PDA

View Full Version : Comments on the Ottawa game: Vanek and Miller

OpIv37
04-10-2010, 09:58 PM
Holy ****, those guys came to play. They're the reason we won, and Vanek had the game of his life. This victory is HUGE in terms of confidence for the playoffs.

Roy and Myers played well.

I like Sekera's offense but he gives up opportunities on the defensive end, and it's not a good trade off.

Gerbe played well.

Pominville sucks. I'm so sick of him whiffing on offensive opportunities.

I still don't like the PP. There were far too many times when Ottawa won battles against the boards when the Sabres were on the PP because they had numbers- that's inexcusable. They also gave up too many opportunities while on the PP.

PK was unbelievable. It's cliche, but the goalie has to be the best penalty killer, and he is.

It was GREAT to shut out Alfredsson and ruin his celebration.

Myers better win ROTY and he should be in consideration for MVP.

Ruutu and Neil are punk douchebags, and always will be.

Dr. Lecter
04-10-2010, 10:00 PM
Pominville sucks? Are you serious or have you not watched any games the last two months?

I am not taking anything out of this game. It was meaningless to Ottawa as they are finishing 5th no matter what

Dr. Lecter
04-10-2010, 10:01 PM
As for Gerbe, this might have been his last game since Kaleta is almost ready. but if Stafford is hurt, he can stay up

OpIv37
04-10-2010, 10:05 PM
Pominville sucks? Are you serious or have you not watched any games the last two months?

I am not taking anything out of this game. It was meaningless to Ottawa as they are finishing 5th no matter what

I've watched a lot of games over the last two months. The guy hits brief hot streaks. The rest of the time, he whiffs on offensive opportunities and generally doesn't show up. I've really had it with him.

In the standings this game meant nothing to Ottawa, but I guarantee you they didn't want to give up 5 to Buffalo on Alfredsson's celebration night. Unlike Buffalo, most teams have too much pride to just roll over in situations like this. I simply can't believe that Ottawa didn't even care and just surrendered, on home ice, in their final home game, on Alfredsson's night.

Dr. Lecter
04-10-2010, 10:12 PM
I've watched a lot of games over the last two months. The guy hits brief hot streaks. The rest of the time, he whiffs on offensive opportunities and generally doesn't show up. I've really had it with him.

In the standings this game meant nothing to Ottawa, but I guarantee you they didn't want to give up 5 to Buffalo on Alfredsson's celebration night. Unlike Buffalo, most teams have too much pride to just roll over in situations like this. I simply can't believe that Ottawa didn't even care and just surrendered, on home ice, in their final home game, on Alfredsson's night.

If you think it has only been brief hot streaks, I don't think you have watched as much as you think. He has been damn good the last two months and has not been as bad as people say the entire season.

I am not sure what you want out of him - he is 2nd on the team in goals and is one of the top 3 penalty killers. He is 3rd on the team in points.

He has been one of the teams top 5 forwards over the entire season with Connolly, Vanek, Roy and Hecht.

Does he wiff on the puck? Yes. Does he do a bunch of other stuff very well? Yes.

clumping platelets
04-10-2010, 10:15 PM
I truly believe that Ottawa came into this game not to win but to physical punish the Sabres.

Dr. Lecter
04-10-2010, 10:19 PM

And I almost the "unlike Buffalo" comment.

WTH does that mean????

This team does not have pride???

They might finish 2nd in the East and they have no pride??

Really?

OpIv37
04-10-2010, 10:28 PM
And I almost the "unlike Buffalo" comment.

WTH does that mean????

This team does not have pride???

They might finish 2nd in the East and they have no pride??

Really?

They don't stand up for each other. They don't play complete games. They don't show up against teams like Ottawa (1-5 this season, lost 8 straight) or Washington (1-3 this season). You watch this team more than I do- there are some tough guys on the team, but a lot of them look like they play not to get hurt rather than playing to win (with Pominville at the top of the list).

Buffalogic
04-10-2010, 10:31 PM

In the standings this game meant nothing to Ottawa, but I guarantee you they didn't want to give up 5 to Buffalo on Alfredsson's celebration night. Unlike Buffalo, most teams have too much pride to just roll over in situations like this. I simply can't believe that Ottawa didn't even care and just surrendered, on home ice, in their final home game, on Alfredsson's night.The Senators didn't quit they were beaten into submission, by Vanek, you know the other guy you dump all over.

