X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The Spaz
    • Mar 2003

Spiller pick risky, but could pay off for Bills

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. -- Three years ago, the Miami Dolphins drafted Ted Ginn ninth overall.

Skeptics viewed Ginn as a luxury, while the Dolphins had visions of unleashing the speedster as a versatile threat in the passing game and special teams.

Last week, the Dolphins dumped Ginn for a fifth-round draft choice.

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. -- Three years ago, the Miami Dolphins drafted Ted Ginn ninth overall.Skeptics viewed Ginn as a luxury, while the Dolphins had visions of unleashing the speedster as a versatile threat in the passing game and special teams.
  • BillsWin
    man amongst boys
    • Oct 2008

Re: Spiller pick risky, but could pay off for Bills

Even mentioning Ginn and Spiller in the same sentence when comparing two players is ignorant.

This pick isn't like the Ginn pick. Ginn came completely out of left field, while Spiller was widely considered a top 5-10 player overall in the draft.

We got a top 5 player (IMO) at nine. I have NO problem with that.

Taking Ginn at nine was laughable.

Taking Spiller at nine adds a DANGEROUS weapon.

T.O was labeled as a weapon, but this kid is actually the real deal.

Just watch. This kid is going to be good.
    I am The Batman.

Comment

• TonyIncredible
      • Apr 2010

Originally posted by BillsWin
      Even mentioning Ginn and Spiller in the same sentence when comparing two players is ignorant.

This pick isn't like the Ginn pick. Ginn came completely out of left field, while Spiller was widely considered a top 5-10 player overall in the draft.

I endorse everything this man just stated. To compare the two is completely and utterly moronic! But eh thats espn analysts for ya.
      Still The One and Only

Comment

• Bling
        • Jul 2004

I didn't think like that, but it makes a ton of sense. Spiller will be a better Ted Ginn. Not that that means much.

Comment

• Lexwhat
          • Feb 2005

Beat me to it.

Comment

• Romes
            • Jul 2002

This reminds me more of the McGahee pick when we had Henry and a lot of other needs. Granted its also very different because Spiller isn't coming off major knee surgery and by all accounts has a much better character.
            Originally posted by paladin warrior
            RALPH is drove me nut.

Comment

• Philagape
              WIN NOW
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Romes
              This reminds me more of the McGahee pick when we had Henry and a lot of other needs. Granted its also very different because Spiller isn't coming off major knee surgery and by all accounts has a much better character.
              Which makes the point moot.

Besides, considering what happened to Henry, RB was a need too.
              "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
              2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

• The Spaz
                • Mar 2003

Ginn comparison was dumb. Most everyone knew Spiller was top ten talent.

Comment

• Michael82
                  • Jul 2002

Great post!

Comment

• Philagape
                    WIN NOW
                    • Jul 2002

CJ Spiller is, right now, the best player on the Buffalo Bills.
                    "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
                    2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

• Romes
                      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Philagape
                      Which makes the point moot.

Besides, considering what happened to Henry, RB was a need too.
                      Not really, we still have a ton of other needs at critical positions. I don't mind the pick. I think it definitely makes us better but its more of piling on a strength rather than fixing a hole.
                      RALPH is drove me nut.

Comment

• Commissioner
                        • Dec 2004

Originally posted by Romes
                        Not really, we still have a ton of other needs at critical positions. I don't mind the pick. I think it definitely makes us better but its more of piling on a strength rather than fixing a hole.
                        RB was a hole considering we have a degenerate RB who doesn't appear interested in playing in Buffalo and is more interested in sitting in cars with unregistered weapons and stealing $20 from fans.
                        Draft Gabbert at #3!

Comment

• unpaid_bills
                          • Nov 2004

Spiller is a dynamic player. He has speed and makes plays. With the shelf life or RBs i like the pick. Freddy is a good versatile back but look at the options they will have now. Spiller can also catch the ball and return kick/punts. Lynch may or may not be hear but if he is just makes the run game that much deeper and stronger.

The reason MANY of our 1st rd picks have not panned out we drafted for NEED and not the best playmaker. The draft is crapshoop anyway. Why not take someone who runs a 4.3 can score TDs and is very versatile. Its not like we have a very explosive offense. I like Freddy but he was UNDRAFTED and pretty much came out of nowhere. Marshawn has shown some signs but is he the back that can carry this team? I think it woud have been a reach to take some of OL, QBs on the board at 9. Lets see what else the Bills do in the Draft they got a playmaker with speed who was a #1 ranked player at RB a skill position
                          Nobody circles the wagons like the Buffalo Bills .... Bills Mafia for life

Comment

• Commissioner
                            • Dec 2004

Originally posted by unpaid_bills
                            Spiller is a dynamic player. He has speed and makes plays. With the shelf life or RBs i like the pick. Freddy is a good versatile back but look at the options they will have now. Spiller can also catch the ball and return kick/punts. Lynch may or may not be hear but if he is just makes the run game that much deeper and stronger.

The reason MANY of our 1st rd picks have not panned out we drafted for NEED and not the best playmaker.
                            This is exactly right... reaching because of a need is what lead Jauron to select Aaron Maybin.

It's also what lead the Bills to take James Hardy in the 2nd round. All we heard is the Bills needed a big WR opposite Lee Evans so they took the tallest one in Hardy.....
                            Draft Gabbert at #3!

Comment

• Romes
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Commissioner
                              RB was a hole considering we have a degenerate RB who doesn't appear interested in playing in Buffalo and is more interested in sitting in cars with unregistered weapons and stealing $20 from fans.
                              Not as big as LT, DT or QB are holes.

Its a fine pick because it appears value was not there at 9 for those positions. And repeating again, I 100% think this pick makes us better. Just saying, I'm still worried we can't keep the QB upright, seal the edge for Spiller/Jackson, stop the run, or complete passes downfield with consistency.

That said, there are still 6 more rounds to go. If we can fill at least 1 of those holes in later rounds with someone that can start day 1 (particularly at LT) I'll be thrilled with this draft.
                              RALPH is drove me nut.

Comment

Working...
                              X