PDA

View Full Version : The Jimmy Clausen Bandwagon: All Aboard

baalworship
04-11-2010, 01:49 PM
This thread is for those who want the Bills to draft Notre Dame QB Jimmy Clausen. For all those who disagree please stay out of this thread as you have 25 of your own already.

All aboard the Clausen to Buffalo thread. Please post your reasons for wanting this now.

I'll start.

1.I am sick of trying to get by with scraps at QB. Trent Edwards is not an NFL QB, he is shot.

2.He will make Dolphins, Pats, and Jets fans angry. One person said Clausen made him want to punch him in the face. Good, sounds like Kaleta!

3.He has the arm to play in Buffalo and he has a gunslinger mentality.

4. He is NFL ready and can start this year.

5.He is tough and played through pain last year.

6.I am a huge proponent of dominating the line of scrimmage but a good QB is far more of a game changer than a good LT. This current team needs a drastic change. The Bills are so bad that they bore me. At least with Clausen I will want to turn on the TV next year.

T-Long
04-11-2010, 01:54 PM
I've been on this bandwagon for months now. I truly see the importance of trying to protect the QB, but the problem is, we don't HAVE a QB yet to protect. If Clausen falls to 9 and Trent Williams is not there, then they have got to pull the trigger. I think it's as simple as that.

better days
04-11-2010, 01:56 PM
I will trust Buddy & Chans judgement in whichever QB they select. If Clausen is the man, so be it, I will be on board although I would rather have a LT in the 1st if one of the top ones are there.

Slim
04-11-2010, 01:58 PM
I'd be happy. I really don't think we draft him though. Just have that gut feeling.

Midwesternbillsfan
04-11-2010, 02:06 PM
Clausen is usually derided because of the college from which he hails and because of some- perceived or accurate- arrogance and lack of leadership abilities (that label doesn't seem supporting by the fact that he was voted a captain by his Fighting Irish peers. And on the field, Clausen engineered just about every Irish win last year by leading a comeback).

Anyway, there is a lot to like about Clausen:

- Clausen showed real toughness on the field last year, playing well and playing through a debillitating toe turf injury.

- Clausen is well-versed in a pro-style offense; most of his peers are not.

- Clausen can quickly and effectively read and dissect defenses (in part because of his pro-style knowledge and experience) and owns the presence of mind to go through all of his progressions, a rare ability for a young QB.

- Clausen was remarkably accurate last year and also showed good touch on his throws; he seemed to recognize when to unleash it and when to show restraint.

- Contrary to some opinions, Clausen certainly has a strong enough arm to make all the necessary throws. ESPN's NFL stat guy Seth Joyner did a lot to dispel these 'concerns.'

- Clausen's decision-making was superb last season; a 28:4 TD/INT ratio is exceptional. He did have Tate and Floyd at wideout, and a solid TE in Rudolph. But Floyd missed half of the year, and there was no discernible difference in Clausen's level of play during his absence. Clausen still played sublimely.

- Clausen showed strong growth in his development from a freshman to a junior. That indicates that he's tractable/impressionable to coaching, which is something that's absolutely necessary for a young QB to succeed in the NFL.

Anyway, I'm less sure that he'll be available at 9 than I am that he'd amount to a good draft pick.

BertSquirtgum
04-11-2010, 02:24 PM
not happening

OpIv37
04-11-2010, 02:35 PM
I still don't think this team is ready for a QB, with no WR's and a terrible OL.

ddaryl
04-11-2010, 03:04 PM
Fix the trenches and make a huge move next year for Jake Locker !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nighthawk
04-11-2010, 03:13 PM
If it happens, I'm not going to cry. If the Bills brass decides that he isn't the direction they want to go, then I'd be fine with that. Umm, unless they draft a CB, then I might puke!

BillsMan80
04-11-2010, 03:30 PM
Fix the trenches and make a huge move next year for Jake Locker !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And that 58% COLLEGE completion percentage as well as almost as many picks as TDs in his college career? Locker and Mallett are going to be Tim Couch like busts. Just wait and see. Except Couch was actually good in college unlike Locker and Mallett.

Ebenezer
04-11-2010, 03:35 PM
I wouldn't be unhappy with the pick...I just don't think he will be there at #9.

ddaryl
04-11-2010, 03:35 PM
And that 58% COLLEGE completion percentage as well as almost as many picks as TDs in his college career? Locker and Mallett are going to be Tim Couch like busts. Just wait and see. Except Couch was actually good in college unlike Locker and Mallett.

