PDA

View Full Version : Instead of a splash, Bills need solid picks

ddaryl
04-22-2010, 12:19 PM
http://www.buffalonews.com/2010/04/21/1026975/sullivan-instead-of-a-splash-bills.html

"Don't get us pinned down and don't get yourself pinned down thinking it's got to be this position or this position," Nix said, "because it may not be. If the guys we think can make that impact at nine are not there, then we are going to take the best player on the board. And man, I'm telling you, it might be a defensive guy."

I like the sound of that. The Bills have too many needs to limit themselves. Sure, they need an offensive tackle. They need a quarterback. But they shouldn't take the fourth-best tackle just to fill a need. They have a desperate need for playmakers on a defense that has been suspect for years. They keep a lot of games close, but the run defense is horrid and they don't punish teams or put enough pressure on quarterbacks.

This is considered one of the deepest drafts in years, partly because 53 underclassmen came out early (11 defensive linemen). There are a lot of defensive studs in this class, which is being compared to the quarterback class of 1983 in terms of defensive talent.

The Bills are going to a 3-4 defense under Chan Gailey. They need impact defenders. If the top offensive tackles are gone, and they don't take a quarterback, the Bills will likely go defense with their first pick. Dan Williams, the best potential nose tackle, would be a good pick. So would Rolando McClain, a dynamic linebacker, or Derrick Morgan, a defensive end.

"We believe the way you build a football team is by putting as many good players as you can, stacking them on top of each other and let them compete," Nix said. "We want to get a great football player in the first two rounds."

Get great players, regardless of position, and watch things fall into place. That's what the Bills have failed at consistently for the past decade. Get players who will be in the league for a decade and make Pro Bowls.

Basically the quotes support the fact that the Bills don't have to reach for anyone.... They have so many needs that all positions are open. This also opens up the possibility to the luxury picks many of us fear.

but there also seems to be hints at trading back to take advantage of this deep draft.

The last buffalo fan
04-22-2010, 12:33 PM
I'm now on the Nix's bandwagon! :up: :bandwagon :gobills:

justasportsfan
04-22-2010, 12:39 PM
this is why I don't think we'll reach for Tebow with the 9th pick.

alohabillsfan
04-22-2010, 12:43 PM
I would not be surprisd to see us move down twice today! Teams looking to move
NYG, SF, Phily and Dallas just to name a few...

ddaryl
04-22-2010, 12:44 PM
I would not be surprisd to see us move down twice today! Teams looking to move
NYG, SF, Phily and Dallas just to name a few...

Right on... I've been thinking that way too... Just ot hard ot call or predict. :question:

I do think we move back at least once though.

tat2dmike77
04-22-2010, 12:45 PM
this is why I don't think we'll reach for Tebow with the 9th pick.

If he is picked in the first round then he needs to thank the media for hyping him up

justasportsfan
04-22-2010, 12:49 PM
If he is picked in the first round then he needs to thank the media for hyping him up

and I will have my doubts about Nix and co. until Tebow takes the field and proves that Nix was right.