PDA

View Full Version : "It's insane how simple Jimmy Clausen makes the perfect throw look"

BillsWin
04-08-2010, 08:31 PM
The article praises Clausen's mechanics and work ethic when it comes to perfecting that technique. Still not 100% sold on Clausen. But as I have said before, I trust in Buddy Nix and don't think his picks will have anything to do with anything other than football. That's all I can ask for right now. Nix is going to pick the player he feels fits this team the most. If that is Jimmy Clausen, then so be it. I want the head coach and GM to see eye-to-eye. If they both want Clausen, then I am excited to cheer him on and I pray we got it right this time.

:cheers:

"Jimmy is the most natural kid I have ever seen throwing the football," says quarterbacks guru Steve Clarkson, who has mentored, among others, Ben Roethlisberger and Matt Leinart. This is not to say that scouts are united in their love for Clausen. Some think his arm strength is just okay. His toe injury, while expected to heal in time for camp, hints at durability issues. His footwork could be better. Yet there's no doubt that his sublime mechanics give him an important edge over his peers. That's because in a league dominated by both the pass and defensive speed, the difference between a completion and a pick -- between winning and losing, playoffs and layoffs -- often comes down to the efficiency and precision of a QB's throwing motion. "You might be talking about just a 10th of a second's difference in someone's motion," says Air Force coach Troy Calhoun, a former NFL QB coach. "But that's enough time for a cornerback to move another three or four feet and blow up a play. In the NFL, that's everything."
No wonder Clausen is a quarterback obsessed.

MORE (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft10/news/story?id=5064085)

Nighthawk
04-08-2010, 08:40 PM
I'm not a Clausen backer, but I'm also not against drafting him if we get the chance. The kid is very talented and is the most NFL ready QB in this draft.

mrbojanglezs
04-08-2010, 08:44 PM
bradford>clausen>>mccoy>>>>>tebow

T-Long
04-08-2010, 08:50 PM
The article praises Clausen's mechanics and work ethic when it comes to perfecting that technique. Still not 100% sold on Clausen. But as I have said before, I trust in Buddy Nix and don't think his picks will have anything to do with anything other than football. That's all I can ask for right now. Nix is going to pick the player he feels fits this team the most. If that is Jimmy Clausen, then so be it. I want the head coach and GM to see eye-to-eye. If they both want Clausen, then I am excited to cheer him on and I pray we got it right this time.

:cheers:

MORE (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft10/news/story?id=5064085)

Just read that in ESPN the Mag. If the top 3 tackles are gone, he's gotta be the pick.

Nighthawk
04-08-2010, 08:54 PM
Just read that in ESPN the Mag. If the top 3 tackles are gone, he's gotta be the pick.

Yeah, but all the experts on here say he is no good...has a huge bust potential and will never get any better? :laughing:

Ebenezer
04-08-2010, 08:56 PM
Tebow will be the pick.

X-Era
04-08-2010, 08:59 PM
Yeah, but all the experts on here say he is no good...has a huge bust potential and will never get any better? :laughing:
Huhh?

I don't remember saying that. Ohh, you said "expert". :up:

I simply think hes a bit unpolished still. He can play inconsistent and make dumb throws... ya know what, so do almost all of these prospects. All of them need to continue to get coaching and experience.

What I like is what he did in the 4th quarter in many games.

Nighthawk
04-08-2010, 09:00 PM
Huhh?

I don't remember saying that. Ohh, you said "expert". :up:

I simply think hes a bit unpolished still. He can play inconsistent and make dumb throws... ya know what, so do almost all of these prospects. All of them need to continue to get coaching and experience.

What I like is what he did in the 4th quarter in many games.

That wasn't directed at you...

X-Era
04-08-2010, 09:03 PM
That wasn't directed at you...
I know, you said expert.

J/K man.

Hes has the 2nd best chance to be a franchise QB in this draft... hes rated the 2nd best QB, to me and many others, for a reason.

Its interesting that he has done nothing since the Combine but is now being rumored to drop into the 20's, where he was, a few weeks ago, talked about at positions like 4 and going before we pick at 9.

Now hes a reach at 9? Based on what?

Nighthawk
04-08-2010, 09:07 PM
I know, you said expert.

J/K man.

Hes has the 2nd best chance to be a franchise QB in this draft... hes rated the 2nd best QB, to me and many others, for a reason.

Its interesting that he has done nothing since the Combine but is now being rumored to drop into the 20's, where he was, a few weeks ago, talked about at positions like 4 and going before we pick at 9.

Now hes a reach at 9? Based on what?

