PDA

View Full Version : Is Clausen a better prospect than Freeman?

BuffaloBlitz83
04-07-2010, 11:00 PM
TB's Freeman that came out last year. Is Clausen's potential higher? Arm strength, leadership, accuracy, the works. If you compared Clausen this year to Freeman last year... who gets drafted first?

Coach Sal
04-07-2010, 11:09 PM
I think Clausen is a lot more NFL ready right now than Freeman was when he was drafted, and is a better prospect overall.

The only reason Freeman was drafted as high as he was was because Rasheed Morris had a prior relationship with him at Kansas State. Otherwise, he probably would have been a 2nd rounder.

Mr. Pink
04-07-2010, 11:11 PM
A better comparison is Brady Quinn...

Brady Quinn had more "potential" and you see how that turned out.

Quinn was also the better QB in college.

NOT THE DUDE...
04-07-2010, 11:17 PM
look, i dont like clausen, but brady quinn was not better than jimmy clausen...

JCBills
04-07-2010, 11:24 PM
look, i dont like clausen, but brady quinn was not better than jimmy clausen...

Lol?

Quinn was an amazing college QB, he only lost 9 games over 3 years, 5 coming in the first, and beat a lot of good teams. He had a better defense and OL, but Quinn's college numbers are absurd. 37 TDs in one season in a pro style offense? 86 TDs in 3 seasons. Quinn looked like one of the most NFL ready QBs in a long time to a lot of people.

PECKERWOOD
04-07-2010, 11:54 PM

Why because they played for the same school? Brady Quinn is a fitness model, Jimmy Clausen is a football player and he has devoted his entire life to being a good football player, he carried Notre Dame last year.

more cowbell
04-08-2010, 12:25 AM
brady quinn is a clone of trent edwards. clausen has stones, throws the ball down the field and wants to win

NOT THE DUDE...
04-08-2010, 12:28 AM
brady quinn is a clone of trent edwards. clausen has stones, throws the ball down the field and wants to win

exactly!

kingJofNYC
04-08-2010, 12:57 AM
Someone should tweet Daniel Jeremiah about this, at least we'll get a general idea of what a scouts think.

tampabay25690
04-08-2010, 05:51 AM
I think Clausen is a lot more NFL ready right now than Freeman was when he was drafted, and is a better prospect overall.

The only reason Freeman was drafted as high as he was was because Rasheed Morris had a prior relationship with him at Kansas State. Otherwise, he probably would have been a 2nd rounder.

Everything Sal just said is 100% correct.
The Tampa fans are still very unsure about Freeman to be honest...

Forward_Lateral
04-08-2010, 07:34 AM
I don't get why everyone says Claussen has great leadership ability. Notre Dame was a huge disappointment the 2 years he started there, especially this past season.

DraftBoy
04-08-2010, 07:43 AM
Clausen is a better prospect just because he had more experience, and more polish. That being said Freeman has a higher ceiling.

Freeman never should of gone where he did.

TedMock
04-08-2010, 07:59 AM
Clausen is a better prospect just because he had more experience, and more polish. That being said Freeman has a higher ceiling.

Freeman never should of gone where he did.

Clausen is a better prospect compared to Freeman last year or right now?

2010 Clausen v 2009 Freeman - I agree 100% with you. Clausen is more ready, but Freeman has more potential.

2010 Clausen v 2010 Freeman - I take Freeman.

better days
04-08-2010, 08:01 AM

I agree also Sal. I will say Freeman has a very good arm & seems to have a good work ethic. He has been in Tampa working on his game since the season ended. We'll see how that translates on the field next season.

THATHURMANATOR
04-08-2010, 08:03 AM

Tom I don't think just because they both went the same school it is an exact comparison.

IMO Clausen blows Quinn out of the water in regards to talent.

ddaryl
04-08-2010, 08:09 AM
bypass all the QB's this year and start stock piling ammunition for jake Locker in 2011...

No QB in this draft is worth it IMO, Bradford has a shot but he has no chance of being there at #9 and I wouldn't trade up for him... Maybe a late round pick up for potential and grooming but no QB's in the 1st 3 rounds in this draft IMO...

