PDA

View Full Version : Campbell = Transition QB.. & That's Fine

Night Train
04-13-2010, 05:32 AM
Campbell may cost the Bills 4th-5th round pick and has a 1 year contract. Big deal. He'd still be 5 times better than anyone currently on our roster and he's a bargain.

The Bills can always go into the next off-season and sign a UFA or draft a QB. This years Draft class of QB's is terrible. Concentrate on other positions of need.

Just because some people would like to see Campbell brought in doesn't mean they view him as the long-term answer at QB.

It means Trentative isn't under Center and Moorman isn't our MVP again. We may actually see a pass longer than 6 yards and score points.

clumping platelets
04-13-2010, 05:42 AM
I would love for the Bills to trade for Campbell............5th or 6th rd pick and Youboty.......then we can go OT or DL at #9 and then draft a young developmental QB in the 3rd or 4th rd. :nod:

elltrain22
04-13-2010, 05:49 AM
I love that nickname!! Trentative!! Perfect!!

TacklingDummy
04-13-2010, 05:56 AM
Did people take a NUTS pill around here?

TMu11
04-13-2010, 06:44 AM
Campbell may cost the Bills 4th-5th round pick and has a 1 year contract. Big deal. He'd still be 5 times better than anyone currently on our roster and he's a bargain.

The Bills can always go into the next off-season and sign a UFA or draft a QB. This years Draft class of QB's is terrible. Concentrate on other positions of need.

Just because some people would like to see Campbell brought in doesn't mean they view him as the long-term answer at QB.

It means Trentative isn't under Center and Moorman isn't our MVP again. We may actually see a pass longer than 6 yards and score points.

That's what I've been saying the whole time. We desperately need a stop-gap QB. I'd rather Campbell than the Captain.

jamze132
04-13-2010, 06:56 AM
Did people take a NUTS pill around here?

3000+ yds
20 TDs

Increased improvement each year in the NFL. What is wrong with this guy holding the torch until it can be passed next year?

TacklingDummy
04-13-2010, 07:05 AM
3000+ yds
20 TDs

Increased improvement each year in the NFL. What is wrong with this guy holding the torch until it can be passed next year?
Why did Washington replace him?

All the guy does is checkdown. You would think being Buffalo fans and having to deal with Captain Checkdown Trent Edwards that we wouldn't want to replace him with Commander Checkdown Jason Campbell.

ddaryl
04-13-2010, 07:24 AM
I would love for the Bills to trade for Campbell............5th or 6th rd pick and Youboty.......then we can go OT or DL at #9 and then draft a young developmental QB in the 3rd or 4th rd. :nod:

I'd rather skip the developemental QB route and just wait till 2011 and make a big move to get a franchise arm

TedMock
04-13-2010, 08:04 AM
I'm not huge on Campbell, but I don't think he's a bad as some do either. I don't look at Washington signing McNabb as a total knock on Campbell either. Campbell is absolutely not an ideal fit for Shanahan's offense. Shanahan wants his guys and wants a QB that fits his system. A rookie is going to give you aches and pains, so a veteran built for your system is going to get you off to the best start. Shanahan and Reid come from the same tree, run similar systems, and most likely use similar terminology. The transition won't really be there for McNabb and McNabb just fits better. Campbell obviously understands the system (Zorn by way of Holmgren), but he's a big bodied, big armed, QB with a longer delivery who had success, but never really fit in that short passing attack. I am actually impressed that he even produced considering the weapons are by far worse than what we have - and that's bad. Their line was about as bad as I've ever seen. Their leading rusher had fewer than 500 yards, his back-up had 228 and they had a combined 1 rushing TD between the two of them. The top 2 WR's led the team in catches, but 1 had 70 and the next was 20 fewer with 50. Randel-El was the number 2 receiver. Also, not a good sign. Promising young TE, Fred Davis, was third, but also led the team in TD's with 6 and the starting TE, Cooley, was 4th even though he only played 7 games. The RB's were no help out of the backfield as the number 2 back led all RB's with 27 catches. The, to date, very disappointing young WR draft picks of Malcolm Kelly and Devon Thomas had 25 grabs each. Hardy came out of that draft and has been even less productive, of course he had a nasty injury and we'll really see this year whether he's a player. Keep your fingers crossed, but don't hold your breath. Campbell was 15th in yards per attempt, 17th in yards per pass, and 15th in pass plays over 20 yards, so, overall, he was right in the middle of the pack in these categories. Ryan Fitzpatrick was our long ball threat and he ranked 30th in 20+ yard pass plays. Campbell was also 3rd in the NFL with 43 sacks and 3rd with a 7.8% sacked rate. Not much was attributed to him holding the ball too long versus his awful offensive line. Ben Roethlisberger and Aaron Rodgers were 1 and 2 in these categories which makes their accomplishments all the more impressive. Campbell also had a 111 rating inside his opponents 20 yard line, a 103 inside the 10 and was 8th in TD's/attempt inside the 10. He was productive in the rare instances that he was in enemy territory. Basically, what all these random numbers and my own unfortunate luck of watching a lot of Skins games here in the DC area tell me is that Campbell is an average QB with above average skill set who is inconsistent, but performs best when he smells blood. He is absolutely and upgrade over what we have. A big upgrade, actually. He is absolutely not a savior either.

justasportsfan
04-13-2010, 10:01 AM

He's not a WCO Qb?

All the guy does is checkdown. You would think being Buffalo fans and having to deal with Captain Checkdown Trent Edwards that we wouldn't want to replace him with Commander Checkdown Jason Campbell.He had nothing but a small wr as his no 1. That wr. had more yards than TO and Lee.

TMu11
04-13-2010, 12:16 PM

All the guy does is checkdown. You would think being Buffalo fans and having to deal with Captain Checkdown Trent Edwards that we wouldn't want to replace him with Commander Checkdown Jason Campbell.
In the Navy a Commander is Outranked by a Captain.

Therefore: Edwards is more of a checkdown than Campbell
Therefore: Better for the Bills

jamze132
04-14-2010, 01:44 AM

3000 yds, 20 TDs.