PDA

View Full Version : The only thing that will really piss me off in regards to our first round pick

THATHURMANATOR
04-08-2010, 08:06 AM
Would be if the top 4 Offensive tackles are already selected and we go and grab the 5th best guy.

I have documented my desire for the Bills to take Clausen but I will be fine with taking someone else as long as it makes sense. I don't want them reaching bigtime for a position that can just as easily be addressed in round 2.

ddaryl
04-08-2010, 08:13 AM
Yep and I really really wish the Bills would have decided to start and play their young players and rookies the last 1/3 of the season.

If we don't win at KC and Indy this draft looks a lot better.... but I guess you always play to win even when those wins once again proved to be completely useless and we once again failed ot give our younger core of players much needed extra and adequate playing time for them to prepare for this year.

Italian Stallion
04-08-2010, 08:15 AM
Would be if the top 4 Offensive tackles are already selected and we go and grab the 5th best guy.

I have documented my desire for the Bills to take Clausen but I will be fine with taking someone else as long as it makes sense. I don't want them reaching bigtime for a position that can just as easily be addressed in round 2.

Couldn't agree more..though I would say 3 prospects instead of 4. I think Anthony Davis is complete garbage and picking him that high will be a DISATSER..from his attitude, competition he faced and his age (youngest of all the o lineman) HE ISN'T READY TO START.

If Okung, Bulaga and Williams are all gone and we reach for Davis (or Campbell) because we need a tackle, I wll be royally PISSED.

Pick Clausen (if they like him), Spiller, Bryant, DWilliams hell even Ronaldo McClain or Derrick Morgan.

I want value and instant impact with the 9th overall pick...not the 4th or 5th best OT just because we need one.

THATHURMANATOR
04-08-2010, 08:15 AM
I am never for intentionally losing though.

THATHURMANATOR
04-08-2010, 08:19 AM
Couldn't agree more..though I would say 3 prospects instead of 4. I think Anthony Davis is complete garbage and picking him that high will be a DISATSER..from his attitude, competition he faced and his age (youngest of all the o lineman) HE ISN'T READY TO START.

If Okung, Bulaga and Williams are all gone and we reach for Davis (or Campbell) because we need a tackle, I wll be royally PISSED.

Pick Clausen (if they like him), Spiller, Bryant, DWilliams hell even Ronaldo McClain or Derrick Morgan.

I want value and instant impact with the 9th overall pick...not the 4th or 5th best OT just because we need one.
:bf1:

TigerJ
04-08-2010, 08:42 AM
So among Okung, Trent Williams, Bryan Bulaga, Anthony Davis, and Bruce Campbell, which one is the fifth best guy? Is it Anthony Davis who is lazy, immature and had a lousy combine, but might have the best upside in the draft among OTs, or Bruce Campbell who has herculean measurables, but is raw annd has lousy pass blocking technique? Or is it Bulaga, who is technically the soundest guy, but has short arms?

Don't Panic
04-08-2010, 08:47 AM

Good posting. I would take Morgan and McClain out though... I don't see them as fit based on what we need and already have.

I would be more than willing to see about 10 guys' name called at #9, but there are a few that I am hoping we're wise enough to pass on.

NOT THE DUDE...
04-08-2010, 09:29 AM
if all 4 ots are gone and cleveland passes on clausen i think clausen would have to be the pick, of course they could trade down and take clausen or tebow...

jamze132
04-08-2010, 11:13 AM
I agree, my biggest worry is OBD reaching for an OT out of desperation.

Of course we are all worried about us ****ing up the draft because of previous regimes, we need to be reminded that Nix built a consistent winner out in SD.

ddaryl
04-08-2010, 11:23 AM
I am never for intentionally losing though.

who ever said anything about intenitional. We blew a good chance to just play our up and coming players and give them experience. the end results might have been losses and much better draft status, but the beenfits of giving playing time to needed players in a season that was lost actually made sesnse, what the Bills did was stupid.... there was no reason to play to win, we should of played to gain experience to the palyers who might be here for the next regime

Buddo
04-08-2010, 11:30 AM
I agree, my biggest worry is OBD reaching for an OT out of desperation.

Of course we are all worried about us ****ing up the draft because of previous regimes, we need to be reminded that Nix built a consistent winner out in SD.

Although there are some signs (losing a fair bit of weight for his pro day), that Davis is at least making some efforts to maintain his draft status, I'd be concerned about drafting him. The only thing you can say, is that the kid does have talent, and could turn out to be very good, if his heart is in it.

I do think the point above is well made, in that I think that Nix will have in mind exactly what he will want to do with the #9 pick, under just about any circumstance. If all of the 'top four' tackles are gone, then I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him draft Dan Williams, as the NT for our 3-4. While some may feel it is a touch high for Williams, it would have the added benefit of ensuring that he doesn't drop into the 'Fins laps @ 14.
He could well also entertain dropping down some, to try and get an extra 2nd rounder (and maybe other picks also), depending on who wants to trade, as he might see an opportunity to still get Campbell a fair bit later in the 1st round.

