• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ickybaluky
    • Jul 2003

Mike Lombardi has some surprising names as post-draft cuts

Per Lombardi's column on NFP:

Speaking of the Jets, they are actively shopping guard Alan Faneca, defensive end Shaun Ellis and linebacker Bryan Thomas and will probably waive these players after the draft. You might be surprised to read Faneca’s name, but he’s the first to go after the draft.
    He lists some others available, but nobody who is earth-shattering.

Faneca shocks me some. I know his play is declining and he isn't dominant any more, but he is a veteran team leader and strong locker room guy. Considering the characters the Jets have brought in they will need guys in the locker room to keep things in check.

Ellis doesn't surprise me as much, his play has gone downhill. He just doesn't make the plays he used to.

Thomas would be a nice stopgap as a 3-4 OLB. Given the Pats need there I would love for them to look at him. I always felt he was an underrated guy, one who does a lot of things pretty well but isn't great in any one area.
  • justasportsfan
    • Jul 2002

Re: Mike Lombardi has some surprising names as post-draft cuts

this is exactly why I feel Nix and co. aren't going around looking for trades. There will be more cuts down the road.
    sacrifice1
    https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• patmoran2006
      Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
      • Dec 2005

Hey, NE39..

Why hasn't Adalius Thomas been cut? I thought he was going to be cut when FA started.

New England change their mind? Or is he another guy that will get cut post-draft?

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

• Mahdi
        • Mar 2004

Faneca is a huge shock. Him and Mangold are the main reason for their success running the ball.

I hope they cut him.

Comment

• DraftBoy
          Administrator
          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by NE39
          Per Lombardi's column on NFP:

He lists some others available, but nobody who is earth-shattering.

Faneca shocks me some. I know his play is declining and he isn't dominant any more, but he is a veteran team leader and strong locker room guy. Considering the characters the Jets have brought in they will need guys in the locker room to keep things in check.

Ellis doesn't surprise me as much, his play has gone downhill. He just doesn't make the plays he used to.

Thomas would be a nice stopgap as a 3-4 OLB. Given the Pats need there I would love for them to look at him. I always felt he was an underrated guy, one who does a lot of things pretty well but isn't great in any one area.
          Marcus Spears is a pretty intriguing name that he lists.
          COMING SOON...
          Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
          We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• patmoran2006
            Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
            • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Mahdi
            Faneca is a huge shock. Him and Mangold are the main reason for their success running the ball.

I hope they cut him.
            This is exactly why Nix needs to take the BPA in each round and not by the "biggest need"

There is still FA after the draft and some guys out there. I'll be sick if we take take the 4th best OT with the 9th pick if the top OLB, DT, WR and RB are still on the board.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

• Dicknoze69
              Just because my name is dicknoze,it doesn't mean I have balls in my mouth
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by patmoran2006
              Hey, NE39..

Why hasn't Adalius Thomas been cut? I thought he was going to be cut when FA started.

New England change their mind? Or is he another guy that will get cut post-draft?
              I think they're trying to keep Thomas away from the Jets.

God give me style and give me grace
              God put a smile upon my face

Comment

• WeAreArthurMoates
                • Feb 2009

I am praying that Faneca gets the axe. He's declining but still a beast in the run game though is pass pro sucks.

Comment

• Ickybaluky
                  • Jul 2003

Originally posted by DraftBoy
                  Marcus Spears is a pretty intriguing name that he lists.
                  I don't think as much of Spears, at least for the Pats. He may be a better fit for some teams, but he isn't physical enough for me. I don't think he is as good a 2-gapper as the Pats like for the position. He has talent, but plays average at the point of attack.

Comment

• Bills Juggernaut
                    • Aug 2006

Interesting note on the Raiders interest in Rolando McClain. Have never seen him slotted to the Raiders in any mock drafts that I've seen..............
                    The One and Only

Comment

• DraftBoy
                      Administrator
                      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by NE39
                      I don't think as much of Spears, at least for the Pats. He may be a better fit for some teams, but he isn't physical enough for me. I don't think he is as good a 2-gapper as the Pats like for the position. He has talent, but plays average at the point of attack.
                      Well given we have zero players with 3-4 DE, he isn't a bad starting place.
                      COMING SOON...
                      Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                      We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• ddaryl
                        Everything I post is sexual inuendo
                        • Jan 2005

Very shocking... but do you depend on these rumors or do you just stick with the plan....

Naturally you stick with the plan and continue to upgrade when the opportunity arises

I sure hope the Bills can make at least one more unexpected quality FA move before training camp

Comment

• Ickybaluky
                          • Jul 2003

Originally posted by Dicknoze69
                          I think they're trying to keep Thomas away from the Jets.
                          Miami would be an option as well, considering Mike Nolan is the DC there now and he has a history with Thomas.

Personally, either one of them can have him. I don't think he is that good, and he is a locker room lawyer as well (selfish player). The Pats whiffed on that signing, big time.

To answer the question, he will probably be cut before mandatory minicamp. There is nothing to make them cut him, they aren't paying him anything. They probably cut him prior to when he is due to practice, because they don't want him getting hurt and be tied to paying him. I'd be shocked if they keep him.

Comment

• RockStar36
                            Dude's Little Ignorant Crony
                            • Sep 2004

I would love Faneca if he is available.

D & S Sports

Comment

• Ickybaluky
                              • Jul 2003

If they cut him, it would be because of his salary. He is due to make $7.5M this year. I guess that would make it hard to trade him as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X