PDA

View Full Version : On John Skelton

patmoran2006
04-12-2010, 08:24 AM
I reported on this back in February and Im still hearing the same thing. Buddy Nix really likes John Skelton and I wouldn't be surprised if he's the quarterback that the Bills go with in this draft if they don't make a trade for Jason Campbell or someone else before April 22.

However while alot of people think he's a mid-to-late round sleeper, I dont see him geting out of the third round.

patmoran2006
04-12-2010, 08:25 AM
I also heard nearly two months ago he liked Jevon Snead, but to be honest I havent heard his name even mentioned in a long time.

I dont know if he's fallen off, or if he's just going very under the radar.

Night Train
04-12-2010, 08:37 AM
QB's will be picked far higher than they should be in this draft.

The group as a whole is extremely subpar.

Mr. Miyagi
04-12-2010, 08:56 AM
We need to fork over a 5th and Fitz for Jason Campbell, draft Skelton and let him, Edwards, and Brohm duke it out for the 2 spots in TC.

WeAreArthurMoates
04-12-2010, 09:04 AM
I reported on this back in February and Im still hearing the same thing. Buddy Nix really likes John Skelton and I wouldn't be surprised if he's the quarterback that the Bills go with in this draft if they don't make a trade for Jason Campbell or someone else before April 22.

However while alot of people think he's a mid-to-late round sleeper, I dont see him geting out of the third round.

I absolutely love Skelton and have for two months. I think the fact we were only one 6 teams at his pro day (only Cortez was there) and then immediatly had him in for a visit is telling. He's everything you want in a Buffalo qb plus surprising athletecism. I think we gotta take him in the 3rd if we want him, frankly I don't have a problem with that. He's the most intriguing qb prospect in the draft not from FU, Texas, ND or Oklahoma.

SirMcGee
04-12-2010, 09:07 AM
Yea...I'll pass on Skelton.

Jeff1220
04-12-2010, 09:15 AM
Can't argue that he lacks intellect:
http://www.luminarium.org/renlit/skelbio.htm

WeAreArthurMoates
04-12-2010, 09:25 AM
Can't argue that he lacks intellect:
http://www.luminarium.org/renlit/skelbio.htm

very nice

ddaryl
04-12-2010, 09:28 AM
I think a mid to late rd QB is what the Bills should do this year. Concentrate the rest of the draft on the trenches and LB'ers...

Evaluate the QB position in 2010 and then like I've said a few times... make your big move for a franchise QB in 2011

Jeff1220
04-12-2010, 09:28 AM
On a more serious note, I wouldn't be surprised if Houston shows interest in Skelton since this guy (http://www.texasenergyservice.com/javier_loya/loya_houston_texans.html) is Skelton's uncle.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=81197&draftyear=2010&genpos=qb

ZAZusmc03
04-12-2010, 09:30 AM
good article from the rumblings about Bills leaning toward developemental QB this year. Tebow at the top with Skelton at #2

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2010/4/12/1416745/bills-could-be-leaning-toward

justasportsfan
04-12-2010, 10:02 AM
I think the fact we were only one 6 teams at his pro day (only Cortez was there) and then immediatly had him in for a visit is telling. .

The same thing happened with Claussen.

I think we could end up with Skelton however. Almost all qb's in this draft are going to be projects anyways. IMO Cortez was brought in since he has experience developing players in a league (CFL) that tends to throw a lot. So I think NIx will be looking for a qb that has an arm.

BuffaloBlitz83
04-12-2010, 10:07 AM
Small Hands sorry lol

Ed
04-12-2010, 10:10 AM
I would much rather have Skelton in the 3rd or 4th then Tebow in the 2nd.

methos4ever
04-12-2010, 10:11 AM
Small Hands sorry lol
9 3/4 isn't small. That's almost another inch around either side of the football compared to Clausen. Now, Clausen can run a pro offense light years better than him out of the box so to speak, but the hands are important.

BuffaloBlitz83
04-12-2010, 10:12 AM
10 Inch or higher

tampabay25690
04-12-2010, 10:13 AM

I said this 2 weeks ago.
I do no for sure that he had a private workout for the BILLS and NO one had a clue that he was in Buffalo. He will be drafted before the 3rd round ends and I wouldn't be surprised at all if he is gone before that.
Gailey really likes the guy....