Dude stop it. LMFAO. You have no idea on how Locker will be as a pro... and college stats need ot be diagnosed with the situation division and type of O amongst other things. But most experts have Locker as th etop QB in 2011. The fact he went back to school says a lot about his character as well IMO. locker would have been drafted ahead of Clausen in tis draft easily, and probabaly even Bradford had he declared

Locker is on a crappy team with little to no support. He chose the Huskies because he is a local boy. The huskies just started to look like an organization that may start winning soon after being inelidgible and had recruiting restirctions for years after violations. This past year was the 1st year the team actually started winning a few games.

but none of those arguments matter because the fact is next years QB class will be better then this years, and we still have huge holes to fill in areas that will protect any young QB.

I owuld be more then happy to wait till next year for a top signal caller in the 2010 draft.

BillsWin
04-11-2010, 04:12 PM
I'm a big fan of drafting Clausen but not putting him in until we address offensive line. I would put Fitz or Edwards in to get smashed.

The last thing we want is to draft Clausen, then get him killed. Saffold in the second would go a long way at convincing me that a Clausen move was a good idea.

PECKERWOOD
04-11-2010, 04:20 PM
Exactly, we oughta draft Clausen and then dump every single pick we got into our OL and into targets for Clausen, even if we have to mortgage our 1st round pick next year.

better days
04-11-2010, 05:26 PM
I still don't think this team is ready for a QB, with no WR's and a terrible OL.

The Bills had TWO VERY GOOD WR's last year. After seeing the QB play last year I think the Bills are MORE than ready for a QB. They will upgrade the O-line as well. I don't understand why some people don't think they can do both.

Buffalogic
04-11-2010, 06:29 PM
The Jimmy Clausen bandwagon has a broken axle. Oregon trail style. Get off now if you don't want to catch dysentery.

lordofgun
04-11-2010, 06:32 PM
I'm in.

Ebenezer
04-11-2010, 06:33 PM
Exactly, we oughta draft Clausen and then dump every single pick we got into our OL and into targets for Clausen, even if we have to mortgage our 1st round pick next year.
This OL is not as bad as folks think. Hentgarten, Wood and Levitre were solid. They needed a LT no doubt. The thing that has throw everything for a loop was Butler retiring. If he didn't leave I don't think people would be in a huge panic.

BertSquirtgum
04-11-2010, 06:42 PM
come on man. the offensive line was putrid.

Ebenezer
04-11-2010, 06:58 PM
come on man. the offensive line was putrid.
no, the T position was putrid. The rookies held their own quite nicely.

shelby
04-11-2010, 07:09 PM
ABT....anybody but Tebow.

i agree that other glaring needs should be addressed first.

i like that Clausen is arrogant. So was Kelly. But the term "gunslinger" was ruined, for me, by JP Losman.

PECKERWOOD
04-11-2010, 07:11 PM
no, the T position was putrid. The rookies held their own quite nicely.

There is some truth to this, but what we're forgetting here is that Wood went down with a serious leg break, Butler retired, Peters was traded, Walker was cut, Terrell Owens took a hike and Josh Reed is still on the market. Our defense is still in good shape, our secondary should be one of the best in the league and our linebacker group looks solid. This draft should really be focused on offense, if we could draft offense while getting the BPA even better.

OpIv37
04-11-2010, 07:19 PM
The Bills had TWO VERY GOOD WR's last year. After seeing the QB play last year I think the Bills are MORE than ready for a QB. They will upgrade the O-line as well. I don't understand why some people don't think they can do both.

They can't do both because they didn't sign any FA's, and they only have so many draft picks and they have tons of holes on the D already. It's pretty simple to understand why people think they can't do both.

And what 2 very good WR's? Evans is average at best, Reed is gone, TO is gone, Parrish is useless, S. Johnson has done nothing, Hardy has done nothing....

You really have an unrealistically optimistic view of this team.

Ebenezer
04-11-2010, 07:21 PM
There is some truth to this, but what we're forgetting here is that Wood went down with a serious leg break, Butler retired, Peters was traded, Walker was cut, Terrell Owens took a hike and Josh Reed is still on the market. Our defense is still in good shape, our secondary should be one of the best in the league and our linebacker group looks solid. This draft should really be focused on offense, if we could draft offense while getting the BPA even better.

Peters and Walker were gone before last season - they are irrelevant. Owens and Reed didn't play on the OL - they are irrelevant. Focus on the offense, yes but I don't think the need is as desperate as some make. If Wood is back and this team brings in a LT at #9 people will stop talking about the OL.

OpIv37
04-11-2010, 07:25 PM
Peters and Walker were gone before last season - they are irrelevant. Owens and Reed didn't play on the OL - they are irrelevant. Focus on the offense, yes but I don't think the need is as desperate as some make. If Wood is back and this team brings in a LT at #9 people will stop talking about the OL.

