PDA

View Full Version : Sabres must be better than average

Dr. Lecter
04-13-2010, 08:18 AM
Back in 1998, on the eve of a second-round playoff series between the Sabres and Canadiens, a Montreal player uttered a phrase that has lived on in infamy, referring to the Sabres as an "average team with a great goalie."

Martin Rucinsky was referring to his countryman, Dominik Hasek, who was at his competitive peak and had led the Czech Republic to Olympic gold a few months before. Rucinsky meant it more as an homage to Hasek than an insult to the opposition. But the '98 Sabres took it to heart and swept the Canadiens.

A dozen springs later, we've come full circle. The Sabres have a goalie, Ryan Miller, who was an Olympic hero, albeit a silver medalist. They won their division. But skepticism is echoing through the NHL. Are they really that good? Or have they simply been riding Miller?

Fair or not, the perceptions are there. The Sabres, who begin the playoffs here Thursday night against the Boston Bruins, are the chic "3" seed perceived as ripe for an upset. The question is whether this Buffalo team will rise up and prove the critics wrong.

"Oh, I think you always have to prove yourself," coach Lindy Ruff said Monday. "I think they may say that about the Bruins right now because of where their goaltending is at. I think sometimes there's jealousy. I'd like our goaltender's stats to be the best in the playoffs. They can say we're a goaltender-driven team again."

Ruff has a point. The Bruins' rookie goalie, Tuukka Rask, has better numbers than Miller, though he started 29 fewer games. Rask leads the NHL in goals-against (1.97) and save percentage (.931). Miller is second at 2.22 and .929.
The Bruins finished last in the league in goals. They don't have anyone with more than 52 points. Mark Recchi, who was on that '98 Canadiens team, is a vital Bruins forward at age 42. For God's sake, Miroslav Satan is an indispensable part, averaging nearly 20 minutes a game of late.

So if anyone is guilty of riding a goalie, it's the Bruins. Of course, they did win four of six against the Sabres this season. They've allowed the fewest road goals of any team in the NHL, and only Washington has a better road record in the East. So, this being the Stanley Cup playoffs, there's plenty for Buffalo fans to anguish about.

http://www.buffalonews.com/2010/04/12/1017409/sullivan-sabres-must-be-better.html

SabreEleven
04-13-2010, 08:32 AM
I have a feeling Rask is going to steal this series.

ddaryl
04-13-2010, 08:39 AM
we're going to find out one way or another... but I still feel this team is a couple of key players away from being a real playoff contender

trapezeus
04-13-2010, 08:50 AM
Sullivan really nails what is needed for playoff hockey. "don't be average". Great! i'm sure that will be part of Ruff's final speech before game 1.

"I got nothing guys, but try not to suck, and let's not be average. Go out there and get them."