The best thing about this pick is that it shows we finally have a real front office.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BillsWin
    man amongst boys
    • Oct 2008

The best thing about this pick is that it shows we finally have a real front office.

Listen to me before you bash.

We didn't pick a need. But what exactly do we need? QB, LT, NT, WR. Wouldn't you agree?

Ok.

Who were the players at those positions that a lot of Bills fans wanted?

Jimmy Clausen, Bryan Bulaga, Dan Williams, Dez Bryant.

What happened to those players?

Clausen is still on the board as we head to round two. Meaning over half the league said no to the Notre Dame signal caller.

Bryan Bulaga dropped past Anthony Davis and fell all the way to 23.

Dan Williams didn't get picked until 26.

Dez Bryant fell to 24.

Each player that was supposedly the best available at a position of need was passed over by a lot of teams.

Maybe, just maybe, the Bills are better at scouting than the fans. At least, for the first time in a decade they are.

Maybe there wasn't enough value for those players at a position of need at nine.

So we decided to go BPA.

At that time, and on our board, the BPA was Spiller.

Like Nix said, "There's only one Spiller."

And now we've got him.

Good pick. I know there are still offensive line woes, but you can't really argue with the Bills taking a top five talent with the ninth overall pick.

Not to mention, Spiller's bust risk is much lower than that of a QB, and he is less likely to be an off field trouble than some of the other players as well.

The guy is a stand up kid. I've heard nothing but praises.

Welcome to Buffalo Spiller!

AND WELCOME TO BUFFALO COMPETENT FRONT OFFICE!!!!!!!!!!!!

This could all change tomorrow of course if we flop on our next few picks.
    I am The Batman.
  • justasportsfan
    • Jul 2002

Re: The best thing about this pick is that it shows we finally have a real front office.

They want to score and not simply hope that our offense can control the clock.
    sacrifice1
    https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• methos4ever
      • Apr 2004

Re: The best thing about this pick is that it shows we finally have a real front office.

It takes us from a "please Marshawn/Fred get this first down" to "did you see that?"

Comment

• Philagape
        WIN NOW
        • Jul 2002

Any other pick would have been a Whitner.
        "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
        2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

• BillsWin
          man amongst boys
          • Oct 2008

Originally posted by Philagape
          Any other pick would have been a Whitner.
          That's my point. Nix was cool, calm and collected and didn't reach to fill a need or to try and outsmart anyone.

Great pick. The more I think about it, the more I want tomorrow to get here.
          I am The Batman.

Comment

• Commissioner
            • Dec 2004

Originally posted by BillsWin

Maybe, just maybe, the Bills are better at scouting than the fans.
            I resent that... I thought CJ Spiller was the logical pick at #9. The only players I would of drafted before him were already taken.

I was surprised by how far Bulaga fell... I would have taken him or Spiller at #9.
            Draft Gabbert at #3!

Comment

• BillsWin
              man amongst boys
              • Oct 2008

Originally posted by Commissioner
              I resent that... I thought CJ Spiller was the logical pick at #9. The only players I would of drafted before him were already taken.

I was surprised by how far Bulaga fell... I would have taken him or Spiller at #9.
              I was talking more towards fans who may have been upset we didn't go need.

Nobody doubts your scouting prowess Commish.
              I am The Batman.

Comment

• Aero II
                RWS Grounds Keeper. Why won't my grass grow?
                • Jul 2002

Would a real front office let the world know what it's draft plans were? Granted, I am excited about Spiller, but when Denver and the rest of the world knew that our front office was sold on Tebow, they swooped in and took him away. All these reports today from Lombardi's guarantee that we would have our new QB before the end of the first round, reports that we will trade back in to the end of the first round to get Tim. If the front office was that sold on him, and I believe they were, why the hell would you let that leak out at all. I'm just pissed that all these rumors seeme to be true and that the Bills Front Office could not keep their plans from getting leaked EVERYWHERE. Tim would have beena great addition in the long run, unfortunatley our front office could not contain their excitement either.

Comment

• raphael120
                  Jason Peters rigorous at home training regiment
                  • Oct 2005

With the dropping of certain players, it's all in perspective. Many of those teams may have not had a strong a need as others in the OL or DL dept, so saying that a player fell 10 spots or whatever isn't relevant unless those teams that passed on them had pressing needs at those positions. That being said...Colt McCoy tomorrow would be awesome and make me feel a bit better about the Spiller pick.

Comment

• Bling
                    • Jul 2004

I said it pre-draft and I will say it again. Spiller will be a bust. At least you guys didn't draft Clausen. I warned you guys about that, and some of you actually wanted him at 9.

I was right about Hardy, McCargo, Whitner, Lynch, Losman- you guys didn't want to listen. Not crazy about Maybin. I was right about Ginn, Cam Cameron. Spiller is going to be no better than Lynch.

Comment

• raphael120
                      Jason Peters rigorous at home training regiment
                      • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Aero II
                      Would a real front office let the world know what it's draft plans were? Granted, I am excited about Spiller, but when Denver and the rest of the world knew that our front office was sold on Tebow, they swooped in and took him away. All these reports today from Lombardi's guarantee that we would have our new QB before the end of the first round, reports that we will trade back in to the end of the first round to get Tim. If the front office was that sold on him, and I believe they were, why the hell would you let that leak out at all. I'm just pissed that all these rumors seeme to be true and that the Bills Front Office could not keep their plans from getting leaked EVERYWHERE. Tim would have beena great addition in the long run, unfortunatley our front office could not contain their excitement either.
                      McDaniels let it know how much he loved Tebow and they got him, so I dont think it's stupid. I dont know if there is any truth to the rumors that the Bills were trying hard to get Tebow. But if they were, I think the Bills were dumb not to try even harder than the Broncos to get their "franchise" QB.

Comment

• PECKERWOOD
                        Defies all logic
                        • Oct 2006

Originally posted by Aero II
                        How do you know that they weren't trying to smoke out other teams into baiting Tebow so another player may slip to the second round?

Comment

• TerrellOwensSharpie8
                          • Jan 2010

Originally posted by DA-2
                          I said it pre-draft and I will say it again. Spiller will be a bust. At least you guys didn't draft Clausen. I warned you guys about that, and some of you actually wanted him at 9.

I was right about Hardy, McCargo, Whitner, Lynch, Losman- you guys didn't want to listen. Not crazy about Maybin. I was right about Ginn, Cam Cameron. Spiller is going to be no better than Lynch.

no thanks, no. just stop

NO FAIL

Comment

• TerrellOwensSharpie8
                            • Jan 2010

Originally posted by raphael120
                            McDaniels let it know how much he loved Tebow and they got him, so I dont think it's stupid. I dont know if there is any truth to the rumors that the Bills were trying hard to get Tebow. But if they were, I think the Bills were dumb not to try even harder than the Broncos to get their "franchise" QB.

you wanna sacrifice the next 3 rounds in the process?

Comment

• Philagape
                              WIN NOW
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by raphael120
                              The Broncos traded a second, third AND fourth to move up for Tebow. Should the Bills have topped that?
                              "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
                              2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

Working...
                              X