PDA

View Full Version : Notes from game 1

Buffalogic
04-15-2010, 08:40 PM
Miller was fantastic in the second!

Roy and Vanek are gonna wreak havoc in the playoffs.

Ennis is going to be hard to contain.

Team played poorly in their own zone.

Pominville was awful all game.

Great way to start the playoffs!! With a win!!

YardRat
04-15-2010, 08:44 PM
Pretty impressed with Ennis...Thank goodness for Miller, and hopefully we won't see another period like the second for awhile (unless we can continue to come out 'tied', which would be OK)

Nighthawk
04-15-2010, 08:47 PM

Team played the poorly in their own zone.

You pretty much nailed it. Pominville was fu**ing brutal the entire game...what the f**k was that? Ennis is a very dangerous player with the puck...he needs more ice time.

don137
04-15-2010, 08:48 PM

Team played the poorly in their own zone.

Agree with everything you said. Man, Pominville played bad. I thought Ennis, Pominville and Connolly were too soft in the defensive zone and almost played stand offish.
I thought the team came to play tonight. They made a statement that they were not going to take the bully cheap shot style the Bruins play and will give it right back.
Chara should of been kicked out of the game for that hit on Kaleta. Very dirty. Both teams were taking libertys up to that point.

Ingtar33
04-15-2010, 08:49 PM
Ennis reminded me of Lafontaine, how he would drive to the net from the boards on the fly... that kid's got some skill.

SABURZFAN
04-15-2010, 08:51 PM
Wagon Circler forgot to add that Chara is still a big homo so i'll bring up that note.

Nighthawk
04-15-2010, 08:53 PM
Ennis reminded me of Lafontaine, how he would drive to the net from the boards on the fly... that kid's got some skill.

This will sound crazy to many who never watched Ennis in the juniors, but this kid is the most skilled player that Buffalo has seen since LaFontaine. The kid is that good...he reminds me a little of Patrick Kane and yes, he has that kind of skill.

helmetguy
04-15-2010, 08:54 PM
How did Kaleta end up with a 10 minute misconduct?

Nighthawk
04-15-2010, 08:56 PM

Because he's Kaleta...

don137
04-15-2010, 08:58 PM

He probably said something he should not of said...

hydro
04-15-2010, 09:01 PM
Torres headlock on Chara was just awesome...

helmetguy
04-15-2010, 09:01 PM
Because he's Kaleta...

Ah! Reputation penalty. Noted.

Nighthawk
04-15-2010, 09:23 PM
Ah! Reputation penalty. Noted.

I used to play hockey and although I was offensively talented, I used to play like a little rat and I used to get penalties called on me all the time...just because of who I was. It sucks, but it is what it is.

Dr. Lecter
04-15-2010, 10:01 PM
A few more:

1. I love Ennis. But if he does not shot the damn puck, I am going to go down to the lockerroom and kick him in the nuts.

2. Tim Kennedy tries like hell. He hit Chara as hard as he could once. Kennedy took the worst of it, but props for trying

3. Lydman played very well and broke up at least two opportunities for Boston.

4. The team misses Hecht.

Dr. Lecter
04-15-2010, 10:06 PM
One more thing - the crowd was insane and my voice is shot.

Buffalogic
04-15-2010, 10:49 PM
Ya Lydman is inspired. These guys are ready to kick ass! Except Pominville. He was really disappointing that game.

trapezeus
04-15-2010, 11:02 PM
the sabres sucked ****enballs for the second period. if they expect to go anywhere, they'll play better in that second period vs. better teams.

Crisis
04-16-2010, 01:02 AM
the connolly pominville line REALLY misses hecht from what i've heard.

vanek is heating up at the right time. everyone knows how streaky he is, and if he goes on one of his absolute tears with miller playing well we could make a serious push.

i only got to see most of the first and bits and pieces after that though. from what i saw miller's rebound control was terrible tonight, but he's still amazing.

Crisis
04-16-2010, 01:05 AM
also, the team didn't back down and actually played like they had a pair. THAT was a nice change.

