PDA

View Full Version : The best thing about this pick is that it shows we finally have a real front office.

BillsWin
04-22-2010, 11:24 PM
Listen to me before you bash.

We didn't pick a need. But what exactly do we need? QB, LT, NT, WR. Wouldn't you agree?

Ok.

Who were the players at those positions that a lot of Bills fans wanted?

Jimmy Clausen, Bryan Bulaga, Dan Williams, Dez Bryant.

What happened to those players?

Clausen is still on the board as we head to round two. Meaning over half the league said no to the Notre Dame signal caller.

Bryan Bulaga dropped past Anthony Davis and fell all the way to 23.

Dan Williams didn't get picked until 26.

Dez Bryant fell to 24.

Each player that was supposedly the best available at a position of need was passed over by a lot of teams.

Maybe, just maybe, the Bills are better at scouting than the fans. At least, for the first time in a decade they are.

Maybe there wasn't enough value for those players at a position of need at nine.

So we decided to go BPA.

At that time, and on our board, the BPA was Spiller.

Like Nix said, "There's only one Spiller."

And now we've got him.

Good pick. I know there are still offensive line woes, but you can't really argue with the Bills taking a top five talent with the ninth overall pick.

Not to mention, Spiller's bust risk is much lower than that of a QB, and he is less likely to be an off field trouble than some of the other players as well.

The guy is a stand up kid. I've heard nothing but praises.

Welcome to Buffalo Spiller!

AND WELCOME TO BUFFALO COMPETENT FRONT OFFICE!!!!!!!!!!!!

This could all change tomorrow of course if we flop on our next few picks. ;)

justasportsfan
04-22-2010, 11:26 PM
They want to score and not simply hope that our offense can control the clock.

methos4ever
04-22-2010, 11:29 PM
It takes us from a "please Marshawn/Fred get this first down" to "did you see that?"

Philagape
04-22-2010, 11:34 PM
Any other pick would have been a Whitner.

BillsWin
04-22-2010, 11:40 PM
Any other pick would have been a Whitner.

That's my point. Nix was cool, calm and collected and didn't reach to fill a need or to try and outsmart anyone.

Great pick. The more I think about it, the more I want tomorrow to get here.

Commissioner
04-22-2010, 11:41 PM
Maybe, just maybe, the Bills are better at scouting than the fans.

I resent that... I thought CJ Spiller was the logical pick at #9. The only players I would of drafted before him were already taken.

I was surprised by how far Bulaga fell... I would have taken him or Spiller at #9.

BillsWin
04-22-2010, 11:44 PM
I resent that... I thought CJ Spiller was the logical pick at #9. The only players I would of drafted before him were already taken.

I was surprised by how far Bulaga fell... I would have taken him or Spiller at #9.

I was talking more towards fans who may have been upset we didn't go need.

Nobody doubts your scouting prowess Commish. :up:

Aero II
04-22-2010, 11:45 PM
Would a real front office let the world know what it's draft plans were? Granted, I am excited about Spiller, but when Denver and the rest of the world knew that our front office was sold on Tebow, they swooped in and took him away. All these reports today from Lombardi's guarantee that we would have our new QB before the end of the first round, reports that we will trade back in to the end of the first round to get Tim. If the front office was that sold on him, and I believe they were, why the hell would you let that leak out at all. I'm just pissed that all these rumors seeme to be true and that the Bills Front Office could not keep their plans from getting leaked EVERYWHERE. Tim would have beena great addition in the long run, unfortunatley our front office could not contain their excitement either.

raphael120
04-22-2010, 11:46 PM
With the dropping of certain players, it's all in perspective. Many of those teams may have not had a strong a need as others in the OL or DL dept, so saying that a player fell 10 spots or whatever isn't relevant unless those teams that passed on them had pressing needs at those positions. That being said...Colt McCoy tomorrow would be awesome and make me feel a bit better about the Spiller pick.

Bling
04-22-2010, 11:47 PM
I said it pre-draft and I will say it again. Spiller will be a bust. At least you guys didn't draft Clausen. I warned you guys about that, and some of you actually wanted him at 9.

