PDA

View Full Version : I'm disappointed: Sign in if you don't like the pick

northernbillfan
04-22-2010, 11:59 PM
I don't like the Spiller pick one bit. The Bills have far more holes to fill than wasting a first round pick on an RB. Especially after they did not trade up to get someone else in the first round.

This is a typical move the Bills made and I for one am disappointed.

JD
04-23-2010, 12:01 AM
I'm on the fence. So I guess I'm half with you. He's too good to pass up on but there were definitely bigger holes to fill.

PECKERWOOD
04-23-2010, 12:02 AM
My initial reaction was anger, but now that I see the guy who I wanted is now in the 2nd round, what can I say? I have to reconsider my views.

Prov401
04-23-2010, 12:02 AM
This is the deepest draft in years. People need to seriously stop whining. We get the clear cut, absolute best RB in the draft. Yea sure, we have holes on the lines. However, we have 2 more days of drafting, and a running back to trade. I trust in what Nix is doing.

wmoz11
04-23-2010, 12:03 AM
We have plenty of picks left to "fill holes." Filling a hole at that point would have been a reach.

I liked the pick at the time and I like it even more now that I've seen where certain players went.

And if we just got better on offense, doesn't that fill a hole?

I feel dirty saying "fill a hole" so much.

PECKERWOOD
04-23-2010, 12:04 AM
This is the deepest draft in years. People need to seriously stop whining. We get the clear cut, absolute best RB in the draft. Yea sure, we have holes on the lines. However, we have 2 more days of drafting, and a running back to trade. I trust in what Nix is doing.

Is he though? If Best didn't have an extensive injury history, would it still be so lopsided?

Prov401
04-23-2010, 12:05 AM
Is he though? If Best didn't have an extensive injury history, would it still be so lopsided?

Yes he is. And yes it would still be lopsided. Did anybody not watch videos on this kid? Or listen to every and any analyst on ESPN and NFLNET praise this pick?

PECKERWOOD
04-23-2010, 12:07 AM
Yes he is. And yes it would still be lopsided. Did anybody not watch videos on this kid? Or listen to every and any analyst on ESPN and NFLNET praise this pick?
I've watched Best play more than I've watched Spiller play, that's the truth. I know that Best is a home run threat every time he touches the ball, he is a solid receiver too.

Bling
04-23-2010, 12:11 AM
My God. You guys can listen to analyst all day. I watched CJ Spiller plenty since he turned down his childhood favorite for Clemson. Guy would absolutely kill my Seminoles. STILL, I will contend that he's a poor man's Reggie Bush. He's not going to carry the Bills offense. I don't know what it is about the Bills, but they make these moronic picks all the time, and you guys always try to justify it. Roscoe Parrish was going to be an amazing deep threat. Yeah ok. One after the other busts for the Bills.

PECKERWOOD
04-23-2010, 12:13 AM
My God. You guys can listen to analyst all day. I watched CJ Spiller plenty since he turned down his childhood favorite for Clemson. Guy would absolutely kill my Seminoles. STILL, I will contend that he's a poor man's Reggie Bush. He's not going to carry the Bills offense. I don't know what it is about the Bills, but they make these moronic picks all the time, and you guys always try to justify it. Roscoe Parrish was going to be an amazing deep threat. Yeah ok. One after the other busts for the Bills.

I actually think Miami would have taken Spiller if he dropped down to you.

Prov401
04-23-2010, 12:13 AM
I've watched Best play more than I've watched Spiller play, that's the truth. I know that Best is a home run threat every time he touches the ball, he is a solid receiver too.

Reggie Bush was a home run threat every time he touched the ball in college too. He hasn't exactly lived up to the hype.

PECKERWOOD
04-23-2010, 12:14 AM
Reggie Bush was a home run threat every time he touched the ball in college too. He hasn't exactly lived up to the hype.

Yeah, that's absolutely true.

DrGraves
04-23-2010, 12:16 AM
The guys half the people wanted at 9 will be there at 42... life goes on.

Bling
04-23-2010, 12:16 AM
I actually think Miami would have taken Spiller if he dropped down to you.

I would hope not. There's more pressing needs. He'd have been able to replace Ronnie Brown, but I'd much rather wait and draft McCluster in the 3rd. His talent was not top 10 to me, and all this "he's too talented to pass up" is garbage. He should've been drafted 20th to some playoff team that needed a playmaker. Not to rebuild a team.