WeAreArthurMoates
04-12-2010, 10:13 AM

As would I. Crazy how a kid in a sub division of college football will take less time to develop than a kid playing in the best college football conference.

tampabay25690
04-12-2010, 10:14 AM
Yea...I'll pass on Skelton.

For what reason?
No u know anything about the guy or have you ever even seen him play??

madness
04-12-2010, 10:29 AM

I'd rather have Hiller in the 5th or 6th than Tebow in the 2nd or Skelton in the 3rd or 4th.

Skelton looks to be an INT machine at the NFL level. He has an inconsistent spiral, doesn't look off safeties or corners and trusts his arm strength so much that he tends to throw off his back foot while throwing into traffic.

EDS
04-12-2010, 10:32 AM
I absolutely love Skelton and have for two months. I think the fact we were only one 6 teams at his pro day (only Cortez was there) and then immediatly had him in for a visit is telling. He's everything you want in a Buffalo qb plus surprising athletecism. I think we gotta take him in the 3rd if we want him, frankly I don't have a problem with that. He's the most intriguing qb prospect in the draft not from FU, Texas, ND or Oklahoma.

Have you seen him play?

WeAreArthurMoates
04-12-2010, 11:04 AM
Have you seen him play?

Unfortuantly only highlights. I just love everything I read on this kid from highschool up.

Yasgur's Farm
04-12-2010, 11:07 AM
We need to fork over a 5th and Fitz for Jason Campbell, draft Skelton and let him, Edwards, and Brohm duke it out for the 2 spots in TC.Campbell should start
Brohm should back him up
Rookie QB sits even if it's Clausen

ddaryl
04-12-2010, 11:12 AM
Small Hands sorry lol

I actually find the hand size measurement ot be very intruiging in regards to deciding on which QB to draft.

Skeltons 9 3/4 inch hands are over the 9.5" threshold

Personally I think 9.5" hands are a minimal attribute, and anything less then 9,5" is a bit of a liability that must be considered.

Tebow has the largest hand of QB's in this draft at 10 1/8 " which would be a huge advantage for a Bills QB to grab and hold a rock hard football in the freezing late Nov Dec and Jan temps.

The bigger the paw the better the grip

DraftBoy
04-12-2010, 11:17 AM
I have an interview today with John Skelton, funny this thread popped up and then the confirmation through his agent that the Q&A would be today.

Ill post it when its published!

BuffaloBlitz83
04-12-2010, 11:19 AM
For what reason?
No u know anything about the guy or have you ever even seen him play??

Extremely Ugly mechanics, some of the worst footwork I've ever seen, little to no pocket presence. McShay went on and on about how scouts and coaches question his work ethic, question his film study or lack thereof. He's a 5th or 6th Rder.

BuffaloBlitz83
04-12-2010, 11:29 AM
He doesn't look good at all in this game tape of his passes.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0rLFMxmEbno&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0rLFMxmEbno&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

DraftBoy
04-12-2010, 11:33 AM
Not sure what you're watching, some of those early throws he short armed, but on the 25 yard skinny post to Blair White he showed great throwing mechanics. His feet need some work, but his delivery is decent, maybe a little long.

justasportsfan
04-12-2010, 11:42 AM
is he a better potential than Thigpen coming out of college?

DraftBoy
04-12-2010, 11:45 AM
is he a better potential than Thigpen coming out of college?

Yes by far.

BuffaloBlitz83
04-12-2010, 11:47 AM
Not sure what you're watching, some of those early throws he short armed, but on the 25 yard skinny post to Blair White he showed great throwing mechanics. His feet need some work, but his delivery is decent, maybe a little long.

The overthrow to the 6-10 TE was terrible too.

DraftBoy
04-12-2010, 11:51 AM

Im not saying he doesnt make bad throws, if he made every throw he wouldnt be seen as a developmental pick.

WeAreArthurMoates
04-12-2010, 12:01 PM
Extremely Ugly mechanics, some of the worst footwork I've ever seen, little to no pocket presence. McShay went on and on about how scouts and coaches question his work ethic, question his film study or lack thereof. He's a 5th or 6th Rder.

