X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chernobylwraiths
    • Jan 2003

I saw somewhat a different game

The Bruins played a practically flawless game. Rask again showed that he could be beat with another weak goal, but we put little pressure on him and had very few scoring chances. The Bruins defense played exceptional and harassed any Buffalo player that had the puck. That is about as complete a game as you can get from a team.

I actually liked some of the aggressiveness that the Sabres showed at times in front of the Boston net. Hell, even Sekera got into it.

I have heard Torres's name as someone who has done nothing, well offensively maybe not, but at least he is playing physical. The same can't be said about Roy, Pomminville, Connolly, etc.

I don't think the Bruins can keep playing that style of game at that pace.
  • G Wolly
    • Mar 2004

Re: I saw somewhat a different game

Originally posted by chernobylwraiths
    I don't think the Bruins can keep playing that style of game at that pace.
    I think they could for the next 2 games

Comment

• jamze132
      Don’t hate…
      • Jun 2003

Only takes 2 more times...

Comment

• TMu11
        • Mar 2010

Connolly has been beyond disappointing
        After Every Dark Night Comes a Brighter Day

Comment

• don137
          • Jul 2002

The guys that need to put the puck in the net have not even created great scoring chances. They seem tentative against Boston. I see Roy hustling out there but he is not doing much. Other than that no one is doing anything Pominville, Roy, Connolly, Ennis, etc. I know everyone loves Ennis, and I think he is going to be a good one, but he is not creating many scoring opportunities right now. In this series he reminds me of Afinogenov. Skating swiftly with the puck but not doing anything positive with it.
          Even Gaustad looks very sloppy out there.
          Guys that have impressed me are Torres, Montador and Grier's grit.

Comment

• chernobylwraiths
            • Jan 2003

Originally posted by don137
            The guys that need to put the puck in the net have not even created great scoring chances. They seem tentative against Boston. I see Roy hustling out there but he is not doing much. Other than that no one is doing anything Pominville, Roy, Connolly, Ennis, etc. I know everyone loves Ennis, and I think he is going to be a good one, but he is not creating many scoring opportunities right now. In this series he reminds me of Afinogenov. Skating swiftly with the puck but not doing anything positive with it.
            Even Gaustad looks very sloppy out there.
            Guys that have impressed me are Torres, Montador and Grier's grit.
            I think almost the same thing, though I don't expect Gaustad to be any more offensive now than he was in the season, which isn't much.

I love Torres's grit too, but wonder why he seems to have no offensive ability. Is he still trying to feel out his linemates? The guy has to have SOME kind of offensive ability scoring all those goals, but at times he looks no better than Mair or Grier offensively.

What kills me is that Pomminville looks even sloppier on the puck than usual. He looks like he can't control it at all and still easily gets knocked off the puck. Roy is Roy, he skates around with it and then makes a stupid blind pass or tries to pass it through 3 guys. Connolly can't seem to stay on his skates like someone said earlier this year. Stafford needs to put his size to work for him, he certainly has some skill with the puck.

I'm still not yet worried about this series. That was a practically perfect game for Boston. Even their coach said they played well for 60 minutes. I know we all want the Sabres to play a 60 minute game, but it is rare for teams to play like that all game. After the first game, I think Rask has been unimpressive at times with two goals in the last two games being very soft. The Sabres looked much more impressive in the final minutes and need to put that kind of effort in more often. That will produce more goals.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
              Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
              • May 2003

I think the Sabres are simply too small to compete effectively against big, physical teams. We have been manhandled by the Bruins. And despite allegedly being small, but fast and skilled, we have had no advantage in that department against Boston.

Because we cannot handle the Bruins' superior size and strength, we can only win by giving absolute maximum effort by every player on every shift, and Miller standing on his head. So far, neither has happened.
              Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• elltrain22
                • Sep 2003

Originally posted by TMu11
                Connolly has been beyond disappointing
                I couldn't agree more
                If you walk with Jesus today, you don't have anything to worry about tomorrow...

Comment

• BlackMetalNinja
                  I'm not Jewish, I'm just in it for the hats.
                  • May 2005

19 and 29 were invisible last night, Derek Roy was marginally better. I too think Ennis is playing like Afinogenov in this series, and I sent out multiple texts to people last night saying as much. Lots of flash and moves and speed, then turns the puck over without getting a shot on.

I don't think they held the offensive zone for more than 15 seconds at any point until the last 5 minutes of the game. Sloppy passing, getting moved off the puck, etc. Boston obviously realizes their strength and Buffalo's weakness are one in the same and they are using physical play to steal this series against a team they are not better than.

Comment

• jamze132
                    Don’t hate…
                    • Jun 2003

Well lets see how these Sabres respond in GM4. If we head back to Buffalo down 3-1, we are ****ed.

Comment

• trapezeus
                      Legendary Zoner
                      • Oct 2004

most disappointing thing was that lindy ruff said in the second period that he thought we were playing ok. in today's blonews, kennedy thought they played a good game.

And that's why we are going to lose this series. they think they are doing enough to win. I say this with all seriousness. right now, if you took the 99 sabres team and put them against the 2010 team and had them play without goalies, just shooter tutors, the 1999 team would win...in a blow out.

Comment

• TheGhostofJimKelly
                        • May 2003

I thought Gaustad was absolutely terrible last night.

Comment

• SquishDaFish
                          Lets GO BUFFALO!!
                          • Jun 2005

Grier played one heck of a game.

Comment

• mchurchfie
                            • Jul 2002

Yeah, that was really inspiring when in the second intermission Pommers tells the commentator that its 1-1 and we are right where we want to be. Not a very validating statement after getting your ass handed to you for the whole second period.
                            My Band
                            daveviterna.com

Comment

• mchurchfie
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by TheGhostofJimKelly
                              I thought Gaustad was absolutely terrible last night.
                              He needs to start winning some freakin draws and getting more chippy. His locker must be next to Timmuhs and it is rubbing off or something.
                              My Band
                              daveviterna.com

Comment

Working...
                              X