Bling
04-23-2010, 12:17 AM

That's exactly what scares me if I'm a Bills fan about Spiller. Look at his numbers between the tackles. Not that impressive. Clemson does mighty fine with recruiting, so don't try to attribute that to the OL.

PECKERWOOD
04-23-2010, 12:19 AM
I would hope not. There's more pressing needs. He'd have been able to replace Ronnie Brown, but I'd much rather wait and draft McCluster in the 3rd. His talent was not top 10 to me, and all this "he's too talented to pass up" is garbage. He should've been drafted 20th to some playoff team that needed a playmaker. Not to rebuild a team.

Not before Golden Tate, but I do like McCluster. I think both will go in the 2nd round, these two were amongst my favorite players to watch last year. McCluster carried Ole Miss and Tate did the same, both are very similar backs.

Bling
04-23-2010, 12:21 AM
Not before Golden Tate, but I do like McCluster. I think both will go in the 2nd round, these two were amongst my favorite players to watch last year. McCluster carried Ole Miss and Tate did the same, both are very similar backs.

Completely agree. Tate and McCluster will be good assets to some team.

BertSquirtgum
04-23-2010, 12:48 AM
you guys are crazy. this is a great pick.

Commissioner
04-23-2010, 01:00 AM
Spiller is probably the best, most dynamic football player on the team.... so he made us better.

Reaching at #9 may have filled a need, but we got more bang for the buck with Spiller.

SeatownBillsFan21
04-23-2010, 01:10 AM
Thank you and yes Buddy is going to work some magic cant wait till day 2...And i love the Spiller pick CHAMPIONSHIP.

Billz_fan
04-23-2010, 01:11 AM
Running backs are a dime a dozen in this league, he may turn out to be a home run hitter but even if he does it doesn't carry this team to the promised land with all the other holes it has. Fred Jackson is more than capable and a RB with value could have been picked up in later rounds to back him up. Dumb pick at 9.

Last year we take Maybin at 11 and the guy doesn't play. We drafted Lynch in the first round and we are gonna have to give him away now. JP in the first round. Whitner in the first round. This team continues to amaze me with picks that make no sense. I have 30+ years invested in this team so I no longer get angry like I used to. I laugh instead :laughter:

billz83
04-23-2010, 03:41 AM
i was a lil disappointed at first but straight up we got the best guy available and he really is an impact player sumthing the bills have needed for years! a game changer that other teams HAVE to account for. im hopin nix got suttin up his sleeve..we still need the OLINE and DLINE help along with the INFAMOUS QB position..ill critize when everything is said and done..

Historian
04-23-2010, 03:59 AM
Think of it in these terms:

The Bills offense was so putrid at times over the last three years, that it went 1-2-3-punt most of the time.

In fact, at times they didn't even look like a professional team.

This is not a guy with a bum knee.
This is not a guy who was a thug.
This is a thorobred. This could be the next Thurman Thomas.

When you look at it in that context, the pick makes sense.

Besides, I like the philosophy: We need to run the football.

Dr. Lecter
04-23-2010, 05:55 AM

I don't think many liked the Parrish pick.

NorthCarBills
04-23-2010, 06:05 AM
Sadly, my reaction was one of relief. Meaning I was content that we didnt take a guy like the Chargers or Jags did, wondering who the hell this person was and, for the Chargers, why they traded up to get him.

I'm looking forward to round two, hoping for the likes of Cam Thomas or Colt McCoy.

zone
04-23-2010, 06:23 AM
I don't know what it is about the Bills, but they make these moronic picks all the time, and you guys always try to justify it. Roscoe Parrish was going to be an amazing deep threat. Yeah ok. One after the other busts for the Bills.

Ted Ginn Jr.

TacklingDummy
04-23-2010, 06:30 AM
I don't like the Spiller pick one bit. The Bills have far more holes to fill than wasting a first round pick on an RB. Especially after they did not trade up to get someone else in the first round.

All though I hate picking Running Backs early I can see why the Bills picked Spiller. Their biggest hole was with playmakers. Hopefully Spiller fills that hole.

Who where they suppose to draft? No matter who they draft, some people would complain.

Forward_Lateral
04-23-2010, 06:34 AM
I wouldn't call this a "typical" Bills pick. Typical would've been taking their biggest need, and not the BPA.

TD is right, Buffalo needs playmakers. They got one. Hard to argue with that. You can never have too many RBs in the NFL.

