PDA

View Full Version : So ****ing annoyed right now....

OpIv37
04-15-2010, 04:30 PM
with the NHL and their ****ty TV contract.

I called DirecTV, and they're still offering CI for the February 15 price of $80. I couldn't talk them down, despite the absolute insanity of not pro rating it. The next 3 Sabres games are on national TV so I can watch those, but for tonight, my choices are:

a) Pay DirecTV $80 for what might only amount to 1 game (if the series ends in 4)
b) use a semi-dependable bootleg Internet feed and hope it doesn't crash because too many people are using it (and be **** out of luck if it does).
c) go to a bar, spend money, and deal with douchebag Caps fans (and even bigger douchebags pretending to care about the Caps so they have an excuse to get drunk on a Thursday).

**** Gary Bettman and **** the NHL. They wonder why they're 4th out of the 4 major sports leagues? This is why. For an out of market regular season game, I could understand having to jump through hoops to see it. But there is absolutely no reason why EVERY playoff game shouldn't be televised nationally.

Novacane
04-15-2010, 04:47 PM
Did you mean 4th of the 4 teams sports cause Hockey is not a "major sport". Nascar and golf blow them away. I would not be suprised if bass fishing draws more veiwers.

rbochan
04-15-2010, 04:50 PM
:opiv:

Bufftp
04-15-2010, 04:54 PM
If
Op can't watch the game, hence we win, I applaud Bettman and the NHL tv contracts! ;)

OpIv37
04-15-2010, 04:54 PM
Did you mean 4th of the 4 teams sports cause Hockey is not a "major sport". Nascar and golf blow them away. I would not be suprised if bass fishing draws more veiwers.

of course it's not a major sport when ****ing Bettman can't even find a way to get playoff games nationally televised.

Electrici
04-15-2010, 04:59 PM
Gotta be a sports bar in town, somewhere. I'm lucky I have a sling box in Buffalo, so I'll be watching it on my laptop assuming VS. isn't going to cover an East Coast game. Worse comes to worse I would tune into 550 for Rick's call. Better than nothing, and probably better than watching VS anyhow :)

OpIv37
04-15-2010, 05:03 PM
Gotta be a sports bar in town, somewhere. I'm lucky I have a sling box in Buffalo, so I'll be watching it on my laptop assuming VS. isn't going to cover an East Coast game. Worse comes to worse I would tune into 550 for Rick's call. Better than nothing, and probably better than watching VS anyhow :)

Plenty of sports bars, but that requires spending money and dealing with obnoxious Caps fans since the Caps game is on at the same time.

Crisis
04-15-2010, 05:04 PM
i have to work tonight

Electrici
04-15-2010, 05:09 PM
Plenty of sports bars, but that requires spending money and dealing with obnoxious Caps fans since the Caps game is on at the same time.

Point taken. The game is on MSG network it looks anyhow, not VS. like I thought.

Ebenezer
04-15-2010, 05:16 PM
rant on...you have 43 minutes to go...

SkateZilla
04-15-2010, 05:32 PM
NHL GameCenter Live, Monthly Installments are $19.95 and you can prolly google Promo codes for discounts.

Buffalogic
04-15-2010, 05:41 PM
channelsurfing.net (http://www.channelsurfing.net/)

I live in Phx and that website let me watch ever sabres game all year check it out. And OP I think every other sabre game throughout the playoffs will be televised just not this one.

The Spaz
04-15-2010, 06:24 PM
channels getting taken down. Anyone here found another?

Buffalogic
04-15-2010, 06:32 PM
channels getting taken down. Anyone here found another??? im watching it now

OpIv37
04-15-2010, 09:34 PM
channels getting taken down. Anyone here found another?

that's what I was afraid of.

I can't comment on the game itself per my bet with Eb, but here's what happened:

I ended up going to Bugsys, and I sat next to a Bruins fan who turned out to be a pretty nice guy. He bought me a round and I returned the favor. Another Sabres fan joined us at the start of the 2nd, and a 3rd Sabres fan bought us a round as well. The bartender gave the Bruins fan a free shot of Jaeger when they lost.

The Caps fan douchebag factor was there, but not as bad as I thought it would be. And I only spent $36, which is pretty cheap for an Old Town Alexandria bar tab.

So, it worked out OK, but I'll be happy to watch the next 3 on my 50" screen with my surround sound, without having to pay for food or booze.

MikeInRoch
04-15-2010, 09:38 PM
Would probably have been even better if you had stayed long enough to see the Caps lose... :D

OpIv37
04-15-2010, 09:41 PM
Would probably have been even better if you had stayed long enough to see the Caps lose... :D

I heard it on XM on the drive home- I almost ran a red light when Montreal scored.

Nighthawk
04-15-2010, 09:46 PM
I heard it on XM on the drive home- I almost ran a red light when Montreal scored.