Oh no they won't. Hangartner and Green suck. And Wood and Levitre were overrated last year- they weren't bad, but people got all excited because they were rookies who didn't completely suck. And there is no depth. One injury and Demetrius Bell is starting (hell, if we don't get an LT in round 1, there's a good chance he's starting anyway).

This OL is at LEAST 2 starters and 2 depth players from being NFL caliber.

Ebenezer
04-11-2010, 07:28 PM
Oh no they won't. Hangartner and Green suck. And Wood and Levitre were overrated last year- they weren't bad, but people got all excited because they were rookies who didn't completely suck. And there is no depth. One injury and Demetrius Bell is starting (hell, if we don't get an LT in round 1, there's a good chance he's starting anyway).

This OL is at LEAST 2 starters and 2 depth players from being NFL caliber.
SHUT THE **** UP. You can't possibly be that negative all the time. You would kill an orgy. You are bona fide the most depressing poster this board has ever seen. If it pains you so much then please just go the hell away.

BuffaloBlitz83
04-11-2010, 07:30 PM
The OL is awful. Not one guy is good. They are all average to slightly above average. That is a major problem when you have No one on entire line that is good. You can be a decent OL if you have One good OL and a few average and slightly above average guys. Sure they have potential but you gotta judge it on NOW and it is a major issue. And one of the 2 guys I'm talking about in Levitre and Bell is coming off a serious injury!

PECKERWOOD
04-11-2010, 07:30 PM

Why are they irrelevant? They're irrelevant once we finally bring somebody good in to replace them.

bigbub2352
04-11-2010, 07:32 PM
i am always in favor of taking a chance on a QB given our current roster makeup and our horrible decade of failure

breath some life into the fanbase the good lord knows we need it
take LT and NT with our next 2 picks and another RT in the 4th and take a OLB in the 5th, and RB and maybe a WR in the 6th and BPA DL and OL in the 7th

then go out and sign a vet WR like Coles or something to that effect for a yr

OpIv37
04-12-2010, 08:11 AM
SHUT THE **** UP. You can't possibly be that negative all the time. You would kill an orgy. You are bona fide the most depressing poster this board has ever seen. If it pains you so much then please just go the hell away.
What I said is the reality of the situation. It's a bad situation- you can either deal with it or choose to look away. Don't hold it against me because I choose to deal with it.

k-oneputt
04-12-2010, 08:30 AM
Don't worry about it, Clausen won't even be there at #9.
They will then be able to get their o-tackle, unless they get really stupid and take a wr or rb.

Jan Reimers
04-12-2010, 08:50 AM
I'm on, if only to give me something to do besides listening to the gloom and doom around here.

Kenny
04-12-2010, 09:35 AM
If both Trent Williams and Bulaga are gone, -Im all for going for Claussen.

madness
04-12-2010, 10:14 AM
I'm hesitant to get on. Will this ride fall short of the destination every time we go to the big game?

Michael82
04-12-2010, 10:45 AM
I'm on the Clausen bandwagon. I feel our biggest problem is Quarterback and I'm sick of all the bashing the Offensive Line gets every year. The excuse is getting old. Even when we had Peters and Walker, people still *****ed! The problem is Quarterback and Jimmy Clausen is the best one that should be available to us. I understand that people want offensive line help, but it's deep at OT and I have a feeling we'll be able to get a good one in the 2nd round or via a trade up back into the bottom of the 1st round.

Michael82
04-12-2010, 10:48 AM
Oh and for the record, I'm starting to get on the Tim Tebow bandwagon too. IF the Bills are able to get Trent Williams or Bryan Bulaga, then I would be fine with Tebow in round 2 or later. He needs a lot of work, but if anyone can help develop him and turn him into a good NFL QB, I trust Chan Gailey.

Ebenezer
04-12-2010, 10:55 AM
I trust Chan Gailey.

Based on?

madness
04-12-2010, 11:03 AM
Based on?

His track record of turning **** into sugar.

ddaryl
04-12-2010, 11:06 AM
Oh and for the record, I'm starting to get on the Tim Tebow bandwagon too. IF the Bills are able to get Trent Williams or Bryan Bulaga, then I would be fine with Tebow in round 2 or later. He needs a lot of work, but if anyone can help develop him and turn him into a good NFL QB, I trust Chan Gailey.

Actually I prefer Tebow in the 2nd over Calusen in the 1st if we're going QB's.

Tebow fits Chan's style, and Tebow's work ethic and determination stands out... but I also don't think Tebow can start on day 1 which makes him more of luxury pick...

So that brings me back top wanting to do whater it takes to fix our OL DL and LB'ers in this draft and make a huge move in 2011 for a franchise QB