And it's pretty clear you hate Pominville for reasons others than his play on the ice because he's been great over the last 2 months.

You my friend, are a hater.

OpIv37
04-10-2010, 10:36 PM
The Senators didn't quit they were beaten into submission, by Vanek, you know the other guy you dump all over.

And it's pretty clear you hate Pominville for reasons others than his play on the ice because he's been great over the last 2 months.

You my friend, are a hater.

um, I gave Vanek props for having the game of his life. Yes, I generally do hate on him, but I gave him the respect he deserved this time around. So I don't know what your complaint is here.

As far as Pominville, the guy is a streaky player. And he hasn't been good for the last two months. He's had good flashes over the last two months, but he hasn't had 2 solid back-to-back months since the days when Drury and Briere were here to take the pressure off of him.

Dr. Lecter
04-10-2010, 10:40 PM
They don't stand up for each other. They don't play complete games. They don't show up against teams like Ottawa (1-5 this season, lost 8 straight) or Washington (1-3 this season). You watch this team more than I do- there are some tough guys on the team, but a lot of them look like they play not to get hurt rather than playing to win (with Pominville at the top of the list).

How the hell are they 2nd or 3rd in the East if all of that is true and unique to Buffalo?

You look at the other top teams in the East and they also have bad records against other teams (Pittsburgh did not beat Washington at all). There are teams that struggle against other teams. It happens.

You are acting more positive about the Nationals than you are the Sabres.

OpIv37
04-10-2010, 10:46 PM
How the hell are they 2nd or 3rd in the East if all of that is true and unique to Buffalo?

You look at the other top teams in the East and they also have bad records against other teams (Pittsburgh did not beat Washington at all). There are teams that struggle against other teams. It happens.

You are acting more positive about the Nationals than you are the Sabres.

My expectations for the Nationals are very low.

My expectations for the Sabres are much higher. They were 2nd in the conf at the end of the 06-07 season and I expected them to improve from there, not regress. I will not give this team any breaks until they return to that form.

And to answer your question, I really don't know. This is a very odd team. When I look at the numbers and the standings, I get a pretty good feeling. When I watch them play, I have no ****ing idea how they won so many games. Only 5 guys actually hit, they have no true scorers, they have a god-awful PP, they don't stand up for each other, they don't play complete games, their passing isn't crisp, they take bad penalties late in close games.... you get the point. This team is still a level below the team that couldn't win the Cup in 06-07.

Buffalogic
04-10-2010, 11:05 PM
um, I gave Vanek props for having the game of his life. Yes, I generally do hate on him, but I gave him the respect he deserved this time around. So I don't know what your complaint is here.

As far as Pominville, the guy is a streaky player. And he hasn't been good for the last two months. He's had good flashes over the last two months, but he hasn't had 2 solid back-to-back months since the days when Drury and Briere were here to take the pressure off of him.yeah, you gave Vanek credit, but It takes four goals in one game for you to say anything good about him. The rest of the time you're dogging him hard. You hate our best players lol.

Roy's been having a good points streak. I'm surprised you aren't trashing him too.

Even when you try to give the team credit you always gotta add a little negative jab at someone. We've been out of the playoffs for two years and this year we could end up the number 2 seed!! At some point you just gotta enjoy it instead of picking them apart constantly.

Buffalogic
04-10-2010, 11:07 PM

My expectations for the Sabres are much higher. They were 2nd in the conf at the end of the 06-07 season and I expected them to improve from there, not regress. I will not give this team any breaks until they return to that form.

And to answer your question, I really don't know. This is a very odd team. When I look at the numbers and the standings, I get a pretty good feeling. When I watch them play, I have no ****ing idea how they won so many games. Only 5 guys actually hit, they have no true scorers, they have a god-awful PP, they don't stand up for each other, they don't play complete games, their passing isn't crisp, they take bad penalties late in close games.... you get the point. This team is still a level below the team that couldn't win the Cup in 06-07.The team wins because they are way underrated defensively and Miller is amazing. Balanced goalscoring helps a lot too. They are 30-0-0 when leading after two periods and you don't understand how they win??