Why would run the light and risk getting killed? Then you wouldn't be able to rub it in to all the Caps fans when they lose to the 8 seed!

Dr. Lecter
04-15-2010, 09:52 PM
Why would run the light and risk getting killed? Then you wouldn't be able to rub it in to all the Caps fans when they lose to the 8 seed!

On the other hand, it would guarantee the Sabres the Cup!

trapezeus
04-15-2010, 10:41 PM
I was at a sabres bar for game. I got **** faced with a number of slug logo myer jersey kids with rick doing the play by play. fantastic. i would have enjoyed a 6-2 affair, but 2-1 works for me. sweep, sweep sweep, however, alcohol countn't make that second period disappear.

Bufftp
04-16-2010, 07:47 AM
On the other hand, it would guarantee the Sabres the Cup!
Sometimes sacrifices are necessary!

rbochan
04-16-2010, 07:51 AM
For facebook users, keep track here:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/TheBlaNetwork-TBN/226035428773

SabreEleven
04-16-2010, 10:24 AM
This Saturday's game is going to be my FIRST game in HD...Welcome to the 2000's....It will be the first time I've masturbated to a hockey game.

RockStar36
04-16-2010, 10:34 AM
This Saturday's game is going to be my FIRST game in HD...Welcome to the 2000's....It will be the first time I've masturbated to a hockey game.

First game ever? Or first this season?

Dr. Lecter
04-16-2010, 10:40 AM
I thought you did that everytime Connolly scored a goal?

SabreEleven
04-16-2010, 10:56 AM
First game ever? Or first this season?

first game EVER!!!

OpIv37
04-16-2010, 10:58 AM
first game EVER!!!
Welcome to 2006.

RockStar36
04-16-2010, 11:12 AM
Wow. Congrats.

You will NEVER want to watch hockey any other way again. I despise MSG and Time Warner for not giving me all CI games in HD because it's so awful once you've seen it in HD.

OpIv37
04-16-2010, 11:29 AM
Wow. Congrats.

You will NEVER want to watch hockey any other way again. I despise MSG and Time Warner for not giving me all CI games in HD because it's so awful once you've seen it in HD.

Last Sunday, for some reason my parents were getting the CI channels at their house. We were flipping between the Buf/NJ game (which wasn't in HD) and the Rangers/Flyers game (which was in HD).

So much stuff is in HD now that sometimes I forget how amazing it really is. That was a sufficient reminder.

RockStar36
04-16-2010, 11:33 AM
Last Sunday, for some reason my parents were getting the CI channels at their house. We were flipping between the Buf/NJ game (which wasn't in HD) and the Rangers/Flyers game (which was in HD).

So much stuff is in HD now that sometimes I forget how amazing it really is. That was a sufficient reminder.

Sometimes during NFL games I purposely flip between the HD and SD channel just to see how bad SD really is. It's a helpful reminder.

SabreEleven
04-16-2010, 11:36 AM
Wow. Congrats.

MSG better get the away games in HD next year for the Sabres.

I'm imagining that I might have to pick between hearing Rick or watching it in HD but with other announcers.

OpIv37
04-16-2010, 11:37 AM
And while we're *****ing about the NHL, that's another thing that's ****ing bush league. It's 2010. There is simply no reason why every game shouldn't be in HD. If a station doesn't have the capacity to handle it and won't make the investment, find one that will.

RockStar36
04-16-2010, 11:38 AM

I'm imagining that I might have to pick between hearing Rick or watching it in HD but with other announcers.

I had that dilemma several times this year and I picked HD. Even when it was the Boston feed. I can tune out ****ty announcers and HD makes that big of a difference.

OpIv37
04-16-2010, 11:38 AM

I've had that problem many, many times- usually I go with the HD.

They also have the radio broadcasts online on the Sabres website for free, but there tends to be a little bit of lag, so you'd have to use an HD-DVR to sync it up. I've never bothered to do it because I'm just too damn lazy.

SabreEleven
04-16-2010, 11:39 AM
And while we're *****ing about the NHL, that's another thing that's ****ing bush league. It's 2010. There is simply no reason why every game shouldn't be in HD. If a station doesn't have the capacity to handle it and won't make the investment, find one that will.

SabreEleven
04-16-2010, 11:39 AM

or use your announcers and someone's else feed since you are too cheap to bring your own HD camera's.

RockStar36
04-16-2010, 11:41 AM

They also have the radio broadcasts online on the Sabres website for free, but there tends to be a little bit of lag, so you'd have to use an HD-DVR to sync it up. I've never bothered to do it because I'm just too damn lazy.

I thought about syncing up RJ for tomorrow's game but I always get lag. I never thought about utilizing the DVR though, I might actually have to try that. Playoff games are so much better with him calling the action. Plus NBC is going to hammer the Miller/Olympics thing into the ground all afternoon.

