PDA

View Full Version : Bills trading up to pick 5 for OT?

JayV
04-19-2010, 10:11 PM
GBN Report had this to say:
There have been rumblings out of Buffalo, for example, that the Bills have contemplated trying to move up to the #5 pick to ensure acquiring either of LT prospects Russell Okung or Trent Williams. That would cost the Bills something like a 3rd this year and a 4th next spring which would be a big price to pay for a rebuilding team with too many holes. In fact, there are other rumors that Buffalo, which has the 41st pick in the second round, would like to trade back up into the late first round to take Florida QB Tim Tebow. That would still cost the Bills their 3rd rounder, but at least they would get an impact player. Meanwhile, there is little new to report out of Cleveland or St. Louis regarding a possible trade involving the #1 pick as the Browns and Rams engage in a game of ‘mock chicken’ waiting for the other to blink.

Link:
http://www.gbnreport.com/draftbuzz.html

casdhf
04-19-2010, 10:19 PM
Okung would be worth it.

Dicknoze69
04-19-2010, 10:23 PM
Okung would be worth it.

There seems to be a lot of rumors going around that Washington prefers T. Williams as well:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AsE3BXhnkB78lvIGBhIdxbJDubYF?slug=cr-inconvenienttruths041910

and

Likely Skins pick RT @YahooSportsNFL Oklahoma's Trent Williams is actually the most talented offensive tackle available -- from the Redskins beat writer

clumping platelets
04-19-2010, 10:23 PM
:scratch:

Oaf
04-19-2010, 10:26 PM
irdk.. We really need all of our picks.

T-Long
04-19-2010, 10:29 PM
HELL. NO.

This team is not in a position to lose picks at this point, especially to move up in the top 10. I think they should stay at 9 and take the best available player on the board at that point. They are guaranteed to draft a starter there. Trading back up into the end of the first is still a possibility, but I don't want to see it happen in the top 10.

clumping platelets
04-19-2010, 10:33 PM
I only wanna trade up for Suh

psubills62
04-19-2010, 10:34 PM
I'd love to get Okung, but the fact is that this draft is deep with OT's. If we can't get one of the top 3 at #9, then we should be able to get a decent one in the second or third round.

It's also rumored that Tampa Bay is desperately trying to trade back from #3.

clumping platelets
04-19-2010, 10:36 PM
If Suh is available at #3, then I make the deal to get him. Whitner and 2nd rd pick in 2011 should be close to move up to #3

JCBills
04-19-2010, 10:45 PM
Tebow an impact player, what?

BertSquirtgum
04-19-2010, 10:48 PM
irdk.. We really need all of our picks.

i second that rationality

TacklingDummy
04-19-2010, 10:49 PM
Tebow an impact player, what?
He'll make about as much impact as Maybin did.
With that being said, look for the Bills to waste another draft pick and pick Tebow.

BertSquirtgum
04-19-2010, 10:49 PM
If Suh is available at #3, then I make the deal to get him. Whitner and 2nd rd pick in 2011 should be close to move up to #3

isn't suh more suited for the 4-3 defense? i thought dan williams was the only top DT that was suited for the 3-4.

psubills62
04-19-2010, 10:54 PM
isn't suh more suited for the 4-3 defense? i thought dan williams was the only top DT that was suited for the 3-4.

Suh is a versatile player. He'd be a monster 3-4 DE, who could probably kick into NT on passing downs. He'd also be a very good 1-tech in a 4-3.

JCBills
04-19-2010, 10:58 PM
He'll make about as much impact as Maybin did.
With that being said, look for the Bills to waste another draft pick and pick Tebow.

I chuckled when I read that line, then instantly thought "who the hell is writing this?".

BillsWin
04-19-2010, 11:16 PM
Unless its for Bradford, moving up would be stupid. We need our picks.

Now if Bradford miraculously slips past St. Louis, I would love nothing better than to trade our first this year and next year, coupled with our 3rd and 5th this year to move up to 2 or 3.