I was right about Hardy, McCargo, Whitner, Lynch, Losman- you guys didn't want to listen. Not crazy about Maybin. I was right about Ginn, Cam Cameron. Spiller is going to be no better than Lynch.

raphael120
04-22-2010, 11:48 PM
Would a real front office let the world know what it's draft plans were? Granted, I am excited about Spiller, but when Denver and the rest of the world knew that our front office was sold on Tebow, they swooped in and took him away. All these reports today from Lombardi's guarantee that we would have our new QB before the end of the first round, reports that we will trade back in to the end of the first round to get Tim. If the front office was that sold on him, and I believe they were, why the hell would you let that leak out at all. I'm just pissed that all these rumors seeme to be true and that the Bills Front Office could not keep their plans from getting leaked EVERYWHERE. Tim would have beena great addition in the long run, unfortunatley our front office could not contain their excitement either.

McDaniels let it know how much he loved Tebow and they got him, so I dont think it's stupid. I dont know if there is any truth to the rumors that the Bills were trying hard to get Tebow. But if they were, I think the Bills were dumb not to try even harder than the Broncos to get their "franchise" QB.

PECKERWOOD

How do you know that they weren't trying to smoke out other teams into baiting Tebow so another player may slip to the second round?

TerrellOwensSharpie8
I said it pre-draft and I will say it again. Spiller will be a bust. At least you guys didn't draft Clausen. I warned you guys about that, and some of you actually wanted him at 9.

I was right about Hardy, McCargo, Whitner, Lynch, Losman- you guys didn't want to listen. Not crazy about Maybin. I was right about Ginn, Cam Cameron. Spiller is going to be no better than Lynch.

no thanks, no. just stop

NO FAIL

TerrellOwensSharpie8
04-22-2010, 11:49 PM
McDaniels let it know how much he loved Tebow and they got him, so I dont think it's stupid. I dont know if there is any truth to the rumors that the Bills were trying hard to get Tebow. But if they were, I think the Bills were dumb not to try even harder than the Broncos to get their "franchise" QB.

you wanna sacrifice the next 3 rounds in the process?

Philagape
04-22-2010, 11:50 PM

The Broncos traded a second, third AND fourth to move up for Tebow. Should the Bills have topped that?

PECKERWOOD
04-22-2010, 11:52 PM
The Broncos traded a second, third AND fourth to move up for Tebow. Should the Bills have topped that?

People would be crying right now if we offered up what Denver did.

Aero II
04-22-2010, 11:54 PM
How do you know that they weren't trying to smoke out other teams into baiting Tebow so another player may slip to the second round?
Like who, Clausen? I hope not. I'm just really dissappointed that things turned out whe way they did at the end of round 1. I would have prefered that we could have drafted Tebow at 41, but with all the talk today, it just seems like all these reports today burned us.

Bling
04-22-2010, 11:54 PM

Goes to show Denver has a worse FO than the Bills.

PECKERWOOD
04-22-2010, 11:56 PM
Like who, Clausen? I hope not. I'm just really dissappointed that things turned out whe way they did at the end of round 1. I would have prefered that we could have drafted Tebow at 41, but with all the talk today, it just seems like all these reports today burned us.

I do think that Tebow would be a good fit in Chan's offense.

Aero II
04-22-2010, 11:57 PM
I did too.

billz83
04-23-2010, 03:00 AM
i was hoping we got a Olinemen but the ones i wanted got picked before our pick so i am straight with the spiller pick because from ALL REPORTS he is an IMPACT player and he will give us offensive production namely TOUCHDOWNS! this is always a good thing..now i hope nix has a plan to fix this OLINE so he CAN run.

Historian
04-23-2010, 07:17 AM
6 pm tonight.

I'd watch!

Jan Reimers
04-23-2010, 07:23 AM
Spiller may turn out to be a great player. I hope he does.

But ignoring our O and D lines scares the crap out of me. When the Hell are we ever going to make big men a priority?

Philagape
04-23-2010, 07:27 AM

But ignoring our O and D lines scares the crap out of me. When the Hell are we ever going to make big men a priority?

There.

Are.

More.

Rounds.

Dr. Lecter
04-23-2010, 07:40 AM

They reached for a DL last year (now a LB).

Reaching is a killer.

