PDA

View Full Version : Patriots to sign Torry Holt

patmoran2006
04-20-2010, 12:44 PM
Per Michael Smith via Twitter.

That would be a great short term move for Pats, I think.

Pinkerton Security
04-20-2010, 12:46 PM
damn..smart receiver, I bet working with Brady could obviously benefit him greatly.

NorthCarBills
04-20-2010, 12:48 PM
I would not be surprised in the least if Holt puts up numbers close to those of his greatest show days. Jax was never a good fit for him.

Prov401
04-20-2010, 01:00 PM
If he pulled off some magic trick and un-aged 7 years, then I'd be upset at this signing.

It's like Jerry Rice going to Seattle.

Slim
Joey Galloway part 2.

buffalobillsfan95
its comfirmed he will sign soon
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/04/20/torry-holt-heading-to-new-england/

Ickybaluky
04-20-2010, 01:01 PM
Evidently, they don't want David Patten to feel old.

Holt's days as an elite WR are over. However, it can't hurt to bring him in and have him be a model for Julian Edelman and Brandon Tate. Had 50 catches last year, so he can still contribute.

At the least, he is a better option for 3rd WR than Sam Aiken.

Mr. Miyagi
04-20-2010, 01:04 PM
There's your Troy Brown.

The Spaz
04-20-2010, 01:04 PM
Yeah all this praise went to the Pats when they signed Galloway too.

Michael82
04-20-2010, 02:28 PM
:yawn:

trapezeus
04-20-2010, 03:01 PM
i guess Josh reed remains a free agent, right?

Mr. Miyagi
04-20-2010, 03:51 PM
Oh yeah LOL I had forgotten that Josh Reed is still out there!

billz83
04-20-2010, 04:23 PM
i dunno y everyone dissin Holt..hes still better then ANYONE on our WR roster besides Lee Evans..he wasnt brought into new england to be a #1 hes like the #3 WR or suttin id take him all day even at his age..Just shows u the bills are tooo cheap and tooooo incompetent to improve this team..(not just the Holt signing but we could have upgraded this team thru SOOOO MANY free agency signings but instead we were in a state of hibernation)

ServoBillieves
04-20-2010, 04:33 PM
To be honest I think this is a better pick up than Galloway. Galloway really seemed done, where as I think that Holt can let some young receivers develop beneath him.

CuseJetsFan83
04-20-2010, 06:34 PM
don't forget with welker getting injured late in the year, i think it is insurance in case he's not eligible to come back til middle of the season

Goobylal
04-20-2010, 07:19 PM
Welker won't be back this year. They'll need Holt to replace Galloway, and he should provide similar result to him and Stallworth.

TonyIncredible
04-20-2010, 07:24 PM
Holt's better days are behind him. Maybe this can be seen as a good depth move, but to be honest I don't expect much from Holt.

Ickybaluky
04-20-2010, 08:30 PM
Welker won't be back this year. They'll need Holt to replace Galloway, and he should provide similar result to him and Stallworth.

Galloway provided no results.

I'm curious what is behind the "won't be back this year" comment.

Goobylal
04-20-2010, 08:35 PM

He suffered his knee injury late in the season and it takes a good year to recover. Even moreso for a guy who relies on cutting like Welker does.

Buffalogic
04-21-2010, 01:31 AM
Holt's days as an impact player on game day are over. If they get 500 yards out of him that would be a surprise.

jamze132
04-21-2010, 01:34 AM

Not sure what he meant by that asI'm sure he will return to the field, but I would be willing to bet he isn't his old self catching triple digits.

Ickybaluky
04-21-2010, 05:56 AM
He suffered his knee injury late in the season and it takes a good year to recover. Even moreso for a guy who relies on cutting like Welker does.

An ACL is a 6-8 month rehab from surgery. That is pretty standard. Normally, a player starts jogging on a treadmill at 10 weeks.

