PDA

View Full Version : If the NHL were to get rid of six teams...

Ebenezer
04-10-2010, 08:20 PM
What six would you choose...what other team changes would you make?

I would get rid of:

Anaheim or LA
Nashville
Dallas
Florida
Atlanta
Columbus

I would move:
Phoenix to Winnipeg
Carolina to Hartford
NY to Quebec

New Divisions:
East:
Buffalo
Boston
Montreal
Toronto
Ottawa
Quebec

Atlantic:
Hartford
NJ
NYR
Philadelphia
Pittsburgh
Washington

Midwest:
Detroit
Minnesota
St. Louis
Chicago
Winnipeg
Tampa

Pacific:
LA
SJ
Vancouver
Colorado
Calgary
Edmonton

G Wolly
04-10-2010, 08:25 PM
This is way too complicated.

But get rid of Anaheim, Carolina, Florida, Tampa, LA, and Dallas.

Buffalogic
04-10-2010, 08:49 PM
They need to move Atlanta, Nashville, and Tampa to Canadian cities. That would appease the Canadians and make more money for the NHL as a whole.

I don't want them to move the Coyotes. I love going to their games.

CuseJetsFan83
04-10-2010, 10:20 PM
i dunno, it always seems to be anaheim is pretty well supported

but my list would be phoenix, tampa, carolina, nashville, columbus so just 5 for me mainly because i really can't consider which 6th deserves to leave first..... unless they decide to give quebec, winnipeg and hartford back their teams

OpIv37
04-10-2010, 10:33 PM
This is way too complicated.

But get rid of Anaheim, Carolina, Florida, Tampa, LA, and Dallas.

Anaheim and Dallas over Phoenix, Nashville, TB or Atlanta? What?

clumping platelets
04-10-2010, 10:37 PM
I would eliminate only 2 teams...........Florida and Atlanta. Move Phoenix to Winnipeg and Carolina back to Hartford...........that's it

OpIv37
04-10-2010, 10:40 PM
while I wouldn't mind seeing Hartford re-claim their team, that city is a disaster and probably couldn't support them. I hate to say it, but it's the reality.

Buffalogic
04-10-2010, 11:10 PM
It's easy for you people to say move Phoenix but I can guarantee we have better/more hockey fans than Florida, Tampa, Nashville, and Atlanta.

OpIv37
04-10-2010, 11:16 PM
It's easy for you people to say move Phoenix but I can guarantee we have better/more hockey fans than Florida, Tampa, Nashville, and Atlanta.

but how many of those fans are Phoenix fans? Phoenix is a transient place- a place where people go for jobs or retirement, and a lot of the hockey fans there are fans of the teams from their original home towns, not Coyotes fans.

DC had the same problem before Ovechkin, and they'll have the problem again once the Caps start losing (although that's probably several years away, unfortunately).

I can believe that the Coyotes have more fans than Florida, TB, Nashville or Atlanta, but that's like saying you are the fastest sprinter at fat camp.

clumping platelets
04-10-2010, 11:31 PM
I can believe that the Coyotes have more fans than Florida, TB, Nashville or Atlanta, but that's like saying you are the fastest sprinter at fat camp.

:roflmao:

Buffalogic
04-10-2010, 11:38 PM
but how many of those fans are Phoenix fans? Phoenix is a transient place- a place where people go for jobs or retirement, and a lot of the hockey fans there are fans of the teams from their original home towns, not Coyotes fans.

DC had the same problem before Ovechkin, and they'll have the problem again once the Caps start losing (although that's probably several years away, unfortunately).

I can believe that the Coyotes have more fans than Florida, TB, Nashville or Atlanta, but that's like saying you are the fastest sprinter at fat camp.Lol you don't have to support the home team to give them your money to see a game. But you make a valid point. No matter what team you support, if they are perennial losers, people won't fill the seats. Phoenix is good now so I think that will change and the Phoenix market is a big one, it can work. Taking away Arizona's team would be really weak when you have a state like Florida that has two NHL teams.

OpIv37
04-10-2010, 11:49 PM
Lol you don't have to support the home team to give them your money to see a game. But you make a valid point. No matter what team you support, if they are perennial losers, people won't fill the seats. Phoenix is good now so I think that will change and the Phoenix market is a big one, it can work. Taking away Arizona's team would be really weak when you have a state like Florida that has two NHL teams.

Agreed- FL deserve one, let alone two. The Coyotes are a struggling franchise, but you can make a decent case that they're not the first that should go.

Still, I think Dallas and LA should stay before Phoenix.

Not that it matters- the NHL isn't going to drop 6 teams anytime soon.

Buffalogic
04-10-2010, 11:54 PM
Agreed- FL deserve one, let alone two. The Coyotes are a struggling franchise, but you can make a decent case that they're not the first that should go.

Still, I think Dallas and LA should stay before Phoenix.

Not that it matters- the NHL isn't going to drop 6 teams anytime soon.Exactly. Yeah, Phoenix is struggling right now, but it would be maddening to see them move before some of the other teams mentioned. Dallas and LA should stay I agree, but does California really need three teams that are that close geographically?? Probably not. It just sucks that nobody in the NHL was thinking about this stuff when they were expansion happy.

And Op I just noticed that you had over 50,000 posts! That's incredible!

