PDA

View Full Version : Prepare for fireworks on draft day

X-Era
04-17-2010, 08:14 AM
I really think one of these will happen:

1) We don't draft a player for either line until round 3
2) We draft Spiller
3) We draft Clausen
4) We trade up into round 1 and forfeit or 2nd rounder for Colt McCoy or Tim Tebow.
5) We draft Tebow at 9
6) We draft Spiller at 9 AND trade up into late 1 for McCoy or Tebow
7) We trade down, and with our only 1st round pick take McCoy or Tebow

T-Long
04-17-2010, 08:19 AM
Agreed. I truly believe that the pick will now be Spiller if he is there and Okung, Bulaga, and T. Williams are gone.

Michael82
04-17-2010, 08:25 AM

2) We draft Spiller
3) We draft Clausen
4) We trade up into round 1 and forfeit or 2nd rounder for Colt McCoy or Tim Tebow.
5) We draft Tebow at 9

I see both #1 and #6 happening. All the people want OL help, but we have some young OTs on the roster with lots of potential and this is a deep OT class. I could see us drafting the OL in rounds 4 or later.

mybills
04-17-2010, 08:42 AM
2 QB's?

X-Era
04-17-2010, 08:44 AM
I see both #1 and #6 happening. All the people want OL help, but we have some young OTs on the roster with lots of potential and this is a deep OT class. I could see us drafting the OL in rounds 4 or later.

I really do too.

JCBills
04-17-2010, 08:44 AM
Pretty sure I'd be upset with every scenario on there.

X-Era
04-17-2010, 08:47 AM

I can understand that, you wont be alone.

I, however, would not be upset.

I think there is quality prospects on both lines in rounds 2 and beyond.

ddaryl
04-17-2010, 08:49 AM
I really don't think much of that would happen.

Tebow at #9 no chance

Spiller at #9 no... We'll trade down before we take Spiller at #9

Clausen, I think Nix knows Clausen will not succeed here.

We won't trade back into the 1st we will only trade down IMO.

I think we might swap picks with someone in front of us but we will use players not picks to do so

JCBills
04-17-2010, 08:54 AM
I can understand that, you wont be alone.

I, however, would not be upset.

I think there is quality prospects on both lines in rounds 2 and beyond.

Well, I think RB at #9 is a luxury pick, and with this QB class, I don't think QB is the way to go at #9 either. ESPECIALLY not a 2nd round project QB like Tebow at 9, I'd be so demoralized I don't know if I would watch the rest and I've been counting days for two months, so that says something lol. Just not sold on McCoy either. IMO we'll go defense early. A lot of people might be pissed at the time (like when we drafted Byrd - almost everyone was like WTF A CB?)

X-Era
04-17-2010, 08:55 AM
I really don't think much of that would happen.

Tebow at #9 no chance

Spiller at #9 no... We'll trade down before we take Spiller at #9

Clausen, I think Nix knows Clausen will not succeed here.

We won't trade back into the 1st we will only trade down IMO.

I think we might swap picks with someone in front of us but we will use players not picks to do so

Would you be surprised if one of those scenarios played out?

X-Era
04-17-2010, 08:56 AM
Well, I think RB at #9 is a luxury pick, and with this QB class, I don't think QB is the way to go at #9 either. ESPECIALLY not a 2nd round project QB like Tebow at 9, I'd be so demoralized I don't know if I would watch the rest and I've been counting days for two months, so that says something lol. Just not sold on McCoy either. IMO we'll go defense early. A lot of people might be pissed at the time (like when we drafted Byrd - almost everyone was like WTF A CB?)
Outside of CB, the Bills cant make a luxury pick... we are top notch at anything else.