BuffaloBlakely14
04-23-2010, 06:39 AM
This guy is different than all those guys in the past. This kid has zero questions, except maybe his inbetween the tackle running needs some work. Every guy you guys are talking about, from McGahee to Parrish, from Ginn to Bush had questions. This guy is more in the mold of a Chris Johnson than Reggie Bush.

Spiller has zero questions about his game, his character, his dedication, and his off the field behavior. No analyst has said anything other than this guy can change any game in a second, in any one play. There is no other more exciting player, or any other player that could have changed our offense like he does. He will also provide a class face for this organization.

Lets face it, these are the players you get in Round 1, we never have. We can still get any of the QB's that we all thought we could get anyhow, how many of you thought that would be true this morning. We can still get 2 of the OT's that can start day one in Saffold and Charles Brown. We can still get a Rush LB in Sergo Kindle. We can still grab Cam Thomas, Brian Price or Terrence Cody to anchor the dline.

This was the BPA, and no matter what that is what you are supposed to do in Round 1. Rounds 2-6 are where we need to really pay attention. These are where teams are built. We can build the lines the rest of the draft. Wait until Sunday to completely rip this front office, and even then you will be jumping the gun.

Historian
04-23-2010, 06:43 AM
Ted Ginn Jr.

Yatil Green
Guy Benjaman
Sammie Smith
John Avery
Eric Kumerow
OJ McDuffie

:roflmao:

Oops! I forgot...Bling wasn't even alive for these picks!

ptd86
04-23-2010, 07:55 AM
This is how you build teams, I am not sure you can say this is the old way of the bills because they typical reach for needs. They took the best player available and are trying to build this team around special players which they didn't have and which Spiller is

Canadian'eh!
04-23-2010, 08:02 AM
I don't know much about Spiller.... but a RB? really?

The Bills are supposed to be making a transition to the 3-4. They don't have ANY of the personnel needed to do it. The OL stinks, especially at OT. They have 1 WR. No QB, They need a NT and a lot of LB's.

RB was about the only position on the Offense they are set.
Spiller isn't the next Adrian Peterson.

Even if he's good, the team did not greatly improve.

More stupiditiy from the team that is trying to outstupid Oakland (who made a very good pick yesterday)

THATHURMANATOR
04-23-2010, 08:04 AM
This guy is in the Chris Johnson, AP style of dominant game breaking RB. We haven't had that since OJ. Thurman ruled but he was not a homerun threat.

Bulldog
04-23-2010, 08:08 AM

Tedd Ginn Jr. Need I say more. I'm still waiting for one of you guys who keeps comparing him to Reggie Bush to elaborate on that for me. Besdies the fact that he's black and plays RB, what else do they have in common? I can tell you right now that Spiller is substantially faster than Bush, and in the NFL, speed is the name of the game.

THATHURMANATOR
04-23-2010, 08:11 AM
I don't know much about Spiller.... but a RB? really?

The Bills are supposed to be making a transition to the 3-4. They don't have ANY of the personnel needed to do it. The OL stinks, especially at OT. They have 1 WR. No QB, They need a NT and a lot of LB's.

RB was about the only position on the Offense they are set.
Spiller isn't the next Adrian Peterson.

Even if he's good, the team did not greatly improve.

More stupiditiy from the team that is trying to outstupid Oakland (who made a very good pick yesterday)
I hear you on these points and if these other need positions are not addressed I will be upset but again look how many great players are still out there!

THATHURMANATOR
04-23-2010, 08:12 AM
Tedd Ginn Jr. Need I say more. I'm still waiting for one of you guys who keeps comparing him to Reggie Bush to elaborate on that for me. Besdies the fact that he's black and plays RB, what else do they have in common? I can tell you right now that Spiller is substantially faster than Bush, and in the NFL, speed is the name of the game.
Exactly. The best comparison is to Johnson. Same speed, Same shifty style, still with a little power too.

northernbillfan
04-23-2010, 08:34 AM
This is the deepest draft in years. People need to seriously stop whining. We get the clear cut, absolute best RB in the draft. Yea sure, we have holes on the lines. However, we have 2 more days of drafting, and a running back to trade. I trust in what Nix is doing.I know there's lots of time left in the draft and the talent is deep this year, however, I still don't like the pick. How is Spiller going to run the ball if the team doesn't have a pro-bowl caliber O-line?

