PDA

View Full Version : Bills will waste a pick.

HHURRICANE
04-19-2010, 01:25 PM
Long time since I posted a thread but with all of the hype regarding Tebow and Spiller I thought I'd throw my two cents in.

Even if these skill players are 100% ready for the NFL they will either get hurt or never reach there full potential rotting behind this terrible o-line. Many of you sat here a year ago convincing yourselves the line wasn't as bad as it looked on paper. How did that Bell thing work out. OBD did a nice job of selling you on Bell as the next Peters with a better attidtude.

The bottom line is that the o-line is horrible. It will not be better without adding more talent to it. Period. If the Bills ever want to be competitive than make the sacrifice now, even though not popular, and get this line built properly.

Mahdi
04-19-2010, 01:36 PM
Again, people referencing the ENTIRE OL as terrible when we just drafted and signed 4 new OL last year that have either shown a lot of promise or are already established as solid starters.

We are 1 OL away from having a fairly good OL.

Bruce is Loose
04-19-2010, 01:47 PM
Exactly, we are one good offensive line away from having a good offensive line. In reality, we only need 2 tackles, a center, and a guard (unless Wood comes back)...

Now you could move Levitre to T or potentially Wood to center, but you still have 3-4 positions out of 5 that are manned by questionable talent.

PS. No, I did not forget about Cornell Green

OpIv37
04-19-2010, 01:54 PM
Again, people referencing the ENTIRE OL as terrible when we just drafted and signed 4 new OL last year that have either shown a lot of promise or are already established as solid starters.

This board grossly overrates Wood, Levitre and especially Hangartner. Han simply isn't that good. Wood has question marks due to his injury, and both him and Levitre have a lot to learn. Will they get better? Hopefully, but every year people on this board get all excited about 2nd-year players maturing and every year it fails to materialize.

This OL is at least two starting tackles and one interior player from being NFL caliber, and it needs overall depth.

If you can't see that, you're just fooling yourself.

better days
04-19-2010, 01:56 PM
Just because Trent Edwards is constantly injured does not mean others will get injured by being tackled. Ryan Fitzpatrick & Fred Jackson remained healthy last year behind the same line, & yes the Bills should & most likely will add new talent to the line before the season starts.

ddaryl
04-19-2010, 01:57 PM
I agree that our OL is taking steps to being better, but it still needs major attention.

this game is won and lost in the trenches. Those words do not have any asteriks next to it, runnning and stopping the run leads to better things, something the Bills have failed to do with any real consistency for the last decade.

Mahdi
04-19-2010, 02:04 PM
This board grossly overrates Wood, Levitre and especially Hangartner. Han simply isn't that good. Wood has question marks due to his injury, and both him and Levitre have a lot to learn. Will they get better? Hopefully, but every year people on this board get all excited about 2nd-year players maturing and every year it fails to materialize.

This OL is at least two starting tackles and one interior player from being NFL caliber, and it needs overall depth.

If you can't see that, you're just fooling yourself.
Levitre - Hang - Wood were very solid in the middle of the line this year, there is a reason we ran the ball well between the tackles all year long. I believe Fred ran for 4.5 ypc, that doesn't happen unless your interior is playing at a high level.

Hangarter was a scrapper all year for the Bills and managed the big NTs of our division VERY WELL. He also moved very well on screens and tosses. The guy is a solid football player.

As for Cornell Green, the guy is certainly not a flashy signing but he is a mauler. The guy simply overpowers people in the run game. Not a great pass protector but he is adequate, especially for a run first team.

There is a reason the Raiders were one of the best short yardage running teams in the NFL last year. The guy gets good push off the snap.

Sorry but you are way off in your evaluation of our OL.

WeAreArthurMoates
04-19-2010, 02:05 PM
I dont agree with you often but this on I'm totally 100% on board with. O line or D line is the way to go.

OpIv37
04-19-2010, 02:12 PM
Levitre - Hang - Wood were very solid in the middle of the line this year, there is a reason we ran the ball well between the tackles all year long. I believe Fred ran for 4.5 ypc, that doesn't happen unless your interior is playing at a high level.

Hangarter was a scrapper all year for the Bills and managed the big NTs of our division VERY WELL. He also moved very well on screens and tosses. The guy is a solid football player.

As for Cornell Green, the guy is certainly not a flashy signing but he is a mauler. The guy simply overpowers people in the run game. Not a great pass protector but he is adequate, especially for a run first team.

There is a reason the Raiders were one of the best short yardage running teams in the NFL last year. The guy gets good push off the snap.