We could easily do exactly what you described. I can see that. However, just don't be surprised if we don't and if we do one of the things I listed.

bigbub2352
04-17-2010, 08:56 AM
If we take spiller at 9 then nothing has changed at OBD we have 2 starters on the roster right now if we trade Lynch i am all for it but if we dont it is a stupid pick
We need trench help and we need a QB... leave the rest for later rds

SquishDaFish
04-17-2010, 09:21 AM

2) We draft Spiller
3) We draft Clausen
5) We draft Tebow at 9

The only one that would really piss me off is #5 drafting Tebow at #9

psubills62
04-17-2010, 09:28 AM

2) We draft Spiller
3) We draft Clausen
5) We draft Tebow at 9

Honestly, I could see us drafting Spiller. But I don't see us trading back into the first to get McCoy or Tebow.

IMO, too much emphasis has been placed on the idea that McCoy is the next Drew Brees. I personally don't see it, and I don't think McCoy will be good enough to warrant trading up into the 1st round.

However, I could see #'s 1 and 2 happening, but not the others.

JCBills
04-17-2010, 09:28 AM
Outside of CB, the Bills cant make a luxury pick... we are top notch at anything else.

We could easily do exactly what you described. I can see that. However, just don't be surprised if we don't and if we do one of the things I listed.

Well I think any pick in the secondary would be a luxury pick (Scott and Wilson are vastly underrated at SS) and in the first year of a 3-4 switch, I'd hope the focus is on the front 7. They got us half way there with the Dwan Edwards / Andra Davis additions, should give us a decent 2/3 on the strong side, but there's that gaping hole at LOLB. Unless we plan on running a one gap 3-4, NT is still a massive need, and we still only have one player with actual experience playing 3-4 DE. Stroud has declined, Spencer Johnson is serviceable, and Williams is undersized. Even if you were to put that aside, we still need another DE for a decent rotation. I also don't like the idea of OT at 9, but think they might look tackle on the 2nd day. But on D for needs, that puts us at NT (starter or #2), DE (starter or #2), ILB (depth) OLB (starter and depth). Yeah, we have an offensive minded HC, but Nix and Whaley come from exceptional defensive units.

If Marshawn is dealt, then no, it isn't technically a luxury pick, but I'd still say it's one we can't afford to make, I hope we learned our lesson about 1st round RBs, because our last two haven't worked out all that great lol. Quality RBs can be found in the 2nd or later, last year's draft was a great example of that, with LeSean McCoy and Shonn Greene going in the 2nd and 3rd. I think this year's mid rounds will be stacked with talent. Just look at 2009's 4th and 5th, a lot of the players taken there had much earlier grades, and now factor in just how deep this class is in most areas. If we have to grab a RB, wait.

ddaryl
04-17-2010, 09:35 AM
Would you be surprised if one of those scenarios played out?

Ones you mentioned.. Most of them actually

We will take an OL or DL in the 1st 2 rounds

we will not draft Spiller, Clausen or Tebow at #9, and I will be upset if we do.

We will not trade back up into the 1st, but we might trade back. I would be very surprsed if we moved back into the 1st.

if we trade back it won't be for a QB. I think the Bills are OK this year with Edwards Brohm and Fitz and possibly a later rd project added into the mix, but I don't think Buffalo really likes any QB enough to draft them in the 1st rd outside of Bradford, and even the 2nd rd for that matter.

am I correct who knows, but I view Nix as a smart GM who has a much better idea on how to build a team then the previous regime(s) and has some patience. Most of the moves I read from people are IMO knee jerk reactions to a 10 year ++++ funk.

Nix will do this right and that means not reaching for band-aids IMO.

Nighthawk
04-17-2010, 09:41 AM
If we take spiller at 9 then nothing has changed at OBD we have 2 starters on the roster right now if we trade Lynch i am all for it but if we dont it is a stupid pick
We need trench help and we need a QB... leave the rest for later rds

I'm Ok with taking Spiller at #9, but only if Lynch is not on the roster. Otherwise, it just doesn't make sense. At some point, you have to take talented players at positions of need to get better. Now, I don't want them to reach, but if you have a highly rated player on your board that addresses an immediate need, but is slightly rated lower then Spiller...IMO, you take the need position.

Dicknoze69
04-17-2010, 09:44 AM
Keep in mind that the top-end OTs aren't really as good of prospects as you'd think. Bulaga is probably an iffy LT because he's limited athletically; definitely more suited to RT. T. Williams had pretty mediocre game tape at LT this past season, I'm not sure he can play LT at the next level despite his athletic gifts. So you're looking at the real possibility that Bell/Meredith may be better at LT than the available OTs at #9.

