• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • patmoran2006
    Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
    • Dec 2005

11th Hour: Hoping Nix Remembers 2001

After what seems like an eternity of speculation, the time for the NFL draft has finally arrived. For football die hards or fans of the movie “Step Brothers”, it’s bigger than the (expletive) Catalina Wine Mixer!

I won’t make this overly long and drawn out; Lord knows you’ll get your fill of draft day stuff from outlets all over the web. Six days ago I compiled my one (and only) NFL mock draft, and with the ninth pick I had the Buffalo Bills selecting defensive end/linebacker Derrick Morgan.

Upon further review, I’m hopeful my premonition was erroneous.

It’s not that I don’t like Morgan because I unquestionably do. I won’t be jumping from chair, throwing my notebook or kicking the family dog if Morgan’s name gets called. He’s going to be a good NFL player, maybe a great one. We can certainly do a lot worse and in recent years, we have emphatically

Some of the things I stated in my mock I continue to stand by. As someone who’s admittedly not watched a lot of college football overall but has feasted his eyes on an abundance of Notre Dame games, I don’t want Jimmy Clausen in Buffalo. I’ve seen nothing from him that screams out franchise quarterback. No matter how bad your defense plays, if you can’t lead your universally privileged team over the likes of Navy and Syracuse, how are you going to dethrone New York and New England? I just don’t think much of him— But maybe that’s just me.

I also don’t want an offensive tackle with the ninth pick. It’s not that I don’t think we need one, I just don’t want Buddy Nix spending his first-ever draft pick as GM on the third or fourth rated tackle. If we take one third or fourth of f the board for better or worse I’ll feel our guy is one at least a half dozen teams considered in front of us and passed on. Anthony Davis may turn out to be an elite tackle, but maturity issues scare me. Bryan Bulaga may be “safe”, but the best thing I routinely hear about him is how well he was coached in college. Some don’t even think he projects to a left tackle.

Regardless, right now I feel drafting either would be like getting Seattle or Oakland’s leftovers. Again, maybe that’s just me.

I’ve also said the Bills value Kyle Williams more than you or I do and will find creative ways to use him. Therefore I don’t think a player like Dan Williams is worth the ninth pick.

You get the theme; I can go on and on.

nstead I want Nix to really swing for the fences Thursday night. It didn’t happen for me until late tonight, but suddenly I find myself hoping…. Really hoping Nix swings that bat so hard he falls out of his southern shoes and tabs running back C.J. Spiller.

I’ve been so opposed to the idea I confess to barely watching any video or conducting research on him. My attitude has been with Fred Jackson and budding train wreck Marshawn Lynch in tow, Spiller would be too much of a “luxury” pick. But at the 11th hour, I began moving my google searches and getting my eyes on every highlight tape I could of the Clemson kid. I also emailed a few scout contacts I’ve acquired and asked specifically about him. The consensus was pretty straight-forward.

He’s special.

He can put six points on the board ANYTIME he touches the ball and the Bills don’t currently have that. I’m still firm that the Bills will move Lynch, whether its draft weekend or sometime afterward. I like Jackson a lot, but he’s not a home run hitter. You get Spiller on your team and he can score or at the very least flip field position at any time. He has great hands, he’s a special kick returner and from what I’ve heard and read he’s better at pass protection than given credit for.

When it comes to my newfound desire for Buffalo’s second pick, I even surprised myself. I have been on the record as against it seemingly forever, but as with Spiller, I’ve changed my mind at the last minute.

I now also want Tim Tebow.

Yep. It took me this long, but he’s won me over. I’m not a football executive and positively not a scout. I can’t amply dissect all of Tebow’s mechanics and how they will translate at the next level. I can tell you this; he’s a winner, and any interview you read or see will demonstrate how badly this young man wants to succeed. Check out the Tebow video from the Jon Gruden camp series.

Maybe the meds I’m on for the flu I’ve contracted has me a touch emotional, but his attitude and ethic literally moved me.

