• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The Spaz
    • Mar 2003

Pre-draft rumors and rumblings

What we’re hearing less than a week before the NFL Draft cranks up:

• The one thing that keeps coming up every time I ask anyone inside the NFL about Texas QB Colt McCoy is how small he is up close.

Jordan ShipleyAPIs Shipley poised for a draft day freefall?

• Speaking of the Texas Longhorns, I spoke to a scout this week who said his team has McCoy’s buddy, WR Jordan Shipley, graded as a priority free agent.

• Night Train
    Retired - On Several Levels
    • Jul 2005

Re: Pre-draft rumors and rumblings

I heard that 32 teams lie like hell and are completely full of **** through next Saturday.

Still, I always like hearing the scout comments because the actual ratings of many players turn out to be drastically different than many of these draft sites lead us to believe.
    Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• SquishDaFish
      Lets GO BUFFALO!!
      • Jun 2005

Originally posted by Night Train
      I heard that 32 teams lie like hell and are completely full of **** through next Saturday.

Still, I always like hearing the scout comments because the actual ratings of many players turn out to be drastically different than many of these draft sites lead us to believe.
      I agree with you but it is till Thursday now not Sat LOL

Comment

• psubills62
        Legendary Zoner
        • Sep 2008

See I know that GM's (especially when talking directly about prospects) are full of crap before the draft.

However, when teams speak anonymously to some media guys, it's not always crap. Take, for example, the near-draft rumors that Tyson Jackson was going to Kansas City at #3 last year. I dismissed them as the usual pre-draft crap, as it was absurd to pass on all the other guys available to take Tyson Jackson. But we all know how that turned out.

This is why I don't really dismiss many of the underground rumors as quickly anymore.
        "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
        - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• Michael82
          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by psubills62
          See I know that GM's (especially when talking directly about prospects) are full of crap before the draft.

However, when teams speak anonymously to some media guys, it's not always crap. Take, for example, the near-draft rumors that Tyson Jackson was going to Kansas City at #3 last year. I dismissed them as the usual pre-draft crap, as it was absurd to pass on all the other guys available to take Tyson Jackson. But we all know how that turned out.

This is why I don't really dismiss many of the underground rumors as quickly anymore.
          Don't forget about the talk of Maybin right before the draft last year and then we did it.

Comment

• Yasgur's Farm
            • Feb 2005

The more I obsess over the draft the more I see 2 very clear scenarios... I'll lable them 1 & 2 as to my preference.

1) Trade down if Okung, Trent Williams, and Bulaga are gone at #9... Take best LT or NT available in round 1. Grab Tebow at #41... and Saffold with our other 2nd round pick. Trade our 4th for Jason Campbell and count on him starting until the year Tebow beats him out for the starter... Tebow would still see plenty of time on the field in wildcat or pistol type situations.

2) If Clausen is there at #9... That's our pick. Go best LT or NT at #41... same at #72. Trade our 4th for Jason Cambell and let Clausen sit until he beats Campbell for the #1 job.

Comment

• JCBills
              • Jan 2010

Originally posted by draz54
              The more I obsess over the draft the more I see 2 very clear scenarios... I'll lable them 1 & 2 as to my preference.

1) Trade down if Okung, Trent Williams, and Bulaga are gone at #9... Take best LT or NT available in round 1. Grab Tebow at #41... and Saffold with our other 2nd round pick. Trade our 4th for Jason Campbell and count on him starting until the year Tebow beats him out for the starter... Tebow would still see plenty of time on the field in wildcat or pistol type situations.

2) If Clausen is there at #9... That's our pick. Go best LT or NT at #41... same at #72. Trade our 4th for Jason Cambell and let Clausen sit until he beats Campbell for the #1 job.
              Tebow, icky.

Comment

• SquishDaFish
                Lets GO BUFFALO!!
                • Jun 2005

Originally posted by draz54

I would love either of those

Comment

• Oaf
                  Do you read what you write?
                  • Jun 2007

What the heck, "other 2nd round pick"?

Comment

• Night Train
                    Retired - On Several Levels
                    • Jul 2005

Originally posted by BEASTMODE
                    I agree with you but it is till Thursday now not Sat LOL
                    I kind of get that, since I'll be at the Draft party at the Wilson Fieldhouse Thursday.

The draft concludes on Saturday, which was my point. The entire draft, not just the first round is how I measure it.
                    Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• Yasgur's Farm
                      • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Oaf
                      What the heck, "other 2nd round pick"?
                      As in "trade down" from #9...

Comment

• SquishDaFish
                        Lets GO BUFFALO!!
                        • Jun 2005

I kind of get that, since I'll be at the Draft party at the Wilson Fieldhouse Thursday.

The draft concludes on Saturday, which was my point. The entire draft, not just the first round is how I measure it.
                        Got you bro

Comment

Working...
                        X