Proverbial boa constrictors of the NHL.

OpIv37
04-10-2010, 11:12 PM
yeah, you gave Vanek credit, but It takes four goals in one game for you to say anything good about him. The rest of the time you're dogging him hard. You hate our best players lol.

Roy's been having a good points streak. I'm surprised you aren't trashing him too.

Even when you try to give the team credit you always gotta add a little negative jab at someone. We've been out of the playoffs for two years and this year we could end up the number 2 seed!! At some point you just gotta enjoy it instead of picking them apart constantly.

I don't hate our best players. I want this team to win, and I'm not afraid to call guys out when they aren't helping the team win. If those happen to be the guys commonly accepted as the team's "best players," so be it. I value the team and wins more than any individual player.

Roy is inconsistent too, but the guy got hot at the right time. Hopefully he can carry it through the playoffs.

I certainly enjoyed the game tonight. There's a difference between being analytical and critical when the team isn't playing and enjoying the game. I haven't been to a home Sabres game since the Aud days (although I do go to the away games here in DC), but I've been to plenty of home Bills games, and plenty of people on this board (even Dr. Lecter) can attest to the fact that I'm just as rowdy as anyone else on game day. Usually I can't even talk when the game is over because my voice is so hoarse from yelling. So, please don't accuse me of not enjoying the team just because I pick them apart (deservedly so) on this board.

OpIv37
04-10-2010, 11:13 PM
The team wins because they are way underrated defensively and Miller is amazing. Balanced goalscoring helps a lot too. They are 30-0-0 when leading after two periods and you don't understand how they win??

Proverbial boa constrictors of the NHL.

But that's what I've been saying all year. They win because of Miller. If Miller is off, they lose. They key off of one player, and that is not a recipe for playoff success.

Dr. Lecter
04-10-2010, 11:17 PM

And to answer your question, I really don't know. This is a very odd team. When I look at the numbers and the standings, I get a pretty good feeling. When I watch them play, I have no ****ing idea how they won so many games. Only 5 guys actually hit, they have no true scorers, they have a god-awful PP, they don't stand up for each other, they don't play complete games, their passing isn't crisp, they take bad penalties late in close games.... you get the point. This team is still a level below the team that couldn't win the Cup in 06-07.

What were your expectations for the Sabres this year?

Their PP is not that bad. Not good or great, but not awful. They are 3rd in the East in scoring. (behind Pittsburgh and Washington). The goal scoring thing has been overblown all year. Scoring is down across the league. They are also 2nd in the East in goal differential, so they the defense to go with it.

A lot of your observations are true for all teams. They got to where they are somehow. Give them a little credit

Dr. Lecter
04-10-2010, 11:18 PM
I don't hate our best players. I want this team to win, and I'm not afraid to call guys out when they aren't helping the team win. If those happen to be the guys commonly accepted as the team's "best players," so be it. I value the team and wins more than any individual player.

But you are not enjoying the wins.

OpIv37
04-10-2010, 11:20 PM
A lot of your observations are true for all teams. They got to where they are somehow. Give them a little credit

wait a second... I believe this thread started with me giving them credit and you responding by saying it didn't matter because the game was meaningless to Ottawa.

OpIv37
04-10-2010, 11:21 PM
But you are not enjoying the wins.

once again, re-read posts 1 and 2 in this thread. I gave them credit, and you responded that it was meaningless.

Buffalogic
04-10-2010, 11:23 PM
But that's what I've been saying all year. They win because of Miller. If Miller is off, they lose. They key off of one player, and that is not a recipe for playoff success.See though, it's not just Miller. Myers gets a ton of credit because he has earned it, but man Tallinder is such a good defender and really smart with the puck. They make a great tandem and he really gets over looked, as does Lydman. They play good team defense, yeah it starts with Miller and yes, he's the best goalie in the league, but our defense plays well in front of him, not perfect, but really well.

Dr. Lecter
04-10-2010, 11:24 PM
once again, re-read posts 1 and 2 in this thread. I gave them credit, and you responded that it was meaningless.

The single game is. I really think Ottawa was elsewhere mentally and they played the back-up goalie.

the season? Not so meaningless.