I think he has the intangibles and desire to be a winner in this league. He’s utterly believable when he says that he’ll be the first person in the building and the last out every day. He’s a leader, his teammates love him and he’s the kind of guy you want to go to war with. Could you say the same about Trent Edwards, JP Losman, Kelly Holcomb, Rob Johnson or anyone else (besides maybe Doug Flutie) in the post-Jim Kelly era.

Most importantly, he’s won. He’s won at the highest level in college, in the toughest conference and in the biggest spotlight. Forget every game.. every play he’s run has been scrutinized by critics over the past few years.
    Cynics cite former Heisman busts like Charlie Ward, Eric Crouch and Danny Wuerffel as comparisons. I don’t call them cynics… I call them haters.

Gruden said on ESPN Wednesday night that Tebow is the best left handed quarterback to come in the league since Steve Young.

Color me sold.

Sure, he may not even play a down in 2010. But are the Bills going anywhere this season? Let Trent Edwards or Ryan Fitzpatrick play out the string and give Tebow time to learn the NFL game. Tebow isn’t a quick fix but rather a long-term investment.

For the record, I don’t think Tebow will be available with the 41st pick. Buffalo would have to move up to get him. I’m OK with that. I feel Tebow is a quality pick worth moving up the board. If he turns out to be good, you won’t be complaining three years from now that the Bills gave up a third or fourth rounder to get him.

Maybe the Bills could even kill two birds with one stone. The Detroit Lions badly want a running back and despite what Nix tells you—and you’ll have to trust me on this… the Bills would love to unload Lynch. How about a trade with the Lions where they swap second rounders and the Bills give up Lynch and get a late rounder back, perhaps a sixth rounder. Moving up to No. 34 would vault them past second round threats to take Tebow like Cleveland, Oakland or even Philadelphia.

In 2001 the San Diego Chargers drafted LaDainain Tomlinson and came back with Drew Brees early in the second. Nix was a part of the Chargers draft-team then and both turned out pretty good, albeit Brees with another team.

I‘d be fond of seeing him do the same in running his first in Buffalo.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE
  • jamze132
    Don’t hate…
    • Jun 2003

Re: 11th Hour: Hoping Nix Remembers 2001

Its about time you came around to what a lot of us have been saying. I am have been a huge fan of Spiller and Tebow, especially Tebow.

Comment

• bosshogg21
      • Aug 2007

I feel the exact same way and that is exactly how I would like our first two picks to go. I do not want to draft another player with our first that will most likely have an average NFL career. I want a household name superstar on this team and we can get that with spiller. We can also sell tickets and get all the espn coverage your hearts desire with the selection of tebow later in the round.

Comment

• plundar
        • Mar 2006

I agree with you Pat. I would love to see the both of them in Bills Uni's. I think the Bills need to go BPA at 9. Should be interesting draft. 1st one in years that the mocks for the Bills have been all over the place.

Comment

• Don't Panic
          All-Pro Zoner
          • Dec 2005

I'll give you this... Tebow could use a Spiller to take some pressure off. If Nelson and Hardy developed, we'd have a nice set of young weapons.

BUT, we would have the same OLine as last year (albeit healthier), no NT, and no starter quality OLB if Schobel doesn't return. Had those positions been filled, I'd say OK. But you're only going to fill one of them this weekend without trading up, and probably none if you do trade up.

It would be laden with luxury no doubt, but you better be ready for a 2-14 season if we do it, because we won't be blocking very well and won't be able to stop many of the team on that schedule. And we're still going to have a boatload of needs to fill next year.

I'm not 100% against it... I see your direction, but I can't believe that Gailey would want to get on board will a full-on rebuilding project that hasn't even hit it's low point yet. We're talking three years minimum before this team even thinks about the Playoffs. Between what he and Nix have said about trying to be competitive sooner, it just doesn't seem to jive.

Comment

• jamze132
            Don’t hate…
            • Jun 2003

Originally posted by Don't Panic
            I'll give you this... Tebow could use a Spiller to take some pressure off. If Nelson and Hardy developed, we'd have a nice set of young weapons.

