it as fact.

FlyingDutchman
04-07-2010, 11:58 AM
Thank god

jamze132
04-07-2010, 12:08 PM
I heard today too that Clausen won't be the #9 pick by the Bills. I said it out loud to myself, therefore I heard it.

Let's rehash this thread when Buffalo does indeed **** up and draft Clausen.

BuffaloBlitz83
04-07-2010, 12:15 PM
I think they pass on Jimmy.

psubills62
04-07-2010, 12:21 PM
The other major intagible to throw in here is that there may be rumors of no, but what happens if say the Top 8 picks go like this...and I am just throwing this out there as an example:

2. Detroit-Russell Okung
7. Cleveland-Eric Berry
8. Oakland-Anthony Davis

2. Detroit-Ndamukong Suh
3. Tampa Bay-Gerald MCoy
8. Oakland-Anthony Davis

Then what in that scenario...if Okung drops to 9 which ain't happening of course it will be a no on Clausen. Probably all depends on who is there.

If that's how the first 8 picks went down, I'd probably look at trading down or drafting an OLB, someone like Sergio Kindle or Brandon Graham.

jaycorp51
04-07-2010, 12:25 PM
Still, I am not sure I buy it because I highly doubt anyone really knows who the Bills really want at 9...I expect Okung, Bulaga, and Trent Williams to be gone though before 8 and I really don't think Nix and Gailey would be dumb enough to draft a fat, overrated slob like Anthony Davis in the Top 10 who is Mike Williams all over again. In fact if this team decides that Clausen isn't the guy at 9 and the top 3 tackles are gone I would sincerely hope they really do value BPA and take Spiller or Bryant.

I believe they're going BPA if the top tackles are off the board. Oakland could throw a curve in there and take Bruce Campbell...he was pretty fast for a lineman.

trapezeus
04-07-2010, 12:43 PM
i like this about the new front office. i like that they really haven't said anything in terms of what direction they are going.

if they feel like they can trade down, they've put out enough information out there to get a decent offer from teams.

If they want to stay put, they'll get their man. plus with this team being so bad right now as of this very minute, it's hard to think that they'll get another bust if they go with best player available.

Slim
04-07-2010, 12:51 PM
I just have a feeling that will pass on Jimmy. Although Jimmy is flawed, I'd be stocked to know we have a new QB.

malvado78
04-07-2010, 01:02 PM

2. Detroit-Russell Okung
7. Cleveland-Eric Berry
8. Oakland-Anthony Davis

2. Detroit-Ndamukong Suh
3. Tampa Bay-Gerald MCoy
8. Oakland-Anthony Davis

I would be willing bet that if it went down like either fo the above you would see Spiller in a BB uni next year.

And I wouldn't be hating that.

Yes that pushes us off addressing reall need early but who are we kidding the Bills aren't going to be any good this year. Might as well pick up some genuine talent for the future.

THATHURMANATOR
04-07-2010, 01:09 PM
While I would of liked Clausen, he's not a sure fire pick like a Big Ben was so it wont break my heart.
I just don't remember Big ben being anymore sure fire than Clausen.

justasportsfan
04-07-2010, 01:21 PM
I just don't remember Big ben being anymore sure fire than Clausen.
I remember.

wmoz11
04-07-2010, 01:29 PM
If we don't get Bradford or Clausen, I hope we don't draft out "future" QB just for the sake of drafting one.

I'd rather play this season with Edwards and then hopefully draft one of the QB's early next year (Locker, please).

ddaryl
04-07-2010, 02:15 PM
I am fine with this I suppose but I want a freaking QB SO BADLY.. WTF!!!!!

Locker in 2011 for the Bills ...

Make some moves, stock pile a few extra picks for 2011... use this draft which is deep at OL and DL to fix our OL DL and then trade our 2012 1st along with swapping our 2011 1st and some extra picks to move all the way to the front of the pack for Locker in 2011...