Spiller may be the best RB in a long time, it still didn't address the team's needs on D and the O-line.

madness
04-23-2010, 08:34 AM
Comparing him to Tedd Ginn Jr. is hilarious. Ginn Jr. was a reach and had no business being drafted at that spot.

northernbillfan
04-23-2010, 08:36 AM

The Bills offense was so putrid at times over the last three years, that it went 1-2-3-punt most of the time.

Besides, I like the philosophy: We need to run the football.thoroughbred

northernbillfan
04-23-2010, 08:38 AM
I wouldn't call this a "typical" Bills pick. Typical would've been taking their biggest need, and not the BPA.

TD is right, Buffalo needs playmakers. They got one. Hard to argue with that. You can never have too many RBs in the NFL.This is a real team in a real league, not some fantasy football team.

EDS
04-23-2010, 08:40 AM

Besides, I like the philosophy: We need to run the football.

I agree to a certain extent, in that Spiller is very talented and exciting and the Bills need to run the ball more. Plus he appears to be a stand-up guy which is a breath of fresh air. That said, unless he turns into Ladanian Tomlinson, Chris Johnson or Adrian Peterson it is hard to justify taking a running back early in round 1.

It is hard not to look at guys like Reggie Bush and Darren McFadden as recent examples of top 10 running backs not being worth the selection, not to mention less recent examples like Blair Thomas, Lawrence Phillips, Tim Biakabuuka, Garrison Hearst, Ricky Williams, Curtis Enis, Ki-Jana Carter, etc.

TedMock
04-23-2010, 08:46 AM
This is a typical move the Bills made and I for one am disappointed.

I actually completely disagree with this. Typical Bills move would have been to draft a need instead of the best available player. This is how you build a long term winner. Best available in rounds 1-3 and fill future needs thereafter. This draft is deep on the OL and DL, so we are in good shape in that regard as well. I am thrilled with this change of philosophy over the old reach because we need him picks.

Canadian'eh!
04-23-2010, 08:51 AM
I hear you on these points and if these other need positions are not addressed I will be upset but again look how many great players are still out there!

Like I say, even if he's a good player, it doesn't make the Bills a markedly better team.

THere were other players who had just as much value there. I'd have rather taken a chance on Dez Bryant.

Fred and Marshawn were fine at RB.

Morgan or Pierre-PAul would have helped the D. Dan Williams as a NT. Baualgua or whatever his effing name.

Make a splash and trade up to get Okung once he dropped a bit....

BUt no.... They pick a RB, who may be good... but so was Fred last year.

You get 1 first round pick to me a BIG difference and have your best shot at a top talent. THe Bills needed to se that on something they need... because they aren't coming CLOSE to filling all their needs in 1 draft.

Instead they filled a want at a position that about as deep as any in the NFL.

dumb.

RockStar36
04-23-2010, 09:01 AM
Give me a break you bunch of whine bags.

The Bills offense has been disgusting to watch in the past few years.

So why would they want a dynamic game breaker?

I'm there that one OT they passed on at 9 would've made the difference.

Canadian'eh!
04-23-2010, 09:03 AM
Give me a break you bunch of whine bags.

The Bills offense has been disgusting to watch in the past few years.

So why would they want a dynamic game breaker?

I'm there that one OT they passed on at 9 would've made the difference.

Right. If we had taken Baulaga at 9 you'd sing a different tune.

I heard the same bull**** last year when we passed on Oher for Maybin.

That worked out great didn't it.

sorry we can't all subscribe to the "the Bills did this so it was clearly the right move" when it comes to a team the shows very often to be more of a constant **** up.

baalworship
04-23-2010, 09:09 AM
This offense had a need, someone who scared opposing defenses. We just filled a need.

BTW, this guy is not a running back. He is a running back/receiver. Think of a faster Westbrook.

RockStar36
04-23-2010, 09:12 AM
Right. If we had taken Baulaga at 9 you'd sing a different tune.

I heard the same bull**** last year when we passed on Oher for Maybin.

That worked out great didn't it.

sorry we can't all subscribe to the "the Bills did this so it was clearly the right move" when it comes to a team the shows very often to be more of a constant **** up.

Comparing Maybin and Spiller isn't fair.

Maybin isn't and wasn't expected to put points on the board. Spiller will.

Canadian'eh!
04-23-2010, 09:23 AM
Comparing Maybin and Spiller isn't fair.

