PDA

View Full Version : The difference a top OT can make

The Spaz
04-20-2010, 01:01 PM
The debate can go on forever because there are equally good arguments on both sides of the QB vs. OT debate for the Bills at ninth overall. Many believe a QB can have a greater impact than an offensive tackle. With the ball in his hands on every play it’s hard to argue against that, but I’m going to take a shot at it.

The example I’ll use is Michael Oher. Taken 23rd overall last year, Oher had a huge impact on the offense’s effectiveness. Here’s a cross section of Baltimore’s improvement offensively with Oher added to their front line.

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2010/04/20/the-difference-a-top-ot-can-make/

justasportsfan
04-20-2010, 01:05 PM
Duh!

ddaryl
04-20-2010, 01:06 PM
If there was a QB with Peyton manning like characterisitcs in this draft I would be all for going balls out in this draft to getting that QB

but a young arm from this draft is going to take some time, and our trenches are not in order.

You want to help a rookie arm, the best way is to have a dependable consistent running attack, and the abiliyt to keep the QB upright. Too many hits shatters nerves and confidence and your investment can quickly evaporate.

The game is won and lost in the trenches, we need ot get the trenches order. Run and stop the run.... It doesn't have to be a 1st rd OL pick, but we shouldn't be grabbing any QB in the 1st rd outside of Bradford who proabably isn't getting past St. Louis

Mahdi
04-20-2010, 01:13 PM
The debate can go on forever because there are equally good arguments on both sides of the QB vs. OT debate for the Bills at ninth overall. Many believe a QB can have a greater impact than an offensive tackle. With the ball in his hands on every play it’s hard to argue against that, but I’m going to take a shot at it.

The example I’ll use is Michael Oher. Taken 23rd overall last year, Oher had a huge impact on the offense’s effectiveness. Here’s a cross section of Baltimore’s improvement offensively with Oher added to their front line.

I don't think it's about whether a QB or an OT would have a bigger impact.

I think it's about who is the better player.

If it's between Okung and Clausen, then it's Okung. T. Williams and Clausen, you take T. Williams. Bulaga and Clausen is a toss up. Anthony Davis and Clausen then you go with Clausen.

And that is only if the team is resigned to taking either a QB or OT. Once you add other players like Spiller and Bryant it complicates it even further.

At the end of the day it's not about who will have the biggest impact day one, it's about who is the best player we can add to our roster.

It comes down to, do you want Duane Brown and Brandon Lafell OR Larry Fitzgerald and Jared Veldheer?

I think the second combo adds more value to your team.

The Jokeman
04-20-2010, 02:30 PM
I don't think it's about whether a QB or an OT would have a bigger impact.

I think it's about who is the better player.

If it's between Okung and Clausen, then it's Okung. T. Williams and Clausen, you take T. Williams. Bulaga and Clausen is a toss up. Anthony Davis and Clausen then you go with Clausen.

And that is only if the team is resigned to taking either a QB or OT. Once you add other players like Spiller and Bryant it complicates it even further.

At the end of the day it's not about who will have the biggest impact day one, it's about who is the best player we can add to our roster.

It comes down to, do you want Duane Brown and Brandon Lafell OR Larry Fitzgerald and Jared Veldheer?

I think the second combo adds more value to your team.
I have one small issue with your comparison, any draft is about collecting the best group of talent then round by round. The reason I am saying this is yes, Clausen grades out as a better Davis. Yet does Davis and the next best QB, I'm going to say Tebow since he's the consensus 3rd best QB rank better then Claussen and say LT Safford?

Mahdi
04-20-2010, 02:42 PM
I have one small issue with your comparison, any draft is about collecting the best group of talent then round by round. The reason I am saying this is yes, Clausen grades out as a better Davis. Yet does Davis and the next best QB, I'm going to say Tebow since he's the consensus 3rd best QB rank better then Claussen and say LT Safford?
Claussen/Saffold would be the better combo for sure.

Anthony Davis is raw and so is Tebow. Both are huge risks. Essentially drafting Aaron Maybin twice.

Claussen is a polished QB though and so is Saffold as an OT. My issue with Saffold for Buffalo is that he isn't very physical, more of a finesse OT.

Mahdi
04-20-2010, 02:47 PM
This is exactly why I don't want an OT or even a QB with our first rounder unless it is Bradford, Okung or Trent Williams.

I could live with Bulaga and Clausen.

Ideally though, I hope we take the top offensive playmaker available which should be Bryant or Spiller.

Spiller more so than Bryant because any QB we start will be able to turn and hand-off to Spiller 15-25 times a game but whether or not he will be able to connect with Bryant consistently is a huge question mark.

Spiller instantly makes our offense a threat.

The Jokeman
04-20-2010, 02:49 PM
This is exactly why I don't want an OT or even a QB with our first rounder unless it is Bradford, Okung or Trent Williams.

I could live with Bulaga and Clausen.

Ideally though, I hope we take the top offensive playmaker available which should be Bryant or Spiller.

Spiller more so than Bryant because any QB we start will be able to turn and hand-off to Spiller 15-25 times a game but whether or not he will be able to connect with Bryant consistently is a huge question mark.

Spiller instantly makes our offense a threat.

I agree that if chosing between Spiller, Bryant, Clausen or Davis that would take one of the top 2. Spiller would make the most immediate impact but think Bryant might be the best short term/long term value pick.

better days
04-20-2010, 03:11 PM

I don't think the example works because Baltimore already has a GOOD QB. Do you think he would have had as big an impact with Kyle Boler at QB? I don't.

billz83
04-20-2010, 06:15 PM
U would think this is common sense?! our OLINE is an absolute nightmare situation! we drafted 2 decent olinemen last year and our oline is still CRAP! We need to FIX this oline..we have ignored it for over a decade and look at the results... I think this incompetent FO needs to finally fix this Oline once and for all.

jamze132
04-21-2010, 03:23 AM
We have sucked for a decade because OBD has completely overvalued their own people on the O-line. They have ignored outstanding OTs and Gs in lieu of a punt catcher or a running back with a busted ass knee. I am very glad we a finally starting to realize the importance of the trenches. It just sucks balls that it took this organization 10+ ****ing years to realize.