My point is unless you're desperate and reach for an OT, your board probably has players of other positions as the BPA.

Oldbillsfan
04-17-2010, 09:49 AM
Something tells me they will trade Marshawn and draft Spiller first.

Nighthawk
04-17-2010, 09:51 AM
Something tells me they will trade Marshawn and draft Spiller first.

And I'd be OK with this...

JCBills
04-17-2010, 10:01 AM
Keep in mind that the top-end OTs aren't really as good of prospects as you'd think. Bulaga is probably an iffy LT because he's limited athletically; definitely more suited to RT. T. Williams had pretty mediocre game tape at LT this past season, I'm not sure he can play LT at the next level despite his athletic gifts. So you're looking at the real possibility that Bell/Meredith may be better at LT than the available OTs at #9.

My point is unless you're desperate and reach for an OT, your board probably has players of other positions as the BPA.

Lol been saying this for a while.....I'd honestly rather see how Meredith does in a full season than go OT at 9. He showed a lot last season, and was a top tackle prospect in last year's draft. Bell was basically handed that chance by DJ, and with Meredith being 10x the player Bell is, let's be fair and rational here lol. This year's class paired with 1st round OT history, it doesn't look like it'll be a good one.

ddaryl
04-17-2010, 10:04 AM
Lol been saying this for a while.....I'd honestly rather see how Meredith does in a full season than go OT at 9. He showed a lot last season, and was a top tackle prospect in last year's draft. Bell was basically handed that chance by DJ, and with Meredith being 10x the player Bell is, let's be fair and rational here lol. This year's class paired with 1st round OT history, it doesn't look like it'll be a good one.

Unfortunately I would not go into this year trusting any player on our roster with the LT side. he can compete for it, but if we go into 2010 with Meredit and Bell as LT's we will lose a QB or 2 to injury IMO. :stretcher

Meredith will compete for the RT side IMO, but at LT I would be real worried

Night Train
04-17-2010, 10:09 AM
Excellent, I love fireworks.

No matter who we pick, I'm ductaping 20 M-80's together and blowing up my neighbors tree.

JCBills
04-17-2010, 10:14 AM
Unfortunately I would not go into this year trusting any player on our roster with the LT side. he can compete for it, but if we go into 2010 with Meredit and Bell as LT's we will lose a QB or 2 to injury IMO. :stretcher

Meredith will compete for the RT side IMO, but at LT I would be real worried

I'd be much less worried than last season. Meredith has all the measurables you could ask for, long arms, size, strength, athleticism. I think a year of grinding it out and learning on the field could help him quite a bit. 1st rounder D'Brickashaw Ferguson took 2 years to come around, and Jets fans waited that one out, even after allowing 12 sacks as a rookie. A good measure on Meredith was the Carolina game. They tried to exploit the matchup with a rookie and put Julius Peppers on Meredith for a lot of the game (RT / LE) and Meredith more than held his own. I'd take Meredith with a year in the league over a 1st round OT.

ddaryl
04-17-2010, 10:15 AM
I'd be much less worried than last season. Meredith has all the measurables you could ask for, long arms, size, strength, athleticism. I think a year of grinding it out and learning on the field could help him quite a bit. 1st rounder D'Brickashaw Ferguson took 2 years to come around, and Jets fans waited that one out, even after allowing 12 sacks as a rookie. A good measure on Meredith was the Carolina game. They tried to exploit the matchup with a rookie and put Julius Peppers on Meredith for a lot of the game (RT / LE) and Meredith more than held his own. I'd take Meredith with a year in the league over a 1st round OT.

it's possible.... but I wouldn't stick an expensive rookie QB back there then :stretcher

If he has this LT potential then how did we end up with him mid season last year ????

JCBills
04-17-2010, 10:34 AM
it's possible.... but I wouldn't stick an expensive rookie QB back there then :stretcher

If he has this LT potential then how did we end up with him mid season last year ????