Buffalogic
04-16-2010, 01:20 AM
also, the team didn't back down and actually played like they had a pair. THAT was a nice change.Raffi Torres was a good pickup and his game is perfect for the playoffs. He still hasn't scored for us but he brought some much needed physical grit to the team and it looks like it's rubbing off on the other guys. I think we are in store for a different sabres playoff team than we have seen in the past. Along with the goal he scored, Vanek was lighting people up mid ice and along the boards. These guys are ornery and ready to bring the pain.

don137
04-16-2010, 06:33 AM
I do like some of the grit by the players like Mair, Torres, Goose, Montador, etc. Some skill players and grit. Throw in heart and you have the makings of a very nice playoff run.

SabreEleven
04-16-2010, 06:53 AM
Sabres wore their 3rd jersey's...now that was awesome. I hope it's all playoffs long.

BlackMetalNinja
04-16-2010, 06:59 AM
1. I loved the increased intensity and physicality... but it almost cost us big time more than once, especially during the 2nd. It seemed like a few guys were going out of their way to try and make hits and assert themselves, and forgetting to play hockey in the meantime. They need to strike a better balance on that moving forward.

2. Ennis definitely looked good, but he was hesitant to shoot on several occasions. I found myself screaming at him to get the puck on net.

3. Montador was lucky, though I think the fact it was the playoffs helped. He was definitely infringing on "3rd man in" territory in that dust up in the 1st where Lucic decided to start punching Lydman with his gloves on.

4. Late in the 3rd I saw a burst of speed from Grier chasing a puck that I didn't think was even possible for him... love his effort.

5. This whole series is going to be low scoring, 1 goal games, and it's going to make me crazy!

Dr. Lecter
04-16-2010, 07:25 AM
2. Ennis definitely looked good, but he was hesitant to shoot on several occasions. I found myself screaming at him to get the puck on net.

I wonder if he could hear you?

chernobylwraiths
04-16-2010, 07:45 AM
A few more:

1. I love Ennis. But if he does not shot the damn puck, I am going to go down to the lockerroom and kick him in the nuts.

2. Tim Kennedy tries like hell. He hit Chara as hard as he could once. Kennedy took the worst of it, but props for trying

3. Lydman played very well and broke up at least two opportunities for Boston.

4. The team misses Hecht.

shoot

rbochan
04-16-2010, 07:48 AM
http://i464.photobucket.com/albums/rr1/senrab/kaletablood.jpg

chernobylwraiths
04-16-2010, 07:53 AM
my observations:

1. as much as the Sabres "tried" to be more physical, they still have a ways to go. I don't blame Lydman for not wanting to fight, but he should have skated away instead of doing what he did. He did play a steady game though. If they spear Miller like that again, someone should take the big penalty and beat the guy down.

2. I would rather see Butler than Sekera.

3. I like Torres, even though he doesn't seem to have as much offense as advertised. We need more players that play like that.

4. Pomminville better pick up his game or get new sticks or something. Plus, letting a 42 year old punk him like that was laughable.

5. Miller played very good, but Rask played better IMO.

6. I liked Kaleta going to the net on the winning goal. Nobody said anything about that. He caused that goal.

7. At least the Sabres played about 2 full periods instead of one.

BuffaloBeliever
04-16-2010, 07:53 AM
Lydman and Torres played well as well imo., both because they intimidated the Bruins and weren't afraid to get in a brawl with Lucic and Chara.

trapezeus
04-16-2010, 08:59 AM
kennedy's move at the line on Rivet's goal was nice. bought some time and space...

i hope the sabres aren't too dinged up and have a let down game 2.

i also would love to see this team get amped up and just blow the bruins out in game 2. like the year we beat the flyers in 05-06. we won game 1 in ot, and then we really took it to the flyers in the remaining games.

also, i went to a sabres bar here in NYC. It was crazy. i have lost my voice. it would have been even better if it became a blow out.

jesseInEA
04-16-2010, 12:31 PM
1. I loved the increased intensity and physicality... but it almost cost us big time more than once, especially during the 2nd. It seemed like a few guys were going out of their way to try and make hits and assert themselves, and forgetting to play hockey in the meantime. They need to strike a better balance on that moving forward.