If that could get it done, I would do it in a heartbeat.

BertSquirtgum
04-19-2010, 11:18 PM
that's a little much billswin

clumping platelets
04-19-2010, 11:26 PM
Suh is a versatile player. He'd be a monster 3-4 DE, who could probably kick into NT on passing downs. He'd also be a very good 1-tech in a 4-3.

:nod:

Suh at RDE
Edwards at LDE
Stroud, et al at the NT]

Tatonka
it would be a collosal mistake to trade up imho. we need more picks not less. one player will not make us at this point. we need a strong draft to build a new core.. because our core of impact players is so weak right now. we dont have much room for error as it is..

clumping platelets
No need to use our #1 next yr to trade up. Teams higher up are basically begging to move down.

ZAZusmc03
04-19-2010, 11:27 PM
I don't think its even feasible to attempt to trade up. IF we are trading anything, It better be trading down and stockpiling picks.

TacklingDummy
04-19-2010, 11:32 PM
it would be a collosal mistake to trade up imho. we need more picks not less.
The Bills don't need more/less picks. What they need is for whoever they pick to perform. Im all about quality not quantity. I would be all for trading every pick after the 4th round for another 3rd rounder.

What good is 8 draft picks when they end up picking like this...

1 26 Erik Flowers DE Arizona State
2 58 Travares Tillman FS Georgia Tech
3 89 Corey Moore OLB Virginia Tech
4 121 Avion Black WR Tennessee State
5 156 Sammy Morris RB Texas Tech
6 194 Leif Larsen DT Texas-El Paso
7 233 Drew Haddad WR Buffalo
7 251 DaShon Polk LB Arizona

Or like...

1 11 Leodis McKelvin CB Troy
2 41 James Hardy WR Indiana
3 72 Chris Ellis DE Virginia Tech
4 114 Reggie Corner DB Akron
4 132 Derek Fine TE Kansas
5 147 Alvin Bowen OLB Iowa State
6 179 Xavier Omon RB Northwest Missouri State
7 219 Demetrius Bell T Northwestern State-Louisiana
7 224 Steve Johnson WR Kentucky
7 251 Kennard Cox CB Pittsburgh

Or like...

2007 - Buffalo Bills
Rd Sel # Player Position School
1 12 Marshawn Lynch RB California
2 34 Paul Posluszny MLB Penn State
3 92 Trent Edwards QB Stanford
4 111 Dwayne Wright RB Fresno State
6 184 John Wendling DB Wyoming
7 222 Derek Schouman FB Boise State
7 239 C.J. Ah You DE Oklahoma

If the Bills get 2 good starters out of this years draft then I'd consider it a success.

BillsWin
04-19-2010, 11:36 PM
that's a little much billswin

Bradford would be worth the cost. Everyone will see that soon enough.

TacklingDummy
04-19-2010, 11:39 PM
Bradford would be worth the cost. Everyone will see that soon enough.
If judging a player after 1 season is "moronic", what's judging a player before he's even drafted called?

clumping platelets
04-19-2010, 11:41 PM
If judging a player after 1 season is "moronic", what's judging a player before he's even drafted called?

Analysis :awm:

SeatownBillsFan21
04-19-2010, 11:48 PM
I agree with TacklingDummy if we get 2 guaranteed starters this draft it will be 50x better than in years past. trade up or down stay put it don't matter we just need some major help how ever we can get it.

TacklingDummy
04-19-2010, 11:50 PM
I agree with TacklingDummy if we get 2 guaranteed starters this draft it will be 50x better than in years past. trade up or down stay put it don't matter we just need some major help how ever we can get it.

Starters that stay healthy and out of trouble.

clumping platelets
04-19-2010, 11:55 PM
Lets see...........send 1(9), 5(140), RB Lynch, DB Whitner, and 2nd in 2011 to Detroit for 1(2) and cond 2011

With the 2nd pick in the 2010 NFL Draft, the Buffalo Bills select DT Ndamukong Suh from Nebraska :nod:

blln4lyf
04-20-2010, 12:32 AM
The Bills don't need more/less picks. What they need is for whoever they pick to perform. Im all about quality not quantity. I would be all for trading every pick after the 4th round for another 3rd rounder.

