PDA

View Full Version : Jimmy Clausen Is Too Good To Pass Up

Bills Juggernaut
04-15-2010, 08:38 AM
Now I'm not one of these guys that come on here and spout off like this very often. I just want to get this out there because I feel so strongly about it.

I really do feel that if we pass on Jimmy Clausen at 9, we will be making a mistake that will set this franchise back a few more years. I think this kid will be that good.

This kid can make all the throws. He has gotten better evry year he played by leaps and bounds. He has above average arm strength. He played behind a poor offensive line all three years and a terrible running game to take some of the pressure off. 28TD's to 4Ints (three of which were tipped or fluke plays).

Take a look at the 2 videos below. Mind you that in most of the video, he is playing with torn tendons in his big toe.

Look how often the throw gets to the WR instride, as compared to McCoy who is supposed to be very accurate. Look at the throws he makes while on the move (how he squares his shoulders and fires the ball with high velocity). His deep ball had a very high arc, and that was coached to him by Charlie Wies as a way to give his very good WR's a jump ball oppertunity. Look his mechanics. Look how accurate he throws the outs, slants, and deep outs.

I don't know, if I'm wrong, tell me where I'm wrong. I'm just asking some of you out there to look at the videos with an open mind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUpkttWewhI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRgGpMhNb4E&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdLvtOxK5Ws

jamze132
04-15-2010, 09:15 AM
:sigh:

The King
04-15-2010, 09:17 AM
I feel like I disagree with you.

ct bills fan
04-15-2010, 09:25 AM
I don't think we take him because (a) his hands are too small (9") and (b) I don't think Nix/Gailey are enamored with him. I don't usually care too much about measurables, but the two I pay attention to are; short arms are deadly for a LT prospect and small hands are killer for a QB in Buffalo.

My gut is that the Bills take Spiller at 9, trade Lynch for a 3rd and trade back into the late 1st (with their 2nd and one of their thirds) to grab Tebow. Gailey loves athletic qb's and will install a spread offense around Tebow. Tebow, Jackson and Spiller in the backfield combined with Evans, and Parrish (who could thrive in the spread) would at least be interesting.

This doesn't solve the NT issue and the LT issue, but, one can't solve everything at once. With the 3rd round pick, they'd take the best OT/NT available. There are still decent stop gap LT's available in free agency and Nix seems to like Bell.

DBrown77
04-15-2010, 09:30 AM
Gruden thinks he has leadership issues too from what i hear

TedMock
04-15-2010, 10:43 AM
Now I'm not one of these guys that come on here and spout off like this very often. I just want to get this out there because I feel so strongly about it.

I really do feel that if we pass on Jimmy Clausen at 9, we will be making a mistake that will set this franchise back a few more years. I think this kid will be that good.

This kid can make all the throws. He has gotten better evry year he played by leaps and bounds. He has above average arm strength. He played behind a poor offensive line all three years and a terrible running game to take some of the pressure off. 28TD's to 4Ints (three of which were tipped or fluke plays).

Take a look at the 2 videos below. Mind you that in most of the video, he is playing with torn tendons in his big toe.

Look how often the throw gets to the WR instride, as compared to McCoy who is supposed to be very accurate. Look at the throws he makes while on the move (how he squares his shoulders and fires the ball with high velocity). His deep ball had a very high arc, and that was coached to him by Charlie Wies as a way to give his very good WR's a jump ball oppertunity. Look his mechanics. Look how accurate he throws the outs, slants, and deep outs.

I don't know, if I'm wrong, tell me where I'm wrong. I'm just asking some of you out there to look at the videos with an open mind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUpkttWewhI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRgGpMhNb4E&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdLvtOxK5Ws

I feel like I have watched him ad nauseum at this point, but I respect your opinion here. One thing you said that intrigued me was that Weis taught him to loft the ball on deep routes. I have not heard that and the fact that his deep balls seem to take forever is a big concern to me. Accuracy is there though, but NFL DB's will pick off most of these if he continues that trend. His short game is good, but I think his medium range passes need a good amount of work. The touch/zip just isn't consistent there, in my opinion. I see him as a late first rounder, but I am not claiming to be an NFL scout either. He's certainly better than the D2 & D3 guys I usually see.

Lone Stranger
04-15-2010, 10:46 AM
No.

Night Train
04-15-2010, 10:59 AM
Clausen = J.P. Version 2.0

madness
04-15-2010, 11:41 AM
Weis is the main reason Clausen is more NFL ready than the others. I think if Weis had Bradford, heck, even Tebow (the anti-Clausen) and Clausen came from another program... nobody would even be talking about him.

I honestly wouldn't mind the pick but I get a weird feeling that if Clausen was a credit card, he'd be near maxed out.

Novacane
04-15-2010, 12:02 PM
I really do feel that if we pass on Jimmy Clausen at 9, we will be making a mistake that will set this franchise back a few more years.

I respect your opinion but I feel the exact oposite. I think taking Clausen would set us back a few years

The Natrix
04-15-2010, 12:55 PM
Clausen wll bust, without a doubt. I'll be pissed for weeks if they take him.

Luisito23
04-15-2010, 12:57 PM
I think taking Clausen would set us back a few years

Aaah, what's another decade?

ddaryl
04-15-2010, 12:57 PM
I don't think any QB after Bradford is worth it for the Bills, and we should start planning for 2011 where there will be a better selection of QB's IMO

Worry about the trenches in this draft that is deep in OL and DL sprinkle in a LB or 2...

but find away to stock pile a pcik or 2 in 2011 and then use whatever ammunition we have ot make a play for a 2011 franchise QB...INCLUDING using our 2012 1st rd draft pick to help move up.

But Clausen I agree would set us back not propel us forward

Jeff1220
04-15-2010, 01:01 PM
The Bills might not get the chance to pick Clausen, making passing on him a moot point.

OpIv37
04-15-2010, 01:06 PM
The Bills might not get the chance to pick Clausen, making passing on him a moot point.

That would be ideal.

I think there's about a 70% chance that Clausen will be a bust, a 25% chance that he'll be a dominant QB, and only about a 5% chance that he'll be one of those "caretaker" types who doesn't win games but doesn't really lose them either.

This is really a "boom or bust" type pick.

That being said, I really think that if he is still there at 9, he'll be the pick. I don't agree with it, but I have a feeling that's what Nix is planning.

ptd86
04-15-2010, 02:14 PM
Weis is the main reason Clausen is more NFL ready than the others. I think if Weis had Bradford, heck, even Tebow (the anti-Clausen) and Clausen came from another program... nobody would even be talking about him.

I honestly wouldn't mind the pick but I get a weird feeling that if Clausen was a credit card, he'd be near maxed out.

He was a huge recruit, people were calling him the lebron james of college football when he was getting recruited. This makes it sound like Weis made him, Clausen has always had a ton of talent

alohabillsfan
04-15-2010, 05:25 PM
Clausen is not gonna be a bust period.