PDA

View Full Version : Spiller's rookie role

YardRat
04-23-2010, 05:41 AM
I haven't read any other threads yet, so sorry if I missed any comments regarding this...

How do you feel Spiller is going to be used this season?

Will Spiller start over Jackson?
Share the load equally, but back up Freddie?
Third down and situational back, plus return kicks?

Forward_Lateral
04-23-2010, 06:13 AM
He'll be used like Chris Johnson was in his rookie season.

FlyingDutchman
04-23-2010, 06:17 AM
its gonna be weird. Id say hed be mainly a 3rd down back for this year while getting some carries as well, but that was fred jacksons role. He'll be the full time starter by next year and will be a beast

zone
04-23-2010, 06:51 AM
How do you feel Spiller is going to be used this season?

He will be used to score touchdowns.

Offense and Special Teams hopefully.

tampabay25690
04-23-2010, 06:56 AM
Has anyone ever seen Chan gailey run an offense?

He will use them both on the same downs.
Its called mis matches for the defense now.
You put Spiller out in the slot and now a Safety has to watch with a LB on him you run draws, you run swing passes there is so much you can do with a back that runs a 4.2 40...........

BoyILuvLoznStupidly
04-23-2010, 06:58 AM
I think they will bulk him up just a tad bit and he will be an every down back for us.

He has to be the starter come opening day. Buddy said a top ten pick has to be able to come in and start right away.

Philagape
04-23-2010, 07:02 AM
Start him. Feature him on screens, swings and gadget plays.

I don't think Fred can carry the load for a whole season. Now he can go back to his ideal role, as a complementary back.

The Spaz
04-23-2010, 07:03 AM
Role? Score touchdowns!:up::beers:

jamze132
04-23-2010, 07:10 AM
What happens to Lynch will determine Spiller's role. As of right now, I see him getting 4-6 touches per game from the backfield and being the primary return man as well as punt catcher. If Lynch is traded, you can expect probably expect a 60/40 split with Jackson getting the majority. If Lynch is gone, I wouldn't expect Spiller to be the main kickoff return guy but I think he will be the main punt catcher regardless.

Philagape
04-23-2010, 07:15 AM
Let it be 60/40 for Spiller, at least. I'd rather have the ball in Spiller's hands than Jackson's.

DraftBoy
04-23-2010, 07:28 AM
Likely he'll be your starting KR and PR man, he'll be the guy to come in and run the wildcat offense, you'll see him in the slot, and he'll take some handoffs and pitches.

Id say 12-15 touches a game is where they want him to be at this rookies season.

ddaryl
04-23-2010, 07:29 AM
SPiller better start and get 20+touches every game.

Nothing else is acceptable. We drafted him @ #9 he MUST be on the field.

DraftBoy
04-23-2010, 07:30 AM
SPiller better start and get 20+touches every game.

Nothing else is acceptable. We drafted him @ #9 he MUST be on the field.

He's not that kind of a back.

The Spaz
04-23-2010, 07:32 AM
I watched two games of him last night. The game against GT and the game against Miami. Pure awesomeness!

NOT THE DUDE...
04-23-2010, 07:32 AM
he will be a starter and jackson will spell him...

The Spaz
04-23-2010, 07:35 AM

Between returns, running and catching you don't think he gets 20 touches?

ddaryl
04-23-2010, 07:36 AM

Are you kidding me... Then what the hell is he ???

What would be the point of drafting any RB @ #9 who can't handle 20 touches a game ????

DraftBoy
04-23-2010, 07:45 AM
Are you kidding me... Then what the hell is he ???

What would be the point of drafting any RB @ #9 who can't handle 20 touches a game ????

Not in his first year, he'll see 20-30 plays but his role is more than just a guy who gets touches. He is also a decoy player similar to how NO usues Bush at times.

In year 2 and 3 you increase his role to eventually him getting 15-7 carries, 2-4 passes, and a few returns.

Rookie year though you start him off slow.

Night Train
04-23-2010, 07:46 AM
They'll move him around a lot. Even see him in the slot at WR.

Wherever he is on the filed, you'll see the opposing D following him around with great concern.

This will open things up for the other skill players to make plays and eliminate the 8-9 in the box D formations which killed the Bills O last year.

He'll be on the field far more than people think. He's not a rotation guy with Jackson, who will still see lots of snaps.

DraftBoy
04-23-2010, 07:47 AM
They'll move him around a lot. Even see him in the slot at WR.

Wherever he is on the filed, you'll see the opposing D following him around with great concern.

This will open things up for the other skill players to make plays and eliminate the 8-9 in the box D formations which killed the Bills O last year.

He'll be on the field far more than people think. He's not a rotation guy with Jackson, who will still see lots of snaps.

Exactly but he still won't get a ton of touches imo. He'll be out there far more as a decoy in his rookie year than he will as a playmaker.

Anybody expecting Spiller to go for 1200 rushing yards and 10 TD's I think is a little out of their mind.

Bulldog
04-23-2010, 07:55 AM
What did Chris Johnson's touches look like his rookie year? Spiller is the exact same size Johnson was when he came out. I for one expect Spiller to be much more than a decoy and return guy his rookie year. What's the point of drafting him if you're not going to put the ball in his hands and let him do what he does best. Gailey will find ways to get him touches and he'll have a very productive season.

Night Train
04-23-2010, 07:56 AM
Exactly but he still won't get a ton of touches imo. He'll be out there far more as a decoy in his rookie year than he will as a playmaker.

Anybody expecting Spiller to go for 1200 rushing yards and 10 TD's I think is a little out of their mind.

He'll catch a lot more passes than people think. Imagine him with the ball in space.

THATHURMANATOR
04-23-2010, 08:03 AM
I think they will bulk him up just a tad bit and he will be an every down back for us.

He has to be the starter come opening day. Buddy said a top ten pick has to be able to come in and start right away.
Why would he need to bulk up to be an every down back?