Sorry but you are way off in your evaluation of our OL.
Once again, you are fooling yourself and seeing what you want to see. But I'm not going to convince you otherwise so there is no point in arguing.

Mahdi
04-19-2010, 02:16 PM
Once again, you are fooling yourself and seeing what you want to see. But I'm not going to convince you otherwise so there is no point in arguing.
You have nothing to say because you can't argue against production.

OpIv37
04-19-2010, 02:21 PM
You have nothing to say because you can't argue against production.

The Bills' offense had production? No it didn't. You picked a subjective stat, with only one RB, running only in the middle of the field, to prove production. You didn't adjust for the quality of D we were playing against or the situation in the specific game. If you want to take one number in a vacuum and say it proves that Han is a viable starter, go right ahead, but that's not the reality of the situation.

Buffalogic
04-19-2010, 02:27 PM
HHuricane will waste your time with another sobby thread.

jdbillsfan
04-19-2010, 02:29 PM
Long time since I posted a thread but with all of the hype regarding Tebow and Spiller I thought I'd throw my two cents in.

Even if these skill players are 100% ready for the NFL they will either get hurt or never reach there full potential rotting behind this terrible o-line. Many of you sat here a year ago convincing yourselves the line wasn't as bad as it looked on paper. How did that Bell thing work out. OBD did a nice job of selling you on Bell as the next Peters with a better attidtude.

The bottom line is that the o-line is horrible. It will not be better without adding more talent to it. Period. If the Bills ever want to be competitive than make the sacrifice now, even though not popular, and get this line built properly.

There are other rounds for quality olineman besides the 1st.

Buffalogic
04-19-2010, 02:29 PM
The Bills' offense had production? No it didn't. You picked a subjective stat, with only one RB, running only in the middle of the field, to prove production. You didn't adjust for the quality of D we were playing against or the situation in the specific game. If you want to take one number in a vacuum and say it proves that Han is a viable starter, go right ahead, but that's not the reality of the situation.Dude op give it a rest, it's not worth fighting over everything. You are kidding yourself if you don't think our young guards will be pillars of a good oline for many years. Just need some tackles.

OpIv37
04-19-2010, 02:33 PM
Dude op give it a rest, it's not worth fighting over everything. You are kidding yourself if you don't think our young guards will be pillars of a good oline for many years. Just need some tackles.

First, Wood and Levitre played well FOR ROOKIES. That's not the same thing as playing well. We've seen plenty of players look good early, then go into a sophomore slump and never come out. We don't know if these guys will take the next step or not.

Second, Wood is injured, and may not ever fully recover, so that may be something that's beyond his control.

Third, I was talking mainly about Hangartner, and even if both Wood and Levitre pan out, we need an upgrade at C.

And fourth, I agree that we need tackles. Green is at best a short-term solution. There are no other viable options at tackle on the roster.

mayotm
04-19-2010, 02:46 PM
Once again, you are fooling yourself and seeing what you want to see. But I'm not going to convince you otherwise so there is no point in arguing.Of course, anybody that doesn't see the same thing as you is wrong. Makes perfect sense to me.

OpIv37
04-19-2010, 02:54 PM
Of course, anybody that doesn't see the same thing as you is wrong. Makes perfect sense to me.

Damn straight.

jdbillsfan
04-19-2010, 03:02 PM
First, Wood and Levitre played well FOR ROOKIES. That's not the same thing as playing well. We've seen plenty of players look good early, then go into a sophomore slump and never come out. We don't know if these guys will take the next step or not.

Second, Wood is injured, and may not ever fully recover, so that may be something that's beyond his control.

Third, I was talking mainly about Hangartner, and even if both Wood and Levitre pan out, we need an upgrade at C.

And fourth, I agree that we need tackles. Green is at best a short-term solution. There are no other viable options at tackle on the roster.

I agree with this, I just don't agree that anything other than OT for the first pick will be a waste. I would rather go BPA as often as possible as this team is lacking quality talent across the board.

YardRat
04-19-2010, 03:04 PM
Our o-line is much better right now than it was at the same time last year.

Buffalogic
04-19-2010, 03:25 PM
Bills sorely lack playmakers. They can't afford to do anything besides BPA and that's NOT a tackle OR a quarterback. It just isn't.

Pinkerton Security
04-19-2010, 03:43 PM
Bills sorely lack playmakers. They can't afford to do anything besides BPA and that's NOT a tackle OR a quarterback. It just isn't.

yes, we lack playmakers. we also lack good O-lineman. And yes we definitely can afford to draft a stud left tackle. I can see the argument for QB, but just because you personally dont want a LT does not mean it isnt a good pick. Tell me if Bulaga or God forbid Okung are still there, that they wouldnt be the best player available anyways?