THATHURMANATOR
04-08-2010, 08:12 AM
bypass all the QB's this year and start stock piling ammunition for jake Locker in 2011...

No QB in this draft is worth it IMO, Bradford has a shot but he has no chance of being there at #9 and I wouldn't trade up for him... Maybe a late round pick up for potential and grooming but no QB's in the 1st 3 rounds in this draft IMO...
See this is the thing I hate.

Read Ingtars analysis of Locker from this year. Horrendous. You are banking that he will completely change his game senior your and be NFL ready. Why? If he came out this year he wouldn't be higher rated than Clausen.

Coach Sal
04-08-2010, 08:25 AM
There are plenty of Clausen vs. Quinn reads on the Net. Here are a couple:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/284617-clausen-vs-quinn-which-notre-dame-qb-has-the-better-junior-season

http://www.blueworkhorse.com/articles/nfl/quinn-vs-clausen

THATHURMANATOR
04-08-2010, 08:31 AM
There are plenty of Clausen vs. Quinn reads on the Net. Here are a couple:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/284617-clausen-vs-quinn-which-notre-dame-qb-has-the-better-junior-season

http://www.blueworkhorse.com/articles/nfl/quinn-vs-clausen
Hilarious two completely different takes on the issue.

Ickybaluky
04-08-2010, 08:55 AM
Everything Sal just said is 100% correct.
The Tampa fans are still very unsure about Freeman to be honest...

I agree. Freeman had some good games, but he also had some dreadful ones.

At the end of the year, he was a 54% passer with 6.4 YPA and a 10-to-18 TD-to-Int ratio. I understand he flashed potential, but those are hardly the kinds of numbers that make you think he will be the next great QB. He has a long way to go before he is a viable NFL starting QB, and it isn't a sure thing he will get there.

Mr. Pink
04-08-2010, 09:20 AM
Tom I don't think just because they both went the same school it is an exact comparison.

IMO Clausen blows Quinn out of the water in regards to talent.

It's an exact comparison...

Same style offense.

Both had weapons in the passing game.

Neither had much of a running game.

Their O-lines were comparable.

SirMcGee
04-08-2010, 09:24 AM
I agree. Freeman had some good games, but he also had some dreadful ones.

At the end of the year, he was a 54% passer with 6.4 YPA and a 10-to-18 TD-to-Int ratio. I understand he flashed potential, but those are hardly the kinds of numbers that make you think he will be the next great QB. He has a long way to go before he is a viable NFL starting QB, and it isn't a sure thing he will get there.

Those numbers are just as good as Mark Sanchez's numbers...yet Sanchez gets praised. Why is that? Hmmm.

THATHURMANATOR
04-08-2010, 09:26 AM
It's an exact comparison...

Same style offense.

Both had weapons in the passing game.

Neither had much of a running game.

Their O-lines were comparable.
I am talking Talent Tom.

Both exceled in a big way stat wise. Clausen has better talent.

EDS
04-08-2010, 12:14 PM
I am talking Talent Tom.

Both exceled in a big way stat wise. Clausen has better talent.

In what way?

BuffaloBeliever
04-08-2010, 02:39 PM

I tend to agree. Freeman has all the physical tools in the world - a lazor arm, is extremely tough and can make all the throws, but he was - coming out of college - very raw. Clausen has all the tools as well; a strong arm, very accurate and can - suffice to say - make all the throws. The one thing he has going that Freeman didn't was experience. Jimmy Clausen is a much more experienced QB, who has been through a lot more adversity than the usual first round QB at that stage of his career. He's had to live up to huge expectations coming out of HS ranked the first player in the country and choosing Notre Dame over USC.
I think you need to add that to the positives when discussing Clausen, because mental toughness is one of the most important, yet least recognized, qualities a franchise QB must have.

To sum it all up, Clausen - to me - is a far better prospect than Freeman was last year.

BuffaloBlitz83
04-08-2010, 02:46 PM
What about compared to Sanchez and Stafford if they were all in same class coming out together this year. This is based on potential coming out of school, don't hold Jet agenda in it.

tampabay25690
04-08-2010, 04:46 PM
**** Freeman almost threw as many INT as TD's at K STATE.
The guy never even played in a BOWL GAME and he was drafted in the 1st round as a QB..