He has the potential, but was probably seen as a project player by the Packers. I really don't know, but he played well for us.

I wouldn't either, I don't want an early QB. Call me crazy, but Brohm and Meredith - both GB PS pickups, could end up starting for us next year, and I don't think it would be as bad of a deal as most might think. Meredith is better fit at LT than RT. Plenty of players weren't valued as much by one franchise, go to another, and produce.

FlyingDutchman
04-17-2010, 10:40 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TH_3A9u4Gk8

Don't Panic
04-17-2010, 10:40 AM
If we don't take a lineman with either of our first two picks I'll be shocked. Not necessarily disappointed, but definitely surprised. Ditto for Tebow at 9. The rest wouldn't surprise me, but I am hoping we go another way.

Mr Bills
04-17-2010, 10:58 AM
drafting tebow b4 the 3rd round is going to be a huge mistake. I don't mind spiller or jimmy but we better not take tebow...

FlyingDutchman
04-17-2010, 11:02 AM
How can they not go tackle in the top 2 picks. There is not one bonified NFL caliber starting tackle on the roster. You can take it to the bank theyll draft 1

X-Era
04-17-2010, 11:20 AM
Excellent, I love fireworks.

No matter who we pick, I'm ductaping 20 M-80's together and blowing up my neighbors tree.

Damn tree... Its all standing there... looking dumb.

YardRat
04-17-2010, 11:39 AM
#1 is borderline...depending on who we get early, and overall, I could live with that.

#2 wouldn't make me angry, but I wouldn't be pleased either.

#3 thru #7 and I'm going to be super-pissed.

jamze132
04-18-2010, 12:46 AM

2) We draft Spiller
3) We draft Clausen
5) We draft Tebow at 9
Man, you're really going out on a limb there with 7 predictions! The BZs very own Nostradamus!

X-Era
04-18-2010, 05:22 AM
Man, you're really going out on a limb there with 7 predictions! The BZs very own Nostradamus!

None of them are popular around here. And none of them use our first pick on either line even though that the most common thinking at our pick.

clumping platelets
04-18-2010, 05:27 AM

:snicker:

JCBills
04-18-2010, 06:50 AM
None of them are popular around here. And none of them use our first pick on either line even though that the most common thinking at our pick.

Lol Tebow at 9 is extremely popular on BBMB. Quite sad really.

TacklingDummy
04-18-2010, 06:55 AM
I like Spiller but I hate drafting a RB in the top 15.

Jan Reimers
04-18-2010, 07:53 AM
In preparation for draft day, I've asked my wife to hide all sharp objects and toxic substances, leaving only my 1.75 ml bottle of Ketel One within reach.

SABURZFAN
04-18-2010, 07:55 AM

i find X-Era's posts to be upsetting lately too.

Don't Panic
04-18-2010, 09:23 AM
In preparation for draft day, I've asked my wife to hide all sharp objects and toxic substances, leaving only my 1.75 ml bottle of Ketel One within reach.

Sounds good to me... are you hosting? I'll bring the tonic and limes.

Bill Cody
04-18-2010, 09:58 AM
The two things we know about the draft are in recent years is defensive players and OT's go earlier than their ratings may indicate. So this idea that we've going to wait until the 3rd round to draft a tackle is unlikely, might not be first but it will be one of the first 2 picks. And it's also unlikely IMO that both of the first 2 picks will be offense unless...the wildcard to me is what their thought is on QB. That can really shake up our plan and then you could see 2 offensive players taken 1-2. The likely fireworks to me is a trade down. This Spiller talk is not happening IMO nor should it. Tebow at 9 has a 0.00% chance of happening.

BertSquirtgum
04-18-2010, 10:50 AM
i don't believe any of those scenarios are going to happen

tomz
04-18-2010, 11:58 AM

Dude, 1.75 mil is a very small amount. I assume you mean 1.75 liters or could it be that you are that optimistic?http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/images/icons/icon7.gif

X-Era
04-22-2010, 07:49 PM
#2 is done

#4 and #6 still in play