OpIv37
04-10-2010, 11:58 PM
Exactly. Yeah, Phoenix is struggling right now, but it would be maddening to see them move before some of the other teams mentioned. Dallas and LA should stay I agree, but does California really need three teams that are that close geographically?? Probably not. It just sucks that nobody in the NHL was thinking about this stuff when they were expansion happy.

And Op I just noticed that you had over 50,000 posts! That's incredible!

yeah, I've been a member for almost 8 years, and I've had some jobs that provide some down time. But I guess I'm a Zone stalwart at this point. Thanks for noticing.

YardRat
04-11-2010, 04:02 AM
Phoenix has the worst attendance in the league this season...they can go, along with Florida, Anaheim, Nashville, Atlanta and Carolina.

jamze132
04-11-2010, 07:17 AM
Bring back the Nordiques!

rbochan
04-11-2010, 08:07 AM
Florida played Tampa Bay yesterday. Is it possible for an arena to get negative attendance?

Bravo82
04-11-2010, 08:18 AM
All I would do is get rid of Florida and Atlanta, and move Phoenix to Vegas.

SABURZFAN
04-11-2010, 09:09 AM
get rid of...

Florida
Tampa
Atlanta
Phoenix
Nashville
Carolina

SABURZFAN
04-11-2010, 09:21 AM
All I would do is get rid of Florida and Atlanta, and move Phoenix to Vegas.

hockey in Vegas would never work. it's a 24 hour town and people work various shifts. they had some good Las Vegas Thunder teams back in the day and they still only averaged 6500 people a game.

Ebenezer
04-11-2010, 09:23 AM
hockey in Vegas would never work. it's a 24 hour town and people work various shifts. they had some good Las Vegas Thunder teams back in the day and they still only averaged 6500 people a game.
unless the team is a winner, and then only briefly, show me a team south of St. Louis that draws fans consistently? I only considered saving Tampa, Dallas and Anaheim as my southern teams because they have won cups. If Hartford can't support a team then they can stay in Carolina and play in the Atlantic division.

JD
04-11-2010, 11:39 AM
Toronto
Ottawa
Philadelphia
Washington
Pittsburgh
San Jose

but really
ERASE:
Carolina
Florida

MOVE:
Phoenix (Winnipeg), Tampa Bay (Quebec) and Atlanta (Kansas City).

THE NHL SHOULD START A SISTER LEAGUE (ROLLER HOCKEY) FOR THE SOUTHERN STATES. Roller hockey is just as exciting as Ice.. plus the southerners can relate to it better with the warmer climate.

RockStar36
04-11-2010, 12:14 PM
I wouldn't move any teams from California.

Phoenix, Atlanta, Tampa Bay, and Florida can easily go.

hammerbillsfan
04-11-2010, 04:47 PM
Florida
Carolina
Atlanta

Dozerdog
04-13-2010, 10:32 AM
What six would you choose...what other team changes would you make?

I would get rid of:

Anaheim or LA
Nashville
Dallas
Florida
Atlanta
Columbus

I would move:
Phoenix to Winnipeg
Carolina to Hartford
NY to Quebec

New Divisions:
East:
Buffalo
Boston
Montreal
Toronto
Ottawa
Quebec

Atlantic:
Hartford
NJ
NYR
Philadelphia
Pittsburgh
Washington

Midwest:
Detroit
Minnesota
St. Louis
Chicago
Winnipeg
Tampa

Pacific:
LA
SJ
Vancouver
Colorado
Calgary
Edmonton

Hartford blew their chance, Anaheim has had better success than most teams in the NHL

Move Pheonix back to Winnipeg
Move the Islanders to Quebec
Florida Panthers to KC
Atlanta to Seattle
Nashville to Milwaukee

Divisions-

Northeast - Buffalo, Toronto, Boston, Montreal, Quebec

Atlantic- Ottawa, New York Rangers, Pitt, NJ, Philly

South - Washington,Tampa, Carolina, KC, St Louis

Midwest - Detroit, Chicago, Milwaukee, Minnisota, Columbus

Canadian- Seattle, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Calgary, Vancouver

West- LA, Anaheim, Colorado, Dallas, SJ

JD
04-13-2010, 12:32 PM
Hartford blew their chance, Anaheim has had better success than most teams in the NHL

Move Pheonix back to Winnipeg
Move the Islanders to Quebec
Florida Panthers to KC
Atlanta to Seattle
Nashville to Milwaukee

Divisions-

Northeast - Buffalo, Toronto, Boston, Montreal, Quebec

Atlantic- Ottawa, New York Rangers, Pitt, NJ, Philly

South - Washington,Tampa, Carolina, KC, St Louis

Midwest - Detroit, Chicago, Milwaukee, Minnisota, Columbus

Northwest- Seattle, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Calgary, Vancouver

Pacific- LA, Anaheim, Colorado, Dallas, SJ

Purely genius, I'd just make those two changes and agree 1000%!
I'd start a website, I'm sure you could get plenty of Canadian backing for the proposal.

Mski
04-13-2010, 03:10 PM
dont the cyotes play almost 2 hrs outside of pheonix?

ticatfan
04-14-2010, 11:06 AM
How ever it works, I would love to see a original 6 division.