OpIv37
04-16-2010, 11:47 AM
I thought about syncing up RJ for tomorrow's game but I always get lag. I never thought about utilizing the DVR though, I might actually have to try that. Playoff games are so much better with him calling the action. Plus NBC is going to hammer the Miller/Olympics thing into the ground all afternoon.

yeah, I have tickets to the Nationals game tomorrow so I'm going to have to watch it via DVR delay, so I won't have that option.

I may try it on Monday though. I can't stand Joe Benanati's nasally voice, although he might be doing the Caps local broadcast instead of the VS one.

SabreEleven
04-16-2010, 11:52 AM

I tried to do that a couple years ago and I'll get it right on but when they go to commercials or between periods, the game on the radio comes back later than TV so it never stays on time for me.

OpIv37
04-16-2010, 11:54 AM
I tried to do that a couple years ago and I'll get it right on but when they go to commercials or between periods, the game on the radio comes back later than TV so it never stays on time for me.

so you basically have to re-sync it after every commercial? Sounds like more of a pain in the ass than it's worth.

I think that I'll have to figure it out if the Sabres ever make it back to the Cup finals though. If they win it, I don't want to miss RJ's call. He'll probably have a heart attack.

RockStar36
04-16-2010, 11:55 AM
yeah, I have tickets to the Nationals game tomorrow so I'm going to have to watch it via DVR delay, so I won't have that option.

I may try it on Monday though. I can't stand Joe Benanati's nasally voice, although he might be doing the Caps local broadcast instead of the VS one.

Good luck. DVR delay on a Sabres game is awful. I did it for a Christmas party and hated every second of it. It's one of the hardest things to do with technology right now.

OpIv37
04-16-2010, 12:01 PM
Good luck. DVR delay on a Sabres game is awful. I did it for a Christmas party and hated every second of it. It's one of the hardest things to do with technology right now.

I've done it pretty much every time the Sabres were on local TV this year, although I pretty much have to cut myself off from phone, internet and text messages until the game is over. Facebook is absolutely out of the question. I have to answer any incoming calls with "Don't say anything about the Sabres game" so no one blows it for me, and I have to have my wife screen my text messages.

I probably won't even wear Sabres gear. Last year, I went to a soccer game and had to record the ND game. I wore my ND jersey, and someone came up to me and told me the score.

Now, ND is much more popular than the Sabres and most of the hockey fans around here are poseurs, so it's less likely to happen, but I probably won't even take the risk.

rbochan
04-16-2010, 12:05 PM

It was broadcast on WGR today: WGR radio will be synced to the basic cable NBC feed for the game tomorrow.

Dr. Lecter
04-16-2010, 12:24 PM
I still think S11 has masturbated to Sabres game before, despite what he says.

RockStar36
04-16-2010, 12:35 PM
It was broadcast on WGR today: WGR radio will be synced to the basic cable NBC feed for the game tomorrow.

They always say they will sync it up, and it never does for me. I'm sure me getting the feed from the internet has something to do with that.

RockStar36
04-16-2010, 12:35 PM
I've done it pretty much every time the Sabres were on local TV this year, although I pretty much have to cut myself off from phone, internet and text messages until the game is over. Facebook is absolutely out of the question. I have to answer any incoming calls with "Don't say anything about the Sabres game" so no one blows it for me, and I have to have my wife screen my text messages.

I probably won't even wear Sabres gear. Last year, I went to a soccer game and had to record the ND game. I wore my ND jersey, and someone came up to me and told me the score.

Now, ND is much more popular than the Sabres and most of the hockey fans around here are poseurs, so it's less likely to happen, but I probably won't even take the risk.

I really wouldn't be shocked if they showed the scores at the Nats game. I could see them flashing them on the board only because it's the playoffs.

rbochan
04-16-2010, 12:53 PM
They always say they will sync it up, and it never does for me. I'm sure me getting the feed from the internet has something to do with that.

You might actually be able to get WGR on AM. I know I can in Syracuse sometimes.

RockStar36
04-16-2010, 01:12 PM
You might actually be able to get WGR on AM. I know I can in Syracuse sometimes.

I can during the day but it's spotty. I listen in the car on my way to work but even then it goes in and out in certain areas of my commute.

OpIv37
04-16-2010, 01:28 PM
I really wouldn't be shocked if they showed the scores at the Nats game. I could see them flashing them on the board only because it's the playoffs.

yeah I am a little worried about that.

I guess the positive side is that if I accidentally find out what the score is ahead of time, I can just go watch the highlights and it will save me an hour and a half of watching a game that's already over.

SabreEleven
04-17-2010, 12:14 AM
I got the HD box all setup. I'm ready for the Sabres game. I'm not sure how I lived without it. Watching hockey on it is phenomenal.