PDA

View Full Version : The Draft is boring enough...

THATHURMANATOR
04-21-2010, 10:07 AM
******ed.

WeAreArthurMoates
04-21-2010, 10:15 AM
Really I dont think it's boring at all. I love seeing who's getting taken before the Bills and hoping the guy I want slips to them. Like Nelson last year.

Dr. Lecter
04-21-2010, 10:16 AM
:shakeno:

It's not boring at all.

THATHURMANATOR
04-21-2010, 10:21 AM
It has to be the most boring thing of all time. Not saying I don't watch every second I can but it like paint drying.

hydro
04-21-2010, 10:22 AM
I love watching Jets and Dolphins fan reactions when their picks suck.

justasportsfan
04-21-2010, 10:23 AM
would have liked it better if day 1 were rounds 1 and 2.

The Spaz
agree I loved making a weekend out of it!:( :sad:

THATHURMANATOR
I actually get douche chills. It is like they must Boo no matter what.

THATHURMANATOR
04-21-2010, 10:24 AM
would have liked it better if day 1 were rounds 1 and 2.
Yeah have it done on Thursday and Friday and I would have been all in. No need for Saturday. I actually have a hockey game Tomorrow though so I will probably miss the whole thing.

Dr. Lecter
04-21-2010, 10:27 AM

I really can't get joy out of that anymore knowing that the Bills picks suck even more than theirs do.

hydro
04-21-2010, 10:28 AM
I really can't get joy out of that anymore knowing that the Bills picks suck even more than theirs do.

In this case I just like that they get to join in our pain. Misery loves company.

TacklingDummy
04-21-2010, 10:35 AM
It's only boring because it takes so long for some teams to pick. 5 minutes is more than enough time. They should already know before the draft starts who they want to pick and plan B if that pick is gone.

wmoz11
04-21-2010, 10:36 AM
I love the draft, but hate the new schedule. I always looked forward to watching the draft and drinking all day Saturday, while also watching playoff afternoon hockey when available.

DraftBoy
04-21-2010, 10:39 AM
The draft move was done for one big reason;

Dominate the news...keep in mind when the draft is held during. The restart of Baseball season and the NBA, and NHL playoffs.

Look at ESPN.com's front page the last two days, what is the coverage of? NFL Schedule release and Big Ben. Tomorrow-Sunday will be all draft.

The NFL is the best at dominating news cycles, even during their offseason the draft will score the best ratings of any sport on TV those days.

Genius move, and genius plan.

That being said Im with Spaz I loved making my weekend out of it.

Mahdi
04-21-2010, 10:44 AM
******ed.
Actually it's pretty smart. It increases ratings. People usually watch the first round and then start fading out towards the end of the second round and never come back to watch. Just track the picks.

This way, you are creating 3 separate events on three different days. With this format people will tune in to each event rather than watching one dragging on event that you eventually tune out of.

SABURZFAN
04-21-2010, 10:44 AM
i would think that this only brings in more money for the NFL. stretching it out 3 days seems to make sense but i guess they'll wait for the ratings to see if it is successful.

THATHURMANATOR
04-21-2010, 10:45 AM
Actually it's pretty smart. It increases ratings. People usually watch the first round and then start fading out towards the end of the second round and never come back to watch. Just track the picks.

This way, you are creating 3 separate events on three different days. With this format people will tune in to each event rather than watching one dragging on event that you eventually tune out of.
I am not talking ratings. I understand that part of it.

In fact it is just more of the commercialization of the sport that has been sickening me for quite some time.

ddaryl
04-21-2010, 10:47 AM
I hate the thursday and Friday format and I sincerely hopes it fails and they revert back to Saturday Sunday format like it should be...

I personally think (hope) they will lose viewership on Thursday

THATHURMANATOR
04-21-2010, 10:48 AM
I hate the thursday and Friday format and I sincerely hopes it fails and they revert back to Saturday Sunday format like it should be...

