PDA

View Full Version : Vinny Cerrato on Aaron Maybin

OpIv37
04-20-2010, 12:05 PM
When discussing the importance of character, Cerrato related this story from last year's process.

"Last year we brought in 30 guys, and we brought in a bunch of defensive linemen, and we had four guys at dinner," he began. "And at dinner is the head coach, the coordinators, and the owner happened to be there because Brian Orakpo happened to be there, some of the guys that we were very much interested in. And we're at dinner, and one of the kids who ended up being drafted higher than we picked was so obnoxious in the dinner, just yelling across the room, and yelling certain things. A talented guy.

"And then afterwards, when the players left, we all got together and says that guy will not fit. Our players would not want him in the locker room. He would not be a quality kid, he'd be a pain in the neck in the locker room. So we didn't have him on the board. And when he went ahead of us, you're ecstatic. And he had a terrible year this year, so it proved the point."

In other news, Aaron Maybin Aaron Maybin Aaron Maybin. But I appreciate Cerrato's discretion.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/dcsportsbog/2010/04/vinny_cerrato_and_the_draft_pi.html?wprss=dcsportsbog

Has anyone heard anything about Maybin being immature or being a problem in the locker room? Did Vinny make too much out of one night of less-than-ideal behavior, or were his concerns legit?

DraftBoy
04-20-2010, 12:06 PM
He has immaturity concerns coming out, but nothing that has really surfaced as a big issue as of yet.

trapezeus
04-20-2010, 12:12 PM
i can't imagine that maybin had time to be more annoying or a distraction than having a coach who can't coach, qb's who can't qb, a rb who can't run, an DL that can't pressure, a LB corp that can't back up its DL.

somehow an underacheiving rookie doesn't seem to crack the top list of issues on the team.

Lexwhat
04-20-2010, 12:19 PM
Maybin did that same thing during the season too...

Except it wasn't at dinner. It was everytime he made a Tackle.

patmoran2006
04-20-2010, 12:22 PM
I have never heard a single negative thing about him in the locker room or with his work ethic-- at all.

his teammates love him

madness
04-20-2010, 12:26 PM
Social media also offers a different insight to “character” for Schefter. He follows CNN, Armen Keteyian of CBS, “I have a great deal of respect for him”, and various journalists across the spectrum. However, with Twitter the “personality of a player shines through." Players are notoriously inaccurate for information pertaining to football business, but Schefter can see what kind of person they are in short bursts. Arizona Cardinals wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald, and bombastic Cincinnati Bengals wide receiver Chad Ochocinco are among his favorites. Both have shown a splendor and enthusiasm that is infectious. On the down side, “I would never have drafted Aaron Maybin,” Schefter said of the self-absorbed Buffalo defensive end (who had an ugly rookie contract dispute). “I’ve un-followed him," an act on Twitter that is the kiss of death.

http://www.austinchronicle.com/gyrobase/Sports/Blogs/index.html/objID969520/blogID/

Dicknoze69
04-20-2010, 12:27 PM
That story is likely about Maybin, but it could also be Tyson Jackson or B.J. Raji.

psubills62
04-20-2010, 12:27 PM
Gotta say, I never heard of him having any character concerns. His success at such a young age was consistently attributed to a persistent work ethic. That sounds very unlike Maybin.

ServoBillieves
04-20-2010, 12:33 PM
Schefter un-followed Aaron Maybin?!

DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!

ddaryl
04-20-2010, 12:44 PM
Well if I was a coach at a dinner and was looking for character insight and all this went down I would have taken notice...

but then again I wanted Orakpo pver Maybin from the beginning.

Still can't beleived we reached for him..... but here's hoping he can see the field at OLB

justasportsfan
04-20-2010, 12:48 PM
I think it's because when Maybin grabbed the bread rolls , he started celebrating like he does when he makes a tackle.

ddaryl
04-20-2010, 12:57 PM
I think it's because when Maybin grabbed the bread rolls , he started celebrating like he does when he makes a tackle.

premature celebration is one of the quickest ways to win disapproval from a winning franchises coach.

That can't be said here

The Spaz
04-20-2010, 01:06 PM
Yet Schefter follows Ocho. How ironic.

Ron Burgundy
04-20-2010, 01:11 PM
While this story may be true, Vinnie Cerrato is a compulsive liar and an epic ******. Does he still have a job?

psubills62
04-20-2010, 01:13 PM
Yet Schefter follows Ocho. How ironic.

Well obviously there's a huge difference between a narcissist and an entertaining narcissist. It's always the boring ones that are going to fail :rolleyes:

HHURRICANE
04-20-2010, 01:45 PM
How about Maybin was a terible pick and leave it at that.

Orakpo was sitting there and we blew it.