You can argue he won't be the same player, especially when he first returns. However, he will be back on the field by November at the latest.

Dr. Lecter
04-21-2010, 06:06 AM
An ACL is a 6-8 month rehab from surgery. That is pretty standard. Normally, a player starts jogging on a treadmill at 10 weeks.

You can argue he won't be the same player, especially when he first returns. However, he will be back on the field by November at the latest.

True it is usually 6-8 months, but the muscles around the leg take longer than that and full recovery can (and often is) a 12 month time period.

Ickybaluky
04-21-2010, 07:46 AM
True it is usually 6-8 months, but the muscles around the leg take longer than that and full recovery can (and often is) a 12 month time period.

That isn't true any more, although I do agree with having to strengthen the muscles in the leg. In the NFL today, it is a 6-8 month recovery. After that, it is mental, which is the real barrier. Of course, that doesn't mean he regains his quickness or ability to the same level, but in terms of physical recovery he will be back in 6-8 months.

There probably isn't another surgery which has come farther in the last 10 years. It is routine now, and rehab has been accelerated tremendously. You can't really compare a player coming back today to a guy coming back even a couple years ago, that is how much the surgery has advanced.

Guy do come back, though, even at WR.

Lee Evans had ACL surgery at Wisconsin (twice, it had to be re-done). He still recovered well enough to be a 1st round pick.

Jerry Rice had ACL surgery. If you remember, Rice came back in the same season (3 and a half months), only to fracture his patella (kneecap) and end his comeback. That was in 1997, and he returned the following season to have 82 catches for 1,157 yards.

Reggie Wayne had ACL surgery after his Sophomore season at Miami. Did that keep him from being a successful pro?

People are stuck in the mindset that an ACL is a career-ender. It isn't. In fact, it is a relatively routine surgery nowadays, and rehab methods have shortened the return time by a ton.

Dr. Lecter
04-21-2010, 07:51 AM
I am not saying that is the end of his career, just that players are not fully back for about 12 months or so after the initial surgery.

James Hardy, although certainly not as accomplished as Welker, was not ready for game action for about 11 months after his surgery and he is younger than Welker and does not cut and turn like Welker.

I expect Welker to fine next season, but this season with the loss of practice time, conditioning and playing time in the start of the season he will struggle to be productive.

Ickybaluky
04-21-2010, 08:05 AM
I am not saying that is the end of his career, just that players are not fully back for about 12 months or so after the initial surgery.

James Hardy, although certainly not as accomplished as Welker, was not ready for game action for about 11 months after his surgery and he is younger than Welker and does not cut and turn like Welker.

I expect Welker to fine next season, but this season with the loss of practice time, conditioning and playing time in the start of the season he will struggle to be productive.

I agree may not be ready to start the season. However, he will be fully healthy by November at the latest. I'm actually being conservative with that estimate. After that, it is mental.

Not all ACL injuries are the same, but recovery nowadays is remarkably quick. You see guys like Phillip Rivers have surgery in January and be back by minicamp. There is no way it is a 12-month recovery, improved rehab has cut that by about half. After that, it is a matter of getting back in football shape and overcoming the mental hurdles.

An ACL nowadays is a 6 month recovery. Players are on a treadmill at 10 weeks and are running and cutting at about 3-4 months. From then on, it is strengthening and improving range of motion. It is a fully healthy knee in 6-8, but the mental part is left.

Goobylal
04-21-2010, 09:59 AM
You're looking at the best case scenario, if he were a young guy, NE. And rushing him back only endangers his future career. That's why I don't see him returning this year. And he's an UFA in 2012, which might tempt the Pats to IR him, so they can re-sign him cheap.

Ickybaluky
04-21-2010, 10:47 AM
You're looking at the best case scenario, if he were a young guy, NE. And rushing him back only endangers his future career. That's why I don't see him returning this year. And he's an UFA in 2012, which might tempt the Pats to IR him, so they can re-sign him cheap.