Historian
04-23-2010, 07:50 AM
I'm as critical as they come Jan, believe me. This team has earned no slack over the last decade, but I have a feeling Nix knows what he's doing here.

I think Spiller is going to fill your bar with patrons every Sunday Jan....you watch.

SABURZFAN
04-23-2010, 07:53 AM
Goes to show Denver has a worse FO than the Bills.

or that they had a bigger mancrush on Tebow than Buffalo did.

madness
04-23-2010, 08:36 AM
Hasn't anybody learned from previous drafts what reaching does to this team? WTF.

EDS
04-23-2010, 08:45 AM
Listen to me before you bash.

We didn't pick a need. But what exactly do we need? QB, LT, NT, WR. Wouldn't you agree?

Ok.

Who were the players at those positions that a lot of Bills fans wanted?

Jimmy Clausen, Bryan Bulaga, Dan Williams, Dez Bryant.

What happened to those players?

Clausen is still on the board as we head to round two. Meaning over half the league said no to the Notre Dame signal caller.

Bryan Bulaga dropped past Anthony Davis and fell all the way to 23.

Dan Williams didn't get picked until 26.

Dez Bryant fell to 24.

Each player that was supposedly the best available at a position of need was passed over by a lot of teams.

Maybe, just maybe, the Bills are better at scouting than the fans. At least, for the first time in a decade they are.

Maybe there wasn't enough value for those players at a position of need at nine.

So we decided to go BPA.

At that time, and on our board, the BPA was Spiller.

Like Nix said, "There's only one Spiller."

And now we've got him.

Good pick. I know there are still offensive line woes, but you can't really argue with the Bills taking a top five talent with the ninth overall pick.

Not to mention, Spiller's bust risk is much lower than that of a QB, and he is less likely to be an off field trouble than some of the other players as well.

The guy is a stand up kid. I've heard nothing but praises.

Welcome to Buffalo Spiller!

AND WELCOME TO BUFFALO COMPETENT FRONT OFFICE!!!!!!!!!!!!

This could all change tomorrow of course if we flop on our next few picks. ;)

I am not sure what your point is here. There was only one Reggie Bush too. Taking a running back in the top 10 is a risky pick no matter how you look at it. Only a very few of the running backs taken in the top 10 in the last 20 years have lived up to their draft position.

That being said, Spiller is an exciting player, stand-up dude (it appears) and can only help. But this team is not going to win without talent in the trenches.

EDS
04-23-2010, 08:47 AM
Hasn't anybody learned from previous drafts what reaching does to this team? WTF.

Last three first round running backs the Bills have taken have been disappointments (Smith, McGahee and now Lynch). Is there something to learn from that?

TheGhostofJimKelly
04-23-2010, 08:49 AM
I don't think it is necessarily fair to point at a player and say he wasn't worthy of a certain pick and so he must not be good, so he drops. Dan Williams is a good football player, yet he fell to the Cardinals. Why? Maybe because it is the defense that he plays in and there just wasn't that many teams that could use him as that 3-4 NT. Brian Bulaga would fit the same situation, he was graded out by one team better than another.

EDS
04-23-2010, 08:51 AM
I don't think it is necessarily fair to point at a player and say he wasn't worthy of a certain pick and so he must not be good, so he drops. Dan Williams is a good football player, yet he fell to the Cardinals. Why? Maybe because it is the defense that he plays in and there just wasn't that many teams that could use him as that 3-4 NT. Brian Bulaga would fit the same situation, he was graded out by one team better than another.

I agree. If the Bills picked Williams or Bulaga no one would be refering to either as a reach either.

madness
04-23-2010, 08:55 AM
Last three first round running backs the Bills have taken have been disappointments (Smith, McGahee and now Lynch). Is there something to learn from that?

Yes, character is a very important trait in a football and Spiller reeks of it.

The last buffalo fan
04-23-2010, 10:16 AM
I'm very happy but not pleased. I really want to get two very good players for the OL and at least one for the DL, a LB/DE would not be a bad thing to have also. Please need impact players, not projects.

I'm feeling confident with our current FO to get those players and trust them, I wasn't on this mood last year, so I guess it is a good thing to have these people making the call for us! :gobills:

Ginger Vitis
04-23-2010, 11:28 AM

You were also dead wrong about Lorenzo Booker