BUT, we would have the same OLine as last year (albeit healthier), no NT, and no starter quality OLB if Schobel doesn't return. Had those positions been filled, I'd say OK. But you're only going to fill one of them this weekend without trading up, and probably none if you do trade up.

It would be laden with luxury no doubt, but you better be ready for a 2-14 season if we do it, because we won't be blocking very well and won't be able to stop many of the team on that schedule. And we're still going to have a boatload of needs to fill next year.

I'm not 100% against it... I see your direction, but I can't believe that Gailey would want to get on board will a full-on rebuilding project that hasn't even hit it's low point yet. We're talking three years minimum before this team even thinks about the Playoffs. Between what he and Nix have said about trying to be competitive sooner, it just doesn't seem to jive.
            We're gonna be 2-14 regardless of who we draft. New offense + new defense = growing pains.

Comment

• Don't Panic
              All-Pro Zoner
              • Dec 2005

Originally posted by jamze132
              We're gonna be 2-14 regardless of who we draft. New offense + new defense = growing pains.
              That sounds like confidence... how about 10k ZBs on it? I'll give you 3-13 as the push point. Anything better than that, I win, anything worse, you win. What do you say?

Comment

• cbatl32
                • Jan 2010

Can't get behind the Spiller pick. This would fall into the same category as the Donahoe regime. Picking specialty players instead of working on the trenches. We need big guys to build our trenches. Average RB's can be great with great offensive lines. Great RB's are inevitably average with poor offensive lines. Spiller will not be great with the two tackles we have on our roster right now. And getting Tebow in the second means we won't even draft an OT until the 3rd round. Spiller is by far the WORST pick we could make with our first selection.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                  Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
                  • May 2003

My hope is that we stop ignoring our obvious problems on the O and D lines. We haven't been able to protect our QBs or stop the run in years.

I pray that a good football man like Nix doesn't turn into a charlatan like Donahoe.
                  Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• mikemac2001
                    is the creepy cross dresser staring at you in the corner
                    • Mar 2003

Spiller and Ot in 2nd and dt in third I'd be ok with

Anything else I don't see them fixing the problem

What people don't get is a playmaker can turn a 2-3 yard gain to a 4-6 gain even behind an average line

Playmakers improve the team and those few extra yards = a fewore first downs which = more points and a rested d which is better

MUCK
                    FIAMI

Comment

• alohabillsfan
                      • Sep 2003

I would be very cautious of Spiller, he has toted the rock for a long time in Clemson. He has got some mileage on him. I would love to invest in a pick at 9 that will be a francise guy for 10 years. To me that screams QB, OT, NT or DE just my thoughts. ll needs for us.

Comment

• Mahdi
                        • Mar 2004

Welcome to the light. It's nicer over here where first round picks = the best players available.

Comment

• WeAreArthurMoates
                          • Feb 2009

I still want Dan Williams. He will solidfy our defense and with Kyle and Spencer as the subs, our d line would be among the best. Sure we need an OLB but our run D will be good to great next year.

Comment

• Mahdi
                            • Mar 2004

Originally posted by WeAreMarshawn23
                            I still want Dan Williams. He will solidfy our defense and with Kyle and Spencer as the subs, our d line would be among the best. Sure we need an OLB but our run D will be good to great next year.
                            Why don't you have look see at where most of the top pluggers in the NFL were drafted and then by comparison have a look see where all the best offensive playmakers in the NFL were drafted.

Then tell me you still want a plugger over a playmaker in the top 10.

Comment

• jamze132
                              Don’t hate…
                              • Jun 2003

Originally posted by Don't Panic
                              That sounds like confidence... how about 10k ZBs on it? I'll give you 3-13 as the push point. Anything better than that, I win, anything worse, you win. What do you say?
                              My actual official prediction which you will have to search for because I am not is 4-12.

And you are exactly right, I have no confidence this season. Like I said, everything will be new. But I do have much, much higher expectations for 2011.
                              Last edited by jamze132; 04-22-2010, 07:55 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X