PDA

View Full Version : Moving Around in the Draft

Mike
04-09-2010, 02:57 PM
Looking at the Draft, many of us feel that if the player that we want is not there, we should trade down; however, there is a Very Strong sentiment here that "Trading down is not that easy" because you need a partner, etc....

If trading down is difficult for the Bills then it should be as difficult for other teams. So all NFL Teams should have an equally difficult time trading down:

Looks LIke this:
1) Trading up/Down is Difficult for NFL Teams
2) Bills are an NFL Team
Conclusion: Trading down will be difficult for the Bills or any other NFL Team

However Teams Like NE have an easy time trading up or down, evident by the number of times that they moved up/down in the last years draft and other years.

If it was so Difficult, trading down once may have been an anomaly, but they traded down 3x in the same round!!!.... So, for NE moving around in the Draft has shown to be easy.

Looks like this:
1) NE has traded up and down in recent drafts with ease
2) NE is an NFL team
Conclusion: Some NFL Teams can trade up/down with ease

So Do you think its an NFL thing where trading up/down is very difficult or a Team thing where some teams are better an negotiating and moving up/down in the draft?

FYI: Some things truly are difficult to do in the NFL like Trading Star Players for Star Players -you see it more often in the NBA, NHL- and this difficulty is there for all Teams... so its rare Where as swapping picks, trading picks, happens just about every year.

Ed
04-09-2010, 03:07 PM
I think trading down or moving around in the draft is easier later on as opposed to the top 10 picks. Finding a team that wants to trade up into the top 10 is more difficult because it's costly in terms of picks and requires a huge/risky financial investment.

Bill Cody
04-09-2010, 03:11 PM
This reminds me of my class in Logic.

God is love.
Love is blind.
Stevie Wonder is blind.
Stevie Wonder is God.

Ickybaluky
04-09-2010, 03:14 PM
Top picks are harder to trade down with in recent years because the money is so much.

Also, I think in general this year may be a little harder to trade down because there is some real depth at some positions. With good players available deeper than in some recent drafts, a team is more likley to wait and still get a comparable player.

That said, I think picks at the top of the 2nd round are probably a little more valuable than in past years. With the first round taking place a day before the second, teams have a chance to re-order their boards and analyze, and there might be players they really want to target.

Thus, I think the Bills' #9 might be a little harder to trade down with, because there will be comparable players available later in the draft.

However, the Bills # 41 pick might be a more coveted pick, because teams will have specific guys in mind to target on Day 2.

PECKERWOOD
04-09-2010, 03:21 PM
Take Clausen with 9th and trade back into the 1st for Anthony Davis, now that would be an A+ draft.

JCBills
04-10-2010, 12:47 AM
Take Clausen with 9th and trade back into the 1st for Anthony Davis, now that would be an A+ draft.
Davis had to be forced to go to his own pro day. Watch a few Rutgers games, see him get beat to the inside way too easily. Not a guy I'd want to see in a Bills uniform.

SABURZFAN
04-10-2010, 05:30 AM
Take Clausen with 9th and trade back into the 1st for Anthony Davis, now that would be an A+ disaster.

fixed

YardRat
04-10-2010, 05:46 AM
Yeah, it's easier to move down in the later part of the first round because there's always some dumb-ass that's willing to hop back up before the second to grab a JP Losman or McCargo.

Night Train
04-10-2010, 07:07 AM
Why do some people believe that an offer from another team to trade up to #9 is a given ?

Buddo
04-10-2010, 07:55 AM
One of the more 'obvious' aspects of trading up or down, is the disparity in value of the top ten picks. Just moving up a few spots into the top 10, is prohibitively expensive when values are considered. Those values start closing up a lot, as soon as you get through that first 10-12 picks, making it easier to do a deal, without one side or the other being seen as getting 'gashed'.
It's also true to say, that the actual cost of signing the top 10 picks, is pretty excessive, and you have to know that the guy you are targeting, is a stone cold certainty to start.
You also have to consider what different teams needs are also. Sometimes you have a team in a bit of a spot, where the next two or three players rated, don't actually tie in with their needs, in effect making them either reach, or look to trade down, to get better value.
There are a heck of a lot of contributory factors tbh, and one reason why it isn't so easy to do as people think, is because most of those factors need to align, for the trades to happen.

jamze132
04-10-2010, 08:10 AM
If Jacksonville could, they would sell picks for seat fillers.