Maybin isn't and wasn't expected to put points on the board. Spiller will.

After the pick here last year, there was the same... "we need pass rushing more than an OT and this guy will be a beast" and "Maybin was better value, Oher wasn't worth #11" bull**** being spewed on here.

Drink the Koolaid... it's delicious.

TedMock
04-23-2010, 09:40 AM
Maybin was a bad pick for several reasons. I think (I hope) most realize that. He may end up good in the new scheme, but he was a terrible fit for the old scheme AND he wasn't even the best DE/OLB on the board. Orakpo was. Oher was a bit overrated because of a great book & I did not want him either. I thought Orakpo was the no brainer. BPA and fit a need. Perfect scenario. we blew it. I just hope the new scheme finds Maybin some success, but I won't hold my breath.

justasportsfan
04-23-2010, 09:41 AM
That's exactly what scares me if I'm a Bills fan about Spiller. Look at his numbers between the tackles. Not that impressive. Clemson does mighty fine with recruiting, so don't try to attribute that to the OL.

I smell fear !!!

RockStar36
04-23-2010, 09:46 AM
After the pick here last year, there was the same... "we need pass rushing more than an OT and this guy will be a beast" and "Maybin was better value, Oher wasn't worth #11" bull**** being spewed on here.

Drink the Koolaid... it's delicious.

There is no kool aid to drink.

I wanted Spiller long before the draft even took place. I watched him enough in college to know that he can be a dynamic play maker.

Considering how far those OT/DT prospects dropped, I think the Bills were right in not taking them at 9.

I'm sure there are plenty of players remaining to fill those holes.

Canadian'eh!
04-23-2010, 09:48 AM
There is no kool aid to drink.

I wanted Spiller long before the draft even took place. I watched him enough in college to know that he can be a dynamic play maker.

Considering how far those OT/DT prospects dropped, I think the Bills were right in not taking them at 9.

I'm sure there are plenty of players remaining to fill those holes.

Oher dropped to 23 last year.... I guess Maybin was a better pick.

justasportsfan
04-23-2010, 09:50 AM
Oher dropped to 23 last year.... I guess Maybin was a better pick.
NIx didn't draft Maybin.

Canadian'eh!
04-23-2010, 09:57 AM
NIx didn't draft Maybin.

no... we'll have to wait a year or 2 to realize he's more of the same...

Michael82
04-23-2010, 10:20 AM
We have had the most boring offense in the league for the last few years. We needed something that would excite the fans, sell tickets, sell jerseys and CJ Spiller will do all that. Plus he's the kind of home run threat that we have lacked for many years. He gives us someone who can break long runs (Lynch never could), catch the ball out of the backfield, juke players out of their jocks, return kicks/punts for TDs. We finally got ourselves a game changing player, a new face of the franchise! I love this pick and can't wait to see Spiller in a Bills uniform!

psubills62
04-23-2010, 10:27 AM
I posted this before, but I'll just give the following statistic for those who don't like Spiller. I don't expect it to change your minds, but just think about it:

Of his 52 total TD's in college, 21 (that's 40% or 4 of every 10 TD's) were plays of MORE THAN 50 yards.

How long has it been since we've had an electric player like that? And it's not like he's going to be doing it alone, we've still got Fred Jackson to help with the load.

Canadian'eh!
04-23-2010, 10:30 AM
I posted this before, but I'll just give the following statistic for those who don't like Spiller. I don't expect it to change your minds, but just think about it:

Of his 52 total TD's in college, 21 (that's 40% or 4 of every 10 TD's) were plays of MORE THAN 50 yards.

How long has it been since we've had an electric player like that? And it's not like he's going to be doing it alone, we've still got Fred Jackson to help with the load.

Do you really think he can do that against NFL competition?

psubills62
04-23-2010, 10:31 AM
Do you really think he can do that against NFL competition?

Probably not at a 40% rate, but even half that would be incredible.

Bling
04-23-2010, 11:22 AM
Ted Ginn Jr.

Go back to draft day 2007. I hated that pick. I wanted us to get Brady Quinn.

Dr. Lecter
04-23-2010, 11:23 AM
Go back to draft day 2007. I hated that pick. I wanted us to get Brady Quinn.

That would have been so much better.......

Bling
04-23-2010, 11:30 AM
That would have been so much better.......

I was just making the point that I don't make up stuff and tell how I truly felt.