I really don't think there is really any QB in this draft that gives us what we want. There are some QB's that would be worth developing but there is no real QB pickup in this draft that would truly satisfy our desire to be superbowl contenders IMO.

BillsMan80
04-07-2010, 02:21 PM
Locker in 2011 for the Bills ...

Make some moves, stock pile a few extra picks for 2011... use this draft which is deep at OL and DL to fix our OL DL and then trade our 2012 1st along with swapping our 2011 1st and some extra picks to move all the way to the front of the pack for Locker in 2011...

I really don't think there is really any QB in this draft that gives us what we want. There are some QB's that would be worth developing but there is no real QB pickup in this draft that would truly satisfy our desire to be superbowl contenders IMO.

I don't get the infatuation with Locker...Clausen was a much better QB in college and is very similar in skill to Locker. Locker has been an extremely inconsistent college QB who has major accuracy issues and simply is solely a height, weight, speed, arm guy right now without any of the accuracy, or mind, or intangible stuff yet. I don't see the infatuation with these guys like Locker and Mallett who are big time risks and have a fairly large bust opportunity IMO.

wmoz11
04-07-2010, 02:28 PM
I don't get the infatuation with Locker...Clausen was a much better QB in college and is very similar in skill to Locker. Locker has been an extremely inconsistent college QB who has major accuracy issues and simply is solely a height, weight, speed, arm guy right now without any of the accuracy, or mind, or intangible stuff yet. I don't see the infatuation with these guys like Locker and Mallett who are big time risks and have a fairly large bust opportunity IMO.

Locker made the switch from spread offense to pro-style in one year and did it very well. He's an extremely bright kid and besides having all the physical attributes, it seems to me that his intangibles are incredible.

Now, I'll admit I only saw 4 or so games of him this year, but he impressed me in each one.

Mallett, on the other hand, does nothing for me. It seems to me that your description of Locker would better fit Mallett (minus the speed).

BillsMan80
04-07-2010, 02:33 PM
Locker made the switch from spread offense to pro-style in one year and did it very well. He's an extremely bright kid and besides having all the physical attributes, it seems to me that his intangibles are incredible.

Now, I'll admit I only saw 4 or so games of him this year, but he impressed me in each one.

Mallett, on the other hand, does nothing for me. It seems to me that your description of Locker would better fit Mallett (minus the speed).

See I do not like Locker's College Completion percentage as it was under 60% and this is at the college level as well the issue I have that he throws a lot of interceptions...

wmoz11
04-07-2010, 02:37 PM
See I do not like Locker's College Completion percentage as it was under 60% and this is at the college level as well the issue I have that he throws a lot of interceptions...

Legitimate concerns, but Stafford and Ryan threw a lot of interceptions, too.

When I see Locker, I just see a tough, smart, winner; even if his teams haven't been that great (horrible at times, actually). He has had no weapons offensively.

I think he has a HUGE year with another full year in Sarkisian's system.

TedMock
04-07-2010, 02:42 PM
I hope this is all true. I still say Clausen falls further than pick #20. We will have plenty of options to grab a real starter in the first two rounds. I can see Derrick Morgan and Sergio Kindle being available in round one. Schobel hasn't made up his mind yet, but we need to be prepared. Maybin - well, we have no idea what's coming of him. In round two I could see us going after Charles Brown if available and maybe Saffold, if he's not. I do think we end up with a 3rd rounder should we trade Lynch and this may be the way to go at this point. I like Lynch, but the stupidity has wore it's welcome out. Two 3rds would be great. We could address future DT and future QB possibilities. Maybe Linval Joseph and Tony Pike. REMEMBER I'm talking 3rd round with both of these guys, not 1st. Joseph needs to develop a bit into his talent, but he could do that with the rotating system it seems we're going to run. Pike, is probably my 4th to 6th QB, but he has the arm and athleticism to grow and is worth a third. I wouldn't mind taking a shot at Crompton in the 4th either. Although some have him going in the 3rd. If not QB (if we have 2 thirds) then maybe a RB like Hardesty or McKnight in the 3rd.