I know, the over analysis that the draft brings is comical. Can the guy play football? Yes. Can he make all the throws? Yes. Is he accurate? Yes. Can he read defenses? Yes

Enough said...if the Bills picked him, I wouldn't cry...they're the people paid to make those decisions and they're in the NFL for a reason. Now, they haven't gotten' too much right lately, but this is a entirely new crew making the choices, so I have to give them the benefit of the doubt this year.

mrbojanglezs
04-08-2010, 09:14 PM
if clausen is there at 9 and the top 3 OTs are off the board.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaYgGSHJ5hM

BillsWin
04-08-2010, 09:15 PM
I know, the over analysis that the draft brings is comical. Can the guy play football? Yes. Can he make all the throws? Yes. Is he accurate? Yes. Can he read defenses? Yes

Enough said...if the Bills picked him, I wouldn't cry...they're the people paid to make those decisions and they're in the NFL for a reason. Now, they haven't gotten' too much right lately, but this is a entirely new crew making the choices, so I have to give them the benefit of the doubt this year.

We, as fans, don't have any say either. Some people forget that. They go ballistic before the draft, tearing prospects apart (a lot of times they have no idea what they are talking about), and in the end, we have to deal with whoever they pick.

I'm not talking about this board really, generally, the pre-draft talk here is somewhat educated, but take a look elsewhere and on other boards. BBMB is a great example. However, it is common knowledge that 90% of those tools are complete and utter morons. Or just kids who don't know any better.

As I have said though, I like Buddy Nix. He reminds me of an old coach I had in high school. He takes no nonsense, says what's on his mind and means it. On top of it all, Buddy KNOWS FOOTBALL. So if he chooses Clausen, I will be looking forward to seeing how it turns out. Saffold in the second would ease my worries a bit. ;)

X-Era
04-08-2010, 09:16 PM

He reminds me of Matt Ryan. However, I wonder if hes got an attitude or an approach that may hinder what he could be.

To me, there is a difference between showing up every day wanting to be the best, and showing up every day thinking your the best.

I don't truly know what his mental makeup is. I don't know if he is a guy with a questionable approach or attitude. But, it makes me a bit uncomfortable to be even thinking about that.

I think this team will still go through lots of rough patches. I think we need a mentally rugged guy to handle it, and get better from it instead of letting it destroy them. Its a concern for me on him to be honest.

Thats one big reason that I wouldn't mind Tebow IF the Bills are convinced he can throw in the NFL. But only if that's the case, if not its a wasted pick IMO.

X-Era
04-08-2010, 09:17 PM
Saffold in the second would ease my worries a bit. ;)

Or Jason Fox in the 3rd.

Mr. Pink
04-08-2010, 11:27 PM

Meanwhile in your sarcastic "experts" comment, many of us have been right year after year about many of these prospects being busts and not worth taking.

Just because we don't get paid doesn't mean we're automatically wrong with assessments.

Hell a few people on this board would have put together a better roster than the Bills front office has done over the past 3 years.

DraftBoy
04-08-2010, 11:36 PM

Ryan Leif could do all the things as well, along with plenty of other busts. If that's all it took to be a QB in the NFL then this league would be a hell of a lot easier.

PECKERWOOD
04-08-2010, 11:43 PM
Clausen>Bradford=Tebow>McCoy

Griff
04-09-2010, 01:37 AM
If release speed is all Nix cares about then we'll stick with Edwards, Trent beat a quick draw gun fighter in reaction time.

SaviorEdwards
04-09-2010, 04:11 AM
If release speed is all Nix cares about then we'll stick with Edwards, Trent beat a quick draw gun fighter in reaction time.

LOL that ship has sailed, just wave bye bye

ddaryl
04-09-2010, 06:10 AM
Hell MOST people on this board would have put together a better roster than the Bills front office has done over the past 3 years.

there that sums it up more accurately

personally I think there are better fish in the sea for QB and we should not invest heavily in the table scraps that will be available this year

Mahdi
04-09-2010, 07:43 AM
Ryan Leif could do all the things as well, along with plenty of other busts. If that's all it took to be a QB in the NFL then this league would be a hell of a lot easier.
Ryan Leaf was a bust because he didn't have the attitude or work ethic to perform at the NFL level.

I don't think Clausen has that problem. He has been coached by an NFL coach for 3 or 4 years, he comes out of a football family and he seems very passionate about football.

There are many QBs I would be happy with at various parts of the draft.

