PDA

View Full Version : Three names to remember on Draft Day

Bmax
04-14-2010, 07:50 PM
1. CJ Spiller-RB Clemson
2. Dan Williams-DT Tenn
3. Terrance Cody-DT Bama Trade down for extra second...

No QB or OT until rd 2 or 3..

Bmax...

Kenny
04-14-2010, 08:13 PM
no thanks on Spiller.... just dont see a RB making much of a difference without much of a line to help him out.

But assuming Okung, Bulaga, T. Williams, Suh, McCoy, and Bradford are all gone... I'd love to grab Dan Williams... or trade down if possible

SirMcGee
04-14-2010, 08:57 PM
no thanks on Spiller.... just dont see a RB making much of a difference without much of a line to help him out.

But assuming Okung, Bulaga, T. Williams, Suh, McCoy, and Bradford are all gone... I'd love to grab Dan Williams... or trade down if possible

The words of a wise man.

Dr. Lecter should take notes

Philagape
04-14-2010, 10:15 PM

So because the Bills might not have a good line THIS YEAR, they should pass on a player's potential CAREER.

That's not how the draft works.

This is what I was talking about here ...
http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=190464

alohabillsfan
04-15-2010, 04:48 AM
I just dont see the value of first round RB's. They take a pounding, last 4 or 5 years, body br eaks down and your looking for a replacement. RB's can be found in later rounds. We need a 1st round pick that will be a impact starter for 8 plus years!
QB
OT
DT
DE

I would add Center and LB to the list but not at 9, just my thoughts! Whitner at 8 has really paid off!

Night Train
04-15-2010, 05:26 AM
Cody may eat his way out of the league.

Ted Washington was huge but a brick ****house in the chest,legs & arms. Cody is flabby everywhere and looks like he'll be gassed by the end of the first quarter. I saw the Tenny game also, where he blocked the 2 kicks. That doesn't equal a 16 game season.

Another project/potential boom or bust guy. I've had it with that ilk.

Kenny
04-15-2010, 07:24 AM
I just dont see the value of first round RB's. They take a pounding, last 4 or 5 years, body br eaks down and your looking for a replacement. RB's can be found in later rounds. We need a 1st round pick that will be a impact starter for 8 plus years!
QB
OT
DT
DE

I would add Center and LB to the list but not at 9, just my thoughts! Whitner at 8 has really paid off!

Exactly my thinking...

Plus, for those thinking a Chris Johnson type of player would help us win... The Titans didnt start winning until VY stepped in.

If we cant find a franchise QB or LT early in this draft, we need to find a NT. RB is a luxury pick we simply dont have to waste.

TheGhostofJimKelly
04-15-2010, 07:26 AM
Three names I don't want to hear out of Buddy Nix on draft day.

Night Train
04-15-2010, 08:46 AM
Spliier or Dan Williams would be fine by me. They would make an impact.

Mahdi
04-15-2010, 09:07 AM

what do you mean by "much of a line"?

We signed Hangartner last offseason who turned out well, drafted our RG with our first round pick, drafted a LG with our second round pick and just recently signed a run blocking RT.

So I think yer statement about the OL is a bit extreme. We are only missing 1 position and that is not a deterrent to drafting possibly the top playmaker in the draft.

Mahdi
04-15-2010, 09:09 AM
1. CJ Spiller-RB Clemson
2. Dan Williams-DT Tenn
3. Terrance Cody-DT Bama Trade down for extra second...

No QB or OT until rd 2 or 3..

Bmax...
Don't like the idea of a plugger with our first round pick.

ct bills fan
04-15-2010, 09:26 AM
Dan Williams will not be it. One year track record and that goes against everything Nix has preached.

Dicknoze69
04-15-2010, 09:34 AM
Dan Williams will not be it. One year track record and that goes against everything Nix has preached.

Williams played in 6 games in 2006. Then Dan Williams started 10 of 14 games in 2007 and had 40 tackles. He started 9 of 12 games in 2008 and had 48 tackles. Then obviously he really exploded onto the scene this year with 62 tackles in 12 games.

I wouldn't call him a "one-year wonder" since he played four years at Tennessee. He was pretty clearly under the radar until this season, but to call him a one year wonder isn't really accurate.

ct bills fan
04-15-2010, 09:51 AM
He was considered a mid to late round pick heading into his senior year. Granted, he had a great senior year, but, after what nix/modrik said (especially about how they wouldn't have drafted Maybin) I don't see them taking him. If so, they know a hell of a lot more than me, but, from everything they've said, I think they go will a guy that has been top tier for 3-4 years.

Dicknoze69
04-15-2010, 09:54 AM
He was considered a mid to late round pick heading into his senior year. Granted, he had a great senior year, but, after what nix/modrik said (especially about how they wouldn't have drafted Maybin) I don't see them taking him. If so, they know a hell of a lot more than me, but, from everything they've said, I think they go will a guy that has been top tier for 3-4 years.

I know what he was considered prior to this season; he was under the radar and a monster senior year propped him up. I was merely pointing out that he did have year-to-year production and wasn't a "one year wonder" like Maybin. The two extra years of production that Williams had is the difference between drafting a red shirt sophomore like Maybin and a red shirt senior like Williams.

DraftBoy
04-15-2010, 10:22 AM
He was a 2nd to 3rd pick heading into this year. Anybody who had him lower didn't watch his Junior year.

ct bills fan
04-15-2010, 10:33 AM
okay - let's see if he's our pick then

ct bills fan
04-15-2010, 10:34 AM
2nd or 3rd round pick to 9th overall is a nice jump.