I personally think (hope) they will lose viewership on Thursday
Well I know I personally wont be watching along with my whole hockey team that would have watched because our game is at 8:30.

RockStar36
04-21-2010, 10:52 AM
It's usually boring, but I love the switch to a 3 day even. Now I'm not wasting my entire Saturday watching it. Thursday night is TV time anyways, so why not watch the draft? Good move by the NFL.

DraftBoy
04-21-2010, 10:54 AM
Well I know I personally wont be watching along with my whole hockey team that would have watched because our game is at 8:30.
The ratings are going to crush everything else.

This won't fail imo.

Ron Burgundy
04-21-2010, 10:56 AM
It's background noise, like when a golf tournament is on.

THATHURMANATOR
04-21-2010, 11:01 AM
It's background noise, like when a golf tournament is on.
The only thing more boring than the draft. I would never watch a golf tournament.

EricStratton
04-21-2010, 11:03 AM
I assume they will report the picks online or in the paper or maybe even with a crawl on the screen so I can't imagine sitting for 3 hours to watch the first round.

DraftBoy
04-21-2010, 11:20 AM
I assume they will report the picks online or in the paper or maybe even with a crawl on the screen so I can't imagine sitting for 3 hours to watch the first round.

They do the same thing for sporting events and tv shows (with spoilers and crap), by the logic in your post what is even the point of watching any TV show.

EricStratton
04-21-2010, 11:42 AM
Because those things have action, Thursday has Roger Goddell reading names followed by Chris Berman for 14.5 minutes.

DraftBoy
04-21-2010, 11:45 AM
Because those things have action, Thursday has Roger Goddell reading names followed by Chris Berman for 14.5 minutes.

I understand that and I get your point which is that the shows entertain you while this doesn't, though it does for others.

However the draft has actions they show a highlight reel for about every player picked, so there is the same semblance of action that is in a game, just not the same level of it.

My point was that if you're biggest issue is that you can easily find out the results in seconds without wasting your time watching it then how would that not apply to everything else you watch?

The Draft can get very mundane to people, I dont expect every fan to watch every minute. It happens, some people like it some people don't.

HAMMER
04-21-2010, 11:49 AM
Back in the day there was no interest in the draft, no one cared. The NFL is getting out of control, it really pains me to watch a football game anymore with the commercials every other play. When I can, I DVR a game and watch it in 1/3 the time.

TheGhostofJimKelly
04-21-2010, 11:52 AM
Boring? I pretty much love every second of it. The only thing that sucks is the commercials. Hell, I can watch the last three rounds and be excited.

WeAreArthurMoates
04-21-2010, 11:54 AM
Unfortuanatly this format will not fail. It's going to be a hit. I miss the weekend format but I will make the best of it. From now on I will take thursday and friday off, luckily I got friday off so I can drink my face off.

justasportsfan
04-21-2010, 11:54 AM
they should have ring girls holding the draft pick nos. when Godell announces the pick .

billz83
04-21-2010, 03:25 PM
they are going to drag this draft out! Teams are going to have TOOO much time to pick and sum teams are going to take a ridiculous amount of time to pick! I only really care about the first 2 days anyway..

trapezeus
04-21-2010, 04:04 PM
they did it to bully ESPN. I think if they can prove that people came to NFL network during prime time, they'll ask a kings ransome for next year's primetime draft. if it fails, they'll go back to the saturday sunday admitting, that thursday tv is usually a higher ratings grab for actual shows than a directionless 3 hours of first round picks

THATHURMANATOR
04-21-2010, 04:20 PM
Back in the day there was no interest in the draft, no one cared. The NFL is getting out of control, it really pains me to watch a football game anymore with the commercials every other play. When I can, I DVR a game and watch it in 1/3 the time.
:bf1:

SquishDaFish
04-21-2010, 04:33 PM
I love the draft and dont think its boring. But after saying that I dont like the new schedule. I loved making a weekend of it and drinking while just watching the draft.