Goobylal
04-20-2010, 01:48 PM
Sounds more like Jackson or Raji.

BertSquirtgum
04-20-2010, 02:28 PM
he is a 21 year old kid. of ****ing course he is going to be immature. and he didn't have a bad year because he was never played. there is next to nothing to base that statement off of.

just so everyone knows. i wanted orakpo very badly. maybin was a bad pick in my opinion but he rarely played so i don't think anyone has the right to say he had a bad year. he was so misused by the idiots running the team last year, that i almost feel bad for him. then i'm reminded of the big paycheck he got for sitting on his ass.

Raptor
04-20-2010, 02:29 PM
Some people are truly pathetic with there anti Maybin agenda. I mean I have never seen a group of people practically wishing this kid would fail when if he makes he could be a corner stone OLB in the 3-4

I digress, and the reason I digress MAYBIN WASNT EVEN AT THE DINNER CERRATO IS TALKING ABOUT

....During his visit here, Orakpo was grouped with Boston College defensive tackle B.J. Raji, and LSU defensive end Tyson Jackson. Manny of their activities were planned together; Raji could end up being the first defensive player selected Saturday while the Broncos, with pick 12, reportedly are very high on Jackson

Orakpo has drawn more attention from the Redskins than other ends. The team has not been in as close contact with Tennessee's Robert Ayers, Penn State's Aaron Maybin or Florida State's Everette Brown, and sources close to those players said they would be surprised if Washington selected them, especially if Orakpo were still available......

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/brian-orakpo-would-do-what-jas.html

realdealryan
04-20-2010, 02:30 PM
I have never heard a single negative thing about him in the locker room or with his work ethic-- at all.

his teammates love him

dude is tweeting at 545 am about workouts.....not the wake and bake kind either

TacklingDummy
04-20-2010, 02:34 PM
Except it wasn't at dinner. It was everytime he made a Tackle.
A whopping 18 times.

TacklingDummy
04-20-2010, 02:36 PM
How about Maybin was a terible pick and leave it at that.

Orakpo was sitting there and we blew it.
Some people are still trying to defend the pick.

tampabay25690
04-20-2010, 02:57 PM
WOW who cares

SquishDaFish
04-20-2010, 03:31 PM
TD give it up already your starting to get as bad as HH

patmoran2006
04-20-2010, 03:34 PM
Some people are still trying to defend the pick.

He's been in the league for one year, in the WRONG defense and was stuck behind "mainstays' Aaron Schobel and Chris Kelsay.

For real man?

TacklingDummy
04-20-2010, 03:36 PM
He's been in the league for one year, in the WRONG defense and was stuck behind "mainstays' Aaron Schobel and Chris Kelsay.

The wrong defense/position argument always makes me laugh.

TacklingDummy
04-20-2010, 03:36 PM
TD give it up already your starting to get as bad as HH
:blah:

Here's another one who will be changing his tune is about a year or so.

JCBills
04-20-2010, 04:59 PM
The wrong defense/position argument always makes me laugh.

He saw most of his time at LE.

240 lbs doesn't hold up well on the strong side, that's a fact, not an argument.

Bravo82
04-20-2010, 06:19 PM
He saw most of his time at LE.

240 lbs doesn't hold up well on the strong side, that's a fact, not an argument.

maybe we can line up Maybin in the backfield when we run Tebow out of the wildcat instead? :scratch: :brilliant:

Lexwhat
04-20-2010, 07:21 PM

For real man?

I was screaming for Orakpo, but we didn't end up taking him. I hated the Maybin pick. According to some sources, I believe Buddy Nix didn't favor the Maybin pick either.

If Maybin succeeds in the 3-4, and turns into an elite pass-rushing threat, I will gladly eat crow and be happy Maybin is on our team. I'm not holding out hope though.

Moreover, if we had picked Orakpo, we already know he would have been a good player for us. This is true no matter how good or bad Maybin turns out to be.

Don't Panic
04-20-2010, 07:42 PM
Maybin reminds me of many of the SB Bills (Reed, Kelly, Thurm, Bruce and Bennett)... immature and a good dose of ego. I'm not knocking those guys, but that's how I saw them. Of course, he doesn't have the talent of any of them, so the comparisons pretty much stop there.

YardRat
04-20-2010, 07:59 PM
The Maybin pick was terrible last year, plain and simple.

Personally, I'm hoping it turns out to be a 'silk purse from a sow's ear' situation with the switch in scheme and position.

Michael82
04-21-2010, 01:19 AM
I would have preferred the guy that Modrak wanted....Brian Cushing! That would have helped us fill our huge hole at LB.

Buffalogic
04-21-2010, 01:24 AM
I hated the pick last year and still don't like it. But I think he still has time to change our minds if he wants to badly enough. He's going to get his chance this year, that's for sure.