DraftBoy
04-15-2010, 10:38 AM
2nd or 3rd round pick to 9th overall is a nice jump.

Not unheard of and certainly smaller than the late round pick to #9 overall you were saying before.

madness
04-15-2010, 11:33 AM

09' Fred Jackson

Kenny
04-15-2010, 01:43 PM
09' Fred Jackson

yeah... and our offense was amazing wasnt it? We scored points like no one's business. Heck, Im not even sure we need to go offense this draft cause we were soooo good last year. (end sarcasm).

Runningbacks wont win us games.

madness
04-15-2010, 02:05 PM
yeah... and our offense was amazing wasnt it? We scored points like no one's business. Heck, Im not even sure we need to go offense this draft cause we were soooo good last year. (end sarcasm).

Runningbacks wont win us games.

FJ led the league in all-purpose yards last year. He practically was the whole damn offense.

The offense will be geared toward the run this year. In order for that to succeed you need a back than can turn the corner and outrun the second level and a back that can move the pile at the GL. We didn't have either of those backs last year.

Kenny
04-15-2010, 02:16 PM
FJ led the league in all-purpose yards last year. He practically was the whole damn offense.

The offense will be geared toward the run this year. In order for that to succeed you need a back than can turn the corner and outrun the second level and a back that can move the pile at the GL. We didn't have either of those backs last year.

so using the #9 overall on a running back to supplement Jackson is going to make a difference?
As you mentioned, Jackson led the league in all-purpose yards. He was our entire offense. He did phenomenal.

So adding another running back is all of a sudden going to improve our offense and win us games? (at the cost of getting a LT, a QB, or solidifying our defense?)?

Mahdi
04-15-2010, 02:24 PM
so using the #9 overall on a running back to supplement Jackson is going to make a difference?
As you mentioned, Jackson led the league in all-purpose yards. He was our entire offense. He did phenomenal.

So adding another running back is all of a sudden going to improve our offense and win us games? (at the cost of getting a LT, a QB, or solidifying our defense?)?
Yes. We were competitive in most games, the problem was that although FJ was our whole offense, that offense stalled as we approached the redzone frequently. If we can get a guy that can shorten the field for us a bit and break off longer runs with speed and skill then we can score more points. One long run from a RB can lead to the 3 points we needed to win a couple games last year. Or even a long TD run instead of having to smash all the way through the redzone which rarely works.

Kenny
04-15-2010, 02:35 PM
Yes. We were competitive in most games, the problem was that although FJ was our whole offense, that offense stalled as we approached the redzone frequently. If we can get a guy that can shorten the field for us a bit and break off longer runs with speed and skill then we can score more points. One long run from a RB can lead to the 3 points we needed to win a couple games last year. Or even a long TD run instead of having to smash all the way through the redzone which rarely works.

That's where we disagree then. Im not going to debate whether this was a competitive team last year, -but I dont think anyone here is going to argue that our offense was one of the worst in the league.

If we were competitive in most games, it was because our defense kept us in games inspite of our anemic offense.
I just dont like the idea of improving a position where we dont have a hole in, -at the cost of not improving obvious needs (LT, QB, DT, LB, etc...).

Im going to keep going back to the Tennessee example. Sure Chris Johnson was a superstar, -one the best offensive weapons in the league. But it wasnt until VY stepped in that the team became competitive and won games.
Going for Spiller will just lead to another year of nothing more than 3 and outs and 3 points... neither will help us win games.

Mahdi
04-15-2010, 02:40 PM
That's where we disagree then. Im not going to debate whether this was a competitive team last year, -but I dont think anyone here is going to argue that our offense was one of the worst in the league.

If we were competitive in most games, it was because our defense kept us in games inspite of our anemic offense.
I just dont like the idea of improving a position where we dont have a hole in, -at the cost of not improving obvious needs (LT, QB, DT, LB, etc...).

Im going to keep going back to the Tennessee example. Sure Chris Johnson was a superstar, -one the best offensive weapons in the league. But it wasnt until VY stepped in that the team became competitive and won games.
Going for Spiller will just lead to another year of nothing more than 3 and outs and 3 points... neither will help us win games.
I agree that our offense was anemic. But the main reason for that is that we don't have a playmaker on offense. Everyone is 1 dimensional. Evans is a deep threat only, Jackson is a between the tackles runner only, Fitz and Trent are short throwers only.

So the goal for the #9 overall pick IMO, should be to get a playmaker on offense. Someone that adds explosiveness and the ability to score from anywhere on the field. Someone that can get 20-40 yard gains.

IMO, Bryant and Spiller give our offense some life. If the QB we want isn't there @ 9 one of those 2 guys will help out the QB we take later on or will help out Brian Brohm.

ZAZusmc03
04-15-2010, 10:22 PM
I agree that our offense was anemic. But the main reason for that is that we don't have a playmaker on offense. Everyone is 1 dimensional. Evans is a deep threat only, Jackson is a between the tackles runner only, Fitz and Trent are short throwers only.

So the goal for the #9 overall pick IMO, should be to get a playmaker on offense. Someone that adds explosiveness and the ability to score from anywhere on the field. Someone that can get 20-40 yard gains.

IMO, Bryant and Spiller give our offense some life. If the QB we want isn't there @ 9 one of those 2 guys will help out the QB we take later on or will help out Brian Brohm.

I agree 100%. I don't believe for one minute that the Bills will take a 3/4 best OT when there are serious playmakers still available. I think they will choose whoever they feel is the biggest game-changer. And that very well couild be Spiller or Bryant at number 9.