• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bill Cody
    • Sep 2004

This QB analysis has to be right

from Scout.com

Point No. 1: Out of the top four quarterbacks in the draft, Sam Bradford and Colt McCoy are the most likely to succeed.
    Most people have Oklahoma's Sam Bradford, Notre Dame's Jimmy Clausen, Texas' Colt McCoy and Florida's Tim Tebow in the top tier of this year's crop of quarterbacks. Out of the four, I see the most potential for success in Bradford and McCoy, but since I'm not an NFL quarterbacks coach or pro scout, I checked in this past weekend with a former NFL quarterbacks coach who's worked with some of the league's top quarterbacks. I asked him to share his analysis based on his personal observations and on what he's been hearing from other NFL coaches and scouts. Here's what he had to say about each of the high-profile prospects:
    • On Sam Bradford: "He's fundamentally strong and sees the field really well. He makes all the throws and throws a very catchable ball. According to what I've heard, his shoulder is still a little loose and there's been some talk about whether his knees will be an issue. But he's the most NFL-ready of the four and the lowest gamble. When you look at guys like Tom Brady, Peyton Manning and Drew Brees, they're balanced in the pocket. And even though Bradford worked out of the spread, he comes to balance very well in his drop, he's very smooth with his release and he's a good decision-maker."
    • On Jimmy Clausen: "Jimmy had a great year, but even though he was schooled at Notre Dame by Charlie Weis, I'm just not sure how smart Jimmy really is. His [Wonderlic] test score wasn't super high, and his brothers, Casey and Rick both appeared to struggle mentally at the position. Sometimes he comes off as though he believes he's got it all figured out, and I don't know if that's a good quality. He's got a big-time arm, but I think that with Jimmy, what you see right now is all you're going to get. I think he can be good, but I don't think he's going to be great."

27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000 width=1 height=1>

• On Colt McCoy: "With time, I think he's going to be better than Jimmy — I think he's got a bigger upside. He's got the good body type and he's athletic. Over the past year, he's gotten better balance in the pocket, a better feel for staying in the pocket and feeling the rush, sliding and climbing when he needs to. He understands where to go with the ball based on coverage. Out of the four, he made the most improvement when you compare the last two seasons. He's a great kid and is very humble even though he's coming out of a big-time program — and he's eager to learn."
    • On Tim Tebow: "As I've watched him, I haven't seen a pure enough passer to feel real good about the guy. I love all the intangibles, but he doesn't throw great balls. The ball flutters on him a lot, he sails it, kind of sprays it at times. The NFL is a passing league, and you have to be able to convert on third down by throwing the football. And if you're not accurate from point A to point B, it's going to be difficult to succeed. As good of a guy and athlete that he is, as good as his intangibles are, he still has to be able to throw the ball to move the chains, and I don't know if he can do it consistently enough to be a full-time quarterback in the NFL. Maybe he can develop his consistency over time, but he's a project."
    So this is one person's take but it covers the issue pretty accurately IMHO.
  • Bill Cody
    • Sep 2004

Re: This QB analysis has to be right

bump

Comment

• ddaryl
      Everything I post is sexual inuendo
      • Jan 2005

That was very well put IMO. Sums up the way I feel as well.

Comment

• Mahdi
        • Mar 2004

I am very ok with Spiller and one of Tebow or McCoy in round 2. I really like McCoy and his similarity to Brees, great accuracy, good mobility and he can really see the field well. I like Tebow for all his intangibles and leadership.

Comment

• TMu11
          • Mar 2010

Good find. I like reading opinions from people in the know, rather than basement kids undying love for a QB.
          I like McCoy and expect him to make the biggest impact in the future.
          After Every Dark Night Comes a Brighter Day

Comment

Working...
          X