What good is 8 draft picks when they end up picking like this...

1 26 Erik Flowers DE Arizona State
2 58 Travares Tillman FS Georgia Tech
3 89 Corey Moore OLB Virginia Tech
4 121 Avion Black WR Tennessee State
5 156 Sammy Morris RB Texas Tech
6 194 Leif Larsen DT Texas-El Paso
7 233 Drew Haddad WR Buffalo
7 251 DaShon Polk LB Arizona

Or like...

1 11 Leodis McKelvin CB Troy
2 41 James Hardy WR Indiana
3 72 Chris Ellis DE Virginia Tech
4 114 Reggie Corner DB Akron
4 132 Derek Fine TE Kansas
5 147 Alvin Bowen OLB Iowa State
6 179 Xavier Omon RB Northwest Missouri State
7 219 Demetrius Bell T Northwestern State-Louisiana
7 224 Steve Johnson WR Kentucky
7 251 Kennard Cox CB Pittsburgh

Or like...

2007 - Buffalo Bills
Rd Sel # Player Position School
1 12 Marshawn Lynch RB California
2 34 Paul Posluszny MLB Penn State
3 92 Trent Edwards QB Stanford
4 111 Dwayne Wright RB Fresno State
6 184 John Wendling DB Wyoming
7 222 Derek Schouman FB Boise State
7 239 C.J. Ah You DE Oklahoma

If the Bills get 2 good starters out of this years draft then I'd consider it a success.

I wouldn't trade every pick after the 4th round for a 3rd, but I absolutely agree with you that we need to pick people who will perform. If they are very confident that one of the top 2 OT's will be a Pro Bowl type player for a long time, that the 3rd/4th OT are overvalued and that the expected drop off of talent by the time pick #9 rolls around merits the move, I would absolutely be okay and excited about such a move.

jamze132
04-20-2010, 01:24 AM
This draft is too deep to be spending picks to move up, when you are the Buffalo Bills. If you are going to move, it needs to be down to gain more picks. I would love to get another 2nd RD pick somehow.

Michael82
04-20-2010, 01:40 AM
If St Louis trades the pick and Bradford slides to two or 3, I would do everything to try to move up for him. He's going to be special. I also would consider trading up that high for Suh. And I would consider trading up a few picks if Okung slides. He's going to be beast and some of these teams may be desperate to move down. We might be able to get their higher pick for decent price.

SaviorEdwards
04-20-2010, 02:26 AM
If Okung dropped down to that slot that would be a great pick!!!

Don't Panic
04-20-2010, 05:50 AM
:nod:

Suh at RDE
Edwards at LDE
Stroud, et al at the NT]

You're gonna gamble potentially two 1st round picks on a guy playing essentially a new position? I mean, I like the guy too, but I don't know about that, clump.

tampabay25690
04-20-2010, 06:00 AM
I'd love to get Okung, but the fact is that this draft is deep with OT's. If we can't get one of the top 3 at #9, then we should be able to get a decent one in the second or third round.

It's also rumored that Tampa Bay is desperately trying to trade back from #3.

I also heard yesterday IN TAMPA that the BUCS really want SUH and are looking to get to #1 or #2......

ddaryl
04-20-2010, 07:34 AM
I don't want to trade picks. If we can offload a player to move up that would be a smooth move for us.

Suh Okung or McCoy would be the target, and of course Bradford if he drops past St Louis.

I am very against trading away 2011 picks because I want us in position to draft a frachise QB in 2011

trapezeus
04-20-2010, 08:27 AM
i'm for trading if it means that we solidify the line for years to come. i honestly think a proper left tackle buys us time in the running game. i think it makes our unbearable QB's good enough to manage some games. And if they don't, we are back here at the 1-10 pick next year prepared to pick a QB from a better class of QB's.

