• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DraftBoy
    Administrator
    • Jul 2002

Wes Bunting doesnt think Jimmy Clausen is a fit in Buffalo

On a side note, I did notice Clausen’s consistent attempts to get a proper grip on the football before nearly every throw. This may seem like a minor detail, but when I went back and looked up his measurements, Clausen’s hands were only nine inches, tied for the smallest at the NFL Combine. Being able to grip and spin the ball in cold and harsh elements is key for any quarterback at the next level, and Clausen’s hand size is a bit of a concern for me at this stage, especially when evaluating him from a cold-weather standpoint, e.g., Buffalo.
    COMING SOON...
    Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
    We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!
  • SirMcGee
    • Feb 2010

Re: Wes Bunting doesnt think Jimmy Clausen is a fit in Buffalo

You know what they say about small hands in cold weather...
    Last edited by SirMcGee; 04-10-2010, 08:34 PM.
    DRAFT WISHLIST
    1) BRYAN BULAGA - OT/IOWA
    2) JONATHON DWYER - RB/GA TECH
    3) JASON WORILDS - OLB/ VA. TECH
    4) TORRELL TROUP - NT/CENTRAL FLORIDA

Comment

• jpdex12
      • Jan 2005

GOOD GOD, NOW WE ARE PICKING ON HAND SIZE? GET REAL.
      Where else would you rather be than right here right now?

Comment

• psubills62
        Legendary Zoner
        • Sep 2008

Maybe we should check to see if the Burger King double cheeseburger makes his hands look small?

I don't think this is going to make or break a kid, but it's another of a thousand factors to look at when drafting.
        "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
        - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• PECKERWOOD
          Defies all logic
          • Oct 2006

Last I checked, Bunting is a dunce because South Bend gets just as chilly as Buffalo, if not even colder.

Comment

• Mr. Pink
            Peterman Sucks!
            • Mar 2006

Small hand size is a huge concern for a QB.

Whether or not you want to admit to it or not.

Ball Security when getting hit is another issue with a QB that has small hands.

Comment

• Michael82
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by jpdex12
              GOOD GOD, NOW WE ARE PICKING ON HAND SIZE? GET REAL.
              agreed! This is definitely the time of the year where I want the draft to hurry up and get here. All this waiting is killing me, plus we are at the point where now everything that is said is pure smokescreens and a bunch of people over analyzing things!

Comment

• Ickybaluky
                • Jul 2003

That was always the knock on Duante Culpepper as well. They always blamed his fumbling problems on his small hands.

Comment

• OpIv37
                  Acid Douching Asswipe
                  • Sep 2002

according to this link, hand size is measured from tip of the pinky to tip of the thumb, with fingers outstretched.

I think about 9 and a half inches from base of the palm to the tip of the middle finger. A very small size for them is 8 and a half inches like alex smith. Brett Favre though has huge hands at 10 5/8 inches. The measurement is not from palm base to tip of middle finger. It is a hand span, from the tip of the pinky to the tip of a thumb on an outstretched hand.

after reading this thread, I decided to measure my hands- just over 10" by the above measurement, and I'm only 5'10". Granted, I've always had disproportionately large hands and feet for my size, but Clausen is listed at 6'3". If his hands are only 8", he's basically that guy with the small hands on the Burger King commercial. That is ridiculously small for a guy his size.

Does that affect his play, particularly in cold weather? I don't know. But South Bend, Indiana, isn't exactly Southern California or Arizona, and he put up damn good numbers in college.

Either way, I'm still against drafting Clausen for numerous reasons that I've already stated. But given his past performance in less-than-ideal weather, I really don't think this should be the deciding issue..
                  MiKiDo Facebook
                  MiKiDo Website

Comment

• SirMcGee
                    • Feb 2010

Hand size is important for a QB. Not only for ball security, but also QB's with bigger hands have an easier time throwing the ball.
                    DRAFT WISHLIST
                    1) BRYAN BULAGA - OT/IOWA
                    2) JONATHON DWYER - RB/GA TECH
                    3) JASON WORILDS - OLB/ VA. TECH
                    4) TORRELL TROUP - NT/CENTRAL FLORIDA

Comment

• Ingtar33
                      Dances With Buffaloes
                      • Sep 2002

Originally posted by OpIv37
                      according to this link, hand size is measured from tip of the pinky to tip of the thumb, with fingers outstretched.

I think about 9 and a half inches from base of the palm to the tip of the middle finger. A very small size for them is 8 and a half inches like alex smith. Brett Favre though has huge hands at 10 5/8 inches. The measurement is not from palm base to tip of middle finger. It is a hand span, from the tip of the pinky to the tip of a thumb on an outstretched hand.

after reading this thread, I decided to measure my hands- just over 10" by the above measurement, and I'm only 5'10". Granted, I've always had disproportionately large hands and feet for my size, but Clausen is listed at 6'3". If his hands are only 8", he's basically that guy with the small hands on the Burger King commercial. That is ridiculously small for a guy his size.

Does that affect his play, particularly in cold weather? I don't know. But South Bend, Indiana, isn't exactly Southern California or Arizona, and he put up damn good numbers in college.

Either way, I'm still against drafting Clausen for numerous reasons that I've already stated. But given his past performance in less-than-ideal weather, I really don't think this should be the deciding issue..
                      he's not 6'3" he's 6'2"

that point aside, his hands are insanity small. my hands are average size for my height (just about 10 inches.. actually i think it was 9 1/2), and i used to think when i was playing that my hands were too small sometimes. It IS a big deal when you're talking 8 inchs. Because hand size matters in the cold and wind and wet.

Daunte Culpepper has 8 inch hands and his biggest problem throughout his career is he fumbled pretty much every time he was touched. this is a big problem for guys with small hands.
                      Last edited by Ingtar33; 04-10-2010, 11:53 PM.
                      My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

Comment

• PECKERWOOD
                        Defies all logic
                        • Oct 2006

I better use my strong hand!!

Comment

• psubills62
                          Legendary Zoner
                          • Sep 2008

Nine inches, guys, not eight. Not that that changes a whole lot, they're still small.
                          "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
                          - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• YardRat
                            Well, lookie here...
                            • Dec 2004

The article praises Clausen's mechanics and work ethic when it comes to perfecting that technique. Still not 100% sold on Clausen. But as I have said before, I trust in Buddy Nix and don't think his picks will have anything to do with anything other than football. That's all I can ask for right now. Nix is going to pick the

Obviously I agree with those who consider hand size a definite factor.

Originally posted by YardRat
                            Clausen has puny hands...bust.
                            YardRat Wall of Fame
                            #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                            #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• jamze132
                              Don’t hate…
                              • Jun 2003

How does one properly measure a penis? This is extrememly important in the NFL because if a QB has a small one and he showers with big ones, his self esteem is going to be damaged, in turn causing his head to be a wreck come game day, which may cause lots of losses.

Comment

Working...
                              X