PDA

View Full Version : Spiller pick risky, but could pay off for Bills

The Spaz
04-22-2010, 10:56 PM
ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. -- Three years ago, the Miami Dolphins drafted Ted Ginn ninth overall.

Skeptics viewed Ginn as a luxury, while the Dolphins had visions of unleashing the speedster as a versatile threat in the passing game and special teams.

Last week, the Dolphins dumped Ginn for a fifth-round draft choice.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/13001/spiller-pick-risky-but-could-pay-off-for-bills

BillsWin
04-22-2010, 11:01 PM
Even mentioning Ginn and Spiller in the same sentence when comparing two players is ignorant.

This pick isn't like the Ginn pick. Ginn came completely out of left field, while Spiller was widely considered a top 5-10 player overall in the draft.

We got a top 5 player (IMO) at nine. I have NO problem with that.

Taking Ginn at nine was laughable.

Taking Spiller at nine adds a DANGEROUS weapon.

T.O was labeled as a weapon, but this kid is actually the real deal.

Just watch. This kid is going to be good.

TonyIncredible
04-22-2010, 11:07 PM
Even mentioning Ginn and Spiller in the same sentence when comparing two players is ignorant.

This pick isn't like the Ginn pick. Ginn came completely out of left field, while Spiller was widely considered a top 5-10 player overall in the draft.

I endorse everything this man just stated. To compare the two is completely and utterly moronic! But eh thats espn analysts for ya.

Bling
04-22-2010, 11:17 PM
I didn't think like that, but it makes a ton of sense. Spiller will be a better Ted Ginn. Not that that means much.

Lexwhat
04-22-2010, 11:18 PM

Beat me to it.

Romes
04-22-2010, 11:25 PM
This reminds me more of the McGahee pick when we had Henry and a lot of other needs. Granted its also very different because Spiller isn't coming off major knee surgery and by all accounts has a much better character.

Philagape
04-22-2010, 11:28 PM
This reminds me more of the McGahee pick when we had Henry and a lot of other needs. Granted its also very different because Spiller isn't coming off major knee surgery and by all accounts has a much better character.

Which makes the point moot.

Besides, considering what happened to Henry, RB was a need too.

The Spaz
04-22-2010, 11:29 PM
Ginn comparison was dumb. Most everyone knew Spiller was top ten talent.

Michael82
04-22-2010, 11:48 PM

Great post! :bf1:

Philagape
04-23-2010, 12:21 AM
CJ Spiller is, right now, the best player on the Buffalo Bills.

Romes
04-23-2010, 01:08 AM
Which makes the point moot.

Besides, considering what happened to Henry, RB was a need too.

Not really, we still have a ton of other needs at critical positions. I don't mind the pick. I think it definitely makes us better but its more of piling on a strength rather than fixing a hole.

Commissioner
04-23-2010, 01:11 AM
Not really, we still have a ton of other needs at critical positions. I don't mind the pick. I think it definitely makes us better but its more of piling on a strength rather than fixing a hole.

RB was a hole considering we have a degenerate RB who doesn't appear interested in playing in Buffalo and is more interested in sitting in cars with unregistered weapons and stealing $20 from fans.

unpaid_bills
04-23-2010, 01:16 AM
Spiller is a dynamic player. He has speed and makes plays. With the shelf life or RBs i like the pick. Freddy is a good versatile back but look at the options they will have now. Spiller can also catch the ball and return kick/punts. Lynch may or may not be hear but if he is just makes the run game that much deeper and stronger.

The reason MANY of our 1st rd picks have not panned out we drafted for NEED and not the best playmaker. The draft is crapshoop anyway. Why not take someone who runs a 4.3 can score TDs and is very versatile. Its not like we have a very explosive offense. I like Freddy but he was UNDRAFTED and pretty much came out of nowhere. Marshawn has shown some signs but is he the back that can carry this team? I think it woud have been a reach to take some of OL, QBs on the board at 9. Lets see what else the Bills do in the Draft they got a playmaker with speed who was a #1 ranked player at RB a skill position

Commissioner
04-23-2010, 01:20 AM
Spiller is a dynamic player. He has speed and makes plays. With the shelf life or RBs i like the pick. Freddy is a good versatile back but look at the options they will have now. Spiller can also catch the ball and return kick/punts. Lynch may or may not be hear but if he is just makes the run game that much deeper and stronger.

The reason MANY of our 1st rd picks have not panned out we drafted for NEED and not the best playmaker.

This is exactly right... reaching because of a need is what lead Jauron to select Aaron Maybin.

It's also what lead the Bills to take James Hardy in the 2nd round. All we heard is the Bills needed a big WR opposite Lee Evans so they took the tallest one in Hardy.....

Romes
04-23-2010, 01:21 AM
RB was a hole considering we have a degenerate RB who doesn't appear interested in playing in Buffalo and is more interested in sitting in cars with unregistered weapons and stealing $20 from fans.

Not as big as LT, DT or QB are holes.

Its a fine pick because it appears value was not there at 9 for those positions. And repeating again, I 100% think this pick makes us better. Just saying, I'm still worried we can't keep the QB upright, seal the edge for Spiller/Jackson, stop the run, or complete passes downfield with consistency.

That said, there are still 6 more rounds to go. If we can fill at least 1 of those holes in later rounds with someone that can start day 1 (particularly at LT) I'll be thrilled with this draft.

Commissioner
04-23-2010, 01:27 AM
Not as big as LT, DT or QB are holes.

Its a fine pick because it appears value was not there at 9 for those positions. And repeating again, I 100% think this pick makes us better. Just saying, I'm still worried we can't keep the QB upright, seal the edge for Spiller/Jackson, stop the run, or complete passes downfield with consistency.

That said, there are still 6 more rounds to go. If we can fill at least 1 of those holes in later rounds with someone that can start day 1 (particularly at LT) I'll be thrilled with this draft.

I'll bet anything the Bills grab a LT or DT tomorrow.... no worries. It's not like the Bills are gonna be able to fill every hole on their team in 1 draft. It's gonna be at least 2 years before we are playoff caliber.

jamze132
04-23-2010, 02:27 AM
This is exactly right... reaching because of a need is what lead Jauron to select Aaron Maybin.

It's also what lead the Bills to take James Hardy in the 2nd round. All we heard is the Bills needed a big WR opposite Lee Evans so they took the tallest one in Hardy.....
Maybin wasn't proven. He had one decent year.

Spiller has been a beast in the ACC for 4 years.