I don't like trading for a QB, because:

1. he won't play right away
2. he'll be behind his awful line if he does.

that's a waste of a pick to me. QB's, RB's and WR's are always in the trade market for cheap, they always hit free agency expensively, but tested.

If we trade to get an impact player that definitively closes out that position and isn't a gigantic question mark, do it. A LT that is the highest graded, a NT that is a game changer, and or a LB that is a leader and impossible to defend are cornerstones to a team. It's also harder to bust out at those positions because measures are less definitive.

Those are my two cents.

SABURZFAN
04-20-2010, 10:12 AM
GBN Report had this to say:
There have been rumblings out of Buffalo, for example, that the Bills have contemplated trying to move up to the #5 pick to ensure acquiring either of LT prospects Russell Okung or Trent Williams. That would cost the Bills something like a 3rd this year and a 4th next spring which would be a big price to pay for a rebuilding team with too many holes. In fact, there are other rumors that Buffalo, which has the 41st pick in the second round, would like to trade back up into the late first round to take Florida QB Tim Tebow. That would still cost the Bills their 3rd rounder, but at least they would get an impact player. Meanwhile, there is little new to report out of Cleveland or St. Louis regarding a possible trade involving the #1 pick as the Browns and Rams engage in a game of ‘mock chicken’ waiting for the other to blink.

Link:
http://www.gbnreport.com/draftbuzz.html

trading up to get Okung or Williams is steep but they lock up a position for the next decade, barring injury. they get theirselves a Day 1 starter. the Bills will make a VERY BIG MISTAKE if they trade up for Tebow. why would they want to draft an "impact player" when it'll take a couple of years to make an impact? then you're pissing away a 3rd to get him? how the hell is the team going to get better when they're giving away draft picks for players they have to wait for? this team needs Day 1 starters, not "impact players" they have to wait a couple of years for.

The last buffalo fan
04-20-2010, 10:13 AM
Suh! :pray: :drool:

madness
04-20-2010, 01:01 PM
You never hesitate to draft sure-fire impact players! If you can trade up to grab Okung, it has to be done.

Russell Okung: "He's got 36-inch arms, graduated in three-and-a-half years. I think this, one of the safest picks in the draft."

Russell Okung OT OK State A big solid tackle that reminds a lot of guys of J. Ogden. This big bruiser is a road grader that can shut down DEs and OLBs that attack. “Okung was better on our board because Williams is a zone type lineman. Okung is a power tackle and will start from the first game in that scheme.”

billz83
04-20-2010, 04:49 PM
Not that im against Tebow but he WILL fail if he comes to buffalo..this is the black hole for QBz just like the raiders have been..we have NO MENTOR for tebow here..we have NO OLINE to protect him..no offensive threats..and most importantly no WRz except evans..tebow will be successful behind a QB that can mentor him and that isnt the scenerio in buffalo!

JCBills
04-20-2010, 05:03 PM
Not that im against Tebow but he WILL fail if he comes to buffalo..this is the black hole for QBz just like the raiders have been..we have NO MENTOR for tebow here..we have NO OLINE to protect him..no offensive threats..and most importantly no WRz except evans..tebow will be successful behind a QB that can mentor him and that isnt the scenerio in buffalo!

This is what a lot of the blind-to-logic Tebow lovers refuse to grasp, we just aren't in the position to draft him. If we had an established QB and half decent OL, different story, but even then I don't feel right about spending an early pick on a long-term investment.

Don't Panic
04-20-2010, 08:00 PM
If the Lions stick with Suh and the smoke about the Skins preferring TWilliams is actually fire, then I'm all about trading up to #5 for Okung.

BertSquirtgum
04-21-2010, 01:04 AM
trading up is dumb

Buffalogic
04-21-2010, 01:11 AM
Losing picks in this years draft is dumb. Only way I trade up is with the Lions in a trade that involves the #9 + lynch for the 2 pick. Otherwise, nah.