Oaf
04-07-2010, 03:42 PM
Excellent.

JCBills
04-07-2010, 03:49 PM
Two weeks away, yeah, I'm sure OBD is letting people know who is and isn't a possibility for us.

tampabay25690
04-07-2010, 04:45 PM

No because everyone has Tebow going in the 2nd anyway when I know he will probably be gone before the 2nd starts...

TigerJ
04-07-2010, 06:12 PM
If there is a run and the top 4 offensive tackles are gone AND the Bills don't intend to draft Clausen, the next most likely option is Dan Williams. Otherwise, they attempt a trade down, or they reach a bit for someone like Graham or Kindle.

BillsMan80
04-07-2010, 06:23 PM
If there is a run and the top 4 offensive tackles are gone AND the Bills don't intend to draft Clausen, the next most likely option is Dan Williams. Otherwise, they attempt a trade down, or they reach a bit for someone like Graham or Kindle.

And therein lies the problem with this team...when you reach for substandard talent like Williams, Graham, or Kindle, you open up the opportunity for a player to not live up to expectations therefore enhancing the possibility of a bust. That's why the teams that draft BPA are consistently good, year after year, and why teams like the Bills who will reach for need continue to stink year after year.

Novacane
04-07-2010, 06:53 PM
If this is in fact true I have a lot more faith in Buddy Nix than I did before hearing this. Clausen is a fringe 1rst rounder. Good to hear the Bills(maybe) feel the same!

YardRat
04-07-2010, 07:17 PM
I really think he'll be gone before 9, but if he isn't I hope we pass also.

Night Train
04-07-2010, 07:26 PM
I think they pass on Jimmy.

Elaine passed on him

"Jimmy's been watching you. You're just Jimmy's type ! "

Dying_-2-_Live
04-07-2010, 07:52 PM
This is a smokescreen leak...
The Bills are going to consider and probably pick Clausen if he is there at 9. Thats my opinion

bosshogg21
04-08-2010, 12:56 AM
So draftboy, what are the player x's that the bills haven't said no to at pick 9? I'm interested in knowing what they think of cj spiller.

alohabillsfan
04-08-2010, 04:52 AM
yep. concur, sounds like Clausens the pick, Tebow is the smokescreen.

TedMock
04-08-2010, 08:02 AM

This is why BPA is the best way to go. I agree with your premise, but disagree a bit with your rankings. I think Dan Williams would be the reach of the three you mentioned. I think Williams could actually fall into the 2nd round. Graham is probably a little reach worth more in the middle of the round, but Kindle is a top-10 talent and would make sense, in my opinion.

THATHURMANATOR
04-08-2010, 08:04 AM
By the way I don't take any creadance into what Kiper Hears about any team's selections. Why would they tell him who they were picking?

psubills62
04-08-2010, 08:27 AM
By the way I don't take any creadance into what Kiper Hears about any team's selections. Why would they tell him who they were picking?

I'm assuming that what Kiper is "hearing" about the Bills is actually coming from other teams. Your post is exactly why I don't think what he's hearing is coming straight from the Bills.

I've seen numerous times where various scouts talk about teams other than the one they're working for. It could also be sources connected through the league, but not working for any particular team.

While I believe that what Kiper says is true (that they'll pass on Clausen given a chance), I doubt that these rumblings are coming straight from Buffalo.

NOT THE DUDE...
04-08-2010, 09:34 AM
u cant believe anything this time of year before the draft, especially a team like buffalo who has so many needs...

JCBills
04-08-2010, 04:01 PM
u cant believe anything this time of year before the draft, especially a team like buffalo who has so many needs...

But yesterday you were holding such statements as true. "We don't like Clausen" was the statement I think, used in order to somehow justify to think Tebow is a top 10 pick.