Well first of all McShay knows no more than you or I. This was proven when scouts called him out. Everything I've read on Skelton has been how good his work ethic, film room has been.

WeAreArthurMoates
04-12-2010, 12:04 PM

An athletic tightend like Nelson would of caught that, White was lumbering up and down the field.

justasportsfan
04-12-2010, 12:47 PM
Skelton believes he has what it takes.

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-3/Draft-Profile-QB-Skelton-believes-he-has-what-it-takes/678ba6bb-b96b-4405-b057-da49a8b6d31d

KIper on Skelton
http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2010/04/12/kiper-on-qb-skelton/

SirMcGee
04-12-2010, 01:04 PM
A bunch of you've never seen or even heard of this guy til the offseason and you're all experts on this guy.

Keep drooling over his size and youtube highlights.

TacklingDummy
04-12-2010, 01:11 PM
My sources have told me the Bills have no plans for Campbell or Skelton.

ddaryl
04-12-2010, 01:39 PM
An athletic tightend like Nelson would of caught that, White was lumbering up and down the field.

that ball was actulally placed quite nicely IMO. it was just outside the defenders grasp... and it was leading the TE.

WeAreArthurMoates
04-12-2010, 01:54 PM
that ball was actulally placed quite nicely IMO. it was just outside the defenders grasp... and it was leading the TE.

I agree.

gonzo1105
04-12-2010, 02:02 PM
I mean he looks the part of an NFL QB, but his footwork looks bad and his inconsistencies are what are holding teams back on him. I watched the Shrine Video just posted(Shrine game also doesn't boast the top quality draft talent) and that video did nothing to quell me about his inconsistent play. He looks good on certain plays, looks bad on others. The fact he didn't dominate his competition at 1-AA also worries me. To be fair, you also dont get a lot of timing with these WR's at the all-star games so that might be why timing looked off.

DraftBoy
04-12-2010, 02:10 PM
A bunch of you've never seen or even heard of this guy til the offseason and you're all experts on this guy.

Keep drooling over his size and youtube highlights.

I have seen him play about 5 games now, still working on number 6 video.

Ill be sure to mention to him this afternoon that all the "experts" don't know anything about him. :up:

DraftBoy
04-12-2010, 05:46 PM
Just finished my interview with John Skelton, quite impressed with him as a young man.

Really liked some of his answers, glad I got a chance to interview him. It should be up sometime in the next 72 hours.

WeAreArthurMoates
04-12-2010, 09:29 PM
Just finished my interview with John Skelton, quite impressed with him as a young man.

Really liked some of his answers, glad I got a chance to interview him. It should be up sometime in the next 72 hours.

Awesome DB, if we don't come away with Clausen, this is the guy I want. Even if its in the 3rd.

BertSquirtgum
04-12-2010, 11:45 PM
i'd rather have tony pike

jamze132
04-13-2010, 02:47 AM

72, wtf? Quit your day job and entertain us!

BuffaloBlakely14
04-13-2010, 06:58 AM
I cant wait to read the interview and get DB's final assessment of Skelton. I am starting to think more and more this is the way we go. That way we can go OL, DL and maybe Skelton, even WR or RB become a possibility as well.

DB are you thinking Skelton goes late 2nd now?

His arm strength is ridiculous, and he seems athletic as hell. I think almost anyone has to be able to read the writing on the wall. He is a 4 year starter (against lesser competition no doubt, but Flacco and Big Ben didn't face the toughest comp either), with one of the strongest arms in the draft, and he can make plays with his feet. So to recap Nix wants a QB who wasn't a one year wonder, has to the arm to combat B-Lo and Gailey wants someone who can make something happen with his feet. Sounds almost like they were building Skelton in a lab.

Obviously he is going to need 2 years probably minimum to learn to read defenses and to totally grasp an NFL offense, but Nix and Gailey have been preparing us for this when they talk about how we aren't turning this around in 1 offseason, but that they are building for the long term.

madness
04-13-2010, 08:29 AM
Oh my, it's Dan Le'fever' all over again. :puke: