PDA

View Full Version : 1st round theory

evdawg419
04-08-2010, 09:12 PM
All I keep hearing is that the Bills aren't interested in Claussen at nine and frankly I'm glad.

Here is what I think the best scenario is:

1. If Okung, Trent Williams, or Bulaga are available at 9, the Bills will run to the podium with their pick.
2. If all 3 are gone, they will trade back with the Giants so they can take McClain, and we pick up an extra 3rd and later round pick in the process.
3. The bills will then pick Dan Williams or the best available OLB at 15.

Let's face it, this team has needs all over the field and we can use as many picks as possible. In my opinion, our offensive line is the most glaring need, and we can't afford to ignore it if there is a day 1 starter at number 9, but Buddy Nix isn't going to reach for the 4th best tackle. If Nix doesn't feel a starting caliber LT is there at 9, we could definitely benefit from accumulating picks by trading back.

CoolBreeze
04-08-2010, 10:39 PM
I could be totally wrong on the value. But if the Giants want the number nine pick, besides getting their first would it be reasonable to recieve their second instead of their third?

DraftBoy
04-08-2010, 10:47 PM
I could be totally wrong on the value. But if the Giants want the number nine pick, besides getting their first would it be reasonable to recieve their second instead of their third?

#9 (1350)

for

#15 (1050)

So you have a 300 point deficit. There 2nd Round pick is 46 which is worth 440 points so you probably won't get that. Their 3rd Round pick is 76 and worth 210, so you take a 3rd and probably a late round pick (6th or 7th) or maybe one next year and call it a day.

Mock trade with Giants;

#9 (1350)

for

#15 (1050), #76 (210), and 221 (4)

Net Value for Bills: -86

bills4ver
04-08-2010, 10:47 PM
I would have to agree, if they move up from 15 to 9 they would have to give up there 2nd round pick.

I also don't like the idea, because Dan Williams will get picked at 14 by the Dolphins. We might shoot ourselves in the foot by moving behind miami.

SquishDaFish
04-09-2010, 04:43 AM
Best thing to do is believe everything you hear now LOL

Night Train
04-09-2010, 05:26 AM
All I keep hearing is that the Bills aren't interested in Claussen at nine and frankly I'm glad.

Here is what I think the best scenario is:

1. If Okung, Trent Williams, or Bulaga are available at 9, the Bills will run to the podium with their pick.
2. If all 3 are gone, they will trade back with the Giants so they can take McClain, and we pick up an extra 3rd and later round pick in the process.
3. The bills will then pick Dan Williams or the best available OLB at 15.

Let's face it, this team has needs all over the field and we can use as many picks as possible. In my opinion, our offensive line is the most glaring need, and we can't afford to ignore it if there is a day 1 starter at number 9, but Buddy Nix isn't going to reach for the 4th best tackle. If Nix doesn't feel a starting caliber LT is there at 9, we could definitely benefit from accumulating picks by trading back.

Not bad thinking at all. Good post.

Don't Panic
04-09-2010, 05:59 AM
Not bad thinking at all. Good post.

Second that... I'm not sure if they could pull off the trade down, but I'd be willing to do it if the big 3 OTs are gone, and I think this is in line with OBD's thinking as well. OT, NT and OLB are the only positions we should even be considering with our first two picks. Until we fix those spots, everything else is a luxury... including QB.

YardRat
04-09-2010, 06:09 AM
Gailey as much as said on the radio yesterday morning that the team wasn't going to reach and over-value a need higher than a BPA. Of course, none of us know what their board looks like and who their BPA's might be.

Bill Cody
04-09-2010, 08:47 AM
If you look at recent drafts the draft value chart is no longer valid

Mahdi
04-09-2010, 09:44 AM
I want the BPA at nine no matter what position. Sick of seeing guys become All-Stars for the other teams while we are stuck with the 4th best player at his position from that same draft, a mediocre starter at best.

If Eric Berry is there at 9 as well as Anthony Davis, give me Berry. I'll take a future PBer any day over a player with multiple questions over his game.

The players I take in order for the Bills.

Bradford
Suh
McCoy
Okung
Bryant
Spiller
Berry
Clausen
T. Williams
B. Graham
Bulaga

That's 11 players, which means 2 are guaranteed to be there for the Bills. Anything outside those 11 players would be a HUGE disappointment.

And for those who like Dan Williams at 9, that would be a disappointment in my book as well. You never take a DT with no pass rush ability in the top 10.

One dimensional DTs can be found anywhere in the draft. Linval Joseph can be every bit as good as Dan Williams without spending a top 10 pick. Same with Cam Thomas, Torrel Troup and Terrance Cody.

Ed
04-09-2010, 10:55 AM
Maybe, it all depends how desperate a team is to move up. I don't think there's any exact science to the draft point charts as some teams may value certain picks more then others depending on who they like and who's available and what not. I don't think there's a set chart that all 32 teams follow.

I know back in 2001 we traded our #14 pick to Tampa for their #21 pick and their 2nd round pick, so who knows.