1st Round: Bradford/Clausen

2nd Round: McCoy/Tebow

3rd Round: Snead/Robinson/Lefevour

4th Round: Skelton/Canfield/Crompton

DraftBoy
04-09-2010, 07:45 AM
Ryan Leaf was a bust because he didn't have the attitude or work ethic to perform at the NFL level.

I don't think Clausen has that problem. He has been coached by an NFL coach for 3 or 4 years, he comes out of a football family and he seems very passionate about football.

I dont disagree and Im well aware as to why Leif busted which was my point. Nighthawk seems to think that knowing if a player will make it or not is as simple as doing those four things. When in fact most players who get drafted can do the basic things needed to play the position, which is essentially what he listed.

psubills62
04-09-2010, 08:26 AM
Meanwhile in your sarcastic "experts" comment, many of us have been right year after year about many of these prospects being busts and not worth taking.

Just because we don't get paid doesn't mean we're automatically wrong with assessments.

Hell a few people on this board would have put together a better roster than the Bills front office has done over the past 3 years.
With this kind of a response, you brought this on yourself:

http://billszone.com/fanzone/showpost.php?p=1944703&postcount=8

Re: who is going to be a bust from this year's draft?

Patrick Willis.

There's no way he can live up to the hype this board alone has given him, let alone the national hype. I swear, from what I read, he's going to be the next Dick Butkus-Mike Singletary-Chris Spielman all rolled into one.
From this thread, post #8:

http://billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?p=1944703#post1944703

The King
04-09-2010, 08:27 AM
Yeah, but all the experts on here say he is no good...has a huge bust potential and will never get any better? :laughing:I just think he's a douche.

Ingtar33
04-09-2010, 11:57 AM

no one can predict that.

I do think he has an astronomically high bust potential, but with a good work ethic and strong desire to be the best he can overcome his shortcomings.

Ingtar33
04-09-2010, 12:00 PM

Lefevour and Snead won't make it to round 3. if you want them you'll need to take them in round 2. (Snead might last to round 3... but his physique and technique are both the types of things that make scouts drool. I've never been impressed with his head... but watching him throw the ball is a thing of beauty. He'll go in round two on potential alone).

Tebow you can probably get in round 3... possibly in round 4. I would be mad if the bills wasted a 2nd round pick on him.

JCBills
04-09-2010, 12:03 PM
Tebow will be the pick.

Naw.

Nighthawk
04-09-2010, 12:40 PM
Ha, ha...it's pretty funny how offended some on this board get when their opinion is questioned. Folks, none of us know how these kids will turn out...and I mean NONE of us. I just feel it is kind of crazy for some to come on here and repeatedly post how they know that the kid will be a bust. It's fairly comical. The draft is an inexact science, let's not try to make it any more then that. Yes, you have to do research on these guys, but the micro analysis on some of the players is pretty funny. Everybody has an opinion and that's cool, but geesh, the hatred for some players is unbelievable.

k-oneputt
04-09-2010, 01:44 PM
Looks like "qb backtrack Friday" today.

k-oneputt
04-09-2010, 02:01 PM
Add Mayock to the backtrack list per PFT.

Mahdi
04-09-2010, 02:04 PM
Lefevour and Snead won't make it to round 3. if you want them you'll need to take them in round 2. (Snead might last to round 3... but his physique and technique are both the types of things that make scouts drool. I've never been impressed with his head... but watching him throw the ball is a thing of beauty. He'll go in round two on potential alone).

Tebow you can probably get in round 3... possibly in round 4. I would be mad if the bills wasted a 2nd round pick on him.
Even if you don't like Tebow, and even if you value him as a 3rd or 4th round Qb. Everyone knows he won't last passed the 2nd round.

Mahdi
04-09-2010, 02:07 PM
Looks like "qb backtrack Friday" today.
Many people tried to say that Clausen was not good for this reason or that based on nothing. Clausen's play speaks for itself and has since the college season ended.

He is a smart QB with strong mechanics and great accuracy. Definitely a top 10 talent and has been from day one.

k-oneputt
04-09-2010, 02:11 PM
I know that, you know that, but many of our resident experts don't seem to agree . Mayock is coming around though. There is no way he is falling out of rd. 1 though as suggested by some.

Griff
04-10-2010, 02:53 AM
LOL that ship has sailed, just wave bye bye

and yet he's still on the team.

SABURZFAN
04-10-2010, 11:49 AM

that mancrush is burning brighter than ever.

YardRat
04-10-2010, 02:34 PM
Clausen has puny hands...bust.

Slim
04-10-2010, 03:02 PM
Clausen has puny hands...bust.

Never effected him at ND.