EDS
04-19-2010, 03:49 PM

Let's be honest can we? Both starting tackle positions are still huge question marks, one guard spot is dependent on the return of a second year player from a serious injury and the other two spots are occupied by two guys who, based on their performance last year, were average at best.

Now obviously we should expect some improvement due to experience, especially with Wood and Levitre, but Hangartner may well be best placed long term as a back-up and again, long term answers at both tackle positions are not readily apparent.

Turning promise and potential into production is always a slippery slope and not all players are able to make the transition.

Bling
04-19-2010, 03:51 PM
You know, since I can remember Op has been the poster that is usually ahead of the game. You would think after Jauron and Mularkey that you guys would wisen up and listen to "negative" Op. Instead you go around in circles and believe what you want to believe. I'm not complaining, but some of you should be at how blind your fanbase is.

Bill Cody
04-19-2010, 03:59 PM
Let's ALL be honest. We could have 10 1sts and 10 seconds and it's pretty damn likely most of them would start day 1. We're not talking the 1990 49ers here. I just want us to draft some good players that when look back won't make us think of a word that rhymes with "lust".

BertSquirtgum
04-19-2010, 08:25 PM
our o-line was putrid last year. wood and levitre did show some promise. hangartner should be a back up just like he was on the panthers. and the rest should be playing for the UFL.

billz83
04-20-2010, 04:30 PM
This Oline is still one of the WORST in the league..i dunno what the hell the bills FO is thinking!?! they have NO CLUE on how to build a winning team..They are seriously the most incompetent FO in the NFL today! The level of ignorance and stupidity in this FO is beyond amazing! itz as if they work for the patriots and are PURPOSELY destroying this team from within! Itz been over a DECADE since this team had an AVERAGE decent oline! when the **** are they going to fix this oline?!

ServoBillieves
04-20-2010, 04:45 PM
My 2 cents?

Levitre is an upgrade in recent years.
Wood is an uprade if still hitting the books and gets healthy
Hangartner is... meh, but he was the only solid O-Lineman we had last year so I can give him another year to prove himself.
Bell is a joke unless he's drastically improved and can keep his damn hand in the ground pre-snap. Which I know he can't.
Cornell Green is... again, a joke.

Meredith? Maybe. I don't know. If we pick up an OT who can come in day 1, I have mild confidence in the line.

That said, we still have no pass catchers/route runners aside from Lee Evans and the Tight Ends/Freddy, and I do think this draft needs to focus more on the Defensive side of the ball with all the weapons in the AFC East.

That might have been 3 cents...

Prov401
04-20-2010, 04:51 PM
I was very impressed with our interior O-Line last year pre-Wood's injury. There were a couple of games however where Hangartner was pushed around frequently, and Levitre was off a bit early on in the season. Wood had way more ups than downs. I am very pleased with our interior O-Line, obviously depending on what goes on with Wood getting ready to play. We need tackles. I'm willing to bet Levitre beasts this year, and Hangartner will be solid. Wood is probably going to start off slow, if he even starts at all. We need to bring in some monster tackles to get this O-Line going in the right direction. And for those of you who argue that Levitre, Wood, and Hangartner were average at best...tell that to Fred Jackson.

Mike
04-20-2010, 05:39 PM
This is why we need to do the following:

Trade our 2nd this yr and a conditional pick next yr for Charles Brown Pro Bowl LT from Saints.

Trade down from 9 to late 20's. I have heard there are a few interested teams and pick up a 2nd rounder then:
1st) Take Uipti Top Guard prospect of last 10yrs
2nd) Draft Staffold and put him at RT
3rd-7th rd = BPA

So our line could look like this:

Brown, Levitre, Wood (if ok to play), Uipti, Staffold

This line can be absolutely dominant in 2yrs! Not tomorrow, because we do not live a magical world where all 1st rounders turn into Hall of Famers right off the bat like many of you believe, but instead reality. It 2yrs we will have a top OL in the NFL and be set at those positions for many more yrs (assuming the bills will actually pay them this time around)

What do you think?

Michael82
04-21-2010, 01:46 AM
great post WagonCIrcler...except I'll disagree about one thing...we do need to find ourselves the QB of the future in this draft. It may not be Clausen or Tebow or even Colt McCoy, but I expect to draft a Quarterback this week to fix one of our biggest holes.