3. Montador was lucky, though I think the fact it was the playoffs helped. He was definitely infringing on "3rd man in" territory in that dust up in the 1st where Lucic decided to start punching Lydman with his gloves on.

4. Late in the 3rd I saw a burst of speed from Grier chasing a puck that I didn't think was even possible for him... love his effort.

5. This whole series is going to be low scoring, 1 goal games, and it's going to make me crazy!
I saw the Grier zip too, I was like "he must have been storing that all year, saving up his energy"...

The only thing I want to see is crisper passing to get out of our own zone, that was frustrating.

RockStar36
04-16-2010, 02:38 PM
my observations:

1. as much as the Sabres "tried" to be more physical, they still have a ways to go. I don't blame Lydman for not wanting to fight, but he should have skated away instead of doing what he did. He did play a steady game though. If they spear Miller like that again, someone should take the big penalty and beat the guy down.

2. I would rather see Butler than Sekera.

3. I like Torres, even though he doesn't seem to have as much offense as advertised. We need more players that play like that.

4. Pomminville better pick up his game or get new sticks or something. Plus, letting a 42 year old punk him like that was laughable.

5. Miller played very good, but Rask played better IMO.

6. I liked Kaleta going to the net on the winning goal. Nobody said anything about that. He caused that goal.

7. At least the Sabres played about 2 full periods instead of one.

Seriously? What game did you watch?

RockStar36
04-16-2010, 02:39 PM
Bruins and fans crying about Myers hit...which isn't news, but I thought these comments on The Bruins Blog were entertaining.

I agree. That shove from Vanek on Wheeler was chippy and dangerous. He rode Wheeler into the board with “26″ staring him in in the face the whole time.

The Chara hit on Kaleta was clearly an embellishment. He kicked his right skate up so high, he nearly kicked Chara in the midsection. Had he not done the acting job, he might have had a right to cry foul after the play.

http://www.thebruinsblog.net/2010/04/16/hit-on-boychuk-news-to-myers/

Dr. Lecter
04-16-2010, 02:42 PM
The Vanek hit was a bad hit. He should have gotten a boarding penalty.

Dr. Lecter
04-16-2010, 02:43 PM
I also question wanting Butler in there over Sekera.

RockStar36
04-16-2010, 03:04 PM

That's fine, but how can they say the Kaleta hit was an embellishment?

That's a ****ing joke.

Dr. Lecter
04-16-2010, 03:12 PM
That's fine, but how can they say the Kaleta hit was an embellishment?

That's a ****ing joke.

No doubt. That part is homer whining.

You get hit by a 255 guy, and it is going to cause a reaction.

Typ0
04-16-2010, 03:22 PM
I thought the game was great. While is was clunky on the physical end and they were clearly trying to prove themselves that's what it's going to take the in the playoffs to win. Every series they have to come out like that and assert themselves or they will slip into oblivion. Miller was great. From a player perspective this team is not a sleeper but from a Sabres fan perspective it is. These guys can do some damage and the best news is they'll be back next year. They told us we suffered through the events of the last couple years for a good reason and it's starting to pay off. I hope they bring it for Miller because if they do we're going to see some fun hockey in the coming weeks.

chernobylwraiths
04-16-2010, 03:33 PM

Miller was solid and played very well. But Rask made some very good saves in the third to keep his team in it. IMO, Rask played a little better.

chernobylwraiths
04-16-2010, 03:33 PM

I thought so too.

chernobylwraiths
04-16-2010, 03:35 PM
I also question wanting Butler in there over Sekera.

Butler hasn't played well towards the end of the season, but Sekera scares me every time he has the puck.

chernobylwraiths
04-16-2010, 03:37 PM
And Rask not getting a "star" in the game was complete homer from MSG.