PDA

View Full Version : Mike Mayock's Assessment of Clausen's Pro Day

Midwesternbillsfan
04-10-2010, 02:43 PM
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-draft/09000d5d8176e5ae/Mayock-s-Clausen-evaluation

BillsWin
04-10-2010, 02:49 PM
Do you mind paraphrasing what he said for me? I'm having trouble loading the video.

Midwesternbillsfan
04-10-2010, 02:52 PM
I have unabashedly been on the Clausen bandwagon for awhile now, and Mayock's expert opinion definitely augments it. IMO, Clausen is the best QB prospect in this draft whose talent projects best to the demands of the position of QB in the NFL in the year 2009. He is no game-manager; he can singularly win games. He is not merely a gun-slinger; he can make every throw that is typical of any gun-slinger but he possesses great accuracy (and an underrated element of that: touch) on all of his throws and he very rarely makes errant passes; he had a 28:4 TD/INT ratio in '09, and three of his four interceptions came off of tipped passes and those four INT'S came out of 425 total throws (that's obviously a remarkably low interception percentage; that's also a reflection of Clausen's top-notch decision-making skills).

Clausen also is incredibly mechanically-sound and polished, he is clearly well-versed in a pro-style offense, his ability to read and dissect a defense is very precocious and advanced, especially relative to his counterparts in this Draft (in part because he comes from a pro-style offense), and he the invaluable "coachability" element- he is tractable because he's willing to be coached. His steep improvement in his three seasons at Notre Dame is evidence of that. Gailey, I'm sure, appreciates that quality of Clausen. And I hope he's there and that he's ours at #9.

Novacane
04-10-2010, 02:56 PM
I can't wait till I don't have to read another Clausen thread!

Slim
04-10-2010, 02:58 PM

Good assessment.

Midwesternbillsfan
04-10-2010, 02:59 PM
Do you mind paraphrasing what he said for me? I'm having trouble loading the video.

Sorry if the video can't load- I'll check the link. There's also an accompanying blog that Mayock wrote about Clausen, too, which mostly sums up what he says in the video. The video is more effusive in his praise (talks about Clausen's "live arm" that has a lot of "zip" and about his "phenomenal accuracy"). But the blog talks about other issues that Mayock discusses in the video.

SOUTH BEND, Ind — At Jimmy Clausen (http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/jimmy-clausen?id=497108)’s workout on Friday, I saw pretty much what I expected to see.

I’ve probably seen about 10 of his games on tape, and I felt like I knew what the kid was. What he didn’t do on tape during the season is that he didn’t transfer his weight from the right side of his body to his left side, and that was readily apparent on tape.

I saw the weight transfer today, and I asked him later on if it was because of the toe injury. He said, “Absolutely, Mike. I couldn’t push off the right side and I got into some bad habits during the season.”

I enjoyed meeting the kid and talking with him. I’ve said all along, that from a physical skill-set perspective, he’s a top-10 pick. But you have to buy into the kid; you either like the kid, or you don’t like the kid. In my first prolonged opportunity to sit down with him, I think he’s into football, I think he has a passion for the game. Now you have to figure out what his work ethic is and how much he loves the game.

The questions I have: Is he a leader of men, or, over a period of time, is he going to wear on people? Or is he going to take a step up to the next level and lead somebody to a Super Bowl? Therein lies the whole thing. I buy into the skill set. Now you have to buy into the kid.

Slim
04-10-2010, 03:00 PM
Sorry if the video can't load- I'll check the link. There's also an accompanying blog that Mayock wrote about Clausen, too, which mostly sums up what he says in the video...

SOUTH BEND, Ind — At Jimmy Clausen (http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/jimmy-clausen?id=497108)’s workout on Friday, I saw pretty much what I expected to see.

I’ve probably seen about 10 of his games on tape, and I felt like I knew what the kid was. What he didn’t do on tape during the season is that he didn’t transfer his weight from the right side of his body to his left side, and that was readily apparent on tape.

I saw the weight transfer today, and I asked him later on if it was because of the toe injury. He said, “Absolutely, Mike. I couldn’t push off the right side and I got into some bad habits during the season.”

I enjoyed meeting the kid and talking with him. I’ve said all along, that from a physical skill-set perspective, he’s a top-10 pick. But you have to buy into the kid; you either like the kid, or you don’t like the kid. In my first prolonged opportunity to sit down with him, I think he’s into football, I think he has a passion for the game. Now you have to figure out what his work ethic is and how much he loves the game.

The questions I have: Is he a leader of men, or, over a period of time, is he going to wear on people? Or is he going to take a step up to the next level and lead somebody to a Super Bowl? Therein lies the whole thing. I buy into the skill set. Now you have to buy into the kid.

Video worked great for me.

Midwesternbillsfan
04-10-2010, 03:03 PM

I guess I'm confused and unsure why you have to read this one- it's your perogative to read or ignore any thread that you'd like, I'd think.

Midwesternbillsfan
04-10-2010, 03:05 PM
Video worked great for me.

Did it? Great, thanks for the reassurance.

ddaryl
04-10-2010, 03:27 PM
I'm an advocate for draftring big time on the OL/DL and LB's this draft and making the huge big splash move for a QB in 2011

but I would not be upset if we drafted Clausen at #9.

but the decision might be made for us anyways.... Clausen stock is climbing after his workout

Don't Panic
04-10-2010, 07:07 PM

And what happens if we draft him....

bigbub2352
04-10-2010, 10:38 PM
i want claussen all day if he is there at 9

PECKERWOOD
04-10-2010, 10:45 PM
i want claussen all day if he is there at 9

Damn right.

THE END OF ALL DAYS
04-11-2010, 07:30 AM
for every Clausen is great article there is an equal and opposite Clausen is awful article.
Physics 101

plundar
04-11-2010, 08:01 PM
If Mike likes him I'm in. The guy is a great evaluator. He kicks Mel Kiper's ass.

ghz in pittsburgh
04-12-2010, 12:30 PM
I hate these workout sessions. I agree with Nix in that the body of work should be what is the deciding factor.

I was at the game when Pitt played ND. Claussen was ND's offense. I'm no scouts so I cannot compare him to other QBs that played nor project him to NFL level. I just want to point out that I don't object picking him at 9.

I would, however, object to play him right away if the Bills take him. Unless you are Peyton Manning, almost all QBs benefitted by learning from the bench for a year. In Bills case, it can also mean getting killed literally on the field.

WeAreArthurMoates
04-12-2010, 12:32 PM
for every Clausen is great article there is an equal and opposite Clausen is awful article.
Physics 101

Actually there isn't.

The King
04-12-2010, 12:48 PM
The questions I have: Is he a leader of men, or, over a period of time, is he going to wear on people? Or is he going to take a step up to the next level and lead somebody to a Super Bowl? Therein lies the whole thing. I buy into the skill set. Now you have to buy into the kid. That's the issue.