I think the injury is completely different nowadays. Guys come back a lot quicker because of advances they have made in rehabbing. It is a 6-month rehab with the advances they have made in recent seasons. The healing is the easy part, it is the other parts that will take time.

An ACL injury nowadays is a completely different animal than it was a few years ago. It used to be a career-threatening deal, but it has come a long way.

And I'm not saying he will be the same player. That is a complete unknown, because there is a wide range of results with an injury like this. It is possible he will never re-gain pre-injury form. However, he will definitely be back. He may start the year on the PUP, but he will definitely be back.

Prov401
04-21-2010, 01:10 PM
Yea, an ACL injury is typically 6-8 months as posted way back. Phillip Rivers and Carson Palmer both had torn ACL's in the middle of January, only to start the NFL season behind center 8 months later with no ill effects.

With Welker, it may take a bit longer because he is a WR, but, with as many great doctors, trainers, and great work out programs as there is out there, I wouldn't be suprised to see Wes back in September/October.

Ickybaluky
06-02-2010, 10:54 AM

The story of the day as the New England Patriots took part in organized team activities was the presence of receiver Wes Welker on the practice field.

Welker, who is recovering from February surgery to repair a torn ACL, wore a brace over the knee and took part in drills early in the session. Welker was seen running routes at about 75 percent speed as the practice was held at high tempo but was not at a full-speed pace.

One visual from Welker on the field was seeing him run 10 yards, stop quickly and then turn to catch a pass from quarterback Tom Brady. Welker did not appear to be cutting as sharply as he normally would but that is to be expected given his surgery came just about four months ago.

LINK (http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4679111/welker-on-the-field-for-patriots-at-otas)

better days
06-02-2010, 11:51 AM
I think the injury is completely different nowadays. Guys come back a lot quicker because of advances they have made in rehabbing. It is a 6-month rehab with the advances they have made in recent seasons. The healing is the easy part, it is the other parts that will take time.

An ACL injury nowadays is a completely different animal than it was a few years ago. It used to be a career-threatening deal, but it has come a long way.

And I'm not saying he will be the same player. That is a complete unknown, because there is a wide range of results with an injury like this. It is possible he will never re-gain pre-injury form. However, he will definitely be back. He may start the year on the PUP, but he will definitely be back.

I think you mean guys come back quicker because of the use of HGH. I would bet the Pats* have Welker Hooked up with a good HGH dealer.

Ickybaluky
06-02-2010, 01:39 PM
I think you mean guys come back quicker because of the use of HGH. I would bet the Pats* have Welker Hooked up with a good HGH dealer.

No, I didn't mean that.

Goobylal
06-02-2010, 05:12 PM
LINK (http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4679111/welker-on-the-field-for-patriots-at-otas)
Yeah, I heard about that today. If he can come back this season and be 100%, I'll be impressed. But I'll also think, like better days, that he had help.

X-Era
06-02-2010, 05:33 PM
Per Michael Smith via Twitter.

That would be a great short term move for Pats, I think.

I think hes pretty washed up at this point. It doesn't scare me at all.

YardRat
06-02-2010, 05:38 PM
Good...I hope he comes back and is 100%. When we beat the Pats, I don't wanna hear any "But if we would've had Welker..." whining.

better days
06-02-2010, 10:16 PM
No, I didn't mean that.

Of course you would never admit the Pats* cheat. The Pats* are the BP Oil of the NFL.

Ickybaluky
06-02-2010, 11:39 PM
The Pats* are the BP Oil of the NFL.

And the Bills are... ?

http://image.shutterstock.com/display_pic_with_logo/295900/295900,1256593660,10/stock-photo-old-dirty-gas-stations-39644659.jpg

better days
06-03-2010, 07:45 AM
And the Bills are... ?

http://image.shutterstock.com/display_pic_with_logo/295900/295900,1256593660,10/stock-photo-old-dirty-gas-stations-39644659.jpg

The broken pipe.