TacklingDummy
04-08-2010, 11:32 AM

The problem is the 5th best rated linemen could turn out to be the best one.

Just like the 2nd rated QB could turn out to be the best one.

Last year the draft went...

2. Jason Smith OT Rams
6. Andre Smith OT Bengals
8. Eugene Monroe OT Jags
23. Michael Oher OT Ravens

How would they be picked today?

Buddo
04-08-2010, 11:35 AM
who ever said anything about intenitional. We blew a good chance to just play our up and coming players and give them experience. the end results might have been losses and much better draft status, but the beenfits of giving playing time to needed players in a season that was lost actually made sesnse, what the Bills did was stupid.... there was no reason to play to win, we should of played to gain experience to the palyers who might be here for the next regime

I actually agree with this quite a lot. There had to be opportunities for Hardy and Johnson, that severely went begging.
While much of Fewell's general approach was a breath of fresh air, his fixation on attempting to win games with a team that was pretty broken, didn't serve the Bills well in the long run.

Buddo
04-08-2010, 11:38 AM

2. Jason Smith OT Rams
8. Eugene Monroe OT Jags

Well, Oher would certainly warrant a higher pick, but much depends on who was playing where. Oher spent large amounts of time at RT. What about the others? Did they all play @ LT, as it then becomes increasingly difficult to start making any sort of genuine comparisons.

Buddo
04-08-2010, 11:42 AM

2. Jason Smith OT Rams
8. Eugene Monroe OT Jags

I'm not so sure that part of the point being made, isn't more in relation to getting a guy who will be capable of starting. Campbell, for example, as possibly the 5th best tackle, may well not be polished enough for this year, although, as you are pointing out, could become better than the rest in time.

ddaryl
04-08-2010, 12:51 PM
I actually agree with this quite a lot. There had to be opportunities for Hardy and Johnson, that severely went begging.
While much of Fewell's general approach was a breath of fresh air, his fixation on attempting to win games with a team that was pretty broken, didn't serve the Bills well in the long run.

Nice summary,and that is pretty much what I was trying to say, but you said it better

jamze132
04-08-2010, 01:22 PM

2. Jason Smith OT Rams
8. Eugene Monroe OT Jags

That is a valid point.

Captain Obvious
04-08-2010, 01:25 PM
So Thurmie would be happy if the Bills FO picked Eric Bery or Joe Haden.. Or Jermaine Gresham.. Or Tim Tebow

BuffaloBlitz83
04-08-2010, 02:29 PM
Okung
Balaga
Anthony Davis
Trent Williams
Campbell

In that order.

Buffalogic
04-08-2010, 02:30 PM
Who needs a top 10 tackle? Not this guy! Gimme a couple late round big whiteys and I'm fine with that. I want my top 10 pick to touch the football.

ddaryl
04-08-2010, 03:29 PM
Who needs a top 10 tackle? Not this guy! Gimme a couple late round big whiteys and I'm fine with that. I want my top 10 pick to touch the football.

LOL!

SO your willing to reach for a player who is not worthy of the #9 overall pick just because this person would touch the football often...

That same person will be fumbling the football and turning it over via INT's while he gets murdered because the guys who don't touch the football can't protect his ass..

really warped thought process IMO

reaching to grab a QB out of desperation will only set us back 3 more years. Build the trenches 1st, that is where the game is won and lost

Buffalogic
04-08-2010, 04:11 PM
LOL!

SO your willing to reach for a player who is not worthy of the #9 overall pick just because this person would touch the football often...

That same person will be fumbling the football and turning it over via INT's while he gets murdered because the guys who don't touch the football can't protect his ass..

really warped thought process IMO

reaching to grab a QB out of desperation will only set us back 3 more years. Build the trenches 1st, that is where the game is won and lost
LOL!

I don't know how you took 'I want my top 10 pick to touch the football' and then changed it into 'I will reach for a quarterback'.

I've started a few threads about how much I would HATE a qb at 9. So, yeah.

Mr. Pink
04-08-2010, 04:31 PM
LOL!

I don't know how you took 'I want my top 10 pick to touch the football' and then changed it into 'I will reach for a quarterback'.

I've started a few threads about how much I would HATE a qb at 9. So, yeah.

It looks like you'd rather draft Dez Bryant than the 3rd or 4th best tackle in the draft?

If so, I agree.

JCBills
04-08-2010, 04:37 PM
I really just don't want anyone after Okung if we're spending #9 on an OT, and that's not going happen. 4 of the first 9 picks being OTs doesn't sit well with me. 2 of 4 will pan out, yeah we have a need there, but I just don't think the 3 after Okung are anything special, we'll probably end up taking one there though and it has me bummed lol.

Buffalogic
04-08-2010, 05:06 PM
It looks like you'd rather draft Dez Bryant than the 3rd or 4th best tackle in the draft?

If so, I agree.You bet. Gimme a playmaker at 9. There's plenty enough draft left after that to get O-line.