OpIv37
04-10-2010, 11:29 PM
See though, it's not just Miller. Myers gets a ton of credit because he has earned it, but man Tallinder is such a good defender and really smart with the puck. They make a great tandem and he really gets over looked, as does Lydman. They play good team defense, yeah it starts with Miller and yes, he's the best goalie in the league, but our defense plays well in front of him, not perfect, but really well.

I've consistently given Myers credit all season. I think there was one game where he choked and I trashed him, because he deserved it, but I have regularly praised the guy.

I've also said that Tallinder has had a hell of a season. In fact, a few weeks back, someone started a thread about Sabres comeback player of the year, and Tallinder and Hecht were my recommendations.

As far as Lydman, he's another inconsistent guy. I've seen him own Sydney Crosby for most of a game, and I've seen him have ridiculous brain farts as well.

OpIv37
04-10-2010, 11:31 PM
The single game is. I really think Ottawa was elsewhere mentally and they played the back-up goalie.

the season? Not so meaningless.

So what do you want from me?

They played well- I gave numerous players credit for having great games, and I singled out a couple of guys who didn't have particularly good games. You may disagree with that assessment, which is fine, but I think it's disingenuous to say that I don't give the team any credit. I gave props where props were due and criticism where criticism was due.

Dr. Lecter
04-10-2010, 11:35 PM
I've consistently given Myers credit all season. I think there was one game where he choked and I trashed him, because he deserved it, but I have regularly praised the guy.

I've also said that Tallinder has had a hell of a season. In fact, a few weeks back, someone started a thread about Sabres comeback player of the year, and Tallinder and Hecht were my recommendations.

As far as Lydman, he's another inconsistent guy. I've seen him own Sydney Crosby for most of a game, and I've seen him have ridiculous brain farts as well.

Lydman is maddening.

He can shut down Crosby or Ovechkin and then get burned by a guy at the skill level of Adam Mair or Matt Ellis.

Dr. Lecter
04-11-2010, 07:30 AM
So what do you want from me?

They played well- I gave numerous players credit for having great games, and I singled out a couple of guys who didn't have particularly good games. You may disagree with that assessment, which is fine, but I think it's disingenuous to say that I don't give the team any credit. I gave props where props were due and criticism where criticism was due.

How about a list of positives that is as long as you list of negatives (for the season)?

You have many more negatives than positives when discussing the season.

JD
04-11-2010, 11:29 AM

..what teams play a full 60 minutes? I'm sure washington has shown up for 20 minutes and won just like the Sabres have done.

28-0 going into the 3rd period with the lead.

RockStar36
04-11-2010, 12:11 PM
If Vanek played like that all the time, he would be well worth the money.

For as many times as I've seen him miss the net and swear to himself on the bench, he seemed to just put the puck home last night when he had the chance. I really hope this is a sign of things to come.

OpIv37
04-11-2010, 02:16 PM
..what teams play a full 60 minutes? I'm sure washington has shown up for 20 minutes and won just like the Sabres have done.

28-0 going into the 3rd period with the lead.

And how many times have we been down by 1 late in the game and taken a stupid penalty to basically kill any last chance of forcing overtime? How many times have we lost games, or gone to overtime instead of winning in regulation, causing a missed opportunity to move up in the standings.

Washington can play a solid 20 minutes and score 3 or 4 goals. We don't have the offensive firepower to pull that off.

SkateZilla
04-11-2010, 02:39 PM
cant eval anything on 1 game out of 82

SkateZilla
04-11-2010, 03:01 PM
See though, it's not just Miller. Myers gets a ton of credit because he has earned it, but man Tallinder is such a good defender and really smart with the puck. They make a great tandem and he really gets over looked, as does Lydman. They play good team defense, yeah it starts with Miller and yes, he's the best goalie in the league, but our defense plays well in front of him, not perfect, but really well.

not picking on Tallinder over one play, but the overhead shot of the Neil Goal shows his main problem, dont Leave your man ALONE in front of Miller.... I've seen Tallinder do this way too many times.

Myers Makes mistakes but usually recovers to prevent goals, unless its a bonehead move like the one tallinder did on Neil's goal.

as for our PP, its pathetic. you know how many times I go back on My USB 2.0 Harddrive and watch the 720p WMV Footage i have from the season we won the Pres. Trophy, our PP looks TONs better. something bout the team now,they just play around with the man advantage, Our PP if not fixed is our achilles heel, teams will take penalties on Purpose to get to our players, and to get short handed breakaways.

OpIv37
04-11-2010, 03:21 PM
cant eval anything on 1 game out of 82

what the hell are you talking about? These are things I've complained about ALL YEAR. Every time I have a criticism that you homers can't answer, you take this myopic view and go "it's only one game." But it's not. That's just a cop-out when you have no valid point.

OpIv37
04-11-2010, 03:22 PM
not picking on Tallinder over one play, but the overhead shot of the Neil Goal shows his main problem, dont Leave your man ALONE in front of Miller.... I've seen Tallinder do this way too many times.

Myers Makes mistakes but usually recovers to prevent goals, unless its a bonehead move like the one tallinder did on Neil's goal.

as for our PP, its pathetic. you know how many times I go back on My USB 2.0 Harddrive and watch the 720p WMV Footage i have from the season we won the Pres. Trophy, our PP looks TONs better. something bout the team now,they just play around with the man advantage, Our PP if not fixed is our achilles heel, teams will take penalties on Purpose to get to our players, and to get short handed breakaways.

see, this is much better. The PP has been a long term problem, and I agree with your assessment of the Neil goal, although I hadn't noticed that it's a long-term trend.

Dr. Lecter
04-11-2010, 06:21 PM
After all of the play today, they get strict in the last minute. So I am sure Op will use this as an example, but those calls were tick-tack.

2 penalties on the Sabres. No 2nd for them. I guess it is Boston.

BTW, Op people can disagree with you without being homers.

That is as maddening as the people who say you are not a real fan. Cut the horse****

Ebenezer
04-11-2010, 06:24 PM
After all of the play today, they get strict in the last minute. So I am sure Op will use this as an example, but those calls were tick-tack.

That is as maddening as the people who say you are not a real fan. Cut the horse****
I never said he wasnt a real fan...I said he is the worst kind of fan.

Buffalogic
04-11-2010, 06:40 PM

as for our PP, its pathetic. you know how many times I go back on My USB 2.0 Harddrive and watch the 720p WMV Footage i have from the season we won the Pres. Trophy, our PP looks TONs better. something bout the team now,they just play around with the man advantage, Our PP if not fixed is our achilles heel, teams will take penalties on Purpose to get to our players, and to get short handed breakaways.Seeing as the sabres have only given up three short handed goals all year and you say teams will take penalties on us to get short handed opportunities??? Funny.

OpIv37
04-11-2010, 07:10 PM

I agree on the officiating. Both teams committed blatant offenses that were not called, then all of a sudden they nail the Sabres for two questionable calls in a row.

Yes, people can disagree with me without being homers. However, people who say "Relax, it's only one game" are homers who have no response to the points I've made, and it's easier for them to look at the game in a vacuum than to deal with the reality of what I've said.

OpIv37
04-11-2010, 07:12 PM
Seeing as the sabres have only given up three short handed goals all year and you say teams will take penalties on us to get short handed opportunities??? Funny.

did you watch the game against Ottawa? Even though we won and we didn't give up a shorty, they had at least 4 quality scoring chances while short-handed. Today wasn't as bad- I only recall giving up one. But giving up short-handed chances is a problem that this team has has. They haven't given up short-handed goals because Miller bails them out, but I wouldn't expect that to continue with the higher level of competition in the playoffs.

Buffalogic
04-11-2010, 07:33 PM
did you watch the game against Ottawa? Even though we won and we didn't give up a shorty, they had at least 4 quality scoring chances while short-handed. Today wasn't as bad- I only recall giving up one. But giving up short-handed chances is a problem that this team has has. They haven't given up short-handed goals because Miller bails them out, but I wouldn't expect that to continue with the higher level of competition in the playoffs.Yeah I watched the OTT game. They definitely had a lot of short handed opportunities but the season stats say that the game in Ottawa was more of an aberration rather than something we should be worried about in my opinion.

Lack of Buffalo goals on the PP is a lot more concerning than worrying about getting scored on short handed. Like I said, it happened 3 times in 82 games.